Does pot really make you think better and/or deeper?

Does pot really make you think deeper?

• Yes, definitely, beyond doubt

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • Nah, bro. That's just stoner logic..

Votes: 18 31.6%

• Total voters

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@darbarikanada I noticed I had to re-learn after a long break.

I have a couple of good friends who suffer from paranoid schizophrenia, sectioned several times, neither of them can use weed, it makes them very agitated, but they can both drink alcohol. Can see where you're coming from on the deep thoughts things. Not a pleasant experience for my friends.

I've made edibles out of some top grade Red Leb which made us all trip and a friend had some buds for the first time when were younger, 30 years ago, which set him off. We usually scored the leaf which was really good. Incredibly euphoric 'laughing gas' we all called it.

phattpiggie,
Reactions: Squiby

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Thoughts, more meaningful, and contemplated with greater appreciation for their implications - otherwise easily dismissed and unaffected while engaged in another mental state... alters breadth and scope of subjectivity.

Last edited:

Walter Bishop

Had to change my vote based on the thread title changing since my original vote. Though I believe as it stands now there should have been a third choice of some sort. "Better," and, "deeper," are not mutually exclusive.

Walter Bishop,

juneshayek

@Snappo, yeah, but also tunnel vision thoughts sometimes, obsessed with the detail and devoid of perspective. I know I've tried both kinds with pot. If it can be either a good or a bad influence, then is it even the pot or is it just us, like @darbarikanada is suggesting?

I know I like to think it's the cannabis causing an improvement, but what if I'm just thinking wishfully?

For (non weed related) example: Does anybody know that feeling after procrastinating, when you finally get to work and you're pleased with your results, you wonder whether it'd been as good had you gotten started earlier? Or whether the procrastination somehow had a positive influence on the final outcome after all? Surely that must be wishful thinking, right? What if it's the same with pot?

juneshayek,

darbarikanada

people following this conversation might be interested in a project in Seattle: a company that makes cannabis-infused edibles ('medibles') - e.g. chocolates - has been presenting speakers on various topics in a salon-like setting (rented space, evenings); attendees are encouraged to show up high, presumably to better appreciate the 'deep thought' topics. I personally think it's kind of silly, but would be curious to see one anyways - it's kind of unique I guess - but they charge like $20; that doesn't seem worth it to me.

what would it be like to be at one of these talks without being high?

http://www.thegoodship.com/higher-education/

darbarikanada,

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Herb doesn't make me think 'deeper' but it does cause me to think differently.

I've used it to allow me to think outside the box of a design or approach I was stuck/married to. In other words....If I want to back check whether there is another possible design/approach, getting a buzz will often shine a light on a new road I hadn't considered. Of course there are those times where after I'm no longer high I can see the dragons I couldn't see in the herb based approach.

While it may not cause me to think deeper thoughts it can make me 'think' I'm 'feeling/experiencing' things deeper like music and food.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
All this dudes vapes are broken, I understand why he's a little irate after his string of bad luck with S&B.
Let this be a reminder that all should have a VapCap ($35 for a vape!) as a backup! :rockon:

I know, butane vapes are not for everyone, but I was dead set against butane vapes. The thought of having to suck up expended butane and possibly additives or having to "work" at getting my vaping session on... hell no! Then along comes DynaVap to set me straight and give me one hell of an awesome option!

I will have a word with myself
I do this quite often!

talkingtoself.jpg

AJS

Calm Consistency
you wonder whether it'd been as good had you gotten started earlier? Or whether the procrastination somehow had a positive influence on the final outcome after all? Surely that must be wishful thinking, right?
Operating more efficiently while in a state of heightened arousal (increased awareness of deadline brings about a higher arousal level) is, in my opinion, not at all wishful thinking. I truly believe that procrastinating, based off your chemistry (me being adhd), is very helpful when I actually get to work. I am difficult to get motivated. Very. But when that motivation hits, I work significantly more efficient and my work is completed faster with more detail. Deadlines are my motivation. If I work on something while I'm not actually motivated to do it, I half ass it, despite how much time I have.

rozroz

...also stabilizes mood, behaviors, and emotions on a level other than that normally experienced. This fact alone is greatly responsible for the elevated intellectually/mentally focused state. Broadens my creativity and motivation for further exploration. Smooths out anger issues, anxieties, and rage.

a more serious question is whether all you say translates to being psychologically addicted?
i agree with what you say, i am a more peaceful soul while medicated, like a child maybe?
but it can easily turn out to be something "i better not live without".. which kinds of frightening for me.
is there a thread on this btw?

rozroz,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
a more serious question is whether all you say translates to being psychologically addicted?
i agree with what you say, i am a more peaceful soul while medicated, like a child maybe?
but it can easily turn out to be something "i better not live without".. which kinds of frightening for me.
is there a thread on this btw?
Perhaps addiction, as you suggest, might be a legitimate concern for someone with an addictive predisposition. I, personally, never found MJ at all difficult to quit cold turkey and for very long periods of time.

rozroz

Perhaps addiction, as you suggest, might be a legitimate concern for someone with an addictive predisposition. I, personally, never found MJ at all difficult to quit cold turkey and for very long periods of time.

good for you. WHY did you quit, if i may ask?
i wanted to discuss the QUALITY of life with/without daily use.
if, as stated above, regular usage is: "responsible for the elevated intellectually/mentally focused state. Broadens creativity and motivation for further exploration. Smooths out anger issues, anxieties, and rage"

this also means psychological dependency imho.

don't wanna derail the thread though.

rozroz,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
good for you. WHY did you quit, if i may ask?
i wanted to discuss the QUALITY of life with/without daily use.
if, as stated above, regular usage is: "responsible for the elevated intellectually/mentally focused state. Broadens creativity and motivation for further exploration. Smooths out anger issues, anxieties, and rage"

this also means psychological dependency imho.

don't wanna derail the thread though.
I do not see the correlation between my statement and your assertion for addiction... they are not mutually inclusive, IMO. One need not become psychologically dependant on a given altered mental/emotional state, but may wish to partake in it from time to time, or rarely, like a nice bottle of wine or good company.

rozroz

I do not see the correlation between my statement and your assertion for addiction... they are not mutually inclusive, IMO. One need not become psychologically dependant on a given altered mental/emotional state, but may wish to partake in it from time to time, or rarely, like a nice bottle of wine or good company.

the correlation is that your statement sounds like it's a preferable state of mind opposed to a "regular" mental state. hence the chance of liking it too much to a dependent degree.

if the altered mental state is like a place you like to visit from time to time,
like once in a few days,
that's certainly not a problem of being dependent, and it's a positive, creatively productive place imo.

my personal logic of dependency is when it's used daily.
but that's just me in my own consciousness ;)

rozroz,
Reactions: Snappo

Snappo

Accessory Maker
the correlation is that your statement sounds like it's a preferable state of mind opposed to a "regular" mental state. hence the chance of liking it too much to a dependent degree.

if the altered mental state is like a place you like to visit from time to time,
like once in a few days,
that's certainly not a problem of being dependent, and it's a positive, creatively productive place imo.

my personal logic of dependency is when it's used daily.
but that's just me in my own consciousness ;)
My statement was not at all intended to sound the way you interpreted it. Like most anything else, MJ can be used judiciously and in moderation, or more or much less. Psychological dependency need not be much of a factor, or any at all, on that spectrum.

Snappo,
Reactions: rozroz

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
We are all grown ups here, I think. This isn't the addiction thread is it? We do have a thread dedicated to that. Take it over there.

Some folks also use cannabis for medical reasons too.

I have passed a test with a very good score while under the influence of cannabis. I didn't use so much of the flower that I couldnt function mentally. That was back in the black market days. So I have no idea what the strain was. I don't think I would remember anyway, it was 10 years ago.

There definitely are strains if you use too much you get brain freeze and couch lock. i usually can know how much I can handle. Usually I error on the side of caution if I have important plans later in the day.

rozroz

We are all grown ups here, I think. This isn't the addiction thread is it? We do have a thread dedicated to that. Take it over there.

Some folks also use cannabis for medical reasons too.

I have passed a test with a very good score while under the influence of cannabis. I didn't use so much of the flower that I couldnt function mentally. That was back in the black market days. So I have no idea what the strain was. I don't think I would remember anyway, it was 10 years ago.

There definitely are strains if you use too much you get brain freeze and couch lock. i usually can know how much I can handle. I usually error on the side of caution if I have important plans later in the day.

i asked if there's a dedicated addiction thread.. couldn't find it.

rozroz,

stonedbob

100% THC
@rozroz and what is so bad being addicted to somthing healthy? you are a depndent, right, but if im depend on medicins, i much preffer to depend on cannabis and not cipralex. and if im addicted to somthing i much preffer to be addicted to cannabis and not methamphetamine.
anyway, some are depends on coffe, alcohol, sleeping pills, chocolate and video games. you can be addicted to all of them together, and most of them very addictive, cannabis isn't.
the tricks are about the dosage, investigation of individual effects, type of consumption, strains and the most of all: 'maturity' - which sometimes some people miss it, agree.

--edit:-- we missed the point of the thread, lets stop spamming :nod:

stonedbob,

Adobewan

What about those who are THC deficient? What if one needs cannabis to be balanced, level, or, for lack of a better word, normal? Do we consider our constant need for food and water to be an addiction?
Is it addiction to crave peace?

rozroz

@rozroz and what is so bad being addicted to somthing healthy? you are a depndent, right, but if im depend on medicins, i much preffer to depend on cannabis and not cipralex. and if im addicted to somthing i much preffer to be addicted to cannabis and not methamphetamine.
anyway, some are depends on coffe, alcohol, sleeping pills, chocolate and video games. you can be addicted to all of them together, and most of them very addictive, cannabis isn't.
the tricks are about the dosage, investigation of individual effects, type of consumption, strains and the most of all: 'maturity' - which sometimes some people miss it, agree.

--edit:-- we missed the point of the thread, lets stop spamming :nod:

it's a whole debate. a thread needs to be issued..

lwien

.....most of all: 'maturity' - which sometimes some people miss it, agree.

Here's some interesting stats: "According to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science, 32 percent of people who try tobacco become dependent, as do 23 percent of those who try heroin, 17 percent who try cocaine, 15 percent who try alcohol and 9 percent who try marijuana."
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/30/h...iction-a-brain-ailment-not-a-moral-lapse.html

I have delt with addiction myself as well as experienced it in others and I would venture to say that maturity may play a factor in some but in others, it doesn't play a factor at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom