Gear D-nail thread

biohacker

Wow, DISTILLED water cleans my SiC halo BETTER than 99% ISO??

Left the entire nail/base in ISO overnight.... ISO changed colour slightly, did my q-tip routine, and it still didn't look like when I used distilled water.

Swapped out the ISO for distilled water, and within minutes the colour changed, and I took q-tip to the halo and black shit just melted off as usual.

Finished it off with a sizzle to 900 for a bit, and it's essentially like brand new now! (not sure how long the coil will last with my "damp" cleanup starts though :lol:)

Since switching to extracts exclusively I haven't even had to use ISO to clean my glass tools, only HOT water.

So in the end I won't be going through ISO anymore....just q-tips! :D

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Wow, DISTILLED water cleans my SiC halo BETTER than 99% ISO??

Left the entire nail/base in ISO overnight.... ISO changed colour slightly, did my q-tip routine, and it still didn't look like when I used distilled water.

Swapped out the ISO for distilled water, and within minutes the colour changed, and I took q-tip to the halo and black shit just melted off as usual.

Finished it off with a sizzle to 900 for a bit, and it's essentially like brand new now! (not sure how long the coil will last with my "damp" cleanup starts though :lol:)

Since switching to extracts exclusively I haven't even had to use ISO to clean my glass tools, only HOT water.

So in the end I won't be going through ISO anymore....just q-tips! :D

Yup, been saying it forever, room temp distilled is crazy effective, works on SIC, quartz and saph IME but its damn near magic for the SIC Halo, the residue peels off like dead skin.

The very rare times just the water wasn't enough, a bit of baking soda and a few drops of distilled has fixed it right up, just brush it like teeth

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Distilled is a miracle cleaner, it's chemically hungry for inorganic minerals which is why it works so well. Works great on Ti too.

I keep a little dropper vial with it so I can just squirt a drop or two on my bucket. I use it on my opaque Quartz with a whole dropper full and set the enail to 400-450F or so to let it self clean.

mixchu69

So do u guys just drop your cold SIC inserts into distilled water to get them clean (i am currently doing the iso and torching dance). Or do u guys leave your nail on at 200 F and let the distilled water boil? I hate using ISO, especially inhaling the fume and would love to try this distilled water clean.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
So do u guys just drop your cold SIC inserts into distilled water to get them clean (i am currently doing the iso and torching dance). Or do u guys leave your nail on at 200 F and let the distilled water boil? I hate using ISO, especially inhaling the fume and would love to try this distilled water clean.

I just drop it straight in with the insert and water room temp.

biohacker

I don't even disassemble... I just unplug the XLR connection, and plop the entire thing in room temp distilled water (small glass jar), and can even start qtip swabbing right off the bat and it always amazes me how much black crud comes off (when i'm using rosin). Obviously distillates and winterized shatters will dab cleaner.

I also crank up the PID to 900 and give it some time and then brush off the residue. But i've never added water to a warm halo unless it's a soaked qtip. I've never torched it yet, but plan to for outdoors/portability at some point.

It's been nice dropping ISO! Those fumes make me sick as well! And it's not so great to get on your skin either. Very happy trading in my ISO for qtips! Although I must admit, I still LOVE the convenience of the little 70% ISO "wipes" packets.

Likes2vape

I have been cleaning my halo with just water for quite a while now. I clean it with it on and hot. I have the NV wraparound head with coil cover so water doesn’t ever touch the coil.

I just squirt some water in the halo and qtip. The first spray boils off rapidly but subsequent sprays you can qtip dry. I usually spray and qtip 3-4 times before the qtip starts coming out clean. Works great!!

biohacker

I've been using the $15 one from tag for years and love it. It fits theirs and d-nail's sic halo perfectly.

https://www.thickassglass.com/collections/dabbers-carb-caps/products/3-titanium-carb-cap

https://www.thickassglass.com/colle...ucts/tag-4-universal-titanium-carb-cap-dabber

These? And have you tried the official d-nail v2 cap? Just curious, since i've seen it repeated on the internetz a few times, that the d-nail cap is the only cap worth using. Not doubting, just curious because if it works as good as my d-nail cap, i'll be picking one up too.

The high5 cap and NV vRod cap may be decent alternatives as well.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
https://www.thickassglass.com/collections/dabbers-carb-caps/products/3-titanium-carb-cap

https://www.thickassglass.com/colle...ucts/tag-4-universal-titanium-carb-cap-dabber

These? And have you tried the official d-nail v2 cap? Just curious, since i've seen it repeated on the internetz a few times, that the d-nail cap is the only cap worth using. Not doubting, just curious because if it works as good as my d-nail cap, i'll be picking one up too.

The high5 cap and NV vRod cap may be decent alternatives as well.
It's been a long time and I don't have mine with me, but I believe it's this one:
https://www.thickassglass.com/produ...carb-cap-dabber-with-ball-point-22-28-5mm-dia

That one is 28.5mm big to fit the d-nail halo too which I think is 28mm?

And no I haven't used the d-nail one, I should of said that in my post. I got a tag nail and sic dish first, then when I switched to a d-nail dish and body the cap fit perfectly so I never bought the d-nail one. I don't think the tag dabber end is as good, but I like to dab and cap with separate hands so I don't use what's on the dabber anyways.

I would actually love to hear someone's opinion who's tried both, I love d-nail stuff and wouldn't mind an excuse to get it.

Edit: It's not in the pic, but the tag one comes with a ballpoint dabber.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
It's been a long time and I don't have mine with me, but I believe it's this one:
https://www.thickassglass.com/produ...carb-cap-dabber-with-ball-point-22-28-5mm-dia

And no I haven't used the d-nail one, I should of said that in my post. I got a tag nail and sic dish first, then when I switched to a d-nail dish and body the cap fit perfectly so I never bought the d-nail one. I don't think the tag dabber end is as good, but I like to dab and cap with separate hands so I don't use what's on the dabber anyways.

I would actually love to hear someone's opinion who's tried both, I love d-nail stuff and wouldn't mind an excuse to get it.

It looks like that dabbers actual cap is a pretty close knock off of the dnail v2, similar internal dome space and levels for sealing, the only thing Id question is with 2 holes it might be too much air but for <$20 it looks definitely worth a try.

As an aside, the CCA Tsunami cap works very well with the Dnail Halos, although the v2 is still, IMO, better.....there are a couple for sale in the classifieds on the cheap.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
While there's carb cap talk going on, anybody care to share they're cleaning regiment for the DNail carb cap? Many more areas to get dirty compared to my Errlectric vortex cap that I used with my old setup. Appreciate any thoughts.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
The Dnail carb cap has a lip that fits inside your halo so that it does not fall of so easy when capped. This is huge for me. No other carb cap seems to stay on the halo when handing to the next guy or during a coughing fit where I am still holding my rig in hand with the cap still on the halo. I admit I could probably get by without but after having that feature I can't stand any other carb cap for the halo.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
While there's carb cap talk going on, anybody care to share they're cleaning regiment for the DNail carb cap? Many more areas to get dirty compared to my Errlectric vortex cap that I used with my old setup. Appreciate any thoughts.

I used steel wool and simple green, got it nice and shiny again. Micro scratches but I think there were some to begin with, so beware if that is a concern.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum

I leave the cap on the hot nail till its nice n toasty then just wipe everything off with pointed qtips, most everything slides right off when its hot, if there is something really stubborn I just torch it till its blazing red hot and let it sit....has resulted in some pretty colored caps

Likes2vape

I started out with the tag one linked above for my dnail sic dish. I later purchased the dnail carb v2 carb cap with forked dabber. The dnail cap was a huuuuugee upgrade over the tag cap. I wish I had never even bought the tag one it was such a difference in performance. Seriously do yourself a favor and get the cap and forked dabber. It stays on the dish no problem, doesn’t drop your temps near as much, fits like it was meant to be there and the forked dabber is the bees knees as well. It stays cleaner with less waste on the dabber and the dabs melt off of it easier.

I was being cheap when I bought my slim base and sic dish and I kick myself in the ass everytime I think about it. I used the tag cap for almost two years before getting the dnail cap and it felt like a whole new dabbing experience once I got the dnail cap.

I am interested in trying the NV vrod carb cap and would like to hear from someone who has tried both the dnail cap and the vrod cap. I laugh at the people complaining about the price of the vrod carb cap, dnail is almost double that and worth every penny imo.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician

I've used the TAG SiC dish and TAG carb cap. I have tried the TAG carb cap on my D nail SiC Halo. It works, but it doesn't seal as well, and it's cumbersome. The owner of the TAG cap liked using it with the ballpoint dabber threaded into the side. So it is a major PITA to hold evenly, set, and seal compared to the D nail carb cap which has a 'lip' on the inside that makes it extremely easy to center and seat on the dish. It also promotes a better seal then the TAG carb cap. I found the TAG cap to be unnecessarily cumbersome each and every time I used it. Why design a carb cap to be held at a point that is not its center of gravity??? The D nail cap can be dangled from the handle and gravity points it in the direction it needs to go meet the dish. The TAG dish is harder to use than that. Why???

-----

@Likes2vape I have a D-Nail 20mm barrel coil. It only has 'four' wraps but it is 17mm tall. Think it would work with the Vrod? What's the advantage of the V-Rod over the non Showerhead "multi dish"? I have never used any of the Flowerpot products so I don't know the difference besides NV telling me the "Flowerpot w/Multi-Dish" is intended for oil and the Flowerpot with Showerhead is 'flower-focused'. Is the V-rod more 'flower focused' than the Multi-dish?

Last edited:

Likes2vape

I've used the TAG SiC dish and TAG carb cap. I have tried the TAG carb cap on my D nail SiC Halo. It works, but it doesn't seal as well, and it's cumbersome. The owner of the TAG cap liked using it with the ballpoint dabber threaded into the side. So it is a major PITA to hold evenly, set, and seal compared to the D nail carb cap which has a 'lip' on the inside that makes it extremely easy to center and seat on the dish. It also promotes a better seal then the TAG carb cap. I found the TAG cap to be unnecessarily cumbersome each and every time I used it. Why design a carb cap to be held at a point that is not its center of gravity??? The D nail cap can be dangled from the handle and gravity points it in the direction it needs to go meet the dish. The TAG dish is harder to use than that. Why???

-----

@Likes2vape I have a D-Nail 20mm barrel coil. It only has 'four' wraps but it is 17mm tall. Think it would work with the Vrod? What's the advantage of the V-Rod over the non Showerhead "multi dish"? I have never used any of the Flowerpot products so I don't know the difference besides NV telling me the "Flowerpot w/Multi-Dish" is intended for oil and the Flowerpot with Showerhead is 'flower-focused'. Is the V-rod more 'flower focused' than the Multi-dish?

The Vrod is brand spanking new. @Justpassedu is only forum member that has one. Afaik If the coil wraps in a clockwise direction and is 17mm tall it should work but it is really designed to work with the NewVape coil.

Before the vrod there was the wraparound head for the halos and the showerhead with a giant ti dish built in. The showerhead has wide open airflow like nothing is there. It has 20 holes drilled through the center of it. It vapes flowers like no other because of the massive amount of heated air being pulled through the holes. No carb cap required for vaping flowers but some breath control is. If you don’t mind dabbing from ti it works well for dabbing or twaxing.

The wraparound head has a center post the halos go over. There are 5 holes drilled through the center post. While it is still wide open airflow after using the showerhead you realize it is restricted slightly. It works great at vaping flower but you pretty much have to use a carb cap when you do. Because you can use a SiC dish some people including myself prefer it.

The top part of vrod head has one big hole down the center post and the bottom of the head has the same 20 hole design as the showerhead. You now have the wide open airflow of the showerhead no carb cap required for vaping flower and you get to use a sic dish for dabbing or twaxing. Way better than dabbing of ti imo!!

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
I totally agree with the threading not being in the center weird, I hadn't really noticed that before.

The Dnail carb cap has a lip that fits inside your halo so that it does not fall of so easy when capped. This is huge for me. No other carb cap seems to stay on the halo when handing to the next guy or during a coughing fit where I am still holding my rig in hand with the cap still on the halo. I admit I could probably get by without but after having that feature I can't stand any other carb cap for the halo.
Ah I get what people are saying about the lip now, it's on the inside of d-nail one and on the outside of the tag one. I just went to the site and looked at the picture zoomed in, I wasn't understanding why people brought that up when the tag cap had one too.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Speaking of Vrod with SiC halo, can anyone that has one that also has a slim series base do a comparison? I imagine there would be a difference with the Vrod having a lot of extra Ti + bowl.. Also curious about the Vrod cap vs the dnail..

That would be a great test! I would assume that even though there is a lot more Ti on the VROD, most of it is not in the airpath. It's mostly added thermal mass which should mean increased temperature stability, possibly less reclaim too. Probably a con for uptemps though, and probably will take longer to heat up than a slim series. The Ti bowl should be pretty much on par with the Ti bases on the slim series.

Top Bottom