Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I got up to some lathing this morning and turned out a custom 14mm Vong body. This is maple that I hand logged myself. Typically I use it for knife handles. Yes, the condenser still works.
255qtlh.jpg

antiksink

Rouge Warrior
Just found (and ordered) some 8mm ID 10mm OD Carbon Fiber tubes for a helicopter kit...
Hopefully I can make a body out of it, I'm a little weary of the epoxy used and quality but we'll see..

Hey @Winegums that is really nice! I just found a burl knot on a fallen tree in my back yard. I am drying it out now but I'm hoping to try to make a stem out of that too or maybe a stash. I don't have a lathe and know nothing about wood turning but I'm going to try with what I got. If you have any suggestions on where to start that would be great.. Even maybe just what type of dill bit to use to achieve a smooth 8mm bore? Do you go less and then hone out until the ti tip fits? I started to try to learn by watching how to make a pen body...

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Just found (and ordered) some 8mm ID 10mm OD Carbon Fiber tubes for a helicopter kit...
Hopefully I can make a body out of it, I'm a little weary of the epoxy used and quality but we'll see..

Hey @Winegums that is really nice! I just found a burl knot on a fallen tree in my back yard. I am drying it out now but I'm hoping to try to make a stem out of that too or maybe a stash. I don't have a lathe and know nothing about wood turning but I'm going to try with what I got. If you have any suggestions on where to start that would be great.. Even maybe just what type of dill bit to use to achieve a smooth 8mm bore? Do you go less and then hone out until the ti tip fits? I started to try to learn by watching how to make a pen body...
Let that burl dry outside under shelter for at least the summer then, bring it inside next winter and it should be ready around this time next year. It might have large cracks, voids, and other bits that make the majority of it not suitable for use unless it is resin filled. Instead of waiting to use this burl I would find another hard wood to work with that isn't too expensive.

Unless you have a small pen lathe like the Unimat I own you're going to have a hard time lathing it without some special pen making jigs in a big lathe. If you do not have a lathe I would point you in the direction of square or rectangular stems or hand shaped stems that do not require a lathe. Stems can be beautifully shaped by hand with a rasp and a bit of sand paper. I recommend drilling the hole first so that you don't put a huge amount of work into something only to have the bit wander and destroy it.

I ended up using a 21/64" brad point bit because they tend to wander less when drilling through figured woods. I would recommend at least having a drill press on hand with a vice so that you can clamp your piece of wood down and drill a nice straight hole. The 21/64" hole is actually a better fit for the x-rings and o-rings such that it doesn't feel like I'm going to snag them with that extra .014" on the diameter.

I hope this helps. It's not too hard to drill a hole in some wood and make a really nice stem. Should be a half day project at most.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
WOW! @Winegums Both the shape and the wood choice are beautiful!! What a lovely VonG!
255qtlh.jpg
Thanks! I did it totally free hand with the functionality I wanted in mind. I didn't drill a carb hole so I'm not struggling to find the hole and stuff it into my water piece at the same time now. It does fit a standard length condenser tube so it's not an issue to drill one if I ever want a carb hole. The two grooves near the tip side are really nice for gripping the body and pulling it out of the joint.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Winegums gotta love the Vapcap for setting off the creative juices. Very nice.

@antiksink Sleeves I go thru at 5mm then 8mm. Less drill wonder to worry about when drilling short lengths.

I drill my 100mm stems thru at 4mm then 5.1mm for the condenser and 8mm for the tip, 150mm is the longest stem I've done with a 3.5mm drill bit.

I have a shed full of tools some of which I may never use but you can never have enough of them.

It's possible to do it all by hand but it'll be a challenge and burr wood is unpredictable when drilling and shaping.

This took a lot of effort to try and keep square

Oh Boy, this is my first post on FC forums. I started using cannabis about a year ago, and started vaporizing with the Pax 1. After about 3 months, I looked for a new daily driver. I asked on /r/vaporents and found the OG Vapcap. After a few months of contemplating on it, I bought it, and I was hooked! It instantly became my daily driver due to the lack of need to recharge and less often need to clean to work properly, which is a huge change from the deep clean every 5 bowls for the Pax or else it didn't work well, and 1 hour battery charges that you couldn't use it while charging. After 2 months of using it as a daily driver and going from 1 time a week to 2-3 times a week, I felt the VAS kick in.

