stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Just do not put too much flame to it

IMG_0494.jpg

(April fools photo repost)

I've serious doubts that an ordinary single flame jet lighter can do that.
The temperature of the flame was not enough to tint the tip green .
Not even cyan.

Heat oxidising Titanium follows the same coloring sequence and oxide layer thickness like
anodizing with electricity.

----------------------------------------------------------------
By applying heat to Titanium surface or anodizing it into ionic aquous solution ,
a transparent Titanium Oxide layer is formed.
This oxide layer reflects and refracts light waves which in turn cause the perception of color to the human eye. Color perception is caused by light interference between the oxide layer and base metal. Observed color is based on the thickness of the TiO2 “oxide” layer that grows during the anodize process. Since the oxide layer thickness can be controlled a wide array of colors can be produced without the use of dyes. Interference color wavelengths are formed by the refraction of light off of and through the thin titanium oxide layer. It is not the oxide itself that is perceived by the viewer, but its effect on light waves.
Only certain wavelengths can be seen based on the thickness of layer at any certain point. The oxide layer depth is measured in angstroms (Å=1/100,000,000 centimeter). This layer can vary in thickness from 500 to 1,000Å+ depending on the color. If the visible wavelengths are read as transmittance, fraction of incident light at a specified wavelength that passes through a sample, and graphed over voltage applied as color spectrum can be observed. This spectrum shows how the wavelengths change and cycle over again as the voltage increases. As the oxide layer grows wavelengths repeat into second order colors. After a thickness of ~3000 Å, the wavelength repetition is so sudden no color can be observed.

Picture33.png

Sources : http://techmetals.com/medical-coatings/
https://www.reddit.com/r/balisong/comments/43lsjb/guide_to_homemade_electro_anodizing_titanium/

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
So the M is apparently good for what I call ' Frankensteining' or putting parts of different vapes together into a chimera-vape. Never intended by original makers but a piece from that and one from this- you can come up with a Nietzsche-Super man vape. Yes you! M tip and tube assembly( no cap) is perfect air tight fit as longer MP crammed down into ceramic oven of my Pulsar APX. Becomes the new more comfortable MP. No click involved, APX oven with M stuck in it = worlds smallest 'log vape'. One can load APX oven and put M minus cap in as MP, or load M tip and insert into APX oven just give it xtra heat sink time. Hope this post is somewhat clear, super high from above M'ethods. I bet there's cheap portable electric batt vapes besides pulsar apx that have similar bowl size and provide further options... More testing to follow. Cheers to all. D.
Can we get a video of the APX being used in "portable log" configuration with the VapCap? Pretty please? :D

alltoreup

Damn you, party liquor
That's similar to the color chart I use when I anodize my stems. I got one of my custom Ti stems anodized to a beautiful gold up in that 60 volt range using 9v batteries in series. Made my Saints themed vapcap look even better. I'll break it out again when it's football season. :brow: Right now she's wearing a heat anodized rainbow body for springtime.
:leaf:

MinnBobber

S model spinning ??

I just got the Ti woody XL S model to hopefully help with being able to accurately spin it easier. Is there any method/technique to get the MP to spin easier?? Does it break-in or can you lube it to spin more freely?
With it held in my left hand, MP in the "crotch" of first and second fingers, the MP spins when I spin the main body :(
I was assuming it would be a steady/stable base and the body would spin above it.

Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks

MinnBobber,
Reactions: grokit

xlr8shun

Howdy doodie kids, does everyone know what time it is? Thats right its everyones favorite topic, MAGNETS...

No seriously.. mine came today, and the results are in.. check out the pics.. everything is self explanitory...

Axially and Diametrically magnetized magnets https://imgur.com/gallery/6Vubq

And if in the future, the images go missing for some reason... you need diametrically magnetized magnets for your vapcap cap to sit in the middle of the magnet.

Cheers!

snackmaster

Howdy doodie kids, does everyone know what time it is? Thats right its everyones favorite topic, MAGNETS...

No seriously.. mine came today, and the results are in.. check out the pics.. everything is self explanitory...

And if in the future, the images go missing for some reason... you need diametrically magnetized magnets for your vapcap cap to sit in the middle of the magnet.

Cheers!

Doesn't get much more clear than that. Thanks for figuring it out!

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
My week started out terrible, several mishaps and loses made Monday a piss poor day.
Put the day behind me and carried on and got my head down.
The week got better and better, postman dropped off some great bits of wood, tube and tooling.
I thought the icing on the cake was the arrival, today, of one of those shiney green envelopes full of loveliness, but it wasn't.
Out of the blue I get an email from a customer telling me how much he loves the stem I made for him a month or so ago, proper smile on my face time.

George and the @VapCap team are the dogs danglies and I can't thank them all enough for the work they do.
The buzz at VC HQ over the last month or so must have been immense with the roll out of the M and build up for the 420 sale.
Thank you people and thank you to @krom my week couldn't have ended any better.

Now it's M time, I can see my usage going up over the weekend.

Have a great weekend everyone.

ritual

My Nonavong came in today!

T1MrcWG.jpg

Burl + Cocobolo mouthpiece.

I also ordered a dynastash in Bocote but apparently if you get a nonavong with a mouthpiece, that makes it an XL, so you need the XL stash.... :rofl:

I called up DynaVap and they're going to send me an XL stash and have me mail this one back. It looks awesome, so whoever ends up buying it is lucky!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I ordered a Burl Nonavong body. When I saw George promote this piece in his video I knew I had to have it. I was especially looking forward to those 'washboard grooves' to help find the carb. So you can imagine my disappointment when I opened this beautiful Burl Nonavong and the grooves were very, very, faint all but missing, mostly missing. Barely noticeable at all. According to the great people at dynavape there was a tool problem that casue the faint grooves. No problem! I have files I can make my own grooves with. When you get a lemon you need to make lemonade. Sure, it also took being a dumbass taking a set of files to a $55 dollar Nonavong Burl body but I was going to make something of this 'groove-less Nonavong'. What I ended up with I think could possibly be a slight improvement on the small 'file type' grooves on the current Nonavongs. One thing about my 'big-bump' version is that it is more tactile in the sense you can feel the bumps with your finger pads (not just your finger nails) or even the side of your finger. The carb hole was a bit off centered and a bit too small, so I also enlarged the carb hole by a hair. I also wanted a way to identify the carb hole on the top edge so there is also a cut feature for that.

:tup:

groovy_VC.jpg

To me that looks like you've done an awesome job.

snackmaster

I ordered a Burl Nonavong body. When I saw George promote this piece in his video I knew I had to have it. I was especially looking forward to those 'washboard grooves' to help find the carb. So you can imagine my disappointment when I opened this beautiful Burl Nonavong and the grooves were very faint all but missing, mostly missing. Barely noticeable at all. According to the great people at dynavape there was a tool problem that casue the faint grooves. No problem! I have files I can make my own grooves with. When you get a lemon you need to make lemonade. Sure, it also took being a dumbass taking a set of files to a $55 dollar Nonavong Burl body but I was going to make something of this 'groove-less Nonavong'. What I ended up with I think could possibly be a slight improvement on the small 'file type' grooves on the current Nonavongs. One thing about my 'big-bump' version is that it is more tactile in the sense you can feel the bumps with your finger pads (not just your finger nails) or even the side of your finger. The carb hole was a bit off centered and a bit too small, so I also enlarged the carb hole by a hair. I also wanted a way to identify the carb hole on the top edge so there is also a cut feature for that.

:tup:

groovy_VC.jpg

That looks great! I really like the washboard feature on the nonavongs, but it's still a bit hard to locate the airport hole IMO - it's small and kinda gets lost in all that texture. I ended up manually spinning a countersink bit in mine to enlarge it some and that helps.

My Nonavong came in today!

T1MrcWG.jpg

Burl + Cocobolo mouthpiece.

I also ordered a dynastash in Bocote but apparently if you get a nonavong with a mouthpiece, that makes it an XL, so you need the XL stash.... :rofl:

I called up DynaVap and they're going to send me an XL stash and have me mail this one back. It looks awesome, so whoever ends up buying it is lucky!

