Da Buddha

Nycdeisel

Def sounds like your scorching it(burning in certain parts of the load) or at least vaporizing way too hot, your probably getting a good amount of toxins too, based on the smell and color of the herb you described, sunsett.

Try finding your sweet spot between 12 and 2 on the dial, that is where most people stay, though all units are slightly different. Its possible that yours is running too cool, or that you should try plugging it into a different outlet that may give out more power, it does happen.

You should not exhale the vapor immediately either, but I kind of assume you know that. Try to hold vapor in your lungs for at least 10 seconds.

Take slower hits on a lower temperature, thats how ya do it. Not turning it up to near combustion temps and varying a fast pull speed, which sounds like what your doing.

Hope this helps your learning process

Nycdeisel,

sunsett70

thought about the 'running too cool' statement. but 'coolness' only seems to effect the "top level power" otherwise i wouldnt get nice vapor hits occasionally. the dbv works just that i still maybe need to fine tune my technique. i will try to adjust to slow motion breathing to compensate. anyway, read this from a brudder in some other forum "However, the most common newbie mistake is simply breathing in too fast. The slower you breathe in, the more time the heater has to heat up the air. If the air isn't hot enough, you don't get any vapor. If the air is too hot, you get smoke and a major loss of efficiency. The best tip I have for newbies, is to BREATHE IN SO SLOWLY IT FEELS LIKE YOU'RE NOT EVEN BREATHING IN. This sounds like a stupid tip, but 95% of first timers get great hits after following that advice."

on full power for few mins. packed a1/4 load, nothing to heavy. lower power to 11. prepare herb, load in wand, wait a min. breath slow motion. ....... .... ....... h o l y s h i t. no mini hits, these are good hits. surprised to reach the 5th hit, wanted to see how many times i could 'snort-n-breathe' the vapor out. got 10 snorts, 11 to clear all the misty vapor. pour out herb & check bowl color. hey, a few small pieces are black (3 pieces of the 'bigger' ones), some brown, a bit dark brown, a bit still greenish, like a mixture. stir and reload without the black pieces. increase power to 12, load n wait a min. got another 3 good hits, damn this sucker can run, and on 1/4 load only. nycdiesel wasn't lyin', no sir. hahaha! pour out herb & check bowl color. still seems ok. then i decided to crush the bigger black pieces i left out earlier and noticed that hey! there's actually 'power' left inside from the color. great! loaded up all the herb again and took a nice hit (my 9x!!!). couldnt believe it. decided to up the stakes on the 10 hit . i just hit it slow motion as usual, got the vapor and just kept pullin'. whee doggie, like a bitch in heat the damn vapor didn't let up, but I had my pride, I couldn't back down. something had to give though and i ended up choking & coughing & spraying misty vapor all over like some broken up fire hydrant! heee hahhhh! a stingy poke like me couldn't believe i was getting all this from brick herb, a 1/4 load of bowl! took me awhile to recover myself and when i did i discovered the wand was stuck! couldn't get it off, tried twist, twitch, n all that jazz. thought i'd break it if i go any harder. switched it off, waited till it's cooled and tried again but no luck. any suggestions?

i was playing around still trying to get the wand off and that's when i saw it - 120v on the underside of the base. yeah, i ordered a 220v as my country runs on 240v. the diff could be the reason for my suspicions. this dbv works so well but i'm gonna inform the seller and i may have to give it up or something. but it was so great to finally 'get it'. 'defective' or not, this dbv is a fantastic product.

p/s while waiting for the unit to cool, i did some hindu squats. the high is just cleaner, like fresh air.

sunsett70,

Nycdeisel

Told ya, sunsett ;) :cool:
But seriously, Im glad you are getting the hang of it already. You just need a tiny bit more patience.

It really is all a refined personal technique from here. When teaching someone else, I always use MY personal technique as a direction that others should aim at if they are just learning the DBV, but from there its all your own.

You need to play around with dial setting and breathing a lot, just be careful to plan your next move so that you dont 'just try something' that ends badly.

haha I helped someone with that EXACT problem pretty recently in THIS topic. Look back a few pages if you dont find my post let me know and I will either find it or re-explain.

see page 43., posts #1061, #1062, and #1063.

To avoid this in the future, simply remove the wand and set it down between hits.

Nycdeisel,

sunsett70

nycdiesel and guys, thanks for all your help and comments. i waited quite a long time but managed to get my wand out and was going to hit it again. i think maybe 1-3x left seeing the color but in my highness, i accidentally spilled the bowl so that was that. I'm writing this right now at the office the next day. it's 5pm and i still feel a slight buzz and my head is a bit light/heavy from the drags i took yesterday night (plus maybe the accumulated effects of my experimentation for the last few days). but still definitely easier on my head/body than smoking joints or bongs and my chest feel good. i guess on a 'normal' day i could take about 1-3x to get a manageable buzz/high.

final notes on experiment : i figure that packed properly and slow motion pull at high temp could cause combustion but i'm not going to try that yet. for newbies - when filling in a small amount in bowl, pack lightly and it would help to suck on the wand as you insert it in the hc so that the herbs on the top don't fall off the screen.

in summary, the DBV rules! can't wait to try it with some other herbs.

sunsett70,

illerrre

How do I know if I'm going too hot? What signs are there? Of course if get smoke and the herb turns black I'm way too hot, but other than that?

illerrre,

Nycdeisel

If the herb is too dark colored after, or is scorched and has black bits spread out on the top of the bowl.

You will be able to taste it for sure, if your vaping too hot, or if its too harsh on your throat(just the heat), or if the whip smells off afterwards.

Vaped weed has a scent more like that of the raw herb, plus a buttery type of scent as well.

Dont aim for huge hits, take small to medium sized hits and hold them in each for at least 10 seconds.

Nycdeisel,

sirprancelot

illerrre said:
How do I know if I'm going too hot? What signs are there? Of course if get smoke and the herb turns black I'm way too hot, but other than that?

Well... the hotter you go... the more mist you should see but equally the more tickley it will become on your throat and make you cough a lot. The ultimate test for wheter you have gone too hot or not is to consider were you able to inhale it comfortably and to just examine the debris from vaporizing... if it has little black bits in it.. or singed edges... you overdid it... wheras deep brown/dark dark brown... that's vaping (but at the extreme end of it). Do some experiments iwth material that has been vaped once over and that which has been pushed to edge of it's life. Compare the product side by side so you get a feel for what a "dead" colour is. You'll get the hang! :)

sirprancelot,

illerrre

Thank you both:)

I'm mostly gonna use hash. Anything in particular I should know about that? For instance it's already brown so I guess it will just turn a bit darker or?

illerrre,

sirprancelot

for hash - you'll need to vape at slightly higher temperatures than you would do with weed... you'll also find it goes on and on and on and on! In terms of colour, it depends on the hash but most hashes go darker looking and more crumbly. You should never see ash or the hash turning black/charcoaly (It's a lot harder to burn hash obv than it is weed and it does need higher temps). My suggestion would be to start at a normal high weed setting and keep on going up form there until you find a sweet spot. You'll get shitloads of hits from a small amount of hash so you have plenty of inhales to experiment with. Again... if it's too tickley on your throat back off with the temps. As an ex-smoker I am a vapor cloud hunter so if you are too, you're prob looking for max cloud without any coughing. I can normally do 3 hits in a row in my sweet spot before taking a breather, a sip of a drink and then hitting another 3 big clouds. FYI I don't hold my hits in any longer than normal smoking as I find really there is no need for me. Clearly there are many different schools of thought with how best to use vaporizers. You need to figure out what suits your style best. I personally like monster fucking rips. Have fun. Go experiment!! :)

sirprancelot,

BL4sT

sirprancelot said:
Clearly there are many different schools of thought with how best to use vaporizers. You need to figure out what suits your style best. I personally like monster fucking rips. Have fun. Go experiment!! :)

That's so right. I prefer big hits too, and DBV provides it, with a great taste. As for keeping the vapor for a long time, am I the only one who can't see a difference?

And for the vapor exhaled, I like to exhaled big cloud of vapor.. and it gets me high. When got no vapor, the high isn't a real high.. Wasted vapor ? not sure.. I prefer 3 big hits instead of 15 small. lol

BL4sT,

pelswick

a started keeping one of those rubberized pads that are for opening jars, in with my vape. now whenever it gets stuck it's real easy to twist out.

pelswick,

shyronnie

I will be new to vaping, but have lurked for some time. Watching youtube has given me the best understanding I could have not doing it myself.

I hear a raspy, variable strength inhale going on with whip vapes on a lot of the videos. Reading this thread, it constantly comes up with vape veterans reminding noobies to inhale SLOWLY at the start. Air only resistance seems like an acquired talent!

I think water vaping is so popular because most smokers are used to water resistance on inhale, and the water pipe chamber gives a better indication of the quality of the draw.

I do not plan on straight vaping unless my Ehle bowl does not jive with the tubing. I looked at Vriptech and other wand types, but DBV won out on its flexibility, ruggedness and reviews.

Has anyone paired their DBV with an Ehle 250ml (Ice)?
As my DBV is not here yet, I was wondering if the tubing fits the stock bowl or if you need something more like a cylinder shaped bowl:
http://www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/EHLE_Glass_Cylinder_Bowl_145.cfm?iProductID=6278

shyronnie,

2clicker

Observer
pelswick said:
a started keeping one of those rubberized pads that are for opening jars, in with my vape. now whenever it gets stuck it's real easy to twist out.

sorry for the weak pic, but here you can see some clear silicone tubing on the outside of my DBV wand

WH1-1.jpg

makes it much easier to twist out if the joint gets stuck

just better grip all around and also does not get hot

its also a good idea to keep something under the front of your DBV to protect the wand from those times when someone pulls to much on the tubing and the wand just falls out. a towel or a mouse pad work well and have saved my DBV wands numerous times.

2clicker,

shyronnie

I got my DBV in today, slapped it together and let it burn high for 10 while I did the happy dance.

First hit was a miss, then I slowed it down and took a second hit. I felt like slower was better, but it was far from a great rip.

Then I remembered the thick milkshake tip from somewhere in this thread. In yoga, if you have ever done breathing exercises where you breath in from your mouth to your deep in your belly (core ... your abs actually go in before lungs expand) ... DO THAT.

After the second hit and the plan to breath into my abs, I stirred the bowl and threw in a bit more fresh. I also moved the dial from 11 to 12:30. I pulled 4 or 5 really good rips (for a noobie) in a row. In any event, I've had 7 hits tops and I am feeling a very good - heady high.

Coming from joints, the taste is yummy! I am fortunate to have a bit of 4 different varieties right now.

I'll test my Ehle 250 bowl, but there is not nearly as much room on the bowl as I have this tubing up the whip. I'll probably just order the medium Ehle cyl 14mm bowl and be in nirvana.

Thanks FC this board effin rox!

edit: one more thing, my ABV was about the color of brown sugar with some darker spots that looked like the color of wet brown sugar ... I plan on throwing my ABV back in w fresh most of the time so is that initial light brown vaped too high? too low? about right? cheers!

shyronnie,

Infected

Hey guys, been lurking for a while but decided to register. I'm planning on buying a da buddha soon, but it seems as if many stores are out of stock. I'm from New Zealand so I'll be buying online. Vapeworld said that they're hoping they get them in by February, but I can't wait that long. Are there any other stores that have them in stock now, ship to NZ and maybe have some sort of discount?

Infected,

illerrre

I read somewhere in this thread that the wand should be removed when not inhanling. Why is this? Doesn't the wand get hot?

illerrre,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
illerrre said:
I read somewhere in this thread that the wand should be removed when not inhanling. Why is this? Doesn't the wand get hot?

Couple of reasons off the top of my head. Heat might make the glass expand ever so slightly giving you grief trying to remove the wand ( the trick is letting it cool down and maybe a trip to the refrigerator). Another one might be loss of actives due to passive conduction based vaporization. i.e. it's still cooking even though you are not inhaling.

Skunkypete,

max

Out to lunch
illerrre said:
It's not really necessary to take it out between hits, but the glass will get hotter the longer it's connected, and between that and ambiant heat from the element, your bowl contents will get exposed to some heat. The DBV provides a pretty uniform air stream, but it pays to stir the bowl a time or three, depending on how much you load, so removal would be in order for that. If you're worried about the wand getting too hot to handle, don't.

max,

SmokingElectricity

^^^never had a problem like this and i never take my wand out until the bowl is kicked or need to be stirred. if your wand is getting stuck, you.re using too much force. put the wand in and give is a ever so slightly twist to keep it in place, same when pulling out. as for vapor escaping... i guess, if your gonna be walking away from the unit for a while then yes take the wand out, but your gonna sit there and blow through a bowl there is no real reason. just adds more unnecessary wear to the ground glass joints.

maybe im just lazy :ko:

SmokingElectricity,

illerrre

Trying it right now:) If I have no mist when breathing out, did I get nothing then?

Cuz I started low and I felt the taste right away but no mist. I raised it, but no mist, alot of taste though. Now I've risen it again up to 13 and I had mist one time and it was still nice to my throat.

So no mist = not getting anything or is taste a good enough indicator?

Also when do I know it's empty? When there is no more mist and the taste is gone?

illerrre,

2clicker

Observer
illerrre said:
Trying it right now:) If I have no mist when breathing out, did I get nothing then?

Cuz I started low and I felt the taste right away but no mist. I raised it, but no mist, alot of taste though. Now I've risen it again up to 13 and I had mist one time and it was still nice to my throat.

So no mist = not getting anything or is taste a good enough indicator?

Also when do I know it's empty? When there is no more mist and the taste is gone?

if your tasting it a lot then you are getting, but your still on the lower end of the temp spectrum if your not seeing any vapor. you should be seeing some vapor when you exhale unless your going for small hits and holding them a long time. then you may not see much at all. if your going for big hits and wanna see vapor exhaled then you should see it.

turn the dial up even more. in fact keep turning it up until you start to burn the herb. then you will know what setting is exactly too much heat. then anything under that is good to go.

just keep messing with it and youll understand, but yes you should usually be seeing vapor exhaled.

and youll know its done when its brown and not producing any vapor.

2clicker,

Nycdeisel

the problem I see from leaving the wand in when not in use is the wand getting HOT so the glass expands and the GonG connection locks and the wand may be 'stuck' although it can be removed, it can be annoying for some. Besides that and herb stirring, there are no reasons to remove the wand.

personally, I remove the wand at the end of every hit to 'clear' the whip of vapor. But that is just me, feel free to develope your own technique!

Nycdeisel,

max

Out to lunch
Besides that and herb stirring, there are no reasons to remove the wand.
If the temp is set high enough (and some do crank it up), and it's left connected long enough, you will get vaping temps applied with ambient heating. Leaving it connected between hits is not an issue though.

max,

Nycdeisel

you will get vaping temps applied with ambient heating

By this, do you mean that the herb will be vaporized, or will at least heat up the herbs more, if left unattended in that way?

Nycdeisel,
Top Bottom