1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Ed's WoodScents Log Vape - Ed's TnT

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by Ed's TnT, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I haven't had the time to take more pictures but for now here's another quick shot of the gorgeous live edge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Prolusio, Mirimi, ArthurJ and 15 others like this.
  2. Ed's TnT

Ed's TnT Woodsman Manufacturer

Wow, had some great days with my boys these past few days, had em for 4 woot woot! So my 13 year old and I were in the shop working wood Saturday. He wanted to turn a pen, I dint know who it was for but knew he was doing Blackwood. He did his thing while I did mine. I was working up some Amboyna bodies, speaking of which I only have 2 left that arent spoken for. Thought I would have them to list at my site but they are going quick. I will post a pic of single that needs a home below. My son worked his piece I looked at it a time or two but was busy with all I had on my list. He got it done and put in my hand. He said I know you like Blackwood and I wanted to do it for you. Gosh my grin grew to a smile and talk about proud, wow what a great thing he did for me. I have been toting it everywhere clipped to my collar of my shirt. He asked me what do I think its worth, why heck its priceless I cant put a price on it nor will I try!

[​IMG]

It looks like it has gold clip center and tip but its copper. This piece is solid and sleek ohhh how I love Blackwood and how much more I love my son! What a kid I have, what 3 kids I have, I am such a lucky guy. Having come up the hard way and learned it just the same to have gone through all I have and am in a place now in my life to have 3 amazing sons that are truly upstanding respectful kind loving kids!

My oldest has 3 days left at his summer job and has a fire in him for work that is just awesome. I am so proud of him as well! My youngest is is growing so quickly, think its more that time is flying by. He has a bday in October, gosh they grow up so quick.

I was thinking and I know I mentioned it having gotten all those white dimmers, not knowing what I would do with them if anything I had to get some more dials lasered and thought why not get the white ones done as well. I remember a few of you all saying you would like to be able to see the numbers better. Thought why not get the white done as well and if any of you all want another dimmer with a white dial I will have em and when I get em I will post up here for you all to see.

Here is that Amboyna WS body

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have one more similar to this one I need to turn this week. The two pics above are front and back, if anyone would like to grab it pls let me know.

What a trio @mucsusn I hadnt realized you had 3, great scores bro, thanks for the post and I hope they are each treating you well!

@Reflections All is good my lady, was hoping you would see that post. Am anxious for January to get here and get for shooting sports to begin. My youngest is going to trip out when he sees what I got him for his bday, a competition Daisy 887 Air rifle with peep sights, ohhhh its the best I could get him being so little and young

[​IMG]

Was really neat seeing the plantation ruins, so glad I got to do that with my girl. I am so ready to spend the rest of my life with her, I miss her everyday we are apart. Just gets tougher and tougher! WS sales are up and down, up and down, gotta believe there will be some serious buzz very very soon. Got a heavy hitter bout to do a review and just the other day another heavy grabbed that old bog oak I posted above, only 4 of em in the world like that! Says he will be doing his thing very soon as well. Other than here not many people at all know anything about log vapes, its getting the word out to those that dont is what we all need to do. Such great devices that everyone should have. I hope all is well your way and thanks for stopping by always!!

@Quint My man that sure is a pretty piece you got there. Anxious to hear what you think, hope to soon.

Gotta get some rest tomorrow comes early, take care you all and for those in the path of Harvey I have been praying and will continue!

duff, Prolusio, Mirimi and 20 others like this.
  3. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes unfiltered

Wow Ed, that pen is sleek and beautiful! Your son is very talented, and you are blessed to have such a wonderful family! I hope sales pick up soon, I'm looking forward to the day I can purchase one.

duff, Prolusio, Ed's TnT and 8 others like this.
  4. pxl_jockey

pxl_jockey Barely-Known Member

So great to hear from you the other day, glad to hear about your family. That pen is just beautiful, wow he's definitely got the genes! Best wishes for everything going forward, I'll be hollering at you. :peace:

5. Reflections

Reflections Well-Known Member

What a beautiful pen your son made Ed!! I wish I had a dad like you!! :D
    Shame the pic of the gun your giving to son isnt showing. :cry:
    Wishing you luck on the new rave news coming for the Wood Scents..

6. Aezhenn

Aezhenn Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

This blackwood pen is really beautiful! Congratulations to your son, it's great :tup::tup::clap:
    (you're a lucky father too ;) )

You know I love wood but I'm voiceless behind this amboyna WS body :ko: It's simply gorgeous...
    Your shop is a place where beauty comes out :)

7. ThatBoringBitch

ThatBoringBitch Member

Well, I've spent the last week or two making my way through this thread. I've got a Purpleheart custom Woodscents on order and will be spending the next 2-4 weeks dreaming about it.

