Driving whilst high

C No Ego

That goes back to the fact that "the lesser of two evils" argument isn't a sound one.

This may be true, but there has to be a set a standard to follow. It's not feasible to have a different limit for everyone, so the minimum potentially dangerous limit for the average population should be the standard. You can't set laws on DWI based those who lie on the extreme ends of the tolerance spectrum.

Do you have any studies to suggest that there is no THC (not THCOOH) stored in,and released from our fatty tissues?

I was under the impression that we only had nonpsychoactive THC-metabolites in our system for more than 24 hours, but I've been reading some studies, and apparently, THC (not just THCOOH) is stored in our fatty tissues, and released into the bloodstream. Things like stress, weight loss, food deprivation, exercise, etc., can cause this stores THC to be released in higher quantities. So far, I've yet to find a study that acurately assesses the physical effects this remaining THC has on our minds/bodies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782342/?report=classic

no studies sorry, but just knowing how the cannabinoids move through the system explains most of it... for example... if someone were to vape/smoke only with no edibles then thc would not be as built up in their system long term because of how the heat in the vape or smoke activated the cannabinoids making them vulnerable to our bodies processes... thc that was eaten goes through slower and converts slower etc... so having residuals from edibles seems more likely... and because thc from cannabis stores in our fatty tissue it could release at a later date... the amounts though that get stored and released would seem negligible as to the high experienced from the main edible during the active metabolic cycle after eating it... then another question, what does 11 hydroxy turn into ( ooh) metabolite wise?

C No Ego,

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
That goes back to the fact that "the lesser of two evils" argument isn't a sound one.

This may be true, but there has to be a set a standard to follow. It's not feasible to have a different limit for everyone, so the minimum potentially dangerous limit for the average population should be the standard. You can't set laws on DWI based those who lie on the extreme ends of the tolerance spectrum.

Do you have any studies to suggest that there is no THC (not THCOOH) stored in,and released from our fatty tissues?

I was under the impression that we only had nonpsychoactive THC-metabolites in our system for more than 24 hours, but I've been reading some studies, and apparently, THC (not just THCOOH) is stored in our fatty tissues, and released into the bloodstream. Things like stress, weight loss, food deprivation, exercise, etc., can cause this stores THC to be released in higher quantities. So far, I've yet to find a study that acurately assesses the physical effects this remaining THC has on our minds/bodies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782342/?report=classic

No, the lesser of two evils argument isn't a sound one, but you didn't answer my question. Would you rather be on the roads with people who are dicking around with their phone and swerving all over the road, or me with my light buzz on and driving a good bit "safer" than I would be most of the time. Surely safer than if I'm running late for something.

I grabbed my data from the NORML site. They take info from government (Fed, State & International) and other published studies. Charts and info here.

C No Ego

No, the lesser of two evils argument isn't a sound one, but you didn't answer my question. Would you rather be on the roads with people who are dicking around with their phone and swerving all over the road, or me with my light buzz on and driving a good bit "safer" than I would be most of the time. Surely safer than if I'm running late for something.

I grabbed my data from the NORML site. They take info from government (Fed, State & International) and other published studies. Charts and info here.

all the more reason for automated piloting systems as peoples' attention spans wane each year... people to will fumble around with vaporizers and such while driving and some people roll joints on the go?!? paying attention to the road should be first nature not second, lolol

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
all the more reason for automated piloting systems as peoples' attention spans wane each year... people to will fumble around with vaporizers and such while driving and some people roll joints on the go?!? paying attention to the road should be first nature not second, lolol

Who said it isn't first nature - or first priority? (feels a little better to me). Driving is always first priority when behind the wheel.

What gets me is people getting on their high horse to say someone should NEVER drive while vaped (or vape while driving). It takes me less time and I stay more attentive of the light changing while heating my VC than others do while playing with their phone. Yes, I may have to drive with my knee or hold the wheel with a pinky while heating a VC on the highway, and don't even pretend either is safe. But, is it any less safe than when I do it to blow my nose or any one of a number of other things? That's before we even get to the Milanna that only requires one hand to hold to your mouth and one finger on the button.

I've said a lot of this before further back in this thread and I get what those above have said about cutting people out of wrecks. But, as someone else has pointed out above - what I'm talking about is having a light buzz - and honestly not even in a city or really a suburban area (maybe the large roads that go past suburbs). I doubt I am going to run into a biker in black or a mother pushing her baby on a 4 lane divided highway or even on a large commercial road with a speed limit of 45+. Or, anything other than bike fanatics (that seem to enjoy garishly bright colors) on rural roads.

If you're talking about someone - usually kids - smoking a whole joint, or vaping up a 1/2 gram or more and driving around neighborhoods, small towns or cities, it's a whole different thing IMO. My biggest concern (and second priority FWIW) is LEOs being around and arresting me for illegal activity. Especially when 2 -3 hits (maybe up to a whole .01 gr!) is what is in my system and the penalties will be the same as for a 19 year old dumbass that is finishing his 2nd joint in an hour.

nomadicsoul34

Just so people can "enjoy" herb? Cause that's the only reason right, what about for relief of crippling debilitating disease? What about people who can't even get to work without medicating? Or even get out of bed. Should they just stay home and give up trying to support their family?

And not everyone that uses cannabis is "stoned" that's kinda like saying everyone who drinks a beer is hammered.

I can understand and respect the appeal of safer roadways, but we need a better way of getting there than leaving our sick brothers and sisters out in the rain. Furthermore, we absolutely need to repeal and redesign pharmacies since it's pretty silly to have so many drive through drug stores then expect people to not use medication while driving. Might as well be illegal to eat a chicken sandwich while driving too since digging for the BBQ sauce could cause someone to lose focus and drive off a cliff. And that's not sarcasm, the streets are dangerous, and we do need change, I just want to hear how to get there without alienating a giant group of sick people.

Its a good point , medical users are the exception . I have no idea how to manage the situation as many will be dishonest about their reasons for using.

EverythingsHazy

You might be trying to drive a bit more cautiously, but who's to say it's actually safer. The same could be said for someone who drives very attentively and abides by all the rules, because they had a beer and want to be safe. It would still be an impediment.

I don't know which I'd prefer to be on the road with. I'm inclined to say the mildly Cannabis buzzed driver, but I wouldn't be comfortable with either.

Just so people can "enjoy" herb? Cause that's the only reason right, what about for relief of crippling debilitating disease? What about people who can't even get to work without medicating? Or even get out of bed. Should they just stay home and give up trying to support their family?

And not everyone that uses cannabis is "stoned" that's kinda like saying everyone who drinks a beer is hammered.

I can understand and respect the appeal of safer roadways, but we need a better way of getting there than leaving our sick brothers and sisters out in the rain. Furthermore, we absolutely need to repeal and redesign pharmacies since it's pretty silly to have so many drive through drug stores then expect people to not use medication while driving. Might as well be illegal to eat a chicken sandwich while driving too since digging for the BBQ sauce could cause someone to lose focus and drive off a cliff. And that's not sarcasm, the streets are dangerous, and we do need change, I just want to hear how to get there without alienating a giant group of sick people.

1. Maybe if they can't drive without being under the influence of Cannabis, they should try to work from home. An illness isn't a reason to put others at risk.

2. Not everyone who uses Cannabis is "stoned", but they are all in a different menta/physical state, if they consume THC.

3. Just because you buy medicine at a drive-thru pharmacy, doesn't mean you have to use it in the car. It's the same as driving to a pharmacy and not using the medicine on the drive home.

Krazy

I expect that a lot more "recreational users" are legitimately self medicating than most would think.

Do I thing anyone should be driving whilst significantly impaired? Not really. But defining that term is the tricky part. And shouldn't we be operating on a minimum baseline of performance no matter how a driver gets there?

Last edited:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Alcohol, opiates, cannabis . . . they all impair albeit in different ways. When you are on the side of the road looking at the guy on a bicycle in a ditch that you just accidentally killed, does it really make any difference which drug got you there? My brother in law was killed by a drunk driver while riding his bike. Does that mean I think driving stoned on cannabis or high on opiates is better . . . . no.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Just to add to my rant above..... Have been getting pretty buzzed since early afternoon. Working through all the vapes and glass in a celibretorial way for the holiday. Had some stuff to do earlier and had about a half Mi load whilst on my way home (90% 4 lane divided bypass, and 10% rural road I drive more than daily) - after getting a good buzz on about 3 hours before I left the house. Didn't hit anything or anyone (nor come close) on a beautiful day.

Since hitting up on damned near everything in the house strain-wise, vape-wise, and almost all glass-wise - I ain't going no where! Just a walk could be dangerous at this point - even if not dressed in black and walking down the middle of the road with other stoners driving by every minute.

Why? because I'm too stoned to be driving! I do truly feel bad for @t-dub who lost his brother to a drunk driver. I've never lost anyone that close, but have seen too many killed by drunk drivers, errant truckers, and even grand-mas who should have given up driving years before. But honestly don't know of anyone, or any accidents caused by someone with a half a .01 gr buzz on. That's not to say those situations don't exist, or that I or anyone else isn't capable of a mistake with that little bit of THC (or none) racing around our brains. I feel I am still a competent driver at that point - and usually a bit more courteous and truly safer on the roads.

But when it gets to this point, or even long before, it is time to hang the keys up; find another bubbler to fill & vape to load; and keep the tunes rolling. All I gotta do is remember to feed the dog, and try to finish the loads while being persistent to get all I can out of them and not dump early. :smug: Throw in some tasty Dead shows and I'm a happy boy with no need or desire to drive anywhere!

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I do truly feel bad for @t-dub
Don't feel bad for me. Try to understand what his wife and two young children had to go through. If you had been witness to this situation your cavalier attitude as demonstrated below would be different. Not only did the guy kill my brother in law instantly, one biker out of a string of over a dozen, but he also had the gall to actually complain about the amount of damage my brother's body did to his car. Sometimes people in this world make me sick.
Had some stuff to do earlier and had about a half Mi load whilst on my way home (90% 4 lane divided bypass, and 10% rural road I drive more than daily) - after getting a good buzz on about 3 hours before I left the house. Didn't hit anything or anyone (nor come close) on a beautiful day.

t-dub,
Reactions: Squiby

C No Ego

for some- driving is second nature and you could load that dude up with ludes or anything really and he would still function well while driving because of the second nature.. I do not condone this just saying......
now take a horrible driver on the road.... add in drugs to the equation and watch the hell out! add in drugs and texting and road selfies etc... you see where this is going...

nomadicsoul34

for some- driving is second nature and you could load that dude up with ludes or anything really and he would still function well while driving because of the second nature.. I do not condone this just saying......
now take a horrible driver on the road.... add in drugs to the equation and watch the hell out! add in drugs and texting and road selfies etc... you see where this is going...

I strongly disagree. A great driver impaired by too much cannabis is not able to respond to the unexpected. Accidents are often caused or prevented by split second actions and being familiar with your car and a route to the extent that everything is second nature does not help you deal with the unexpected. You don't need to deal with too many nasty life changing fatalities to realise that cars are f*cking dangerous and driving needs our full attention. This is my last post on the subject but anyone who thinks they are as alert, possess good judgement and as reactive to danger whilst medicated are simply dillusional and lying to themselves so they can carry on doing what they want placing everyone else at risk. That's my opinion as a proffesional driver and experienced weed aficionado.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I strongly disagree. A great driver impaired by too much cannabis is not able to respond to the unexpected. Accidents are often caused or prevented by split second actions and being familiar with your car and a route to the extent that everything is second nature does not help you deal with the unexpected. You don't need to deal with too many nasty life changing fatalities to realise that cars are f*cking dangerous and driving needs our full attention. This is my last post on the subject but anyone who thinks they are as alert, possess good judgement and as reactive to danger whilst medicated are simply dillusional and lying to themselves so they can carry on doing what they want placing everyone else at risk. That's my opinion as a proffesional driver and experienced weed aficionado.

I think much of the issue - and debate here - is in your second sentence, "impaired by too much cannabis". What is too much? A few wispy hits of a light sativa from my Mi? 2 whole loads of a heavy indica? Vape up a whole gram of 25% THC bud before leaving the house? Somewhere in between? And, wherever that point is for me is going to be different for you or others.

I don't think anyone (especially me) has said they are as alert, or reactive to danger (though I would say many use better judgement) after a few hits. The question should be is someone alert/reactive enough for driving. Cold medicine can and does reduce both - usually more than any vapor. And, like most others a cold that requires some medication is not something that is going to make me call in sick. Lack of sleep, stress, checking out an attractive fellow driver or someone on the street, drinking my coffee, having to take a leak from drinking too much coffee, etc, etc, are all things that can and often do have a negative impact on driving attentiveness, judgement and reaction times. Of all the things that make my driving less than the stellar performance you and others are insisting upon, vaping might be in the top 5, but I doubt it.

A few months ago (and pretty sure I posted it in this thread about when it happened) I was having a VERY stressful week at work. As I said above, I don't vape when I'll be city driving or anything close. I stopped at a red light about 10 blocks from my office as I did at that corner at least a few times a week, was deep in thought about my stressful work situation, and blew through like it was a stop sign. Had done no vaping for at least 20 hours, and was totally sober. Needless to say, no one was coming the other way - like I said, I did treat it like a stop sign. But, I didn't even realize what I had done for a half block. Had I taken a hit or 2 before, I have no doubts that I would have been paying closer attention to my driving and certainly at least a bit less stressed. So, much less likely to make this totally idiotic move.

You may want to watch that "experienced weed aficionado" claim around here. I've got plenty of experience with weed (including taking all driver's ed in HS - right after lunch - much more stoned than I have driven in decades), but realize that's a very relative call. I'm sure there are many with more experience with weed than me (maybe even you), and many here who would make the claim even though they weren't even born until decades after I had smoked my first pound. At what point does either of us become an "experienced weed aficionado", and what is the relevance here? If either of us have more experience with weed does that make our points here more sound or true? I think not. And if it does, I ought to be getting points for it somewhere in here. I've taken T breaks here and there as needed, and have gone through years of sometimes weekly or daily use depending upon life factors, but I've been getting high for about 40 years and have a good bit of experience that doesn't even involve me getting high.

I've also been a professional driver and have logged probably close to a million miles over the years - mostly personal driving. I've been sober during any accidents I've been involved in, and while my reaction times have helped me avoid many others (while buzzed or not), they weren't enough to avoid being hit from behind while stopped at a light, or T-boned while having right of way in an intersection. FWIW I don't think either of those drivers were intoxicated in any way, either. Just lost in their own little worlds, as I was when I treated a red light as a stop sign.

And, herein lies my issue with most of this (repeated again from above and many previous posts in this thread). How can you or anyone else determine my experiences or levels of alertness, judgement, reaction times or anything else - after a few hits, a beer, or just pre-occupied? Especially to make such strong determinations on things to accuse anyone of placing others at risk or lying to themselves?

I hate this thread.....
Don't know why I still watch it....

It's so frustrating.....
Just causes conflict, and no one will ever agree on anything...
So just going round in circles upsetting each other....

Create conflict? Yes, it does. Is that a reason to not discuss? Many discussions lead to conflict of some sort or another - especially delicate ones like this. "...just going around in circles and upsetting each other"? Some, maybe. But, think many get a good bit more than that out of it. I know I do. I enjoy different opinions and perspectives. They allow us to see where we are on the spectrum of opinions of others, and maybe even learn a few things and evolve from our own viewpoints.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Just to clear the air, I would never advocate getting vaked to couch lock levels and getting behind the wheel. I'm disputing the issue of getting arrested etc for THC in your bloodstream for medicating hours or days ago. I see manipulation and profiteering on the sole fact THC is measurable in ones system longer than other substances, not necessarily relevant to ones actual level of sobriety.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
This brings up an excellent point.

What is the common element in every auto accident?

The element of surprise.

I learned this from my uncle who was a state police officer. And having had a couple accidents myself, while completely sober, I can tell you he was correct.

So its not that driving is routine and that drivers can be medicated and still drive. The important fact here is that medicated drivers cannot respond to the unexpected as well as sober drivers.

Like I said before, you may think you are fine to drive with whatever level of impairment you deem as ok, but after the unexpected surprise, when you are standing on the side of the road looking at the guy that just almost came through your windshield and is now dead in the ditch, what are you going to think then?

Burt

So its not that driving is routine and that drivers can be medicated and still drive. The important fact here is that medicated drivers cannot respond to the unexpected as well as sober drivers.
With the proviso that I don't advocate driving while high, there's more to it-

I'd contend that stoned drivers are likely to be far less aggressive drivers than their sober counterparts, and this may well off-set entirely the consequences of any diminution in reaction time or focus. I'd guess that stoned accidents would skew to the low-speed fender bender, and away from the 90mph telegraph pole cuddle.

But guessing is daft when scientists have already been busy.

Last edited:

Krazy

Burt: thank you!

That is the big problem with the term "marijuana related" accidents, hospital visits, etc..

t-dub, Im using your comment because it sums up an opinion held by a number in this thread.
The important fact here is that medicated drivers cannot respond to the unexpected as well as sober drivers.
People keep stating opinions as facts. Or at the very least not defining terms.

Are you using "medicated" as a forum specific PC term for stoned out of their gills? Do you count me as non-sober 6 hours after 0.05g of meds? What does sober mean? Cold meds, antihistamines, some heart meds, many psych drugs, more than 2 cups of coffee, lack of sleep, stress, etc.; all are more likely to impair someone more than moderate medical use by an acclimated individual. Do we count these people as non-sober?

What about people with innate stoopid, crappy stress management, or poor reaction time? I know people who, at there best, are worse drivers than I am at the point that I won't drive due to lack of sleep, chronic pain, etc.. Should they be allowed to drive at all?

Can anyone link to a legit study showing that responsible medical use in acclimated individuals makes them worse drivers than they would be without meds?

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Its simple. Maybe if you are a chronic user of MJ you might hit your "sweet spot" and drive better than being sober. I agree MJ is not as bad as alcohol or pain pills or any other types of medication.

BUT . . . the fact still remains that any level of impairment could potentially cause a lapse in situational awareness which could cause the driver to be unable to respond to a surprise event.

Burt

It's simple [...] the fact still remains that any level of impairment could potentially cause a lapse in situational awareness which could cause the driver to be unable to respond to a surprise event.
Situational awareness is only one part of the equation. The same substance that causes impairment in awareness *also* changes the nature of the situations encountered. Not as simple as you imagine, perhaps.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
This brings up an excellent point.

What is the common element in every auto accident?

The element of surprise.

I learned this from my uncle who was a state police officer. And having had a couple accidents myself, while completely sober, I can tell you he was correct.

Like I said before, you may think you are fine to drive with whatever level of impairment you deem as ok, but after the unexpected surprise, when you are standing on the side of the road looking at the guy that just almost came through your windshield and is now dead in the ditch, what are you going to think then?

Exactly - the element of surprise. So, if I'm more inclined to have less surprise (due to less ADD for whatever reason) after a few hits, then I would be LESS DANGEROUS with that active THC in my system, correct? How can you sitting there, make a judgement on something like this for me, or anyone else - as surely as you do throughout this thread?

With the proviso that I don't advocate driving while high, there's more to it-

I'd contend that stoned drivers are likely to be far less aggressive drivers than their sober counterparts, and this may well off-set entirely the consequences of any diminution in reaction time or focus. I'd guess that stoned accidents would skew to the low-speed fender bender, and away from the 90mph telegraph pole cuddle.

But guessing is daft when scientists have already been busy.

Fucking science!!! Why the Hell did you have to bring that into the conversation. Surely, it's not as valid or important as people's opinions and personal sentiments. :D :doh:

Its simple. Maybe if you are a chronic user of MJ you might hit your "sweet spot" and drive better than being sober. I agree MJ is not as bad as alcohol or pain pills or any other types of medication.

BUT . . . the fact still remains that any level of impairment could potentially cause a lapse in situational awareness which could cause the driver to be unable to respond to a surprise event.

It could potentially cause a lapse in situational awareness, and probably often does. Or, a few hits could increase situational awareness, and probably often does. What's the net change for me, or you, or anyone else? And, whatever that net change is, how could anyone assume what it is for anyone else, and spout with such certainty that a few hits from a vape is likely to make someone a potential killer?

flotntoke,
Reactions: Burt

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
ok guys . . this is my last post in this thread.

If you all want to argue that a certain % of drivers are safer while medicated due to chronic use or medical problems, thats fine. But for the whole of society, the majority, Joe average if you will, you can not prove that driving while impaired actually increases situation awareness and the ability to respond to surprise events. This is what must be considered when making law and how police must interact with the public. Being sober behind the wheel, for most people, saves lives period.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
ok guys . . this is my last post in this thread.

If you all want to argue that a certain % of drivers are safer while medicated due to chronic use or medical problems, thats fine. But for the whole of society, the majority, Joe average if you will, you can not prove that driving while impaired actually increases situation awareness and the ability to respond to surprise events. This is what must be considered when making law and how police must interact with the public. Being sober behind the wheel, for most people, saves lives period.

Man, I can understand why this will be your last post here. You keep walking your position back and moving the target, and are still contrary to many published studies on the topic. If you walk it back any further towards conclusions of those studies, we'd be pretty close to total agreement. Couldn't have that now, could we?

I don't think anyone has argued a "certain % of drivers" as you state. IIRC all through this thread discuss their own personal abilities and points of reference and experiences, with repeated posts by you referencing how we would will feel when - not if - we kill someone while driving under the influence of even the lowest levels of THC. Joe average, who presumably isn't a daily/regular user, isn't who or what the discussion here has mostly covered. While this has been part of the discussion for how legislatures and LEOs need to work and interact with the public, that itself is a large part of the problem that I have brought up regularly - be it for MJ or alcohol.

There is no currently used method of determining level of intoxication for DUI that is valid. Depending on tolerance and other factors, my own impairment (without even comparing to others) has many more facets than BAC or THC levels in my saliva, breath or blood.

... Being sober behind the wheel, for most people, saves lives period.

Most people? Yes, I can agree with that. But, that hasn't been the gist of the discussion here.
Studies have conclusively shown that regular users (my assumption most who are spending much time here on FC - and certainly those who have been touting the line on my side of the discussion), show no correlation between having THC in their blood and increased culpability in accidents. To the contrary, it seems about half (if not more) of the studies conclude the exact opposite in cases of lower THC usage. In other words, lower levels of THC intoxication in regular users seems to REDUCE their culpability in accidents - a point I and others have tried to make in the face of "high-horsed" posts from you and others about how we are a menace to society, making our roads less safe with our selfish activities.

Hopefully, your phrasing in this last sentence and decision to step away from the discussion indicates that you are coming to realize that in many cases a few hits may make many of us safer drivers, as I and others have said and studies have confirmed, as opposed to murderers the next time a surprise pops up while driving after a couple hits.

flotntoke,
Top Bottom