flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Yes ,judging from what we all 've experienced from Dynavap ,
performance will most probably be affected.
To the better ,of course.

If you do not have any problem with the aesthetics of the new 5 finned Ti tip,
then you should go for it ,by all means !

This and post just above. I think it's safe to assume George isn't just randomly changing things. My guess is that there are many ideas tried we aren't even aware of - especially since DV is doing so much of the work in house.

As things evolve, they are bound to get better! I don't see George as someone that is going to tweak to cut corners or just to reduce production costs. So far, any updates to VCs and parts or accessories are always an improvement, and don't think we'll see that change.

The only downside is that I always want the latest and greatest - both for comparison and because I'm confident updates lead to even better performance. Having trouble resisting getting the new 5 fin Ti, but keep telling myself there are other changes afoot and I should wait to pick up a few changes this time instead of jumping on just this one. So far, so good - but it ain't easy!! Fuckin VCAS!!

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
This and post just above. I think it's safe to assume George isn't just randomly changing things. My guess is that there are many ideas tried we aren't even aware of - especially since DV is doing so much of the work in house.

As things evolve, they are bound to get better! I don't see George as someone that is going to tweak to cut corners or just to reduce production costs. So far, any updates to VCs and parts or accessories are always an improvement, and don't think we'll see that change.

The only downside is that I always want the latest and greatest - both for comparison and because I'm confident updates lead to even better performance. Having trouble resisting getting the new 5 fin Ti, but keep telling myself there are other changes afoot and I should wait to pick up a few changes this time instead of jumping on just this one. So far, so good - but it ain't easy!! Fuckin VCAS!!

Efficiency and "looks" ,are two totally different things .
One can exist without the presence of the other.

Everyone has it's own taste about aesthetics and looks.
Most probably the new 5 fin Ti tip is efficiency -wise better than the old 7 fin .
There's not a matter of "taste" about that .

Still ,my opinion about it's looks will not change,at all .
It's ugly -compared to the old one .
Better at it's dedicated job might be ,but still remains ugly to my own pair of eyes .

Moreover I'm already satisfied with the operation of the 7 fin tip .
Is it something that urges for further development ?
I'd say no,if you'd asked me.
It works more than great.
And has AWESOME looks.

I've never implied that George "is going to tweak to cut corners or just to reduce production costs " as the Dynavap's products are made by AAA class materials.Titanium,316L steel ,Exotic woods,etc.
Let alone the HI-END level of workmanship.

But George seems to be moving in mysterious ways .
That is what makes him stand out (and way above ) from the rest of the competition.
Everything should be expected from him and the Dynavap team.

I totally agree with you .
"My guess is that there are many ideas tried we aren't even aware of - especially since DV is doing so much of the work in house."

Cheers.

Last edited:

DorianGray

so then, lets finally get down to the magnet issue..

i bought: (a week or so ago..)
dc1-n52 3/4"x1/16" disc axially magnetized
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DC1-N52&cat=168
results in magnet attracting to the edge.. no good..

so i ordered some more, this time:
d82dia 1/2"x1/8" disc diametrically magnetized
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D82DIA

and just for good measure, some of these:
b888 1/2"x1/2"x1/2" cube
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B888

the cubes and diametric discs should be here friday, one of these HAS to work.. (hopefully one works, lol)

my theory is, axially magnetized disc magnets have a magnetic field that look like this:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/images/blog/magsw6.jpg
where does the magnet stick? to the end, where the strongest pull is, where all the little arcs get tighter and shorter. right where the north and south poles meet

look at a diametrically magnetized disc magnet magnetic field:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/images/blog/magsw9.jpg
where is the shortest arcs at here? split right down the middle, basically the pole gets rotated 90 degrees to change the effect. if the strongest part is in the center of the magnet, then the cap should stick to the center.

the cubes i got just because they are cube, i can rotate them as needed to have a horizontal or vertical pole, rotated on the x or y axis in 90 degree intervals. meaning i could mount it just about any way i needed, it almost HAS to work, if the cap is repelled at the middle, rotate it 90 degrees, the poles are orientated opposite now, so theoretically, if the discs worked like i think they will, then the cube should work the same way, the cap should attract in the middle

once i figure out how the poles need to be orientated, we can start looking at a stronger magnet, unfortunately if its a diametric disc that ends up working we might not get one that has a really strong pull.. i dont think they make them, maybe a custom order kinda deal, i dont know

looking forward to your findings with the magnets.