In the meantime, I'd love to know the differing opinions on carb holes for the wood stems. I keep going back and forth on if I want to have Ed add one or not. I seen a few people discuss it previously in the thread, but not too extensively so I hope it's fine to ask. I've got an M currently that I use the carb hole on by feathering it. How is the draw different with a log? The WS will be my first log after owning an Arizer Air and VC M. What are the advantages or disadvantages of adding a carb hole? If it doesn't need it then I don't want it, but I don't want to regret not getting it.

8. Square4Life

Square4Life Well-Known Member

Hey! Nice to see you over here on FC! You are going to be so pleased with the WS.

I know we have already spoken on the matter but, just for everyone else here (or the ones coming here for this same question), I personally prefer the stems to be WITHOUT a carb hole. My main reasoning for this is the no-hands capability. Not so much while using the WS but when using the stems with a cap. I like to be able to heat it up and hold it in my mouth/lips while doing something else (and not worry about holding down a carb hole).

From a WS only perspective, the draw is not too restrictive, IMO, nor does the vapor need to have a rush of fresh air in order to cut down on the harshness, heat, or anything. I just personally don't find much benefit to having a carb hole. I only like having carbs when there is a large air path/space which needs to be cleared without adding additional vapor.

Again, congrats on the purchase! The waiting is the worst part for me lol

duff, JCharles, Prolusio and 10 others like this.
  9. Stevenski

Stevenski Enter the Dragon

Could not agree more @Square4Life but others may have a different opinion. If I want a carb I will use a claisen & stopper but for direct draw or with a cap on the tip I have no need for a carb.

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I have several pieces with carbs, and without. In my opinion, without is the way to go. They're just easier to use.

11. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

I like both ways. I like using my VC M and it has a carb hole with my WS. I use it more than the wood stem. Using the carb hole I can get massive vapor clouds. Having options is a good thing.:):2c:

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

13. rosedale

rosedale Well-Known Member

What kind of glass is that? Did it come from DH Gate?

GreenHopper and Ed's TnT like this.
  14. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Prolusio, Ed's TnT, Gray Area and 4 others like this.
  15. Dynalowrider

Dynalowrider Well-Known Member

Those of you using the "M" with their WS. Are you using the stainless steel tip, or the titip? Doc

Ed's TnT and GreenHopper like this.
  16. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

I'm just gonna throw my :2c: in here.

The beauty of this setup is that you have options so you really don't need to worry too much.
    1. If you get a carb hole and wish you hadn't then plug it up with a tiny cork plug.
    2. If you get a carb hole and wish you hadn't but don't want a cork plug then ask Ed to turn you a spare stem.
    3. If you get one with no carb hole and wish you had then you can always add one. It's a small hole so if you get a small Pen Drill and go easy you'll be fine.
    4. If you get one with no carb hole and wish you had then you can always ask Ed for a spare stem with one. Basically option 2 in reverse
    5. There is the claisen option that @Stevenski mentioned.
    6. Lastly this is compatible with any VapCap so you can use almost any stem from DynaVap such as the M as @CarolKing mentioned or even get a custom one from @Winegums or @phattpiggie. I believe there may even be a member soon producing glass stems with Ti or SS tips.
    7. That reminds me, Ed sends this thing out with a whole bunch of stems including an all glass one with no carb hole. Also a stubby wood stem for glass. You could ask him to carb the stubby but not the main wood stem.
    Options, so many options. You'll drive yourself mad if you worry about it. Noting you do is going to spoil your experience as you'll always find a way to get the most out of a WS. Mostly because of the options :lol:

Hi @Ed's TnT :wave:, nice pen! Looks PRO, no wonder you're proud.

How are those CE certs coming along? I'm sure there are folk in the EU (and some now sorta in/out the EU) who are chomping at the bit for one of these.:nod:

duff, Prolusio, Ed's TnT and 9 others like this.
  17. rosedale

rosedale Well-Known Member

@Ed's TnT where do you drill your carb holes on your WONGs?

