Custom Glass Ideas/Designs Thread

BoogerMan

Let's make this happen. Which glass blowers in China are good to commincate with?

@BoogerMan

Something like this http://m.imgur.com/hYsdE40

I think that piece is already in the works. It is one of the Mothership designs IIRC.

So if that one is already being made maybe we can work on getting the egg klein as one of the next designs (if Steven's glass blowers can make eggs)…

BoogerMan,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

BoogerMan

Who has it in the works?
I think @blankrider. Ill look for the post way back.

Here is the post I was referring to. It's and incycler, not a klein, but still similar to what you want with the donut perc :D

Attention my friends. I have pointed out that even though we are a small amount of glass sales in a whole that we bring a lot of other sales in the long run. We are helping advance the Chinese glass market years in a matter of weeks. In return I managed to get us all 5% discounts on this already amazing priced glass. When it is all worked out the coupon code should be FCLOVE in honor of us. You're welcome

also coming soon...
other_951960313_00.jpg

BoogerMan,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

grdwaste

Glass Psycho
Last edited by a moderator:

BoogerMan

That's not a Klein though.

Here's a water vid of my idea. https://vid.me/HzWF

Yeah the one I posted is not a klein it's an incycler like I stated.

It looks like the klein is going to be the one we are getting. I think the incycler may have been forgotten or replaced with the klein design.

I guess we shall see which one we get soon enough :tup::rockon::clap:

Thanks @mestizo. I do remember seeing that. Wish the function vid was longer so we could see how it pulls and not just the drain lol...

mestizo

Yeah the one I posted is not a klein it's an incycler like I stated.

It looks like the klein is going to be the one we are getting. I think the incycler may have been forgotten or replaced with the klein design.

I guess we shall see which one we get soon enough :tup::rockon::clap:

Thanks @mestizo. I do remember seeing that. Wish the function vid was longer so we could see how it pulls and not just the drain lol...
Yeah, I wish the video was longer.
Maybe @blankrider can request one.

EverythingsHazy

By the way, steven has been notified about making the pillars a little longer longer, and adding a little room between the matrix perc's top, and the bottom of the pillars, for there to be more bubble room, as some of you guys suggested. He said he was going to increase the height of the "down section" so I'm not exactly sure which part that is referring to, but something is getting changed. I also spoke with him about making a smallish first batch, so if anything needs to be fixed or updated, it can be done soon for the second batch.

BoogerMan

By the way, steven has been notified about making the pillars a little longer longer, and adding a little room between the matrix perc's top, and the bottom of the pillars, for there to be more bubble room, as some of you guys suggested. He said he was going to increase the height of the "down section" so I'm not exactly sure which part that is referring to, but something is getting changed. I also spoke with him about making a smallish first batch, so if anything needs to be fixed or updated, it can be done soon for the second batch.

Glad to hear the pillars are getting adjusted and more room is being added above the matrix perc.

Do you think many people will buy the first batch knowing that the first batch MAY not be perfectly functional? I think most will wait for the second batch :2c:

Wouldn't it be better to just perfect this before releasing the first batch?

I know communication with DHgate sellers can be very difficult. Luckily Steven speaks fairly good English which helps make it easier. Maybe just ask what he meant by "down section". I'm sure he would explain it or ask him to use a picture to show you what he meant. I'm not saying what he is going to do is going to be a bad thing, but we definitely don't want to do anything unnecessary and make backwards progress :rofl:

EverythingsHazy

Glad to hear the pillars are getting adjusted and more room is being added above the matrix perc.

Do you think many people will buy the first batch knowing that the first batch MAY not be perfectly functional? I think most will wait for the second batch :2c:

Wouldn't it be better to just perfect this before releasing the first batch?

I know communication with DHgate sellers can be very difficult. Luckily Steven speaks fairly good English which helps make it easier. Maybe just ask what he meant by "down section". I'm sure he would explain it or ask him to use a picture to show you what he meant. I'm not saying what he is going to do is going to be a bad thing, but we definitely don't want to do anything unnecessary and make backwards progress :rofl:

Yea, I asked for clarification there to prevent having to fix a step backwards lol.

Also, of course it would be best to perfect it before release, and that is the intention, but as with everything that comes out, there is always a chance that something can be improved, even if it isn't a "problem" in the original.

However, that isn't the only reason for a first small batch. Instead of advising him to make a ton of them and then them not selling to his expectations, and making him less satisfied, making a good, but not excessive first batch, will give him a good idea of how the product works for him and his business.

Erwin

Ok, I've got some things to say here for the sake of the stability of this thread. I do not intend to call anyone out or cause further chaos, I simply want to ensure that we maintain positive relationships with each other and the Chinese glassblowers we are working with so that we can continue designing glass successfully as we have been doing. @Stu: I do not want to perpetuate a public argument here any more than anyone else, and I certainly don't want to violate any FC rules in the process, but legitimate conflict has arisen in a community that is working to produce something together, and this conflict could be detrimental to the overall health of this thread. I really do feel that it needs to be addressed before it snowballs. Please let me know if anything in the following paragraphs feels out of place to you, and I will respectfully address it.

My biggest concern at this point is that it would appear that we only have one glassblower on our side, and we're running the risk of alienating him. So far, he has just unveiled his second FC-suggested design, and it is selling well (I believe), as the first one obviously has. If sales continue to be successful he and other vendors will remain and become open to our designs, but if these designs fail then Steven will no longer be interested in listening to us. If we hand Steven pieces that don't perform and don't sell and he takes a loss because of it, he (and consequently others) will stop taking our suggestions, and all the time, energy, and amazing ideas that are contained in these past 29 pages will become useless and a tragic waste.

This is why I think there's legitimate concern to be had regarding a bunch of random individuals contacting glassblowers with whom FC has already built a relationship, and presenting them with designs that aren't yet proven to be functional, especially when it is despite the concerns and warnings of many on this thread and in this community that such a design is flawed. If we had a number of glassblowers signed on and producing things for us then there might be more of a margin for error, but as it stands it would appear we've just got Steven.

So, I ask: has anyone else made successful contact with ANY other vendor? @EverythingsHazy keeps saying it's so easy to do, but if no one else has been successful (EverythingsHazy included) in opening a dialogue with anyone else, than the fact remains that this relationship we have with Steven is our current lifeline, and a critical connection which needs to be handled with the utmost care.

The purpose of this thread, as I have understood it this whole time, is to utilize the combined knowledge of a large pool of seasoned glass-users so that we can come up with functional and successful designs. This serves to ensure the success of the designs that make it to production, as is any collaborative process.

I, for one, will sadly NOT be purchasing the first round of the so-called "FC-186," as I had intended to do, because I feel pretty confident that it will not function as intended. Many others here would appear to agree with me. I find it saddening and concerning that the knowledge and input of everyone here is being so blatantly ignored by a single individual who is acting from, it would appear, his own ego, and not the good of the whole. Especially when such actions have the potential to undo the one functional relationship we have so far built with an active Chinese glassblower.

Also, @EverythingsHazy, I have to agree with those who stated above me that this piece should NOT be called the "FC-186." It was not designed by those of us at Fuck Combustion. It was in fact designed DESPITE us. The FU-186, maybe, or as others suggested the EH-186, but given the apparent popular opinion on your design by those of us on this thread, I think you have no more right to call it an "FC-anything" than you do to call it a Sovereignty.

vjt324

We cannot, I repeat, we cannotttttt fuck this up. There are way to many amazing pieces to knockoff!!!!!! And Not having an input on the functionality of these knockoffs is detrimental to the overall quality of them. Let's get this shit together fellas. put ur cocks away and let's just get along lol.

EverythingsHazy

Steven was notified of the little glass ring a few of you have been using to diminish the awesomeness of the FC-186 Matrix Pillar. It is not even a given that his guys can make that. For anyone who just can't handle having the pillars work the way they did in the very cool water test video (of a piece that is on track to be a best seller for Steven, start crossing your fingers that he says it's doable, and despite the rudeness, I'll see if he can make a prototype for a second version of the FC-186 since unlike those who are ruining the thread by complaining about their little preferences, I want to actually see which way the piece can be made, that it works the best. I am not looking to make identical clones of aqualab pieces. With or without a logo, an identical clone, is a counterfeit and gives bad looks to this forum. Whoever wants to have input, learn photoshop, sign up on dhgate, and get something done to show everyone.

The reason I ignored some of your posts in regards to the seller is because I wanted to make sure nobody selfishly sabotaged the making of the FC-186 out of pride, and wanted to have a working piece to show you guys. Regardless tho, the only thing anyone here should be thinking about, is being extremely happy they are going to get a piece for arund $55 bucks, that is similar to a $1000 design. So what if you didn't get your way in it? Don't buy it. Everyone doesn't buy every piece. A ton of people will buy the FC-186 regardless of what anyone says tho.

Either way, like I said, people think it looks cool, and it is going to sell well whether or not everyone in this thread likes it. And most do...
I love the way the uncapped pillars look without the disc on top. It's like a fountain bong. That's awesome. Like that, the thing will be a great conversation starter when used socially.

Of course it's not going to function like the real thing without the disc. That should go without saying. At this point, however, I'm strongly curious to find out what it hits like without the disc like that. If the hits are comparable in quality to that out of the real thing, then I say leave it without the disc. I think it'd be more awesome to have something unique than a more straight copy if the unique design actually delivers just as nice of hits as a straight copy. Just my two cents. I can understand the merits of a more straight copy as well, and a more straight copy might sell better.

As far as I see it, this post doesn't violate any rules. Any post, including the above post by @Erwin, that are insulting and/or petty, will be reported.

Last edited:
EverythingsHazy,

mestizo

Ok, I've got some things to say here for the sake of the stability of this thread. I do not intend to call anyone out or cause further chaos, I simply want to ensure that we maintain positive relationships with each other and the Chinese glassblowers we are working with so that we can continue designing glass successfully as we have been doing. @Stu: I do not want to perpetuate a public argument here any more than anyone else, and I certainly don't want to violate any FC rules in the process, but legitimate conflict has arisen in a community that is working to produce something together, and this conflict could be detrimental to the overall health of this thread. I really do feel that it needs to be addressed before it snowballs. Please let me know if anything in the following paragraphs feels out of place to you, and I will respectfully address it.

My biggest concern at this point is that it would appear that we only have one glassblower on our side, and we're running the risk of alienating him. So far, he has just unveiled his second FC-suggested design, and it is selling well (I believe), as the first one obviously has. If sales continue to be successful he and other vendors will remain and become open to our designs, but if these designs fail then Steven will no longer be interested in listening to us. If we hand Steven pieces that don't perform and don't sell and he takes a loss because of it, he (and consequently others) will stop taking our suggestions, and all the time, energy, and amazing ideas that are contained in these past 29 pages will become useless and a tragic waste.

This is why I think there's legitimate concern to be had regarding a bunch of random individuals contacting glassblowers with whom FC has already built a relationship, and presenting them with designs that aren't yet proven to be functional, especially when it is despite the concerns and warnings of many on this thread and in this community that such a design is flawed. If we had a number of glassblowers signed on and producing things for us then there might be more of a margin for error, but as it stands it would appear we've just got Steven.

So, I ask: has anyone else made successful contact with ANY other vendor? @EverythingsHazy keeps saying it's so easy to do, but if no one else has been successful (EverythingsHazy included) in opening a dialogue with anyone else, than the fact remains that this relationship we have with Steven is our current lifeline, and a critical connection which needs to be handled with the utmost care.

The purpose of this thread, as I have understood it this whole time, is to utilize the combined knowledge of a large pool of seasoned glass-users so that we can come up with functional and successful designs. This serves to ensure the success of the designs that make it to production, as is any collaborative process.

I, for one, will sadly NOT be purchasing the first round of the so-called "FC-186," as I had intended to do, because I feel pretty confident that it will not function as intended. Many others here would appear to agree with me. I find it saddening and concerning that the knowledge and input of everyone here is being so blatantly ignored by a single individual who is acting from, it would appear, his own ego, and not the good of the whole. Especially when such actions have the potential to undo the one functional relationship we have so far built with an active Chinese glassblower.

Also, @EverythingsHazy, I have to agree with those who stated above me that this piece should NOT be called the "FC-186." It was not designed by those of us at Fuck Combustion. It was in fact designed DESPITE us. The FU-186, maybe, or as others suggested the EH-186, but given the apparent popular opinion on your design by those of us on this thread, I think you have no more right to call it an "FC-anything" than you do to call it a Sovereignty.
I won't be ordering the FC 186 because it doesn't seem to function like the one by Sovereignty, I confess I don't know how he does it, but they don't function the same.
And I agree wholeheartedly with what you have stated in your post, I find a lot of wisdom in it to keep this thread going.

EverythingsHazy

I'm surprised nobody complained about that little glass disk back when the mini-pillar was shown. Not only did it lack the same exact thing, it also had a piece on top that sucked in water from the upward shooting jets, which was a design flaw fixed in the fc-186.

Last edited:

Anony Moose

Er, meant to post this in this thread. I love the way the uncapped pillars look without the disc on top. It's like a fountain bong. That's awesome. Like that, the thing will be a great conversation starter when used socially.

Of course it's not going to function like the real thing without the disc. That should go without saying. At this point, however, I'm strongly curious to find out what it hits like without the disc like that. If the hits are comparable in quality to that out of the real thing, then I say leave it without the disc. I think it'd be more awesome to have something unique than a more straight copy if the unique design actually delivers just as nice of hits as a straight copy. Just my two cents. I can understand the merits of a more straight copy as well, and a more straight copy might sell better.

EverythingsHazy

Er, meant to post this in this thread. I love the way the uncapped pillars look without the disc on top. It's like a fountain bong. That's awesome. Like that, the thing will be a great conversation starter when used socially.

LOL I saw that, and I edited a quote of it into my previous post. :lol:

EverythingsHazy,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
For reference so we can do a better side by side comparison.

Skip to :41

I think the droop where all the pillars connect together to the top chamber has a bigger impact than the glass ring. It makes a mini chamber for the water to gather. Steven's piece is flat.

Maybe that's what the ring is for, keeps water inside the chamber instead of rolling out along the edges.

EverythingsHazy

For reference so we can do a better side by side comparison.

Skip to :41

I think the droop where all the pillars connect together to the top chamber has a bigger impact than the glass ring. It makes a mini chamber for the water to gather. Steven's piece is flat.

Maybe that's what the ring is for, keeps water inside the chamber instead of rolling out along the edges.

If you look closely at the sovereignty pillar perc, the pillars are all curve slightly inward at the top, which probably causes their individual jets to crash and merge in that little dropdown section. That is probably going to be very difficult to perfect without precise measurements and expert glasswork. If they could manage, I'd be even more impressed than I already am.

Personally, I think the fountain type pillar setup would hit very well seeing how it looked when he blocked the intake holes, and I'm sure people are going to buy and love it anyway. Those who need that extra piece, may have to spend upwards of $500 to get any legitimate pillar, let alone one with a matrix and 8 arm pillar combo. For $55 bucks, people are getting wayyyy too petty. Had this been done in private, and everyone just found the piece for themselves on dhgate, it would be a best seller on here for sure.

Erwin

Steven was notified of the little glass ring a few of you have been using to diminish the awesomeness of the FC-186 Matrix Pillar. It is not even a given that his guys can make that.
That's ridiculous. If he can replicate a functional matrix perc, pillar perc and diffusion pump in their entirety, there's absolutely no reason it would be in any way difficult to add such a simple glass ring.

I'm surprised nobody complained about that little glass disk back when the mini-pillar was shown. Not only did it lack the same exact thing, it also had a piece on top that sucked in water from the upward shooting jets, which was a design flaw fixed in the fc-186.
You are correct. The mini pillar should also have this ring. The original one does, as do all functional pillar percs currently in production.
Bjqxq3h.jpg

2hOflYP.jpg

crxZ8Rc.jpg

I should also point out that your original "design" also included said ring, back in the very first post of this thread.
I decided to make a new thread for discussing concept glass designs that can possibly be put into production by some of our friends overseas, without cloging up the cheap bubbler thread. Our fellow forum member @blankrider was able to make the FC-187 happen already, so hopefully more can be done in the future.

Ideas, reviews, and comments are all welcome :)

First piece is a Matrix Pillar:

ScreenShot2014-12-09at85621PM_zpsef5338b3.png

The one other existing pillar clone we've found also has it:
mrWMx6Y.jpg

Personally, I think the fountain type pillar setup would hit very well seeing how it looked when he blocked the intake holes, and I'm sure people are going to buy and love it anyway.
I'm not sure why you're assuming you know more about the function of this perc than an entire industry. I've never seen a pillar without this ring, despite how cool it looks. Are you really saying that everyone else who makes these, with their livelihoods depending on it, is wasting their time and money by adding this rather simple ring, which reduces the pieces aesthetic, for no reason? And that you "thinking it looks cool" negates everyone and everything else?

I can only hope (and assume) that when the mini pillar gets closer to production, @blankrider will be more open to working with others than you are, and interested in designing a piece that actually works. When that one comes, maybe I'll actually spend my money on it.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The inherent problem with this thread seems to me to be trying to serve two separate functions.

A. The OP @EverythingsHazy is seeking collaborative forum advice on concept pieces that he would like to then take to Chinese blowers as proposed new products.

B. Members fear that having too many cooks in the kitchen will mess up the relationship that @blankrider has already made with Steven, but are also actively proposing ideas for new pieces that a consensus of people would like to see made.

I think the only reasonable way to deal with this conflict is to have a separate thread for each person that wants to work with an overseas glassblower. So basically if @blankrider would like forum advice on new glass ideas for him to bring to Steven (or any other blower for that matter), a dedicated thread would be a better way to go. That way any posts in this thread are to share ideas, designs and criticisms to proposals that @EverythingsHazy is working toward.

We cannot prevent members from contacting Chinese vendors. Members have the right to do whatever the fuck they want in this world. However forum members can vote with their mouses (mice?) as to which thread they choose to support.

So @blankrider you are welcome to start a thread for glass concepts for your dealings with Steven, but it's entirely up to you if you want to or not. I hope that you do.

:peace:

Top Bottom