Drying out your bud........

Nosferatu

mrfloopa said:
#the drama on here, :lol: I've had my experiences with somebody in this thread before.

Anyway...

I hear (or read on here, actually) that leaving out weed oxidizes THC into CBDs or CBNs. But then I also hear that you should leave your weed out overnight or so to dry it. Doesn't that mean more THC would be oxidized? If THC does oxidize into compounds with higher boiling points, would drying it really be recommended for a fixed temp vape (like a log vape) that might not be able to heat up enough to get everything in the herb?

Yes, more THC would be oxidized into CBD's, CBN's, and who knows what else. Which is good because its THC that is naturally a throat irritant, its THC that is the psychoactive chemical in the plant, its THC that impairs the short term memory. So thats why I think people like to cure and dry there weed well for vaporizing. Because most of us are vaping 1-? times a a day and want to negate all the side effects of the plant. And most will agree, the more you cure and dry the bud the more time for the ratios to balance and the carcinogens to lessen. About the log vapes not being able to reach the temp, well the general consensus plus lwien will all agree that log vapes hit the best with very dry herb. So some of the science must be wrong. I think either the fact that THC does indeed even turn into CBD/CBN at all, or the fact that THC/CBD/CBN all vape at differnt temps, is wrong. Who knows, I'm starting to think vaping gets everything smoking does besides the tar, and the actual chemicals that would be created by the fire. Cant wait for real studies to be done!:D

Nosferatu,

darkrom

Great Scott!
So I've got some glass jar woes. I am trying to minimize the smell of my bud (currently going down the stairs and onto the next floor once I open the jar or grinder) and I think drying the herb will probably help quite a bit. My only concern is mold. Is there some way I can dry it out and pretty much guarantee to not get mold?

Also, are there any studies on bud oxidizing and converting THC to CBD? That sounds like a double plus to me!

darkrom,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
darkrom said:
So I've got some glass jar woes. I am trying to minimize the smell of my bud (currently going down the stairs and onto the next floor once I open the jar or grinder) and I think drying the herb will probably help quite a bit. My only concern is mold. Is there some way I can dry it out and pretty much guarantee to not get mold?

If it's dried too quickly, it will lose smell, but sometimes picks up a hay type smell. Slowly dried is best, but increases smell. For mold concerns, make sure stems snap instead of bend, and make sure the buds are small before putting in jar. Big buds look great, but is usually where the problem starts. Also, I highly suggest some silica gel packets (ebay). You can microwave them for reuse.

Magic9,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Would it be a bad idea to grind say 1/4 oz at a time and store it in an airtight 420science.com jar (should show up any day now). The jars I have keep the smell out, but the second you open the jar it is so powerful it fills an entire house. I may be better off simply storing it in a bag if that is going to be the case since the smell will fade on its own with a bag. With a jar it seems to grow more potent (smell wise).

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
What I did last night was grind about a gram in my 4 pc space case, and simply left the top part (the teeth) off and that bud seems to have dried out quite well with the grinder sitting in my desk drawer. The bud seems to have lost a lot of odor too. Would storing bud that has been "overnight dried" like this be a bad idea? I don't care if I lose the nice smell anymore, I prefer it actually. I just don't want to do anything to endanger my bud lol.

darkrom,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Just for clarification, how much are we talking? A week or two, month or two worth of use? You do not want to pre-grind a lot. Fine for maybe a week or two (I never do more than 2-3 days in advance), but definitely not a month or two. It will lose potency.

Magic9,
Reactions: ou812?

Smokey

Cloud Master
When I harvest, I usually let my bud hung upside-down for a week or so, till the colas get crispy. Then leave it for 3-4 days in a paper bag, opening it every day to let the air change. At this moment the herb is just right, the inner main stems snaps without problem (that's an important indicator).

Once out of the paper bag, I put it in glass mason jars, and open them once a day, changing the air inside for some time. Then after like a month of glass curing, it already tastes and smells better compared when just harvested. The truth is that it gets better and better with each month that passes, everyime I finish a jar, the next one I open will be better than the previous one :) I guess the "perfect" (for me) aging is like 5-6 months, but I usually start using it before that threshold.

This is my curing method, great taste and flavor, no mold, great consistency, you can get the grind fine or finer if vaped for 5 secs then re-grinded (for mflb).

Smokey,
Reactions: ou812?

crawdad

floatin
nice smokey. sounds real similar to my farmer. cut, hang buds on stem for about 3 weeks. cut and trim buds and place in brown bag for about 1-2 weeks. put in jars for about 2 months and slowly start using it or let it go for 4 full months, there is a sweet spot near there for sure...ive been told. :brow: of course some may require more drying and curing, just have to pay attention. ive read that there are chemical processes still going on during this entire process that enhance/increase the psychoactive compounds into "usable form", my findings support that. :peace:

crawdad,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
you guys are so lucky to be able to discuss the nuances of these things. perhaps off topic, but have any city dwellers here met with success growing hydroponically in a spare closet? it would be a miracle to not have to worry about toxic pesticides, etc.

jeffp,

JESUSgotNAILED

Smokey said:
When I harvest, I usually let my bud hung upside-down for a week or so, till the colas get crispy. Then leave it for 3-4 days in a paper bag, opening it every day to let the air change. At this moment the herb is just right, the inner main stems snaps without problem (that's an important indicator).

Once out of the paper bag, I put it in glass mason jars, and open them once a day, changing the air inside for some time. Then after like a month of glass curing, it already tastes and smells better compared when just harvested. The truth is that it gets better and better with each month that passes, everyime I finish a jar, the next one I open will be better than the previous one :) I guess the "perfect" (for me) aging is like 5-6 months, but I usually start using it before that threshold.

This is my curing method, great taste and flavor, no mold, great consistency, you can get the grind fine or finer if vaped for 5 secs then re-grinded (for mflb).

I know you state you open your mason jars once a day after the paper bag, but do you continue to open the jars still once a day even months later? Hopefully I worded that correctly.

Say you have a jar that has been curing the bud inside it for 3 months now and you still haven't gotten around to vaping it. Are you still opening the lid once a day at that point?

JESUSgotNAILED,

Smokey

Cloud Master
No no, I keep opening them only the first month or so, every 2-3 days, then the second month I open them 4-5 times during the month. Then I leave the jars sealed in a dark closet since consumption ;)

Smokey,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
The paper bag thing never worked for me. Came out smelling like hay. A shoe box, a screen stapled to the middle of the box (top and bottom airflow) and a little air movement (fan) have worked for a small set-up.

Magic9,

JESUSgotNAILED

Smokey said:
No no, I keep opening them only the first month or so, every 2-3 days, then the second month I open them 4-5 times during the month. Then I leave the jars sealed in a dark closet since consumption ;)

Awesome :)

JESUSgotNAILED,
Top Bottom