Ugh, these 2-tone burls have got me :drool:

alltoreup

Damn you, party liquor
PSA - for all you dynastash owners. Make sure you keep an eye on the magnet if you have it attached to another piece of metal. I have an original bubinga stash that is rounded on both sides and it's seen well over a years use. The other day I had it attached to my metal patio table and when I pulled it away the magnet stayed behind. All those sessions over time from cooling a hot cap had weakened the glue. I didn't notice because the vapcap itself wouldn't pull the magnet out of the stash but the bigger amount of metal of the table was enough to pull it out of the indention in the stash. Who knows how long ago the glue had given up. No big deal since I was right there but thought I'd mention to everyone. Make sure you don't leave a man behind!!

Easy as pie to glue back on. The magnet back was sanded a bit to help it adhere when it was glued in originally so they did all they could to keep it in place but heat is a bitch on glue. Especially over time.

mrb

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

Cheers!

No Way! In that case I obviously need to go back to school. And probably apologise for a previous post i made. Well thanks for doing the hard work and buying/trying out magnets. . .

Can I just check one thing? The Diametric magnets you have bought that work well. . do they stick together edge to edge in a row like in this picture?

anonymous picture share sites

Cheers

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
So I got adventurous today and decided to heat anodize the Ti tip on my old Woody. Thanks for the idea, @stardustsailor. :) I think it turned out pretty decent. Here's a pic next to my other, newer Ti tip for comparison:

iVWkbGD.jpg

The inside of the bowl is a sweet blue-violet color. It's really hard to get a nice picture, looks awesome in person though:

MmjUXBk.jpg

The assembled Woody:

NJmtXHz.jpg

I also cleaned up the cap, the discoloration that had built up came off real easy with the rough side of a scotch-brite scrub sponge and a drop of water. Light, gentle pressure is all that's needed. It scratched the cap slightly but no big deal, next time I'll use real metal polish or something.

I'm happy with my work. With the colorful tip and the cleaner cap it's almost like having a new VapCap. Almost. :spliff:

Keep on cappin' on! :razz:

:peace:

Archaicrevival

@Archaicrevival, a very brave thing to share this with us and I wish you all the best for Tuesday.
As far as I can see as long as you can prove that you feel better with out the meds and tell them you've stopped MJ as well how can they force you to take anything.
If you're not a danger to yourself or others how can they justify keeping you 'quiet' with meds and incarceration.

Thank you for your words of hope.

"Every Moment is a profound opportunity."

Last edited:

xlr8shun

No Way! In that case I obviously need to go back to school. And probably apologise for a previous post i made. Well thanks for doing the hard work and buying/trying out magnets. . .

Can I just check one thing? The Diametric magnets you have bought that work well. . do they stick together edge to edge in a row like in this picture?

[img removed]

Cheers

yes they do stick together on their sides.. but also so do axially magnetized ones (if you just turn them over so the N and S poles are opposite)

the poles are what is important, N is attracted to S. the closer N is to S. the stronger the pull.

the diametric disc magnets i bought from K&J (https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D82DIA) do not pull the cap off of my M, YMMV. i personally do not think they're strong enough. if you mount it in something "dynastash style".. then it will hold up your vapcap vertically just fine.

if you want my honest opinion. the cubes are where its at. they are not at all as fragile as the discs (see * below) and they can be very STRONG because of the way they're designed. i have a pretty tight M cap and it will pull it off 90% of the time. when i use this configuration: stick one inside my StickyBrick JR top, and one on the outside (sandwich the ~1/8" thick piece of wood). it doesnt matter diametrically or axially with cubes because you can just rotate the cube 90 degrees to the right or left and change the direction of the poles.

the description for those B888 (N42) cubes said they were strong. it was hard to separate them by hand (sliding them). i wonder how much stronger the N52 cubes are.. and if i could slide them apart with my bare hands.

careful, dont let those things pinch you either, it doesnt feel good

*i have broke 2 of the 3/4" dia x 1/16" thk, axially charged ones just from handling them. ALWAYS slide them away from each other to separate them, never pull. you're working way to hard pulling against them, and the metals are actually fragile.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
yes they do stick together on their sides.. but also so do axially magnetized ones (if you just turn them over so the N and S poles are opposite)

the poles are what is important, N is attracted to S. the closer N is to S. the stronger the pull.

