Drying out your bud........

standard

lwien said:
I've been drying my bud out also for use in the PD for quite awhile now, but about a month ago, I bought some new bud that was very fresh..........totally cured, but very sticky and smelled effin great so when I got home I didn't want to go thru the hassle of drying it out so I broke off a small piece, put it into a shot glass and started cutting with my stainless scissors. Really hard to cut cause it was sticking to the blades, lol.

Anyways, cut it up the best I could and stuffed it into the PD stem and started to vape. WoW. The taste was unbelievable, large vapor clouds and got totally blazed off of one hit. I usually get 4 good hits from dry bud, but got 5 to 6 without drying.

So the bottom line to all this is, no more drying the bud for me.

One other thing to consider is that when you put fresh bud in your vape, after the first hit or two, it's about as dry as it's gonna get anyways.
My experience is similar with not drying herb before vaping. What I do is turn my vape temperature way down, below what produces vapor, and take a slow draw to dry the packed bowl. Works great, and the taste from the pre-hit draw is like Zeus giving Jesus a high five.

standard,

trouble ethyl

god. i feel like such a major n00b.

i always though wet herbs were the key. i figured the wetter the herbs, the longer it would take to dry out, so you'd get more from you buds.

trouble ethyl,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
Now I'm confused... I think I read somewhere - in this thread or another - that drying was the cat's meow, so I started drying it. I will say it DOES seem to vaporize better. But is it more efficient? That, I don't know. Someone else even said you get higher with drier herb. Hell, I don't know.

I do think sometimes it depends on what vaporizer you use; no?

Back in my previous life as a regular pot smoker, I always felt fresh was best. For vaping, I'm not sure.

Am I going to have to read this whole thread again?

MoeOnTheMoon,

The_Other_Shoe

What's Going On?
Moe, I think instead of reading the thread again, you should experiment. I'm not saying the information here is not useful or valid. But someone might like dry better than moist. It seems like a case that would be determined by personal preference. I would suggest leaving one to dry out for a night or two and compare a bowl of that in whatever your vape is to a bowl of fresh herb.

The_Other_Shoe,

karazi

I assume that there is some water vapor that comes out of fresh herb , though I doubt it would mean you get less high per "serving." Really I think it tastes a lot better than dried, and actually provides smoother hits. The only perceived downside I would say is that grinding it up is more difficult, as you can never get it as crumbly dried herb, especially for particularly sticky bud. I am still not sure which I prefer, probably fresh for the taste, but I definitely don't mind either. What grinder is best to grind up fresh sticky buds?

karazi,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
I don't think any grinder can do a good job grinding up fresh sticky stuff, but I will be happy to be told otherwise.

Yeah, I know, I just have to decide for myself. What I am wondering is not so much about the taste or how easy it is to use, in a particular vaporizer, but rather, does it lose or gain strength as it dries? Seems like that should be a known fact; that it would have been researched and the truth known about this aspect of it...

I've heard people argue over whether fresh or dried bud is better and I've never seen any scientific fact about it.

I would say that with the vapor genie, it seems that dried bud works better than fresh bud. Anyone disagree with that?

MoeOnTheMoon,
There is no scientific fact about it. The government and big industry fund 95+% of all scientific studies, and they have no interest in dry vs. wet buds.

Bud gets better with age, like all the finer things. The best buds I ever had was an eighth left in a small mason jar under my bed in a cabin miles away from civilization. I forgot it there and didn't some back for two years. I never vaped it though, but it was an incredible smoke. Completely mellow high. Sitting there with a friend, eating a beaver, and smoking a wooden pipe. No one else for miles.

I haven't had the patience to replicate the results - I always vape it all. The closest I got was six months, but most the bud I smoke is cured 1-3 months. The science behind it, off the top of my head, is that some of the THC converts to CBN over time.

It is a matter of opinion. The next time that I cure bud for two years, I will tell of my results.

Orange Hairy Mist,

VapoFish

Orange Hairy Mist said:
Sitting there with a friend, eating a beaver, and smoking a wooden pipe.
I know this is off topic, but I found the above line hilarious.

:D

On topic: I love the smell, taste and feel of fresh bud. It seems a shame to dry it out, but I do for vaping. I usually take out a days worth of fresh bud from its airtight home, put it on a plate and let it sit over night ... then through the grinder. Then vape.

VapoFish,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
seems to me that the bud evokes a better high after being cured for at least a month, and 2 months is better.

Hippie Dickie,

VapoFish

I agree regarding curing.

Lo ... is the "air sucker-outer" what you use? I've seen them before but didn't know if they worked.

VapoFish,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Yes Vapo... The tube from the foodsaver attaches to the lid attachment... It then sucks the air out of the mason jars!! It works great!!

My husband already had the foodsaver for bagging his fish so it was really cheap for me to just buy the jar attachment. His foodsaver kit came with some canisters you can seal too but they're made of plastic :( so I've never used them.

Lo,

VapoFish

Thanks for the response lo ... so you DON'T need the foodsaver? This device by itself will work with wide-mouthed mason jars?

VapoFish,

Lo

No... the jar sealer is just an attachment to the foodsaver. The foodsaver is used to suck the air out. It has a piece of tubing you attach from foodsaver to jar sealer attachment. Then turn on the foodsaver to remove the air. They make canisters as well that the tube attaches to.

They have come out with new items as now everyone is making those bags you can suck the air out of with a little handheld thingy.

Of course... someone with a little know how might be able to figure out another way to remove the air from the mason jars using the jar sealer attachment.

Lo,

VapoFish

Ah, OK. So one does need to get the foodsaver too. Cool. Well, that's what I'm gonna' do. I'm convinced this is the best way to preserve bud.

:peace:

VapoFish,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I can say, after hearing lwiens take on not drying buds out, I have since changed my behavior on drying my bud. Vaporizers seem too dry out the bud just fine, and releases some awesome taste while doing it. Flavors you dont really encounter if you dry it out.
I mean yes the end result I am looking for is the effects, but it is oh so nice if you have some flavor in there. I tend too keep my herb in an airtight container and only take out my days worth of herb and grind it. I keep the ground stuff in an airtight container so that my days ration stays nice n moist.

DevoTheStrange,

Lo

Mmmm!! Yes, gotta love the taste! I too only grind a little at a time and I have tried several variations of how dry is dry. I always love those tasty puffs in the beginning tho if the herb is not real dry. I have also backed down on how much I dry... Nothing to do with vapor or buzz... All about that taste!!

On a side note... Most of my friends never tried vaping before I let them try my gear and the first thing they always comment on - how damn tasty it is compared to combustion!

Lo,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
the first few tastes remind me of eating it (not in consumables but eating it raw). I used too add leave clippings too salads I would eat for flavor.

DevoTheStrange,

VapoFish

Wow. You're right Devo --- never thought of it like that, but yeah. It's like you are eating it. And a beaver. While smoking a wooden pipe.

I'm stoned.

:lol:

VapoFish,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
The terpenes and terpenoids that give the mj it's taste and flavour also synergystically contribute to the high as well.

Drying loses the volatile terps, robbing it of the taste and the overall buzz, imo.

nicelytoasted,
Top Bottom