I really didn't care for battery vapes anymore besides the Firewood 4 maybe, but the price and availability was a factor. I also thought about the Ti-Woody but it didn't seem like an upgrade besides aesthetically. So I started to research it a bit and found this thread. I started around 330 till present and worked my way back to forward.

The most interesting thing to see in the first 50-100 pages or so was the initial intrigue in a wonderfully aesthetic battery-less vaporizer in a largely electronic vaporizer dominated space. Then I was surprised by 400+ pages of activity from the fan base, DIY'ers, newcomers, the Vapcap team (George, Matt, and IT guy.) I learned about the way the VapCap worked and how the DIY aspect (not that I can do jack, but I'd love to get one of those @phatpiggie stems one day.)

I still wasn't 100% sold on it. Till I read two updates the improved adjustable bowl Ti Tips and Laser engravings. The improved tips were an instant sell to me, and the laser engravings gave more character to the Vapcap - and the Black Friday sale [of course.] I ordered a cocobolo ti-woody-s with a bloodwood MP, and a Wenge DynaStash ER.

I could not be happier than I am with my new vapcap and DynaStash ER.

CjwXgTu.jpg

Q9CFUmm.jpg
BQGLITK.jpg

The pictures do not fully capture the actually color and grain of the piece. It's much darker and more orange than yellow.

5AShyYH.jpg

The engraving looks great. I got the mandala/lotus I saw in one of the first updates. I would love to put my own spin to it, but I didn't know what to put on it. I find it to be like choosing a tattoo, you want it to mean something, and you don't want to get some generic tribal thing on it. I wanted to try it out and see how it looked in person before putting my own design on it. The outcome was great! My camera sucks, I didn't capture the full detail, but trust me it looks great.

They also hooked me up with another OG Vapcap 2 because I was telling them how my piece was combusting because I sometimes didn't hear the click. 5 combusts with it, =/ unfortunate. I'll check that out some other time to see how it is.

I also got degummed hemp fiber and extra screens for the sandwich trick, but unfortunately, they seem to have forgotten to ship the screens =/ I'll talk to em about it.

Review & perspective from OG Vapcap

I never really cared for aesthetics, but the OG Vapcap really looks like a crack pipe and it bothers me when I use it in public. Using it in NYC outdoors feels sketchy, imagine this scene. There's like 50 people walking on the block, you're looking for a door or mini stoop or anywhere enclosed from wind, and you pull out a glass pipe - most likely grimy from just the way reclaim looks. You pull out a jet lighter with an intense flame and spin the glass vapcap over it, while watching over your back for people.. What's it look like? Crack. I imagine in a more rural place it would be a lot easier to find a spot without anybody looking, or perhaps doing it in the car, but for city use, YMMV.

Now with the Cocobolo Ti-Woody-S, I feel much more confident using it in public. Even though you're still rotating a bowl over a lighter, the body of it has class. It looks like fancy cigarette or perhaps just a regular smoking pipe.

LKj8qy8.jpg

In hand, it feels great. It feels solid, and the wood is nice in the hand. The smell from the wood is sweet like cinnamon bark without the sharp herbal note. Using the rotating MP was intuitive, I rotate with my right hand and light with my left, but it took a few heat cycles to get used to it since I had rotated with my left hand and lit with my right with the OG.

Starting at a [1/2] high from earlier. I packed Bowl #1 with 3 pinches of a nug, I'm at a [7] within 4 heat cycles. I used to do like 4-5 heat cycles with the OG, till it looked brown enough to stop using. With the Ti-Woody, 4 heat cycles got it to a dark brown. Compared to the OG, the Ti-Woody's vapor felt softer and fuller.

One hour later, went down to a [5]. Session #2, my throat is getting kind of dry so I put Fat Mouthpiece on for a 14mm bubbler. Purple Pig for color contrast.
F5Ffqdd.jpg

I can't help but think the Vapcap is like "But daddd, I don't wanna wear a hat, I look stupid". It does look ridiculous, but it works.

pGZqUM3.jpg

This is the bees knees. 4 cycles, super smooth with water, at an [8]

Now, the Dynastash ER. I like it a lot, but it feels unnecessary for me since I live in an illegal state. I don't think I'll ever put any material in the material box for fear of attracting unwanted attention when opening it in public and the smell wafting out. And I'll be using the circle concentrate holder for AVB probably.
I was thinking I should have asked for a mod for perhaps...
1) a place to put the fat MP (currently the Fat MP just falls in and can't get out without tweezers)
2) Maybe a second garage, or a place to put extra stems/bodies to play on the lego factor.
3) Or maybe 3D print a removable box for material so that the material never touches the sides and absorbs the dank smells.

Some other thoughts I had..

-Are you supposed to heat to the second click? or is the first click enough, and the second is for insurance?

-I understand the appeal of the XL now. I feel like the body is a bit short, but it's fine for me since I have smaller hands. But for people with bigger hands, they struggle to not burn their fingers sometimes. I also feel like the XL looks more aesthetically pleasing. I may get an Omni XL some day, or the longer custom condensers I've seen.

-On top of the great product, I love the wonderful community we have here for both us and for the Dynavap team. I'm excited for the battery powered heating coils that I've seen recently pop up here.

-Would a DynaStash XL have enough room for a Ti-Woody-S with a MP on top?

-I love the product, but as a marketing/branding professional I feel like Dynavap's marketing & advertising should communicate the product better so that the selling points don't have to be researched by the customer. Maybe the thought is that they're selling an engineering marvel in the battery operated vape dominant landscape, and it'll sell it self. But the idea doesn't apply because it's for non-battery niche market within the already niche vape market.

The differences from other kinds of vapes should be clear and the answers to many questions should be streamlined on the site. One thing that irks me is that the product is marketed like a "Lego" modular approach, yet the site doesn't properly reflect that selling point by it's website structure/videos/etc. Another product I with the similar modularity/usefulness concept is Wool & Oak's well marketed bag system. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...ckpack-6-in-1-set-zip-pack-go-design-travel#/

To explain the average newbie buying process further..
The OG seems to be the workhorse that everybody is talking about at $35. Doesn't look super appealing, but ah the Ti and Omni are beautiful, but they're expensive. And you have no clue why it's now $90-$100 for probably a similar functionality of the OG. And if you've made the decision to buy a piece without knowing the increase of efficiency of the Ti Tip, you've done it because you want to buy a beautiful unique piece. But your wood option is just one per type, and anybody who knows wood, knows it will vary greatly. It's a bit difficult to buy something where the wood's style may greatly vary from piece to piece, yet you only have one picture.

My Experience:
Initially going into it, I kind of wanted a darker brown Cocobolo, but I was satisfied with my darker looking piece. The problem is that I didn't see a note anywhere that said I should add that as a note. Sure you can say it's partially my fault, and I should have asked. But I had no prompt for that, and I feel that the company could nudge you into that direction if they had a picture of like a bunch of different styles you can say you want your body to look like. I know you can message them, but once again - I feel some streamlined customization would benefit Dynavap's operations. And not everybody wants to interact too much for their piece, but you can also say if they want the product purchase to feel custom, they'd interact with the team. Catch 22 ish here, but from my user experience, thankfully I knew a lot about the company from research. But I know any of my other friends who have no knowledge, would be turned off.

Besides the actual product, Dynavap is really selling a lifestyle product of enjoying modularity, DIY, functional art and a unique efficient alternative to most vapes on the market. I don't feel that with the website and marketing.

I understand the product is still "pre-market" and the site is WIP, but with the recent tip improvement, it seems to be a breakthrough, yet it took my extensive research to find it out. And people like /r/vaporents barely know about it.