It kinda sucks that the 7 finned version will be discontinued. I've been using my vapcap daily for almost a year and I have never got plant material in-between the fins. Also, the idea of making the vapcap 20% lighter does not appeal to me, not in exchange of removing 2 fins. It's not like i'm going to be running several kilometres with it hanging pinched between my lips :lol:

The new announcement makes the 7fin omni the limited edition cadillac of vapcaps. :)

GeeWhiz

I sure will. I've had fun making these dynastash with scraps of wood from my workshop (mostly oak & mahogany). And while I'm ultimately not planning to turn accessory maker I could maybe do a small run. . ..

Out of interest, what is it people are looking for beyond what is offered from Dynavap? I myself have been playing with two concepts. . .
1) Smaller than the official Dynastash but same functionality for on the go. .
2) Bigger with storage for everything: Dynavap, stash, lighter, spares. . .
But I've since decided I'm not interested in space for lighters after all. Seems pointless as lighters are going to come and go . . .

What is it you guys want? I'm wondering if there is a common theme. . .

A combination of a stash and a battery driven device like the one Pipes has been developing. You place the VC in the hole and 5 seconds later it clicks.. when you are done you return it to its storage compartment as well as clean out the AVB in the chamber designed for it. :)

stark1

Lonesome Planet
:brow:
lZFa5PO.jpg

Wood is Good, Metal hits the Pedal.

stressed

yay, i got my order yesterday.

i got an omnivap, an M, a dynastash, a 2 flame lighter, and a 3 flame, a bunch of butane, a water device from DDave, some med kits for the vaps.

one lighter takes the butane like a champ, the other one has the butane shooting out instead of shooting in and i can see the fumes. i need to read up on them. :)

no pics yet, too lazy to clean stuff up. i cleaned up the omni and have been getting better with it as my experimentation continues. i've gone though well over a gram. the cap holds a max of about .07 of a gram, it's kind of a tight fit, .05 is what i average per bag full of vapor with my herbie so it's my go to.

i've burnt it twice. maybe thrice. cleaned it up and tried again. i'm going to review a couple vids and get my technique down better.

with the rubber tip, it fits perfectly into ratchet's nipple thingy which fits perfectly into my bubbler. huge hits off that didn't make me cough. i find some hits to be lovely and some to be too harsh so i have some work to do.

it's so small it made me smile. perfect for stealth. and in need, i can throw it a 1/4 block. try and find it copper! :)

i'm medically legal but they frown on doing it in public.

i haven't cleaned up the M yet. i'll get good with the omni first then experiment.

i'm like a scientist! :myday:

i write right handed and golf and bat left so with this setup, holding the lighter in my right hand feels most natural, but twirling the vap in my right hand is the one that works best. so i'm lighting with my left and twirling with the right. it feels off a bit.

Last edited:

Dynalowrider

Ahhh yes you are getting wise to George and how he keeps you wanting for "New and Improved". Smart man that. He not only keeps you coming back for more, but actually makes worthwhile improvements to get you to give him your money. Now that's a smart man.
I love the improvements. I look forward to all of George's improvements. They make my growing old a lot less problematic, and a lot easier to endure. Doc

Chryos

In my research of the perfect wood for my Vapcap, I ordered a new Burl body for my Omni NonaVong. I love the golden woods and I wanted to have one, so I asked every time I ordered in the note to send me gold cocobolos, then a burl.

From top to bottom all of my bodies in order of aquirance (I didn't ask for any specific color for the first one)
iyuis3.jpg

The burl nonavong is wonderful !
BQVOyb.jpg

But, as you can see, none of them are really gold. I was bored to buy new ones each time to change the color, and I decided to try to dye (not paint it, to keep the wood patterns visible) the wood myself ! So I bought some liquid tincture for wood, one bottle of the holy golden color, and one bottle of black tincture.

I applied the golden one on the burl body, and it gave it some golden shades, and a nice optical color shifting effect (the picture doesn't show the real color)
cAAMCt.jpg

But this was too dark for me, and the golden shade wasn't very obvious. So I tried to apply some hydrogen peroxide to give it a lighter color.

And then... *____* !!!
M5WvrC.jpg

Now this is now the most beautiful Vapcap I've ever seen. Behold this golden burl Omni Nonavong !

So I did the same process to my other bodies and mouthpieces to have them all different.
UccMyr.jpg

So, I now have only black and gold Vapcap, it's exactly what I wanted ^^ .

As a bonus picture (yes, we all love pictures), here is a Dynavap tinsel ! (this is my woods drying on a string x) )
aPIXyP.jpg

Anyone tried to customize their wooden pieces ?

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Ahhh yes you are getting wise to George and how he keeps you wanting for "New and Improved". Smart man that. He not only keeps you coming back for more, but actually makes worthwhile improvements to get you to give him your money. Now that's a smart man.
I love the improvements. I look forward to all of George's improvements. They make my growing old a lot less problematic, and a lot easier to endure. Doc
That is one aspect.The new improved models and parts.
The other aspect ,which at present is not so obvious ,are the collectibles.

In few years time from now,don't be suprised if you 'll come across to some E-bay auctions
advertising "Original 2G Dynavap Titanium Tip " and having
starting prices at the $$$ region.

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

As for the cap cracking under repetitive heat 'n' cool cycles ,
MAYBE there's such a possibility,but only on certain caps .
Let me explain .
I ve already some caps ,under really heavy use-and I mean really heavy use ,trust me on that ,you would not believe me if I told you...
One of them MAYBE it will show some cracking in the future .
Why ?
On that particular cap the scoop doesn't exactly follow the curvature of the circular cap ,
but rather has a mind of it's own and prefers to be almost flat .
I've tried with some pliers to make it "curvy " ,but without much of a success.
Since the rest of the cap is heated and cooled down repeatedly ,the metal
of the cap slowly over time looses it's stiffness and becomes rather soft.
Still the scoop is not "flame-treated " like the rest of the cap,thus still holding it's stiffness.
Thus at a certain point the scoop (being rather flat ) MAYBE will start cracking the cap ,
at points of stress.

This is why I asked Dynavap if they have any future plans for a titanium cap. I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, the SS ones are $20 a pop as it is so a titanium cap could easily go for twice as much. But, if it would last a lifetime and not get discolored from the flame application like the SS cap does, it might be worth it to me since I plan on having my Ti VC around forever. I've also wondered what a ti cap would do for performance compared to the SS cap.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Anyone tried to customize their wooden pieces ?
Awesome collection you got there !
Myself I favor the dark and/or red wood.

I've sanded my burl nonavong with the finest grit (2500 Eu ) till it became quite glossy .
It feels like holding an old smoking pipe.
Also I ve placed some colored epoxy inside the "Dynavap " logo ,
to make it look like turquoise gemstone inlay.

Also I ve sanded (till glossy) the first 5 mm inside the inner tube of the wood stem,
to make the insertion/extraction of the tip and condenser easier and to prolong
o-ring service life,by reducing the abrasion of an ex-rough (hard)wood surface to the o-rings.

Kalessin

This is why I asked Dynavap if they have any future plans for a titanium cap. I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, the SS ones are $20 a pop as it is so a titanium cap could easily go for twice as much. But, if it would last the rest of our lives, and not get discolored from the flame application like the SS cap does, it might be worth it to me.
My ti tip fins get a nasty, discolored build up on it from heat that I have to scrape every several months, so would a titanium cap really avoid discoloration any better? I'd still totally buy one if they made them, but more for increased longevity

hinglemccringleberry

My ti tip fins get a nasty, discolored build up on it from heat that I have to scrape every several months, so would a titanium cap really avoid discoloration any better? I'd still totally buy one if they made them, but more for increased longevity
Actually scratch that, I shouldn't jump to the conclusion that titanium won't discolor. Maybe the DV team has already considered this. I would think however that it will stand up to thousands of heat cycles in alittle bit more durable fashion than the SS, but who knows

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: needalift

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
This is why I asked Dynavap if they have any future plans for a titanium cap. I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, the SS ones are $20 a pop as it is so a titanium cap could easily go for twice as much. But, if it would last a lifetime and not get discolored from the flame application like the SS cap does, it might be worth it to me since I plan on having my Ti VC around forever. I've also wondered what a ti cap would do for performance compared to the SS cap.

Chryos

Awesome collection you got there !
Myself I favor the dark and/or red wood.

I've sanded my burl nonavong with the finest grit (2500 Eu ) till it became quite glossy .
It feels like holding an old smoking pipe.
Also I ve placed some colored epoxy inside the "Dynavap " logo ,
to make it look like turquoise gemstone inlay.

Also I ve sanded (till glossy) the first 5 mm inside the inner tube of the wood stem,
to make the insertion/extraction of the tip and condenser easier and to prolong
o-ring service life,by reducing the abrasion of an ex-rough (hard)wood surface to the o-rings.

Funny, I also sanded one of my mouthpiece with some 2000 Eu paper, and sanded the inside too to insert the tip and the omni mouthpiece more easily (btw it wouldn't fit if I didn't do that oO...).
I saw your turquoise inlay post earlier, nice customization !

I'm interrested to anodize the omni system and titanium tip, but I don't really know how much it will cost me. I'll search a bit more on this.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
A Ti cap would discolour even faster than SS and form many bright oxide colours. So Ti really isn't the best choice. Something like Inconel would be the ultimate cap material.

Kalessin

I just consider the discoloration of the cap from the heat as being "well-loved".
Yeah, the heat discoloration on the cap doesn't bother me, but the stuff that builds up on my fins that I have to scrape off is quite unsightly. I need to get some steel wool or something to get it all off at once, but usually I just use my stash tool to scratch it just clean enough to not bother me.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
I'm interrested to anodize the omni system and titanium tip, but I don't really know how much it will cost me. I'll search a bit more on this.
Myself I've stripped the tip from it's o-rings ,hold it with a pair of tweezers at the bowl section
and used my single flame torch lighter to anodize the tip.
It took about 7-9 secs before the tip became gold tinted in color and in the next 5-6 secs it became purple-deep blue.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So, I'm a little short on caps and need to swap them sometimes when I swap VCs. The cap currently on my Nonavong is pilfered from an earlier OG. I have noticed that that cap dances around a lot. When it clicks, especially on the cool down click, it tends to jump a couple millimeters. Kind of like a little animation. The upside is there is no missing the click and it makes me giggle a bit. :p

PeteSeattle

Myself I've stripped the tip from it's o-rings ,hold it with a pair of tweezers at the bowl section
and used my single flame torch lighter to anodize the tip.
It took about 7-9 secs before the tip became gold tinted in color and in the next 5-6 secs it became purple-deep blue.

Just do not put too much flame to it

IMG_0494.jpg

(April fools photo repost)

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Just do not put too much flame to it

IMG_0494.jpg

(April fools photo repost)
I learned this lesson when trying to forge Ti. It's VERY dangerous when it burns. Nothing will put out the metal once it starts burning.

EDIT: Water and CO2 denature when trying to extinguish it and only feed the burning/cause the metal to explode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom