Da Buddha

lwien

Earths Essence said:
Your obsessiveness with efficiency always amuses me.

I blame Tom for this.

But let me ask you a question. My ONLY comment in this thread was in response to Twisted's comment about how many hits he can get from .05gr in his Buddha. How does responding to his claim by me using a PD as a counterpoint, equate to me being obsessive about efficiency?

But hey, if I can amuse you, that's a good thing, eh?

Earths Essence

lwien said:
Earths Essence said:
Your obsessiveness with efficiency always amuses me.

I blame Tom for this.

But let me ask you a question. My ONLY comment in this thread was in response to Twisted's comment about how many hits he can get from .05gr in his Buddha. How does responding to his claim by me using a PD as a counterpoint, equate to me being obsessive about efficiency?

But hey, if I can amuse you, that's a good thing, eh?

Well you amuse me especially because I obsess over the efficiency of the PD, too. A single bowl is very, very efficient for the right person. You are a prime example of the perfect person for the PD: medicates less frequently than many vaporists, and is an active, healthy middle-aged man. It is true when you say there really is no right vaporizer. It all just depends.

Earths Essence,

lwien

Earths Essence said:
You are a prime example of the perfect person for the PD: medicates less frequently than many vaporists, and is an active, healthy middle-aged man.

See, now that last part I take as a major compliment being that I am definitely past the point of being middle-aged, so.................thank you.

lwien,

TwztedVaper

Boom Shankar
lwien said:
UncleJunior said:
You can get at least 10 hits off of less than .1 grams.

Yeah, but he's talking about getting, "at least" 15 "tasty" hits from half as much. This is the first that I've ever heard of anyone getting 15 "tasty hits" from 0.05gr. in a Buddha. I sure as hell wasn't able to do that and I have access to some of the best bud around.
I never said tasty hits, I said "nice" hits with visible vapour upon exhale, that get you nice and high.

And yes, I used a scale.

Maybe sometime if I care enough I'll make a video or post vids, I don't care enough to set up my camera and all that shit just to prove a point coz in the end I don't care, I'm still going to be getting 10+ hits from a tiny bowl. :2c: I'll say it again, the key is using a low temperature. Try a lower than usual temperature and see if you get more hits too. Starting higher up from the beginning seems a little wasteful to me, I like to start low and end high (unless I don't have the time and need to get through a bowl quick, then I set it high and take a few HUGE flavourful rips and the bowl is done

the increased surface area of the screen (as compared to the PD) along with the increased surface area on the inside of the whip and wand for condensation to build up, as compared to the PD, I just don't see how this is possible
I would think such losses would be negligible per single bowl.. over time they add up but you don't lose much from just 1 bowl

TwztedVaper,

lwien

Wait a second. First you said, "i pack like 0.05g in my DBV and i get atleast 15 nice hits off it", and now you're at 10+ ("I'm still going to be getting 10+ hits from a tiny bowl..")

Which is it? 15 hits, or 10+..........or, is 10+ at least 15? I'm gettin' a bit more confused here.

And yes, I stand corrected. You didn't say tasty, you said "nice". So are you implying that your nice hits aren't tasty? Just trying to understand why you would correct me on using the word "tasty" instead of "nice".

But then, hey, as you stated, you could care less to validate what you are saying here..........so I guess we'll just leave it at that, as far as you are concerned.

But to others, can anyone else duplicate what is being claimed here with their Buddha? I sure as hell couldn't, that is being able to get at least 15 nice hits (which implies possibly more) from 0.05gr.....even with starting at 10:30 to 11 on the dial and ending at 2.

I would think that this could be very valuable information to the other owners and potential owners of this vape, if in fact, this can be accomplished.

If it can, than I'll be the first to call myself a dumbass and take my Buddha out of storage.

lwien,

majorpayne66

Colorado MMJ Patient
TwztedElegance said:
uhh, just coz you don't, doesn't mean i don't. i pack tiny amounts in my DBV every day (just about enough to cover the screen) and i can EASILY pull off 10 nice hits, with visible vapour upon exhaling even after holding for 10-15 seconds. try using lower temperatures and better weed and then talk.

Im pretty good about hitting da buddah and last nite I tested this .I do not have a scale. I put a pinch in it to try this, it did not cover the whole screen . All hits had some visable vapor and I was able to get 8 hits. I could see getting 10+ with a bit more weed .:2c:

majorpayne66,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
lwien said:
Wait a second. First you said, "i pack like 0.05g in my DBV and i get atleast 15 nice hits off it", and now you're at 10+ ("I'm still going to be getting 10+ hits from a tiny bowl..")

Which is it? 15 hits, or 10+..........or, is 10+ at least 15? I'm gettin' a bit more confused here.

And yes, I stand corrected. You didn't say tasty, you said "nice". So are you implying that your nice hits aren't tasty? Just trying to understand why you would correct me on using the word "tasty" instead of "nice".

But then, hey, as you stated, you could care less to validate what you are saying here..........so I guess we'll just leave it at that, as far as you are concerned.

But to others, can anyone else duplicate what is being claimed here with their Buddha? I sure as hell couldn't, that is being able to get at least 15 nice hits (which implies possibly more) from 0.05gr.....even with starting at 10:30 to 11 on the dial and ending at 2.

I would think that this could be very valuable information to the other owners and potential owners of this vape, if in fact, this can be accomplished.

If it can, than I'll be the first to call myself a dumbass and take my Buddha out of storage.

I'll talk about the SSV on this one, but I'm almost sure the DBV is similar:

Normal wand: 0,16 g of CRAZY stuff (Amnesia Haze/JackHerrer/White Widow for example): 20 BIG rips, 12 flavorful, 4 middle flavor, 4 neutrals

Using the "elbow" screen of my Q on the normal wand: 0,04 g of same stuff: 10 BIG rips, 6 flavorful, 2 middle flavor, 2 neutrals

Using VB mini-whips : 0,06 g of same stuff: 14 BIG rips, 8 flavorful, 3 middle flavor, 3 neutrals

So, yes customizing the wand will make your DVB/SSV super efficient...and having a smaller bowl, closer to the heater (put the dial of the SSV around 9AM!) will improve his "efficiency" a lot...Proof is the color of your ABV will be much more on the chocolate side ;) !

FLskwat,

TwztedVaper

Boom Shankar
There you go.. some more people with similar results. I don't see what all the fuss is about. If you aren't getting some decent hits out of a tiny amount too you need to tweak your technique and/or find some other bud. I just loaded a pinch that didn't even cover the screen and it's still going pretty strong after 6-7 nice hits. I'm sure i'll milk atleast 5-6 more hits out of it, and it's definitely less than 0.05g.

TwztedVaper,

blackbur

i really think you don't know the right weight of what your vaporizing.

but if your getting as much vapor as you claim..more power to you.

blackbur,

max

Out to lunch
TwztedElegance said:
Think of it like this: .1 in the DBV/SSV/LSV is MUCH better than 4 stems in the PD (which would equal .1).
Better how? More satisfying? That would be a matter of opinion wouldn't it? Since my two primary home vapes for years have been the PD and SSV, I'd certainly say so. As for loading .05g in any vape, that's just a guess, even if you have a scale accurate to .01g. Depending on the consistency of the herb and how it's packed, a particular bowl could easily contain less than .025g, or up to .075g or so. The average size/load for a PD bowl was found by loading ten bowls (multiple times), weighing the ten loads of herb, and dividing the total by ten to get an average. Weighing just one bowl's worth won't be accurate with a .01g scale, and most scales are only plus or minus .1 g. I was also able to pack a little tighter, with herb that was ground finer, and get an average of .05g. I might also add that PD bowls have been produced in a longer length for some time now, vs. the original size. Bottom line, counting hits and estimating bowl loads that aren't even .1g is a waste of time. You can't measure hit size and small loads like this without some pretty sophisticated scientific instruments

blackbur said:
Your claiming a lot of vapor off a small amount of bud and saying the key is low heat..
were just skeptical and want proof.

It's quite true that at high temps the number of hits you'll get will be far fewer than at low temps. Last night, with some very good herb (what you're vaping does make a difference), I got at least a dozen good hits (with visible vapor on exhale) from a PD bowl. I thought I'd never get through with it. You'll also get a large number of hits from other fixed temp vapes like the iolite. The proof is in the use of various vapes and various temps. You can't prove it with a forum post.

From your edited post-
i really think you don't know the right weight of what your vaporizing.
As you can see from the first part of my post, none of us do, on a particular bowl. Saying a 'pinch' is .05g is what we used to call the 'SWAG' method- scientific wild assed guess. ;)

max,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Just for all of you to know, my previous measurements were done with a 0,01 My weight scale which I believe is quite accurate!
But you are right Max, saying we are dealing with so little weights we cannot "generalize". My point was just to say there are ways to "improve" the "efficiency" of 7th floor's vapos through customizing;)

FLskwat,
Reactions: vorrange

TwztedVaper

Boom Shankar
Oops, I meant to mention in my earlier post but I forgot.. was hitting a bowl on the DBV while typing so I guess my thoughts wandered :lol: anyway what I meant to add was that the 10 hits were "nice" as in I could feel them and there was vapour upon exhaling even after holding the hit in for about 10 seconds, but after the first 3-4 hits there was no real herb flavour, and towards the end there is usually the typical burnt popcorn taste.

And yes, I agree that there are far too many variables to consider here, but my point is given similar quality of herb and the same DB, almost everyone should be able to get about 10 good hits off a tiny amount. I am saying 10 and not 15 coz I realize 15 is a bit exaggerated and even I don't get 15 rips off EVERY bowl, but it definitely isn't out of the ordinary, so I said 10+ to be on the safe side because it is hard to give a concrete number out of laboratory settings.

Oh, and the scale I have measures to 2 decimal places, so when it says 0.05-0.06g I'm going to believe it's true.

@max the post you quoted isn't mine lol :rolleyes:

TwztedVaper,

sunsett70

i don't have any sophisticated measuring equipment and this is not a scientific test, just my observation on using my unit. when i pack about 1/4 of the normal bowl, i get about 10 hits. thing is, when i pack my arizer dome screen dbv wand, i use only about 30-40% of the 1/4 bowl and i also get 10 hits* (subjective, depends on person), good hits that really zones me out (and i use brick herb). less seems to be more, i don't know why (actually, i'm just happy with the result and couldn't be bothered). anyway, i haven't really used the normal dbv bowl ever since i got the dome screen attachment. the dome screen really ups the efficiency stakes for the dbv and allows me to use just a dash to get to me desired level. i tried using even less that this when i don't want to get too high, just buzzed.

yeah, like FLskwat and some others, we find that the dbv allows for easy mods that really ups the efficiency factor for the unit. i used to mix tobacco with mj for my joints last time to conserve but now i don't even think about reusing my avb or cleaning my wand to get the hash because i am using so little (plus, i prefer clean wands). these days, i only use the normal dbv bowl when i have friends around or when i mix 'the herb' with other herbs.

SUMMARY of the arizer dome screen mod (thank you to other mod users for contribution):
this mod for the dbv/ssv is not for everyone, some just prefer the normal style hits. of course, you can load your ssv/dbv normal bowl and take a bit, save the rest for later but it's just more fun finishing the bowl! So for those who wanna mod their dbv with the dome screen and encounter issues, please remember that there is a learning curve as well, just need some fine tuning.

issues:

1. Much easier to combust as the herb is closer to the heater - if you use normal temp like a normal wand, it will turn black/combust real fast as it is now much closer to the heater. please try vaping at lower temps. i vape using the dome screen at minimum temp, just above the opening 'click' of my dbv. you may want to slightly increase temp after a few hits.

2. The Dome screen can easily become stuck in the end of the female GG connection. Fixing this is a pain. -

for the dbv: yes, you have to use it hands free + lightly, don't push the wand in too tight (no hands free, no forcing into the hc). And the steel mesh is somewhat 'flexible' so the dome screen gets looser after a few times of inserting/removing from the wand and easier for it to get stuck in the hc. Just 'tighten' it when it is in the wand by pressing the inside of the steel mesh of the dome screen 'outwards'. this clamps the screen tighter to the wand, and will minimise chances of it getting stuck in the hc. even then, sometimes when i am high i forget and jam the damn thing up the hc!

for the ssv, pre shape the dome screen to fit the wand firmly, and only do this on standard wand! according to FLskwat, the dome screen fits even better with the SSV (edge to edge with the wand, no "separation") than the dbv (though it still works good with the dbv). Check posts #1442 to #1446 for the ssv (picture there):
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=3&p=58

3. packing the bowl and stirring - pack enough to cover the screen, not too much and because you are using so little herb you can pack it tight like a pancake! So, no worries about herb spilling (or even if you don't fill the whole of the screen because it is so close to the heater). and i stir once every 4 hits. so with about 8-9 hits* i stir maybe once/twice every session. stir slowly n carefully cause 1-2 pieces of herb falling out could mean 10-20% less of dome bowl load.

note that Flskwat commented somewhere "don't pack the dome screen too tight or too full, and as always with the ssv, inhale fast/hard while constantly moving the wand". no need to pack full, less is more in this case! i got no issue with the packing tight though, please try either way.

4. good for sharing between 2 people? not really, in my opinion the dome screen mod is best used solo. comparatively, 1 normal load is maybe about 3-4 dome screen loads.

5. pricing - i have seen it sold for between usd5-9 for 2 dome screens. the screen quality is good so it will last quite awhile. http://www.vaporizerkits.com/products/Arizer-Mesh-Screen-Pack.html

here are some pics where i load about 20-25% of the arizer dome on my dbv and i think you can get about 8-10 hits* depending on how a person pulls. my unit turns on at about 7.40 so i just leave it at about 8-8.30 for the whole session. pack the herb tight like a pancake and depending on preference, stir every hit or my choice now is to stir every 3-4 hits. experiment and try for yourself.

* after using the dbv for some months now, my preferred hits are much longer so i average maybe 4-6 hits instead. note that the number of hits is very subjective and depends on the breathe & hitting technique of the individual.

how much i put into the arizer dome screen

the avb

Last edited by a moderator:
sunsett70,

cluffy

Vaker
Wow, first time I've seen the arizer dome screen. Looks awesome but I'm still happy w/ my mini whip and ssv type hc cover for the DBV. Sad they don't make the custom HC's anymore. I refrained from commenting on the 15 hit post, but I can see it. I probably average 12 hits on a mini whip.

cluffy,

fudpucker

AgentofChaos said:
fudpucker said:
I use a coffee grinder to grind my stuff for the MFLB, as it appears finer=better for that magic little box. But what is the proper grind for Da Buddha? Should it not be as fine a grind?
It's not recommended to grind that fine for the DB, if you own a regular grinder I would use that or invest in one. I have used ground bud for my MFLB with my DB before and almost burnt it after the second hit.

Thanks, I got a metal grinder from Vapeworld (Chris is da bomb!) when they sent me my DB. Not exactly sure the right way to use it, though, since I've always just used the coffee grinder, but sounds like I need to learn how!

Just out of curiosity - I'd assumed the finer the grind, the more the surface area and thus the more vape you'd get. Why is a coarser grind better in DB and the fine one better in the MFLB?

Thanks!

fudpucker,

lwien

Wow. Great pics, sunsett. 10 hits from that small amount is insane. Can one purchase just that dome screen by itself?

lwien,

OC513

Dabaholic
lwien said:
Wow. Great pics, sunsett. 10 hits from that small amount is insane. Can one purchase just that dome screen by itself?
yes....they can be found online.....arizer screen packs. They come with 2 dome screens and 2 regular screens.....can be found for $5

OC513,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
OC513 said:
lwien said:
yes....they can be found online.....arizer screen packs. They come with 2 dome screens and 2 regular screens.....can be found for $5

+1, and the quality of these screens is very impressive! (Compared to many screens out there...). In the SSV the fit is even better then on the DBV picture (edge to edge)... and the angle of the heater cover is better for that mod, but that's not the subject...

Just wanted to say (as discussed with Sunsett) that the mini-whips from VB is the "middle" best custom mod.
Why? the dome screen is great but the mini-whip is easier to stir and you will pack very very little more then with the dome. So that's when the ratio efficiency/easiness to use is the highest IMO!

Another good thing about both solutions: if you have multiple strains, different hashes, bubble, kieff, qwiso etc... then, as I do, you can just switch from dome to dome or from mini whip to mini whip (5x pack online)!
If you have friends at home coming with their stuff..."here's your personal whip/screen, enjoy!" So really USER FRIENDLY!;)

FLskwat,

cluffy

Vaker
I agree, mini whip is the way to go. Too bad they're back ordered, I only have the one. I got an email saying they'd be in stock "early next year" on Dec. 16th.

FLskwat, do you have the ssv type HC? If not I recommend trying to get one made if you know a glass blower, friggin' 7th floor won't make them anymore. :-( I'm praying that mine never breaks...

cluffy,

sunsett70

@lwien - yeah, like oc513 said, u can get it online and the quality is very sturdy too. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OEM-EXTREME-ARIZER-VAPORIZER-Screen-Set-Pack-/350226276775 but anybody using the dome screen take note to set the temp at lowest and don't push the wand in too tight (no hands free) otherwise the dome screen may get stuck in the hc!

@FLskwat - the vb mini whip is on backorder (ahhhhh.......) for the longest time . so, in the meantime the dome screen is a viable alternative mod. for usd5, it works great too! but you are using the vb mini whip with a ssv.

anybody using the miniwhip with a dbv hc able to comment on the use? or know of any glass blowers who can produce a ssv type HC for the dbv?

sunsett70,
Top Bottom