-On what they're doing for business & Community side of things. I like that they're very helpful with the buying process and answering questions. I like what they're doing with the YouTube channel's 2 clicks series. I'd love to see more information on projects/challenges/products they're working on. All those updates on FC should be on a company blog. I feel like there should be consistent information/messaging across the board of social networks, branding, and company voice.

P.S.: My mind is starting to wander from writing this long post. If you read it this far, thank you for your time. If you want me to clarify anything, go ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:

darbarikanada

-Are you supposed to heat to the second click? or is the first click enough, and the second is for insurance?

definitely heat to the second click

the OG Vapcap really looks like a crack pipe and it bothers me when I use it in public.

any vape that involves using a torch/lighter to 'roast' it will be less discreet than small battery vapes. the only saving grace is that with a multi-flame torch, the heat-up is just a few seconds. others may disagree, but I just don't see VCs as being the best choice for discreet public vaping.

with the Cocobolo Ti-Woody-S, I feel much more confident using it in public

I hear you, but still... (see above)

as far as their marketing goes, you may be right, but last I heard they're up to their ears in orders. maybe it's more like restaurants: word of mouth alone can create a very successful business.

or perhaps it could be compared with wikipedia, with members of the public participating in the development process.

the vape business is so hype-driven - often with questionable accuracy, with products not delivering on the promises (I won't name any names...), so it's pretty cool to see the success of dynavap's unconventional business 'model'.

Last edited:
definitely heat to the second click

any vape that involves using a torch/lighter to 'roast' it will be less discreet than small battery vapes. the only saving grace is that with a multi-flame torch, the heat-up is just a few seconds. others may disagree, but I just don't see VCs as being the best choice for discreet public vaping.

I hear you, but still... (see above)

as far as their marketing goes, you may be right, but last I heard they're up to their ears in orders. maybe it's more like restaurants: word of mouth alone can create a very successful business.

or perhaps it could be compared with wikipedia, with members of the public participating in the development process.

the vape business is so hype-driven - often with questionable accuracy, with products not delivering on the promises (I won't name any names...), so it's pretty cool to see the success of dynavap's unconventional business 'model'.

I find it's heat up time is 10-15 seconds. When I'm out in the suburbs, it feels rather discreet because the smell is minimal, and I'm done rather quick. The Ti-Woody is just a smidge better, it looks less crack pipe-ish, but still is confusing.

Word of mouth brings them to the site, but it brings you so far.

The funnel:

\Awareness/ - Visiting the site- This is there Word of Mouth plays most
\Product / - Word of mouth is still here, but there's unclear product description. And you're not 100%
\Conve. / -Conversion, now you need to focus on making that final decision.

I wouldn't say it's like a restaurant, the purchases are too expensive. Wikipedia is a good comparison since it's a very niche product.
Perhaps they do not push marketing too far because they cannot scale production as quick with the new changes. I wonder what point of their development will they consider it ready for market.

so it's pretty cool to see the success of dynavap's unconventional business 'model'.
>Perhaps this is the beauty I'm missing. Inner marketing soul in me sees so much more potential though. If magic flight can push make a weird portable so well known, then anybody can do it.

QuittingVegas

Ordered last Monday 1/16 and still no shipping
notification, I'm still hoping it will magically be there today too! lol
Anticipation is too much... I made kinda a special order (XL Omni Condensor) but Matt said they were available... so shouldn't be a hold up there... I'm trying to be as patient as I can but I keep searching this forum as if it's going to get my order here faster...:mental::o:bowdown::lmao:

I am in the same boat. My order was placed same day-also somewhat custom (Dynastash XL G2.) I keep stalking the mailman even though I haven't received the shipping confirmation :mental:

Dynavap is awesome regardless of the wait time.

Squiby

What's the G2?

George has been very accommodating with custom requests. A Dynastash G2 XL, I believe, is long enough to house the 4.25 inch XLS and has two vapcap compartments instead of a stash, and two surface magnets.

G2 stands for two garage.

My next stash will be a DynastashER 2, a Dynastash with two silicone concentrate containers.

darbarikanada

If magic flight can push make a weird portable so well known, then anybody can do it

good comparison. I have a MFLB (which I never use since I got a mighty); the need to shake/randomize the load every hit is a PIA IMHO. with VC you don't. MFLB can't do hash - VC can. plus: (and I haven't seen this topic mentioned in this thread - which doesn't mean it isn't in here...) VC must be really 'satisfying' to all those people who really enjoy(ed) the rituals of combustion, cannabis or tobacco, and kind of miss it.

even though you didn't agree with my restaurant comparison: one thing that separates the men from the boys in restaurants is whether they can 'scale up', i.e. serve consistently good food to the crowds that start to show up when word of mouth gets out. dynavap seems to be handling the scaling up pretty well (black friday logjam notwithstanding).

I think we're looking at another MFLB here - just looking at the # of posts tells you there's 'traction'. I'm kind of in awe of this whole phenomenon of VC fans helping prospective buyers make the right choices (yes I'm talking about you @Squiby). people want to help the scrappy inventor making a cool thing in his garage. who wants to help a vape co. that's issuing stock (except shareholders)?

I also see a pretty serious fetishistic thing going on with these; carefully staged 'altar' pics of people's beloved collections. people love VCs for how they perform, but it really seems to go further than that; maybe it's just that they're prettier than your usual stamped-out plastic appliance, but I think George & co. have hit on something, intentionally or not. if they went public, I think it'd be a good purchase (until the Chinese started cranking out decent knock-offs for 1/2 the price...).

darbarikanada

I find it's heat up time is 10-15 seconds

that's about right for a regular lighter. most people report low single-digit seconds for double+ torches

I wouldn't say it's like a restaurant, the purchases are too expensive

not sure which one you're referring to as 'more expensive' (esp. if you're in NY!).

\Awareness/ - Visiting the site- This is there Word of Mouth plays most
\Product / - Word of mouth is still here, but there's unclear product description. And you're not 100%
\Conve. / -Conversion, now you need to focus on making that final decision.

no question that they're improving their game. they only added a 'how to torch' video recently. as a new user I wasn't sure why my VC seemed to be getting too hot despite 'respecting the click' - it was my torch technique (perpendicular, not angled). at any rate, at some point (maybe they're already there) they'll have all the essential 'how to' videos on the site - and it'll be covered in the user's manual. in the meantime, this thread has multiple summaries of 'vapcap 101'.

that's about right for a regular lighter. most people report low single-digit seconds for double+ torches

I'm using the triple jet from them, still takes 10 seconds or so from room temp of 65 (I'm looking at the room temp right now lol), and almost 15 seconds for the initial click when outside. I feel like a quad can do it in seconds probably, but I feel like that's going to be 90% conduction. The subsequent heat ups are much quicker, the second heat up is as little as 4 seconds sometimes.

Based on my OG times before getting a jet lighter. A regular zippo/bic lighter or candle takes like 20-30 seconds.

>Not Perpendicular, but angled..
I didn't know this too. My technique isn't quite perfect, I just look at color, but it'd be interesting to control. I have heard of the "letter" technique of the old caps where you focus heat on letters, but that was kind of a pain to do with the OG.

>in the meantime, this thread has multiple summaries of 'vapcap 101'.
Perhaps we should have a mega sticky thread of a bunch of facts and tips & tricks. And even submit it to the vaporents sub reddit. I feel like 75% of the posts about the VC there are things we've covered and general FAQ stuff. And point out clear cut differences between the 3 different types: OG being the discount but fragile workhorse vape, Ti-Woody: the all-arounder ol reliable, and the Omni: athe indestructible Relax-o-matic vape and Glass Milker (no fiddling with carb). Also things like being able to vape hash should be there.

I also see a pretty serious fetishistic thing going on with these; carefully staged 'altar' pics of people's beloved collections. people love VCs for how they perform, but it really seems to go further than that; maybe it's just that they're prettier than your usual stamped-out plastic appliance, but I think George & co. have hit on something, intentionally or not. if they went public, I think it'd be a good purchase (until the Chinese started cranking out decent knock-offs for 1/2 the price...).

Hah yeah definitely love the Vapcap porn, it gets my rocks hard ;). It's a similar connection to the piece being uniquely yours and customized similar to how /r/trees gets off on sharing pics of their glass pieces.

not sure which one you're referring to as 'more expensive' (esp. if you're in NY!).

I see what you're saying, but I do not agree fully.

When you live here, you're used to $20-$30 entree for a chicken entree, and you shit your pants when you go out of state and find a grand slam breakfast at only $8. It's very relative to where you hang some parts of the city are like minimum $35-$50+ entrees, and some places are $8.
A recommendation from a friend can only go so far when entrees are like $30 each. I'd have to look at their site, see who are the chefs, what's their angle, check yelp, etc. But if I'm not enticed enough at any of the steps, I can lose interest very quickly.

Same can be said about the VC. I can tell a frient to buy an OG+lighter+shipping, which isn't too bad to try, but there isn't really enough information to why he should buy a vapcap over say a $60 vmax [on sale]. And $120-$130 for a seemingly slight upgrade for the Ti-Woody - this area competes with a lot of other similar priced vapes. Then $160 for the Omni, competes with basically everybody but there's not enough value proposition being shown.

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

speaking of staged altar pics..
LHazm7e.jpg

with some matching AVB that perfectly matches the wendge dynastash, Lol.
This thing is a real lungbuster. But its also a good low temp flavor chaser. Its all about timing your cycle intervals to control the overall temperature. I immediately reduced the chamber size and i still wont fill it all the way for a solo session. This will definitely reduce my consuption. I also added a regular screen right behind the CCD screen. No more particulates in the condenser path. I really prefer the XLS over the standard length vapcaps. I forgot to do a mouth-pull and coughed up a lung like i was dying. I respect the click but I forgot to respect the efficiency!

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Ugh, making stems is going to get addictive I think. I'm already thinking of new designs and materials. I'm thinking of laminating some different woods up with the possibility of using some metal as well. I've done several knife handles in this way and it is stunning to look at.

if you want to see an example. => https://www.instagram.com/p/BLtLvMohk4m/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After further experimentation, this is absolutely my favourite vapourizer to use with a water piece. My Mighty and Herbalizer are okay through a water piece but they have issues with the taste being severely deminished, the vapour being thin, the bulky tubes and connections could easily tip glass, and there was never a definitive "end" to a hit.

The Vapcap is really satisfying because it has a nice initial swell of vapour that rushes out seeming to get thicker for a brief moment before tapering off to nothing, the end of the hit is signaled by another satisfying click. The whole process of the session feels very natural and offers a vapour production cycle that is more organic in nature than my uber temperature controlled vapes.

Making the VonG body this morning, ( and a lot of "experimentation") really showed me where this vape belongs in my collection.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Ugh, making stems is going to get addictive I think.

No shit Sherlock :lol:

Those knives look great is that the same Maple? Like the extra metal work.

I've got some brass shim stock which I've been looking at using since the composite stem idea worked. At least my wood chisels won't blunt as quickly with brass, especially as it's wafer thin.

This one turned out way better than I thought it would, today begins it's week long journey elsewhere. Can't keep them all, as much as I would like to.
lgIMvYI.jpg

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags

I feel the opposite with the exception of something like the Grasshopper. I find that both my Vapman and my Omnivap are stelthier than any electronic unit. They are tiny, heat up in seconds, no leds or beeps, easily concealed. I had an Air and it seemed to attract more attention.

Mr. Me2

No shit Sherlock :lol:

Those knives look great is that the same Maple? Like the extra metal work.

I've got some brass shim stock which I've been looking at using since the composite stem idea worked. At least my wood chisels won't blunt as quickly with brass, especially as it's wafer thin.

This one turned out way better than I thought it would, today begins it's week long journey elsewhere. Can't keep them all, as much as I would like to.
lgIMvYI.jpg
@phattpiggie, this could possibly be your best design yet! Can't wait to see what other wood combos you come up with!!

Top Bottom