Ed's TnT likes this.
  18. Dynalowrider

Ok, I'll reword my question.I recently bought a WS. Is it me or is the "M" ss tip a little smaller inside than the ti tip. My "M" ss tip doesn't fit down over the WS heater, like the ti tip To tell the truth I don't see how they would differ in function or taste. Tell me if I'm wrong. I don't know myself.
    Maybe I have the wrong technique. I use the, (suck it up a straw loading). When the vapor drops off, the bottom half of the load is not all done, so I finish it off by heating with my Jarhead, and get one good hit.
    Thank you for your time. Doc

Ed's TnT, ThatBoringBitch and Alexis like this.
  19. Square4Life

I have seen other people state their SS M tip did not fit as good on the WS heater. Mine fits just fine, couldn't even tell a difference in fitment vs the Ti tip without visually inspecting. I can get my ruler out later and do some measuring for ya, just got to get it out of the guitar case. I guess it's just a variance in the machining process at DV.

For your other 'technique' issue...let me ask a few questions.

1.) How fine of a grind are you using? I personally have found a chunky, fluffy grind works much better than a fine grind.
    2.) How tight are you loading it? Are you sucking only or are you sucking and pushing the stem down into the ground material at the same time? Airflow is crucial. If you overload it and the material packs down and gets compressed, airflow will be impacted and you will get uneven extraction with the possibility of combustion. I like to suck it up until the chamber is 'full' and then take my finger and place it on the end of the tip and spin it pushing it down and making it visually appear about 75-80% full. Your grind consistency and chamber load amount goes hand in hand.
    3.) What level temp are you running at? The same throughout the entire load? Are you temp stepping?
    4.) Draw speed can also play a role although I personally don't find the draw speed to matter as much on the WS. Some vapes really benefit from a slower draw, and perhaps if you are trying to get that last hit off a load then a slower draw will work better although the WS heater seems to keep up quite nice. Just for reference, I usually run my WS on 10-10.5v.

That all being said, it sounds like you are almost extracting it fully if you are only achieving one additional hit from the jarhead. From my experience, it takes a bit more persistence to get full extraction on a convection unit vs a conduction unit BUT I can easily extract fully with my WS by cranking the temp up or finishing the load off with a long, slow draw.

20. mucsusn

mucsusn 60 going on 20

Hey, Doc, you are correct in that the M SS tip does not fit over the WS heater column like the Ti tip does. As for the other issue, I would try packing a little less. When I'm using my WS, I never fill the bowl like I do when I'm capping. I fill about halfway, and seldom have anything left after one good, deep and flavorful hit. Like everything else with these toys, YMMV. FWIW, all of my Ti tips (gens 3, 4 and 5) fit all three of my WS's. None of the SS tips fit any of the WS's.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  21. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

I have a VapCap "M" and it fits perfect with the WS. I bought my VC within the first couple months of production. The ti tip fits like it was made for my Woodscents. I've been told not all the DynaVape stems will fit the WS.

Edit
    I wasn't thinking.
    Sorry for the goof. I did have to take the ti tip off the Woodscents stem to add to the VapCap M so it would fit. I ended up buying an extra ti tip from @Ed's TnT so I don't have to switch things around all the time. Some VapCaps will fit without moderation I've been told.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Prolusio, Ed's TnT, Aezhenn and 10 others like this.
  22. Dynalowrider

I really like the way VapCaps work with my WS. The fun part of getting a new vape, is finding your own technique. Thank you folks. You have given me food for thought.
    I use a medium grind. Haven't tried nugs but once with the WS. On to research.:) Doc

Prolusio, DirtyD, Ed's TnT and 12 others like this.
  23. Square4Life

Oh how I love 'research' days :cool:

Let us know your findings. I love hearing how others use theirs. Never know what someone else thought of that I didn't. Plus, when I see things I haven't tried...I get to research more lol

24. ThatBoringBitch

ThatBoringBitch Member

Just wanted to say thanks to those of you who gave your thoughts on the carb holes. I think I've decided to go without. I do have the M to use if I should end up preferring it. Ed received my block of wood and I guess it's just waiting its turn to be turned. My excitement is seriously hard to contain. :D

25. CanadianBakin

CanadianBakin Well-Known Member

@Eyedunno - how do you like this rig? Can you taste it? How easy is it to clean, is ISO safe to use? I was looking for something to take camping and almost bought this combination. I ended up getting this instead, but I'm not really happy with it - water tends to splash up.

Speaking of camping, I took my WoodScents with me on a recent trip. I've been using the WS out on my deck with the powerbank, and found that I need to turn it up a bit more because of the wind outside. When I was camping, the temperature was around 10C/50F, so I had to turn it up all the way. When it got breezy, I'd cover the end with my hand and let it get nice and toasty before attaching the stem, then I'd cup my hand around it to break the wind while I used it. It worked pretty good, I only used my omnivap and torch once.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors