DMT - dimethyltryptamine

Plotinus

Can we talk about this stuff? Anyone had any experience with the compound itself, or with ayahuasca? I just watched a documentary on it and I'm very interested in any personal experiences folks have.

Plotinus,

Nosferatu

My close friend tried it and from what I know its basically dreaming while your awake. DMT is a natural chemical we produce during sleep I guess thats what the dreams are from? So taking a larger amount while awake makes you trip hard and and see things, basically dreaming while you are just sitting there. Well I'm sure someone has a better explanation.

Nosferatu,

Theo

I've tried it. First time I was really nervous and was afraid to inhale too much and was very apprehensive about it. After taking the hits I felt like I wanted more and was very at peace with everything that was happening, next time I try to break through I'll be a lot more comfortable and ready for it and will hopefully actually break through.

I've also taken 'left-over hits' from somebody else before and didn't really get anything from that.

Theo,

Pappy

shmaporist
I used to smoke DMT in the late 60s. Very trippy stuff! I once smoked DMT on acid. I can't even begin to describe where I went but suffice it to say -- it was a TRIP!!!!!! :o

Pappy,

Theo

Pappy said:
I used to smoke DMT in the late 60s. Very trippy stuff! I once smoked DMT on acid. I can't even begin to describe where I went but suffice it to say -- it was a TRIP!!!!!! :o
:o :o

Something I can never see myself doing but if it worked out for you then it must have been one of the most amazing experiences you've had.

Theo,

Frickr

90% of plants and animals have DMT naturally produced in them. many natutal grasses can be harvested and the dmt can be extracted out. basic chemistry knowledge is required. i havent got to try dmt but am vary curious about it. im currantly reading DMT the spirti molecule by Rick Strassman. so far its been really intresting. the link with DMT and mental deseases and near death, birthing, and dying processes is amazing. even if one isnt curious about "tripping" on dmt, its still a great read. also links DMT to the spiritual feelings one gets from meditation or prayer. very very intresting stuff.

Frickr,

Plotinus

The documentary I watched is the film version of that book, and it relies heavily on Strassman, who seems like a pretty unusual guy for clinical psychology. I was impressed with him. (Less so with his test subjects. I have no fundamental beef with the 'aging hippy' set (guess I'd better not considering this board's demographics) but it's hard to take them seriously as skeptical observers when it comes to hallucinogens.)

There are a couple of things that really intrigued me about the accounts of trips given in the film, and I wonder whether those of you who have had the experience can relate...

1. A number of subjects reported that they experienced the *same* hallucinations across repeated trips. I have a very hard time understanding how this could be possible. Given that DMT is partially responsible for dreaming, are we just talking about the same mechanism that allows us to have recurring dreams? It makes me wonder whether there is a neuroscientific explanation for either of those phenomena (recurring trips/recurring dreams.)

2. I was very struck by the sense of awe/wonder that all of the subjects were left with. This may have been selective editing on the part of the documentarians, or selective choosing on Strassman's part, for that matter. But most of the Erowid accounts I've read squared with this. It seems that every person who tried DMT had an intense spiritual experience, with a ton of crossover (meaning that multiple subjects experienced the same things.)

Common crossovers: the trip preceded by a chaotic whirl of complex geometric patterns; a feeling of entering a 'spirit' realm; communing with or at least encountering foreign, spiritual beings (either aliens or angels, depending on who's telling the story); complete breakdown of the concept of time; and a sense of spiritual awakening that oftentimes negated the fear of death.

I think I could account for almost any one or two of these crossovers as being standard byproducts of hallucinogenic experience. But all of them at once, across dozens of people? I'm really at a loss. How can a simple chemical compound, interacting with an instrument as complex as the human brain, produce such similar experiences across so many subjects? It seems impossible to me.

Does anyone know whether other hallucinogens behave in a similar way? I'm asking specifically about mental effects. I've never heard of LSD, for example, having a 'standard' trip in which many observers encounter the same hallucinations. Mushrooms share some common elements - shifting textures from hyper-dilated pupils, the phenomenon of a mushroom 'voice' - but nothing as extensive as DMT accounts.

Plotinus,

Theo

My first time doing it in which I didn't fully break through I felt like I was on a surgical table with doctors above me looking like they were examining me. They were traditional aliens, the tall, skinny, grey guys with massive black eyes. I was totally fine with everything that was happening though and wasn't scared in the least bit by any of it.

As for if other drugs have the same standard effect I don't think that any of them do like DMT does. LSD and shrooms definitely have a certain feel to them but not nearly to the extreme that DMT does.

Theo,

Pappy

shmaporist
Plotinus said:
. A number of subjects reported that they experienced the *same* hallucinations across repeated trips. I have a very hard time understanding how this could be possible. Given that DMT is partially responsible for dreaming, are we just talking about the same mechanism that allows us to have recurring dreams? It makes me wonder whether there is a neuroscientific explanation for either of those phenomena (recurring trips/recurring dreams.)
I can understand the reoccurrence although I can't report it. DMT is a primal experience that goes beyond being human or being in this universe. Coming down from it I'm left with the memory that I travel out of this universe and was something other than human.

DMT is very short trip as I recall. Can't remember if it was like ten minutes or a half hour but very short. I was cognizant then as I am now it was drug induced. That knowledge guided me through hundreds of trips. Timothy Leary taught me how to trip. Set and Setting, that's one thing he had right. ;)

Pappy,

fidget

Pappy said:
Set and Setting, that's one thing he had right. ;)

My favourite trips were always the random type.

how the fuc k have i just hurt my foot jumping off a school roof at 3am before being pestered into replaying The End ten times to a friend who has never heard it before and is on his first trip?

fook me whats going on with all these soldiers dressed up and marching about - its like the changing of the guards at buckingham palace or something. hang on that is buckingham palace and they are changing the guard.

Always enjoyed acid but stopped everything except the obvious twelve years ago and I'm glad to have done so.

fidget,

Egzoset

Banned
If it can be vaporized instead of smoked then that sounds interesting but it's all too new to me, i'd need to read a lot and leave the idea on the back-burner long enough to stirr to maturity... Is it brutal compared to Salvia Divinorum? I guess that's one of the first questions i'd have on my mind before i try it.

Egzoset,

george

It's an amazing experience. You need to have prior experience with drugs like LSD or Mushrooms in my opinion, before you smoke/vape DMT or do ayahuasca.

The visual are similar to ones you get from lsd, but arguably 100s times more intense. People have described meeting "entities" while tripping.
Personally when i smoked dmt, i experience amazing visuals, an intense feeling of being pulled/pushed down into my chair, when i closed my eyes it was amazing what i saw and i felt like i saw someone/something while my eyes were closed, but it never got close enough for me to really tell what it was.

It's actually a lot more effective to be vaped than smoked, theres a special things you can make to vaporizer DMT, i'll try to find the link/picture.

"The Machine" for vaping/smoking dmt. i believe its mostly vaporization
http://forums.mycotopia.net/attachm...cs/67822d1195320961-dmt-pipe-83484machine.jpg

george,

Pappy

shmaporist
The DMT I smoked was a crystalline medicinally smelling compound that melted if I recall. I specifically remember having clairvoyant (ESP)-like communications with those I was tripping with. But that happened on acid too. More so on DMT though.

Pappy,

Egzoset

Banned
Hummm...

Thank you George! This illustration was clear, its steel wool could be the inspiration i needed to have a nice idea for my fantasy thread: DMT vs induction stove...

:D

Egzoset,

dr3

The DMT I smoked was also a crystal powder, I don' t remember the small or taste because it was so long ago. Very interesting experience, not un-like lsd, but different. I've heard some people describe it as spiritual, I believe it is used natively by shamans in the Amazon for spiritual quests. Also some kind of ESP-ish type feelings around the room. I enjoyed it and I remember the trip seeming to last a lot longer than it really did time-wise. I don't remember any side effects from smoking it, I sprinkled it on top of some weed in a pipe. Not sure about vaping it, I only had to take 2 or 3 hits of the stuff (combusted of course) to finish the dose. And it was plenty.

dr3,

Nycdeisel

I have read up some about DMT, and I became VERY interested in it, however, I dont think I would be comfortable trying it myself. It is basically the dream drug, but smoking/vaporizing it while awake is a very intense trip. or so I have heard.

Nycdeisel,

crawdad

floatin
think it helps to have a sitter if you can when you try something new. im doing a lot of research right now on something i plan on trying eventually as well, been very much drawn to it for about a year now.

the setting has a great deal to do with trips imho but i would be wary of boarding your flight with tons of anticipation or expectancy, the sacred herbs can have a way with such thoughts. just be open to its effects on you (everyone is different) and remain calm. :peace: best of luck!

crawdad,

Nosferatu

Everyone should try DMT and psychedelics in general. There really is another dimension or spirit world you can enter and re-enter. You can get there naturally through meditation like the monks and shamans do, but they also used the worlds natural psychedelics to get there. People who miss out on this aspect of life and put it aside as druggy nonsense are simply not living a full and real human life as it was intended. These things were used and considered sacred ways to open your minds perception of the world for as long as humans where around. Shame big America lost touch with reality and labeled these substances as illegal drugs. Just like our friend THC.

Nosferatu,

Theo

For DMT we had a friend of mine, who is a glass blower, blow us pretty much a free-basing crack-pipe. Just a tube with a bell on the end and a small hole in it. This is arguably the best way to smoke/vape it. It smells and tastes quite horrible, sort of like burning plastic.

As for how similar it is to Salvia: Salvia is DMT's evil twin. Salvia isn't exactly more intense but it's a much 'worse' trip. It is hard to explain but Salvia is something people shouldn't do and even more so shouldn't compare the 2. DMT is better in every way. When I was on Salvia I felt uncomfortable and it wasn't very enjoyable. As I said for my DMT experience I was at peace and extremely comfortable even when on a surgical table and being examined by aleins.

Theo,

crawdad

floatin
im not convinced everyone should try it, not all minds are the same and some are hardly prepared imho. i agree you can get "there" or at least close to "there" without enhancements, the mind is at least as sacred as the herb is...something not often considered.

and some do experience unpleasantness, more than likely its the mix of herb and that person more so than the herb itself...have to search for the best connection for yourself, its truly a journey.

crawdad,

Pappy

shmaporist
masbanji92 said:
Everyone should try DMT and psychedelics in general.
I appreciate the spirit of your post but such blanket statements don't hold water. Psychedelics are for people with stable open mindsets who are seekers by nature. They're certainly not for everyone, especially the uninitiated. I've witnessed people with schizophrenic dispositions go down the rabbit hole and not come back. Conversely I know of alcoholics administered LSD in clinical a setting that never drank again. We're talking about powerful stuff!

Pappy,

crawdad

floatin
Pappy said:
I've witnessed people with schizophrenic dispositions go down the rabbit hole and not come back.

as have i, and often wonder if i should consider this a sad situation or not. tangling with which reality is considered either more real or more beneficial for the mind is not easily sorted. im not so sure an altered version of reality can be sorted into a category of right and wrong, based on time spent there alone. granted, some cases are more severe than others...i know.

crawdad,

Nosferatu

Im sorry that was a pretty vaked post looking back. :D I guess not everyone should just try psychedelics. I WISH everyone had the mindset and stability to use these tools, but in this day and age most people don't.

Nosferatu,
Top Bottom