Da Buddha

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Has anyone tried to get a thermometer to read the temperature in the glass and get an estimate of the real temperature in relation to knob position?

Instead of 22 o'clock to 2 o'clock, you would actually have the real number and you only would have to do this once if you get it right.

ALthough it is, for many people, a non issue, i think it would be nice to just know the temperature at which you are vaping.

vorrange,
Guys, I did a ton of research and still have having a SUPER hard time deciding between the Extreme Q and Da Buddha.

I'll break my questions down in parts:

1. Some people say that DB produces a higher quality vapor than the EQ, is this true?

2. Which is more convenient? I've watched countless videos on how both vapes work and got my hands on a friend's EQ one time. It seems like the herbs have to stay in the cyclone bowl for the EQ, and cannot be removed until the bowl is cooled down. Does this mean that the vape will keep vaporizing the herbs before it's cooled down completely? It seems that in the DB, the herbs are left in the wand (similar to an elbow pack in the EQ), and the user can remove the herbs from the heat whenever he chooses. Does this mean the DB is more efficient since it doesn't heat your herbs when you don't want it to?

3. Which one has more consistent temperature? I've realized the temp readouts of the EQ is more like a guideline, but I want to be sure that if can get a consistent temperature after I've found my preferred temperature. This does not mean that the EQ has to have accurate digital readouts, as long as it returns to the same (wrong) temps every time, it'll be fine.

in the end, which is actually better? Is it pretty much down to personal preference?

(sorry i'm posting this in both of the DB and the EQ discussions)

MUCH APPRECIATED~

andrecanucks,

Vitolo

Vaporist
andrecanucks said:
Guys, I did a ton of research and still have having a SUPER hard time deciding between the Extreme Q and Da Buddha.

I'll break my questions down in parts:

1. Some people say that DB produces a higher quality vapor than the EQ, is this true?
Perhaps a more consistent thicker vapor.
2. Which is more convenient? I've watched countless videos on how both vapes work and got my hands on a friend's EQ one time. It seems like the herbs have to stay in the cyclone bowl for the EQ, and cannot be removed until the bowl is cooled down. Does this mean that the vape will keep vaporizing the herbs before it's cooled down completely? It seems that in the DB, the herbs are left in the wand (similar to an elbow pack in the EQ), and the user can remove the herbs from the heat whenever he chooses. Does this mean the DB is more efficient since it doesn't heat your herbs when you don't want it to?
In general that is true, also the DBV wand is easily laid next to your unit. Even left attached, heat rises.. but does not steadily flow sideways, therefore the DBV wand wont sit and roast (though it will get pretty darned warm over a long period)

3. Which one has more consistent temperature? I've realized the temp readouts of the EQ is more like a guideline, but I want to be sure that if can get a consistent temperature after I've found my preferred temperature. This does not mean that the EQ has to have accurate digital readouts, as long as it returns to the same (wrong) temps every time, it'll be fine.
in the end, which is actually better? Is it pretty much down to personal preference?
There is no temp setting on a DBV or SSV. I have used the exact same spot on the dial (user preference by experience .. not by gauge) for years... It varies on the EQ(sold) so I would say it is more reliably consistent. Not better, just more predictable!

(sorry i'm posting this in both of the DB and the EQ discussions)

MUCH APPRECIATED~
I will add to my answers here, that I have owned both.
I find the Q to be a "jack of all trades"... but a "master of mone".
It does many things but does none of them perfectly.
Also there are more working parts, meaning more things to go wrong.
Simple is good. The DBV has been on in my home for 2 years running.
The Q was sold after 6 months.
Since then, I have had 2 Extreme Qs donated to the community by people who decided to switch to a DBV or SSV.

Vitolo,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Here are my answers/comments based on 6 months usage of the DB and now recently switched to the EQ about 1 month ago...

I actually broke down your question #2 in 4 questions... ;)

That is not true. What J.R.R.Tokin' said is correct. As far as I am concerned, I don't use the 'elbow pack' method and I'm still getting large thick clouds like I was with my DB. The advantage with the EQ here is that it will brown your herb more evenly in the cyclone bowl and will require less stiring than the DB for the same hit results.

2. Which is more convenient? The EQ because it is more versatile (whip & bags), it has temp reading, and I find the 'handsfree' better on the EQ because there is no chance of the wand (the elbow) of getting out and falling off if your not carefull when moving the whip around. This happened to me a couple times with the DB and I actually broke a wand once.

I've watched countless videos on how both vapes work and got my hands on a friend's EQ one time. It seems like the herbs have to stay in the cyclone bowl for the EQ, and cannot be removed until the bowl is cooled down. No. You can still remove the cyclone because the top part is coated and does not get as hot and then remove the herbs if you want. But again, I don't know why you would do that.

Does this mean that the vape will keep vaporizing the herbs before it's cooled down completely? No, because as you say, it's cooling down... So no vaporization happening here.

It seems that in the DB, the herbs are left in the wand (similar to an elbow pack in the EQ), and the user can remove the herbs from the heat whenever he chooses. Does this mean the DB is more efficient since it doesn't heat your herbs when you don't want it to? No, because with the EQ you can actually leave the cyclone and herb there for a while (you could also use your remote and turn down/up the temp when needed!). I find the EQ will not heat my herb in the cyclone as much as the DB would with the wand when not in use. If I left the DB powered ON with the wand and herb in it for say 10 minutes, I would see a clear discoloration spot in the herb. I would assume the same will happen with the EQ but it would take much more time has the herb is not as close to the heating element. I've left a full cyclone a couple times for over 15 minutes with no apparent discoloration afterwards, and I was still getting the same amount of clouds.

Both have consistent temperature. The only advantage of the EQ here is the temp readout screen. Now as you say, no one really knows how the EQ reading is accurate, but once you're set on a preferred temp with a specific strain, it's much easier than just relying on a knob with no markings like the DB.

Absolutely. They are both excellent vapes and they are based on pretty much the same concept. The EQ has obviously more technology into it. The DB is built like a tank and will last for years.

My :2c:

Last edited by a moderator:
Vaporisateur,

Toadu

Hey there, I got a question about the DB. I've just received my second DB as the first one had a cracked heater cover.

How tight should the heater cover be? On my first model the heater cover was pretty tight, so you could not easily turn it around once it is installed. The heater cover on the second DB is rather loose so and it also looks like the metal cylinder where the ceramic heater comes out has a bent edge but I'm not quite sure if that's normal. I'm out of town for the weekend so I can't post a picture of mine right now, but according to this picture I found online it should not be bent...

amv9k3.jpg

So if anyone could spare his/her experience or post a picture of that part of the DB I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Toadu,

2clicker

Observer
the bend in the shim is totally normal. if you email 7th Floor they will likey send you some new shims. its all about finding one that fits your setup. all of that should have been checked over before it was sent out, but sometimes stuff like that slips out. or you can take off your heater cover and bend/open the shim just a bit. this should help tighten things up a bit.

everything sounds normal.

EDIT: also the shim in your pic looks to be up much higher than normal. it doesnt appear as if there is much heater element sticking out of it. the shim should be pushed all the way down the cylinder of the heater.

2clicker,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
@Toadu: It's all normal, but the heater cover should not move easily and freely. You want to remove the heater cover and the shim (that cylinder piece of metal with a corner bended). Then you can expand the shim to a slightly larger diameter until it fits snugly it in the heater cover. Make sure not to touch the ceramic heat rod when you remove or replace the heater cover. I had to do the same thing when I got my DB last year. Good luck!

Vaporisateur,

2clicker

Observer
Vaporisateur said:
Make sure not to touch the ceramic heat rod when you remove or replace the heater cover.

just curious... why do you say this?

are you worried about damaging the surface of the ceramic or about getting oils from your skin on it...?

2clicker,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
2clicker said:
Vaporisateur said:
Make sure not to touch the ceramic heat rod when you remove or replace the heater cover.

are you worried about damaging the surface of the ceramic or about getting oils from your skin on it...?

Exactly. These things are fragile as hell.

Vaporisateur,

OnTheCorner

Just got this thing and love the crap out of it. I had an MFLB for the longest time and didn't know if this would be a good upgrade but it totally was. I put it around 2 or 3 o clock and I feel like I'm experiencing my herb entirely. AND I have some herb that tastes like strawberries, and when they are put in Da Buddha they truly taste like strawberries. Nothing else.

And about the conservation coming from an MFLB it doesn't seem to be any more or less efficient than the MFLB. Maybe a little more in the sense that less stirring (shaking) is involved than with the MFLB.

I also notice I don't have to grind up the herb as fine as with the MFLB, pretty awesome. Takes a while to get brown. Love the bag too.

OnTheCorner,

max

Out to lunch
And about the conservation coming from an MFLB it doesn't seem to be any more or less efficient than the MFLB.
Efficiency is actually easier with a model like the DBV, since you dial in your temp setting. Efficiency in general is more on the the user than the particular model. Some encourage you to use less, like the fixed temp log vapes, with the smaller bowl, while larger bowls and bigger hitters tend to prompt you to use more.

I also notice I don't have to grind up the herb as fine as with the MFLB
I can't think of a vape that needs as fine a grind as the LB. It's different, in that it uses mainly conduction, but still provides excellent performance. For the most part, conduction vapes don't offer much, vs. convection.

Enjoy the DBV. It's a good one.

max,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Vaporisateur said:
2clicker said:
Vaporisateur said:

Not quite, The ceramic element that 7th floors uses is def strong enough to withstand a human hand touching it, and as far as the oils go, just crank the DB and you'll burn anything off. I was never overcautious with my DB, it is a tank and the ceramic is not as fragile as you make it seem IMO The glass will break way before the ceramic rod. Has anyone here every broken their heating element in a DB?

aesthyrian,

Toadu

Thanks for the replies so far, I just bent the the metal piece and its fine. But two more things: Should the two metal tubes be stacked on top of each other or should the cover each other (like spooning for humans)? Right now, after putting the heater cover on, they stack on top of each other, which basically blocks the hole of the heather cover... (or should I spin it that the "open part" of the metal is in front of the hole)

here are some photos:
metal tubes on top of each other:
vjl1g.jpg

or in big: Your link text

and here the covered (I suppose air intake) hole
28qxc1y.jpg

big: Your link text

Still I'm not sure how tight it should be, currently the heater cover and the two metal tubes come off when I turn it upside down..

And I can hear that there is something small rattling inside on the bottom when I "swivel" the vaporizer. Is that normal?

So far I couldn't test it as I can't send it back if its used... but my overall impression so far is: I hate it I wanted a friggin simple vape without bells and whistles and now I got 2 units and they don't work out of the box - come on...

Toadu,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
aesthyrian said:
Vaporisateur said:

Not quite, The ceramic element that 7th floors uses is def strong enough to withstand a human hand touching it, and as far as the oils go, just crank the DB and you'll burn anything off. I was never overcautious with my DB, it is a tank and the ceramic is not as fragile as you make it seem IMO The glass will break way before the ceramic rod. Has anyone here every broken their heating element in a DB?

Better safe than sorry IMO.

Vaporisateur,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Toadu said:
Thanks for the replies so far, I just bent the the metal piece and its fine. But two more things: Should the two metal tubes be stacked on top of each other or should the cover each other (like spooning for humans)?

They should be over each other (like spooning as you say), I guess they use two shields because your heat cover diameter is larger than others. The whole should not be covered like your picture. Perhaps you'll only need one shield.

Vaporisateur,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Toadu said:
Should the two metal tubes be stacked on top of each other or should the cover each other (like spooning for humans)? Right now, after putting the heater cover on, they stack on top of each other, which basically blocks the hole of the heather cover... (or should I spin it that the "open part" of the metal is in front of the hole)

In my DBV, the metal tube is down, on the base of the Heater Cover, i didnt know there were two metal tubes. So either there is only one and you have one extra or the two of them are both at the base of the cover, covering the 360.

And I can hear that there is something small rattling inside on the bottom when I "swivel" the vaporizer. Is that normal?

Mine doesn't rattle at all, maybe something got loose during shipping..

vorrange,
Anyone have the $30 smallest glycerin coil? Did you notice it clogging? Then blow into it and some shit comes out? Like oooey goooey ear waxy shit? Well thats fucking ear wax hash!!!!! I just hot nailed it in my bong it its amazing!!!

VapeNStone,
Reactions: cluffy

Zebra Bars

Get to the going before the goin' gets got!
I have never vaped before in my life until I got a Buddah from my friend a few months ago. I've been doing all kinds of ways to use it but I'm stuck at a crossroad between two.

One way I have the dial at 11 to 2 (depeninding on bowl size) and I inhale slowly. This way seems like it wastes more or is just harder to get a comfortable hit. Another way I started doing more is getting the dial from 2 to 4 and inhale fast, this way lets me get less air and I can hold it in longer. I've been getting more hits this way and am not seeing as much vapor on exhale opposed to the lower heat hits. I only use the slightest pinch now for a bowl, I just barely cover the screen. Pretty much I'm simulating a lighter from all my years of smoking.

IDK if it's preference or if I just havent perfected it yet. I seem to burn on lower heats but Higher heats seem to work better, which is weird cus I thought the lower heats were more efficient in all factors of how you feel afterwards and how your herb handles. Is there any DBV users that can help me out with any advice.

Zebra Bars,

weedemon

enthusiast
higher heats release more actives than lower temperatures can. perhaps you prefer the more cbd/ cbn spectrum over just thc alone?

weedemon,

Zebra Bars

When I first started I used the lower heats and just inhaled very slowly but deep. I'd get good hits like this but only 5 or 6 hits and it would always get black and charred. Now I've been turning it up to a bright glowing level and try inhaling quick, I don't inhale for as long so I thought this is why I liked it, I can actually now hold in my vape, I just feel like I'm still getting a big air to vape ratio.

Zebra Bars,

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
I think it may be preference but i perfer high heat and faster draws. When i got my vape, the salesperson gave me a tip, it stuck cause it rhymes, "the slower the pull, the lower the heat." i dont like taking too long of draws so i perfer the high heat, fast pull method. This has become a problem for me because every smokers draw is different, and when a friend who draws slow does it on high heat, theres a good chance of combustion.

YoGranMazPimp,

Zebra Bars

I think it may be preference but i perfer high heat and faster draws. When i got my vape, the salesperson gave me a tip, it stuck cause it rhymes, "the slower the pull, the lower the heat." i dont like taking too long of draws so i perfer the high heat, fast pull method. This has become a problem for me because every smokers draw is different, and when a friend who draws slow does it on high heat, theres a good chance of combustion.
i understand, it's hard for me teaching certain people to use it, I adjust the temp to their pulls. I think the transition from combustion to vape is best dealt with when using the "quick pull" to simulate that lighter effect.

Zebra Bars,

Nycdeisel

Considering you have only been vaporizing for a few months, I dont think you have mastered it just yet ;). It looks like you need more experimentation with the DBV. Try adding a little more then just barely covering the screen, dont grind it too fine, but be sure it isnt too moist either(dry herb gives better vapor, herb that is more dry can also grinder finer easier). Try some different positions on the dial too. I tended to stay between 1 and 2 on mine.

Dont forget to stir the herb every 3-4 hits or so, and dont stir it and pack it down, you can tamp it down VERY gently if you want but its best not to pack it down much.

The way you pull has a lot to do with it, and maybe you are just having trouble controlling the speed of the pull. Remember to also remove the wand at the end of every hit to clear it, and to help cut off the heat towards the end. vape in better light too so you can see the vapor better if you are going off of what you see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom