Does Bad Taste and/or Bad Smell raise a health concern ??

lwien

I'm raising this question because of the following quote and because I think it really warrants a general discussion without mentioning any one particular vape.

max said:
........detecting bad taste doesn't necessarily mean there's a safety issue either.

While I agree that it doesn't "necessarily" mean that there is a safety issue, does it not raise the red flags that there very well could be a safety issue? Bad tastes and smells is one of our bodies natural defense mechanisms to warn us that there could be a danger here and that we should probably stay away. I can think of very few instances, such as the smell of certain cheeses, where this is not the case, but in general, it is the case, and in the case of anything that we ingest deeply into our bodies, be it through our stomachs or our lungs, should we not be concerned over this when it occurs.

Thoughts?

(Suggestion. I think, for this discussion, we should not mention any particular vape by name, but rather talk about the issue in general.)

lwien,

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
Well this kind of stuff sounds like someone trying to get away with something. I remember when I got a cheap china vape and they told me to "burn off the packing oils". That smelled like crap and we all know how unsafe those lead filled P.O.S.'s can be. I would be wary of any type of vape with a bad smell or something like that. While some people might be okay risking it I would rather not take the chance on something I breath through every day.

wowthisisrandom,

lwien

Oaklander said:
....but we can also adapt to crave cigarette smoke which is harmful to us...

Yes, we can adapt, but the initial smell of cigarette smoke before adaption takes place definitely sends up the warning signs, eh?

lwien,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I think this is an EXCELLENT thread, and certainly appropriate.

Firstly, I think we should be aware of the potential risk associated with heating up materials to almost 400F and then deeply inhaling...repeatedly...day after day. We really need to pay attention to this and not be swayed by flashy marketing from a vape manufacturer. Take care of yourself, and realize that your long term health is not the priority of a large company looking for your money. Remember the Ford Pinto.

Secondly, the fact that a potentially harmful link hasn't been studied and confirmed doesn't mean there is no harm. A toxicology study might run tens of thousands of dollars and a manufacturer certainly isn't going to pay for that.

Thirdly, despite the fact that our senses are not as accurate as a dog's nose or a lab IR spectrometer, it's all we have and I "listen" to what my body says.

Lastly, I feel if we have a legitimate concern about a harflul element, be it a vape, a grinder, baggie, papers, etc we should let others know.

Thanks for starting this thread, lwien.

willieR,

vapirtoo

Since vaping exclusively for the last year, my sense of smell has really improved,
forcing me to shower more often :lol: . Smell could be the difference between
life and death or severe sickness at least. As we all are taking some risk with our
hobby, if it smells bad or really strange... be concerned.
You would if it was a sexual encounter. :uhoh:

vapirtoo,

weedemon

enthusiast
1. well i think that it depends on the type of herb you put in the chamber.

pot has many different aromas/smells. fruity, ammonia, skunk, sweet, pine, diesel, aniseed, the list goes on and on.

some of those smells i have described above i would not say are "nice" tasting, but that's just how that particular strain is genetically. In this instance i am not concerned about the smell taste hurting me.

HOWEVER the following 2 are worth consideration.

2. The composition of the vape is important! crappy parts, or using components that could and do harm the health of the user is definitely something to be concerned about. if this is off gassing as taste or smell, I don't want any part of it. just do your research and if you feel safe and comfortable using it after that i'd say you have done your due diligence.

3. the way the pot was grown could be an issue. Unethical growers will add things to their pot that makes it appear to have more crystal that it really has or even add weight to the product. (glass particles sprinkled on buds, chemicals sprayed etc...)

so yes there are things to be cautious of, but like max said it's not necessarily a red flag

weedemon,

Adaox

No specifics raise a health concern.

WHAT tastes bad?

WHAT smalls bad?

is that a personal issue? (Some people have more refined pallets)

In the end I don't think smell/taste alone are indicators of a health concern.

They could be red flags, hell they could be pink flags for all I care. Just saying that smell/taste isn't the end all be all in this type of discussion.

As it's been said before, time and time again. If it's an issue for you, don't use it. If it's not then good for you.

If it's proven toxic later, at least you made an informed choice. /shrug

Most medicine tastes HORRIBLE (IMO) that doesn't mean it is a health concern. With that being said, most medicine also has intended effects, and side effects.

Information is a great tool, and given the information we have. I think we all make the best choices we can. Until there is proof one way or another it's just speculation though... it *could* be riskier, then again it could just be a wash with no harm no foul. Knowing that, and still making the choice is what makes this a great opportunity to exercise our right to choose.

I am of the firm belief that I am going to die. Please don't threaten me with a shorter lifespan based on gut instinct. :/

My gut tells me you're more likely to die in a car than from said "toxins". More people do every day....

Adaox,

caseball2051

Yeah im unsure as to waht youre talking about, lwien.

Ive never encountered bad tastes or smells with my Magickwand, MZap or Launchbox. My arsenal is limited though.

caseball2051,

lwien

Personally, I've experienced bad taste and smells from an Iolite I had awhile back. Others have reported bad tastes and smells from the Vapir NO2 while others have reported some of these same issues with various Chinese made knock-offs.

But a lot of this has been reported and discussed in some of the vape specific threads and it's been suggested that we not do this, via this from max: "We've also decided, quite a while back, not to allow questions/discussion about materials safety in vape specific threads. This can be done in the General section. It's not a perfect solution, but there is none that will satisfy everyone, and we're not going to spend more time modding this thread than the rest of the forum combined. So that's the deal, like it or not."

So...........I thought we may want to discuss it in a more general sense here.

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
What about a bad smell or taste from a tincture made with ABV, but it's that way because that's how ABV is? I have thought about this everytime I tried to gag down my ABV tincture. When I make my tincture with fresh buds and/or kief, it smells and tastes wonderful. The ABV tincture tastes so bad, I probably wont make it anymore. :(

Maybe bad taste and smell is subjective, or maybe it is an indication something might not be good for you. For instance, I despise the taste and smell of cooked spinach and fennel. Other people like these things. Does this indicate anything? I don't know.

Vicki,

lwien

Yeah, I'm not really talking about bad taste and smells from food and or medicines or herbs, but rather bad tastes and smells emanating from the parts that vaporizers are made from.

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
Bad tastes and smells is one of our bodies natural defense mechanisms to warn us that there could be a danger here and that we should probably stay away. I can think of very few instances, such as the smell of certain cheeses, where this is not the case, but in general, it is the case, and in the case of anything that we ingest deeply into our bodies, be it through our stomachs or our lungs, should we not be concerned over this when it occurs.

Thoughts?

You had mentioned different aspects, including foods, so I did the same. I think the analogy applies to everything we have discussed.

Vicki,

lwien

^^ Ok. Let's leave it open then.

But for me, the catalyst behind starting this thread was specifically related to smells emanating from our vapes, over and beyond the taste of the bud itself.

lwien,

Vitolo

Vaporist
lwien said:
Personally, I've experienced bad taste and smells from an Iolite I had awhile back. Others have reported bad tastes and smells from the Vapir NO2 while others have reported some of these same issues with various Chinese made knock-offs.
I have an Iolite, and I do get a plethora of essences, but mostly a faint chem taste I attribute to butane. I have use other peoples Iolites, and found them to taste similar. I know you do not approve of the "other" vape you specified by name (even though you started the thred saying we will avoid such), you make it clear on numerous forums. You admit to not owning "that" vape and always speak of "reports" of smells/tastes. You have not even tried one, so why the vehement stand? I was taught to judge for myself, and I have!
I own the unit you speak of, as do 9 of the patients at my support group. We have demos together, and test each others units. Not one of the 9 out of 9 units at the rehab center has an odor. I will go further to say that the "this unit" has some of the most pure tasting vapes I have tasted.
Moving your war of negativity toward this vape to other threads to "discuss it generally" does not change the fact that you are speaking of "reports", and still have not tried this unit.
Now that MJ has been legalized here in my state, I see 5 other states following suit and placing Med Mar on the ballot. Vaporizing is going to be a VERY huge wave, as the country accepts the "herb".
The manufacturers will send potential customers to websites that they feel are at least halfway objective to get support and info.
Any manufacturer that thinks a particular forum is too littered with negative comments will avoid linking potential vapists to that forum.
You, (all of us here) are in a unique position to give the new Vapists a positive vaping experience!
BUT.. if the makers of products that are "bashed" send potential customers ONLY to the websites that color them positively, the new Vapists will not get there initial feedback here.
I am not saying not to speak the truth.
I am saying speak the truth from first hand experience, rather than from reports.

Vitolo,

lwien

I am not going to get into an NO2 or an Iolite discussion here The ONLY reason that I brought up the 3 examples that I did was to help clarify to caseball why I started this thread. I think enough of both the pro's and the con's of both of those vapes have been covered quite well in their respective threads.

But I do need to clarify one thing. There are many members here who I hold in VERY high regard and respect their opinions. If they, as well as others report a specific problem with a vaporizer, and those same reports get repeated not only here but in other forums as well, I have no problem in relaying that information. I don't need to own a product to relay valid information about that product, be it bad or good.

I never mislead anyone by categorically stating that a product is bad. I have always stated that it is "reported" to be bad, or has had an inordinate amount of negative reviews, or that one has a good chance of getting a bad one over a good one and that the purchase of a particular vape is taking an unnecessary gamble, and in an effort to continue to help people make a wise purchasing decision, I will continue to do so, even if I don't "own" the product that I am commenting on, as long as there is enough information to warrant it.

lwien,

Vitolo

Vaporist
lwien said:
I will continue to do so, even if I don't "own" the product that I am commenting on, as long as there is enough information to warrant it.
In my books there is enough info only when I see, and touch!;)
Back to this general thread about "essences" that are unnatural-
I do not own any forced air vapes at all. I just was never interested. I have tried them and they do work well, I just don't like the concept.
I was reminded of a situation from a few months ago. a member of one of the groups that wanted to show me this great bargain he found. It was a box of Volcano replacement bags, usually worth $8 to $20 depending on where you go. My pal had paid 2.99 + $2 shipping. It said Volcano on the box, but the picture on the box was blurry. The colors were wrong. The box was made in china. We went to the ebay seller that sold this item, and "This item has been removed by the seller". We opened the box, and cut a bag off, and put it on the valve.
You know how a scented kitchen trash bag smells? That was it! I could smell plastic garbage bag right past the taste of the skunk vapors.
Moral: Buy genuine replacement parts, or at least established alternative parts. Knock offs are never a bargain!

Vitolo,
Top Bottom