Driving whilst high

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I agree with the study that showed that dopers can be aware of their condition and drive more cautiously therefore and thus reduce MOST potential accidents. I had to go to professional defensive school--two days!, lecture and on the road--when I was driving a cab years ago, which helps. On the other hand, I've also been lucky. There's been times when I was younger that I was drinking and getting high and driving. What made it worst, scary and nearing out of control for me--I think--was I was also a smoker. Alcohol, THC, and nicotine are a powerful whrilly-inducing combo. When I think honestly about it, I'm lucky to be alive and lucky I didn't hurt anybody. Thank God I finally stopped smoking.

I agree with the study that showed that dopers can be aware of their condition and drive more cautiously therefore and thus reduce MOST potential accidents. I had to go to professional defensive school--two days!, lecture and on the road--when I was driving a cab years ago, which helps. On the other hand, I've also been lucky. There's been times when I was younger that I was drinking and getting high and driving. What made it worst, scary and nearing out of control for me--I think--was I was also a smoker. Alcohol, THC, and nicotine are a powerful whrilly-inducing combo. When I think honestly about it, I'm lucky to be alive and lucky I didn't hurt anybody. Thank God I finally stopped smoking.

PS: I drive stoned four or five days a week, maybe more! Its part of my retirement routine. I go off hiking or biking or snowshoeing or formerly xc skiing, have a toke or two while I'm out and about. Have a beer at a microbrew and then another toke heading home. Or I'm sitting at home and get stoned before riding my exercise bike and then realize I need something from the store to cook my best dinner. Again, not being proud, promotional, or feeling bad in the least--Just trying to provide honest information.

PPS: Thought I was editing, not adding a comment. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

nonamekevin

Super interesting topic! When I was younger, I would drink and drive way more than I care to admit. I'm fortunate enough to not have caused any harm to anyone, including myself, and am super fortunate to have not gotten a dui.

Those days are long gone, however, I think about driving while medicated frequently. I won't drive directly after vaping a bowl, as I get extreme paranoia when I have. I believe the root cause of that paranoia now a days is due to me driving a fleet (work) vehicle. If something happens while driving, I could lose my job. Again, not worth it, so I typically chill for an hour or so after my last bowl before driving.

The times I have driven medicated, I noticed I was super cautious, scanning the road a lot more. Sometimes I would fall into a thought loop that would limit my scanning abilities though which is a little scary.

I still have mixed feelings about driving while medicated, and for me, I try and avoid it at all cost. :rockon:

Gigsabits53

It's a very interesting topic for sure. I'm pretty much like you @nonamekevin , did lots of stupid shit when I was younger and never hurt myself or anyone else. I drove more times than I can count intoxicated. So stupid.

I am a no on driving while medicated. For me I feel like it affects my reaction time so I just wait before I drive.

I do believe there are people who may be more dangerous without it. I dont know a % on that, not sure if it could even be known, but I just have to believe there are some people that drive better medicated.

The big thing for me is I just couldn't live with myself if something horrible happened.

nonamekevin

It's a very interesting topic for sure. I'm pretty much like you @nonamekevin , did lots of stupid shit when I was younger and never hurt myself or anyone else. I drove more times than I can count intoxicated. So stupid.

I am a no on driving while medicated. For me I feel like it affects my reaction time so I just wait before I drive.

I do believe there are people who may be more dangerous without it. I dont know a % on that, not sure if it could even be known, but I just have to believe there are some people that drive better medicated.

The big thing for me is I just couldn't live with myself if something horrible happened.
Right, same here. If I hit a tree and fuck up my situation, I could live with that. But I would find it very difficult to cope with knowing I hurt someone because I drove while medicated.

I know some people say they are better drivers while medicated but I don't know how this can be proven or quantified. Can someone who says they drive better while medicated given me like an anecdote on how you drive better? Truly curious. :peace:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@nonamekevin - 'those' people that say they drive better only drive better until they don't. Then there are, as there should be, consequences. :2c: It's the best our system of government can do for us in the USA.

No angel here but been rescued by Angels more than a few dozen times.
Wisdom comes from getting your thick fucking skull kicked in a few times.
...Figuratively, of course. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Not a good idea. Apart from the possibility of not being focused 100% on the driving, driving itself is a stressful activity for the body and in my case I find that driving stresses me out more if I'm stoned. It is better to wait for after the driving is done so I can unwind.

Maxxx Stone

Depends people aren't all the same. I've met people they could drink until they couldn't walk and drive just fine I've met people that have one drink and scare you to death. No doubt smoking is similar. So what we do is set our standards to our lowest common denominator. That means if one person drives worse stoned or drunk it would be better not to have people driving stoned or drunk.

Top Bottom