1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Divine Tribe atty's

Discussion in 'E-cig Based Portables' started by divinetribe, Jun 12, 2014.

1. elmoe420

elmoe420 Well-Known Member

I think in my mind I had inadvertently munged the prototype QQ you have with the heaters in the final release. Meaning I thought Matt had actually gone the route this time of a coil inside the alumina tube. You are of course absolutely right, now that I look at the picture of the tubes again they have an embedded wire and solder just like the donuts.

The OF post is super informative (the bit at the end always makes me laugh) and I thought Matt did have the v3 donuts tested for off gasing but can't find the post to the report? @divinetribe?

I do think as you said these are concerns rooted in suspicions but not actual data. However, I also understand the fear even if unwarranted. The attitude many people seem to adopt is "avoid unnecessary materials at all cost". This reductionist design philosophy for vapes isn't a bad one but I do think there is a a literal cost that comes with it.

For example, an alternative could have been to leave the SS wire leads poking out after embedding the coil into the alumina. Then the non resistance wire could have been attached to the SS via a gold crimp. That is more expensive materials though and I imagine would add substantially to the assembly and QC costs (not to mention introducing another point of potential failure).

Tradeoffs as always of course! Personally not going to fret much as long as the solder is actually silver and appears properly sealed/coated as OF describes. As always, it would be awesome to see a materials report and results of off gasing test. Probably the easiest way to alleviate any customer fears (even if unfounded).

2. 21stCenturyVape

21stCenturyVape Well-Known Member

I wonder how well a thick silicon o-ring/gasket placed snuggly around the quartz cup would work to seal off the air path from the heating element? This would obviously affect heating efficiency of the quartz cup but might be a quick and cheap solution for anyone concerned.

3. invertedisdead

invertedisdead trance-form

I would be more concerned about hot silicone offgasing than the solder. Silicone is not a very vaporizer friendly material in my opinion and experience. O-rings on a mouthpiece are about as much as I want to tolerate silicone.

4. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

5. 2clicker

2clicker we out there Accessory Maker

idk. pretty sure i could easily fit that cup into either my Vandy Vape Mesh RDA or one of my Rafale X attys. securing it wont be an issue at all.

as for the airflow... how is a not perfectly directed airflow going to stop the cup from vaping? do the heaters rely on airflow to operate? or are you saying itll just burn the dabs? i find it hard to believe that the airflow provided by my RDAs wont be sufficient for a nice vape out of those quartz cups. we arent talking about a lot of space here.

ive run donuts in cups before in my Rafale X. air flow hitting below and above the cup (dif builds) and both worked great.

time will tell! :rockon:

Vape Donkey 650 likes this.
  6. invertedisdead

With this design you just don't want too much airflow or you'll start cooling down the load. The cup relies on the directional airflow to move the oil across hotter parts of the cup to produce vapor instead of the oil just running or pooling from the heat via capillary effect.

7. 2clicker

i see. but that one tube in there, is only going to flow air in one direction... wont that make it pool the opposite direction?

also the site says things like “let cool 3-5 mins between each session” and “swab after each session”... what is a “session” here? is each dab a session? so if you want back to back dabs, maybe with friends, it is recommended to wait 3-5 mins between each dab? or is a a “session” a few dabs?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    invertedisdead likes this.
  8. invertedisdead

It seems to function pretty closely to a directional flow carb cap off a quartz banger at spinning the oil.

Click to play YouTube Video

No idea about the cool down time, but you'll want to swab after every use to avoid the quartz from gunking up from thermal degradation byproducts.

9. 2clicker

interesting on the swirl effect. may have to cop the whole kit after all.

as for gunk... so every dab eh? gotcha

10. tennisguru1

tennisguru1 Well-Known Member

I believe he has taken multi hits off that dab & then
    is cleaning it before he refills. (I hope so , lol)

JCat, invertedisdead and 2clicker like this.
  11. PandaLee

PandaLee Active Member

I'd assume cool-down times will be directly reflective of how much concentrate you put in. If it's a little a little 2 hitter, then probably like a minute to two. If like the video above or a little more, like 4 good hits or more, then probably the three minutes to five. I'll definitely experiment once I get it....but a lot may depend on your mod and battery sizes too

FMSQ, JCat, invertedisdead and 3 others like this.
  12. 2clicker

id like to see a SS cap for this device. one of my friends is gonna drop this thing i just know it.

well by “dab” i mean each “load”. i would only load enough for one rip at a time as anything left in there for another rip is gonna be flavorless. i would not want to apply a load and hit it multiple times. sure it will work, but those following hits wont have that flavor.

13. Bad Ocelot

Bad Ocelot Well-Known Member

Hey guys! Been a while! Hadn't posted as my vape game has been pretty stable for a while but just saw this bad boy came out & had to try one. Hopefully it'll be here this weekend. Gonna set up an arctic fox profile for it, I'll let you guys know what settings I end up with.

Loving the look of the directional airflow! Strong work @divinetribe ! However it does look as if the cup likely requires top airflow to function properly, fluid dynamics & whatnot, so I'd probably stick with the stock glass cap as opposed to sticking it in another rda.

As for swabbing frequency, probably depends on a number of variables like load size, type of concentrate, temp, etc. I probably wouldn't do more than 3 loads without wiping it out so as to get the best flavor. & if it does get gunked up you can always do an iso soak, warm water rinse, then torch clean whatever remains.

Thanks for the heads up on that eleaf invoke @Vape Donkey 650 ! May have to pick up one of those. If the Mrs. asks, I'm blaming you, ha. & that jetstream RDA looks awesome as well, I'm sure I'll buy one as soon as it comes out too!

14. invertedisdead

I can say from dabbing on quartz nails if you heat it up just once without cleaning it properly it's not coming off lol.

FMSQ, divinetribe, 2clicker and 2 others like this.
  15. 2clicker

watched the video again. appears this device is suited for situations when being discreet is not an issue. and when time isnt an issue. seems it takes min for it to really get up to temp. so maybe not ideal for being in public...?

my interest is definitely peaked though. ill have to order one when i can sneak it into my budget.

oh and i checked the site for the replacement parts, but only found the heaters for the cup. will the cup be available as well?

16. divinetribe

divinetribe We are trying our hardest to become Medical Grade Manufacturer

DISCOUNT LINK PLEASE DIRECT ALL QUESTIONS TO MY EMAIL and I will definitely give you the answer if I can.
    http://ineedhemp.com/product/quartz...past-customer-and-social-media-discount-link/
    Click to play YouTube Video

17. looney2nz

looney2nz Research Geek, Mad Scientist

"get a 510 adapter / heat sink to protect your mod on extended usage."

suggestions?

JCat, tennisguru1 and mixchu69 like this.
  18. PandaLee

PandaLee Active Member

It's going to come with one. And you can get them for cheap at local vape shops, usually.

tennisguru1, mixchu69 and 2clicker like this.
  19. 2clicker

adding to this...

you can get them online for like $2-5. just google “510 heatsink”.

ive got two coming from Slowtech

20. 2clicker

i just realized... what is the ID of those glass caps? ill bet i could get that cap to fit other atty decks easily. thus allowing the use of the quartz cup in other attys.

why? cuz im a tinkerer. i tinker. probably going to have to wait on my next pay day before ordering a kit.

any word on replacement cups and caps?

tennisguru1 and mixchu69 like this.
  21. StickyShisha

StickyShisha Well-Known Member

apparently my cell phone hasn't been sending my e-mail, for about a week. I think it is working now. i ran all the updates and rebooted. (i'm not a tech person)

hopefully Matt gets my email now, finally says sent

edit to add: yep it sent. He responded. Order placed.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    tennisguru1, JCat and 2clicker like this.
  22. Bad Ocelot

Bad Ocelot Well-Known Member

What's the diameter of the QQ? Looking at heat sinks now & there are way more options than the last time I bought one, ha. I have one, but it's fused to my old Triton 2 from my subohm nic vaping days, ha. Switched over to lower tech, hi resistance gear & nic salts so I'm not forever fucking with coils, builds, refilling, recharging etc. Will the heat sink affect temp control at all? Feels like I should know the answer to this but I totally don't.

I've been using the DC Gen 2 a good bit lately, & I haven't overheated my old og RX200 in quite a while. I usually get two sessions out of a load though, if I did it all at once that might get a temp warning. I think I might've fused the leads to the deck though, tried to remove the heating chamber last night & it was a no go, was able to easily wipe it out with an iso pad though, so not a big deal. Although it is less rebuildable now, ha. One little hack I've been doing with the Gen 2, that I picked up from using the Ascent by DaVinci, is putting some glass flowers in the bowl. I'll put one flat on the bottom & sometimes one one the top of the load as well, with the long point going down into the load. This pushes the goods away from the middle & towards the heating surface. The one on top can also act as a secondary screen keeping stuff from getting stuck onto the screen part of the mouthpiece. The one on the bottom also keeps some ganja off the floor of the chamber, which doesn't heat. This definitely seems to increase the efficiency of the atty & helps with airflow a little as well. Anyone else doing this or similar?

& now a couple mod related questions for @Vape Donkey 650 , you've got the qq on an evic basic in some of the pics, right? How well does that mod handle the qq's power requirements? And it looks like the Invoke is runs the batteries in series as opposed to parallel, so can it get where it needs to go with just one 18650? Would be cool to be able to use the second battery port as storage in certain situations. If this is indeed the case, can it still run on just one battery after flashing arctic fox?

tennisguru1 likes this.
  23. JigMelon

JigMelon Well-Known Member

Sent you an email yesterday; holding off on purchasing until the response.

tennisguru1 likes this.
  24. Kanna_Kult

Kanna_Kult Well-Known Member

So I have an evic VTC mini that I use with the top airflow Sai and being a single battery mod the battery life is shit, like a few sessions and it's dead. I imagine the QQ probably eats up even more power, but I seriously need one in my life hahaha. I've been considering either a 150w cuboid from joyetech or the predator 228 from wismec, or possibly a triple battery mod (if I go triple I'll probably get a wismec) if y'all think it's necessary. I want something as small and light as possible but that won't die in a few hours. Really like they way the cuboid looks and I'm already familiar with the joyetech software/firmware but it's old so idk if the predator 228 would be better. I am not a juice vaper so I'd never need anything above 100 watts for any reason I can think of. I'd like to keep the mod under $50 not including shipping. Suggestions?

EDIT: I am not stuck on these, also considered the VTC dual, evic primo, or voopoo drag. Just need something powerful but not to huge or immensely heavy. I'd like to be able to take it on a several hour hike without worry of it dying (not as much of an issue cus I don't like getting too high when im that high up lol) or to take down to the lake. just needs to do TC and easily reach 70w without killing the batteries

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    JCat likes this.
  25. Vape Donkey 650

Vape Donkey 650 All vape, no smoke please.

You wouldn't want to put any silicon or plastic touching directly to the quartz cup when it's in use, it can get over 500F and will melt even high-heat silicon, not good. The concerns about off-gassing from the solders on the ceramic rods seem highly hypothetical to me, so I don't see any need to try to isolate them from the air path.

I also don't see anything wrong with using silicon on vapes, provided it is rated to the proper temp and isn't coming in direct contact with the hottest parts of your vaporizer. O-rings and mouthpieces, fine, but most 510 / e-cig type atomizers also use some sort of silicon gasket or seal to separate the negative and positive flow on user-replaceable atomizer coils and 510 connectors. That's usually not touching the hottest parts, but it can be adjacent, and it seems to work out fine. Then there's also the vast usefulness of silicon tubes for connecting vapes to water tools in different ways, but I think I'm in a small minority in that interest. :shrug:

inverted has an idea on why the MP with directional tube is necessary. If you had airflow coming in from only the sides or underneath of a cup with tall walls, most of the air would just bypass the cup and rush straight up to the exit, out the mouthpiece. The oil would simply pool in the cup as it melts, and mere wisps of vapor would be produced.

The tall walls of the cup require some airflow to be blasted directly inside of it to make good vapor. And the diagonal angle of the tube to the cup makes for the swirl pattern which is helpful. Just don't overload the cup or tilt it too much in use because it is possible for oil to spill over.

I would love to see a metal cap for the QQ also. It is more easily possible to mass-produce smaller, more precise and complex parts in metal than glass, and perhaps it will be possible to make a double-tube SS cap for the QQ to make a swirl pattern and airflow even superior to the single tube! At the trade-off of not being able to see your oil melt and swirl, I might take that.

The QQ is just coming out now, we can hope alternative and extra tops will be available in the near-future. Even more than metal, I'd like to see 14 & 18mm glass tops to connect it to my rigs and hydratubes...

Definitely not for situations when not being noticed is an issue, and it probably won't be a good atomizer for quick, sneaky hits. But for safer, private vape places, it looks like it could function like a handy, quartz banger-on-the-go.

Honestly, I don't think this will be a great atomizer for the type of vaping I think you favor, but I wouldn't tell you not to buy it, either :p

It looks like the cups aren't available as a single part you can order, but that will change soon hopefully. (someone will break it and need it surely)

Inside diameter of the glass caps is about 18mm. Unlike the quartz cups as a stand-alone, I think it might be possible to utilize the glass caps for some creative uses on other RDAs that it will fit on...

After your interest in the QQ has peaked, then bottomed out, maybe your interest can be... "re-piqued" and make it's way into your cart on your next round of vape purchases? :D (homonyms)

Yup, you can buy heat sinks pretty cheap at vape stores and the typical online retailers, dhgate, alibaba, slowtech, gearworst, ebay, etc... 22, 24, 25mm size, many colors.

I bought a big mix-grab-bag of 22 & 24mm heat sinks from a vendor on dhgate, and they work, but I don't really like how the center pin has a loose, sloppy adjustability, you just loosen it on the bottom with a flathead screwdriver, and then the 510 connector on your atomizer pushes down the heat's sinks center pin into place. I think a positive 510 pin that is threaded and can be adjusted by screwing it, not just the pin on your atty pushing it, would be more secure. Most of these heat sinks fit fine on my mods, others feel too tight, almost that I might be damaging my mods by screwing them in all the way, but no damage yet :shrug:

It may be worth it to spend a couple bucks more and get heat sinks made a little better than the ones I have, but it's not easy to judge that just from looking at the pics or reading a few quick reviews. Maybe @KeroZen can recommend a known brand or vendor that sells a high quality heat sink. Even if it costs more than 5 bucks, it might be worth it to save the 510 connector on your mod.

@PandaLee I don't think the QQ comes with a heat sink. It's not shown on the pics on the website or mentioned that it comes with it, although Matt seems to be using one on his testing. It's a separate, add-on heat sink, not an integral part of the metal base.

Again, they're not "required" equipment, but are recommended, especially for the power users :ko:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors