Dry herb vapes that can be used Lekovod/in honor of Yom tov/chag/jewish holidays?(For extracts too)

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
it's not - "causes the heater to be re-engaged to get back to the set temp."
the WS will lose heat after the draw, and will have to re-engage
like any other log/vape
So does that mean Sabbath oven timers don't work because the oven has to heat when you open the door?

Grass Yes,

GoldenBud

So does that mean Sabbath oven timers don't work because the oven has to heat when you open the door?
Ovens are huge, the heaters are huge, so it doesn't need to bump too much like when you take a draw from a tiny vape that uses 11W max or so

GoldenBud,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Ovens are huge, the heaters are huge, so it doesn't need to bump too much like when you take a draw from a tiny vape that uses 11W max or so
This is absolutely incorrect. You should measure your oven temperature with a decent probe and you will see how much loss you get by opening the door. It will always cause the oven to heat up

Grass Yes,

GoldenBud

This is absolutely incorrect. You should measure your oven temperature with a decent probe and you will see how much loss you get by opening the door. It will always cause the oven to heat up
but we can't really compare some 1000W or 2000W oven with some 11W vape..
also, people must eat, people don't have to inhale boiling vapor into their lungs, they can eat an edible, they can't even drive in Shabbat, so they can't get too high for driving etc'

GoldenBud,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
but we can't really compare some 1000W or 2000W oven with some 11W vape..
also, people must eat, people don't have inhale boiling vapor into their lungs, they can eat an edible, they can't even drive in Shabbat.
I don't understand why the wattage has any bearing? Is it worse to cause a small energy change than a large one?

The other stuff does not seem related to the question of WS vs. other vapes. It's clear you think vaping is bad and not allowed but that's not relevant here.

Grass Yes,

GoldenBud

I don't understand why the wattage has any bearing? Is it worse to cause a small energy change than a large one?

The other stuff does not seem related to the question of WS vs. other vapes. It's clear you think vaping is bad and not allowed but that's not relevant here.
because when you take a long hit from the WS the temp drops drastically
when you open the oven the temp drops less drastically
people can't drive in Shabbat, they can eat an edible
but then they are going to fly in their heads eh

GoldenBud,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
when you open the oven the temp drops less drastically
Ignoring the irrelevant part this time...

Why do you say it drops less dramatically? That's demonstratively false. The temperature drops farther in degrees Celsius and the energy draw is much higher in the oven case.

Grass Yes,

GoldenBud

Why do you say it drops less dramatically? That's demonstratively false. The temperature drops farther in degrees Celsius and the energy draw is much higher in the oven case.
when you open the oven, it's not like you used forced-convection to reduce the temp of the heater
you just opened the door and closed it, some heat is lost to the environment

when you take a hit from some log you use forced-convection
you reduce the temp of your heater

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
when you open the oven, it's not like you used forced-convection to reduce the temp of the heater
you just opened the door and closed it, some heat is lost to the enivornment

when you take a hit from some log you use forced-convection
you reduce the temp of your heater
That is more convincing to me. I don't know the bounds of incidental changes, etc.

In both examples, a temp sensor is read and automatic adjustments are made to the heater to keep it at the set temperature. If there is a difference between direct action and incidental influence, I can understand that. Although I see them as both deliberate but I am uninformed about this in general.

Grass Yes,
Reactions: GoldenBud

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
But if the thing is getting advised to get a little wine/alcohol buzz it seems analog to me if somone's not too culturally conservative

The sanctimoniousness of wine on Shabbat has nothing to do with getting a buzz, that mitzvah comes in during specific holidays only lol

it's not - "causes the heater to be re-engaged to get back to the set temp."
the WS will lose heat after the draw, and will have to re-engage
like any other log/vape

Right all the log vapes are the same, except none of them use temperature control, I do not think this is how it works... There is a set power going to the log and that causes it to warm up because of the resistance... When you take a hit and cool it off, you have to wait for it to be hot enough again, but there is no sensor or temperature that is doing that, so in my mind it is always pumping the power regardless, the heater doesn't reengage, it is always engaged...?

I think the logic here is that it is already cycling regardless of you opening the door, I think some people who care would be extra careful about when they open the door to avoid that happening though? And of course there are other people who would not use this mode at all only for yomtov (like my mom would turn off the oven Friday night just before lighting candles and keep the food in the warm oven for that meal, but then we just use the crock pot and eat cold Saturday lunch) Oh yeah a lot of the modern ovens that have that mode, have the screen set to a fixed readout, so you don't actually see the temp fluctuation...

As I explained above, I don't think it is doing the same thing electronically, so it is quite different

In both examples, a temp sensor is read and automatic adjustments are made to the heater to keep it at the set temperature. If there is a difference between direct action and incidental influence, I can understand that. Although I see them as both deliberate but I am uninformed about this in general.

Exactly, when you have a temp sensor I think it is more involved, but if you're talking about these analog logs, I do think there is a way to use them that would be fully okay as long as you are okay with the fact you are creating the vapor aka cooking the herbs with your inhale

Last edited:

bhasma

some could argue the spirit of the law is whatever you make it and your own interpretation, like best to focus on certain aspects even if you have to compromise on others? I guess just so much gray area!
The letter of the law is most sacred in various religions (especially when the letters themselves are God given) but the spirit of the law is needed in practice. How tightly those threads are intertwined depends on interpretation, which has kept scholars busy for centuries. We each make our own decisions, indeed the original meaning of 'religion' was to select what is right, later interpreted as being bound by what is right. Only one vowel changed in derivation, but it makes a big difference.

bhasma,

Shit Snacks

The letter of the law is most sacred in various religions (especially when the letters themselves are God given) but the spirit of the law is needed in practice. How tightly those threads are intertwined depends on interpretation, which has kept scholars busy for centuries. We each make our own decisions, indeed the original meaning of 'religion' was to select what is right, later interpreted as being bound by what is right. Only one vowel changed in derivation, but it makes a big difference.

Okay, to be clear I'm not speaking about religion generally or the idea of the letter of the law... I am talking specifically about Orthodox Judaism and the laws concerning work on Shabbat, there are specific things and then they are just interpreted over the generations by quote unquote scholars that are trusted as community leaders in this way

Shit Snacks,

bhasma

Okay, to be clear I'm not speaking about religion generally or the idea of the letter of the law... I am talking specifically about Orthodox Judaism and the laws concerning work on Shabbat, there are specific things and then they are just interpreted over the generations by quote unquote scholars that are trusted as community leaders in this way
No disagreement, I was just expanding on the grey area of religious interpretation, free will and bondage.

More expansion: According to scripture, I suppose the change between selection and binding occurred in the Garden of Eden, and the sacred herb takes us back to that idyllic state. Perhaps that is why orthodox religion tends to shun Cannabis.

Last edited:

Sativapo

On this day you're not supposed to cook or even warm up pre cooked dishes ?
Orthodox means fundamentalism ( except for Christian orthodox, who can also be fundamentalist btw). Indeed all about the letter of the law and I guess not so cannabis compatible in any religion. Except maybe hindou Sadous who are fundamentalists and smoke hash shiloms.

Sativapo,

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
I am talking specifically about Orthodox Judaism and the laws concerning work on Shabbat, there are specific things and then they are just interpreted over the generations by quote unquote scholars that are trusted as community leaders in this way
As I said above, many times the ‘trusted council of scholars’ is just politically, financially, or power motivated. The va’ad here allows the ‘sale‘ of your kosher business to a goyim on Friday afternoon (for $1), who then is allowed to run your business on the sabbath and then ‘sell’ it back to you on Sunday morning. Heck the entire benefit for the Hasidic is to be excused from life to ’study’ talmud and Tora. Even excused from the IDF requirement in Israel.

It’s supposed to be a day of rest. Ten commandments. Remember the sabbath and keep it holy. So one of the many the wordings/interpretations was not being allowed to ‘create or destroy’. Originally meant don’t chop wood for a fire, rest. No creating sparks for fire.. Don’t make your wife cook, rest. Don’t make your beast plow your field 6 days and then carry you to shul on sabbath. You walk to allow the donkey to rest.

but now, I can create a spark and drive my inanimate car to shul? I can press buttons on a microwave?

nope. But I can ride in an elevator that opens on every floor so i don’t have to push a button. and i can pay the goyim to come in on Saturday morning and turn on the ovens too…

right.…..

edit: my sister who is a student of Judaism would say the commandment to keep it holy, means different ultimately. If you remember the day and keep it different you make it holy in that sense by setting it apart. By following the rules as a voluntary and joyful way.

bhasma

Orthodox means fundamentalism ( except for Christian orthodox, who can also be fundamentalist btw). Indeed all about the letter of the law and I guess not so cannabis compatible in any religion. Except maybe hindou Sadous who are fundamentalists and smoke hash shiloms.
Doxa is belief or opinion (as opposed to knowledge) and orthos is straight or correct and orthodox indicates a strict adherence to traditional beliefs. The Sadhus are certainly orthodox, and Ganja is sacred to Shiva, but the only ones for whom regular Cannabis use is permitted are the Nagas and other members of the various Akharas, and even in most Akharas intoxication is not really allowed.

And of course there's the Aghoris whose tradition requires the breaking of traditions.

Last edited:
bhasma,
Reactions: Sativapo

XpeeN

I wonder if OP can use Shabbat hot plate to warm up a butane based vaporizer. My first thought was putting the lotus for example on top of it, because it has a flat area that'll sit nicely on top of it,but I'm skeptical it'll really work.

Shit Snacks

Everyone is free to believe what they want, it's really easy to see how religion is rooted in the most basic question of the meaning of life... So it gives you all the answers of what to do and how to live lol I won't pretend to know for sure, but I can see both sides really easily having been educated extensively in a dual curriculum growing up I guess?

I think Judaism is pretty unique though in the way it functions and the different levels of Orthodox, with each person, I know there's a lot of variety with Christianity and others too but I don't think all Jewish Orthodox are necessarily fundamentalist as you say (like there was the reformed movement and the conservative movement which names can also be confusing and a million others lol)

As I said above, many times the ‘trusted council of scholars’ is just politically, financially, or power motivated. The va’ad here allows the ‘sale‘ of your kosher business to a goyim on Friday afternoon (for $1), who then is allowed to run your business on the sabbath and then ‘sell’ it back to you on Sunday morning. Heck the entire benefit for the Hasidic is to be excused from life to ’study’ talmud and Tora. Even excused from the IDF requirement in Israel.

Yes, but I am talking about historically, like the earliest interpretations of text from the old rabbis and the councils they used to have, not like the modern councils today although there could be overlap... We don't have those wise sages in the same way so that's what I mean it's individual people discussing interpretation and passing on opinions for others to follow, there has always been splits

It’s supposed to be a day of rest. Ten commandments. Remember the sabbath and keep it holy. So one of the many the wordings/interpretations was not being allowed to ‘create or destroy’. Originally meant don’t chop wood for a fire, rest. No creating sparks for fire.. Don’t make your wife cook, rest. Don’t make your beast plow your field 6 days and then carry you to shul on sabbath. You walk to allow the donkey to rest.

but now, I can create a spark and drive my inanimate car to shul? I can press buttons on a microwave?

nope. But I can ride in an elevator that opens on every floor so i don’t have to push a button. and i can pay the goyim to come in on Saturday morning and turn on the ovens too…

right.…..

Well, that's what I mean, they are rooted in people discussing what the laws of the day actually are, somewhere they decided what it meant to work was the list of things they would do to build the mobile temple, so none of those things were allowed but then you had to examine what those things actually meant (like you can't tear but can you tear if it is to be useful right then in the moment? Things like writing and others have so many different interpretations) is electricity a form of fire or is it a convenience of something else? Many people would not think paying a non-jew to do something is actually okay, some people hint about things, there are so many different strategies and acceptances and it can vary by each family tradition truly

edit: my sister who is a student of Judaism would say the commandment to keep it holy, means different ultimately. If you remember the day and keep it different you make it holy in that sense by setting it apart. By following the rules as a voluntary and joyful way.

Yeah so everything's open to interpretation, one thing Judaism does do is encourage everyone to ask questions and think more about these things, there are certain things you're supposed to just do but it depends who you're learning from, for me it became easy to just do what made sense to me, and as you get older that changes based on convenience and environment... Yeah if the day is different for you and it is rest in your own way that can be enough of an observance for many people but there are so many different levels and I've seen even more here in California than I did on the east coast

bhasma

just read the thread a bit more and saw all the offtopic talk before that. I just meant that posts need to stay on topic but well it's too late here lol
I read the question as how to vape in a religion with rules that make vaping problematic. Ten fundamental commandments are common to all major religions but I wasn't really familiar with the 613 mitzvot and their implications. Looking into this it was immediately apparent that vaping on jewish holidays without breaking any rules is practically impossible. Sorry if discussion of cannabis use in orthodox religious traditions and the interpretation of religious law is considered off topic in this thread.

bhasma,
Reactions: Sativapo

sickmanfraud

I
it was immediately apparent that vaping on jewish holidays without breaking any rules is practically impossible

I believe that the Couch Log is usable on yom tov. When mine arrives next week I will take it to a local rabbi for a ruling, but I see no problem with a couchlog. I will report back with an answer either way. Since the next time it is pertinent is April 23rd I am not in a rush.

Top Bottom