the diametric disc magnets i bought from K&J (https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D82DIA) do not pull the cap off of my M, YMMV. i personally do not think they're strong enough. if you mount it in something "dynastash style".. then it will hold up your vapcap vertically just fine.

if you want my honest opinion. the cubes are where its at. they are not at all as fragile as the discs (see * below) and they can be very STRONG because of the way they're designed. i have a pretty tight M cap and it will pull it off 90% of the time. when i use this configuration: stick one inside my StickyBrick JR top, and one on the outside (sandwich the ~1/8" thick piece of wood). it doesnt matter diametrically or axially with cubes because you can just rotate the cube 90 degrees to the right or left and change the direction of the poles.

the description for those B888 (N42) cubes said they were strong. it was hard to separate them by hand (sliding them). i wonder how much stronger the N52 cubes are.. and if i could slide them apart with my bare hands.

careful, dont let those things pinch you either, it doesnt feel good

*i have broke 2 of the 3/4" dia x 1/16" thk, axially charged ones just from handling them. ALWAYS slide them away from each other to separate them, never pull. you're working way to hard pulling against them, and the metals are actually fragile.
I was gonna ask you if the cubes made more sense for a table top magnet (as opposed to glued to something) and I surmise that your answer would be yes. Gonna check some out, I think. There don't seem to be a lot of choices for diametric disc shaped ones.

xlr8shun

I was gonna ask you if the cubes made more sense for a table top magnet (as opposed to glued to something) and I surmise that your answer would be yes. Gonna check some out, I think. There don't seem to be a lot of choices for diametric disc shaped ones.

Yeah, im gonna use the cubes for my tabletop... https://imgur.com/a/IFQty

I didnt find many options for diametric discs either... at least that were very strong

Last edited:

DirtyD

That's similar to the color chart I use when I anodize my stems. I got one of my custom Ti stems anodized to a beautiful gold up in that 60 volt range using 9v batteries in series. Made my Saints themed vapcap look even better. I'll break it out again when it's football season. :brow: Right now she's wearing a heat anodized rainbow body for springtime.
So refreshing to hear from a Saints fan. I was born and raised in God's country, The great city of New Orleans for 30 yrs. Had to evacuate b/c Katrina. Live in a great place in Southeast coast, but it ain't the home of the world champion New Orleans Saints. BLESS YOU BOYS!

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
So I got adventurous today and decided to heat anodize the Ti tip on my old Woody. Thanks for the idea, @stardustsailor. :) I think it turned out pretty decent. Here's a pic next to my other, newer Ti tip for comparison:

iVWkbGD.jpg

The inside of the bowl is a sweet blue-violet color. It's really hard to get a nice picture, looks awesome in person though:

MmjUXBk.jpg

The assembled Woody:

NJmtXHz.jpg

I also cleaned up the cap, the discoloration that had built up came off real easy with the rough side of a scotch-brite scrub sponge and a drop of water. Light, gentle pressure is all that's needed. It scratched the cap slightly but no big deal, next time I'll use real metal polish or something.

I'm happy with my work. With the colorful tip and the cleaner cap it's almost like having a new VapCap. Almost. :spliff:

Keep on cappin' on! :razz:

:peace:

Very nice !
I like the golden-red color of the tube ,underneath the fins.
True that the colors don't show that good on pics.

Maybe it's because that it's not actual coloring of the metal surface but
is the reflected light through the oxide layer that creates those colors.
And of course a camera sensor & it's processing software
function a lot differently from the human vision.
That's probably the reason behind thta the colors of anodized Titanium
don't show very good on pics .

A more uniform color is achieved by electrically anodizing the titanium tip.
It's not that difficult either.
A bit trickier than heat oxidising ,but the results look far better.

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes
Some facts for VapCapers. Below you see butane tank capacity of some popular torches measured in grams. Both Vertigo lighters are sold by Dynavap. Single torch is widely available under numerous names, mine is Zico.

4 torches - 2,9 gr
3 torches - 3,7 gr
1 torch - 9,5 gr​

Do your math.
5OyI9RRl.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom