Custom CARBLESS VapCap Ti stems

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Actually ,I've ordered 100 pcs of Moonstone gems ( ~ 55 carats total ) in order to crush them
,powderizing them -and test this moonstone powder as a potentional epoxy resin composite material.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moo...OriJPcAhXDESwKHeW_CIIQsAQILA&biw=1280&bih=949

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=100+moonstone&_sacat=0

And the third -& most expensive -option of epoxy composite is the GITD .
Aka Glow-In-The-Dark.

Modern " glow in the dark pigments" ( Rare Earth dopped Strontium Aluminate salts ) are far superior than the older Zinc Sulfide salt based " glow in the dark " pigments,regarding both glow brightness and glow duration.

Actually there are only three GITD pigments that do not deteriorate over time and/or with exposure at UV light ,either natural from the sun or artificial like from a UV LED torch .
All the rest will lose their hue and glow power.

1 ) Yellow Green : Having the highest glow brightness score.

2 ) Aqua Blue : Having the longest glow duration.

3 ) Sky Blue : ...Having a nice deep blue glow !

I will have available soon , the first two ( L-ZZ660 & L-JN475 ) .

http://chaostrade.eu/en/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/L-ZZ660-TDS.pdf

http://chaostrade.eu/en/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/L-JN475-TDS.pdf

(...) Yellow-green, aqua-blue and sky-blue pigments can be used both indoor and outdoor. Other colours are made from this three base fluorescent powders by adding to them additional fluorescent pigment that modify the glowing colour. This additional pigment is not UV resistant so permanent use of this pigments outdoor (for example as a part of garden furniture) will slowly change glowing colour and finally pigment glowing colour will come back to base glowing. Of course occasional outdoor usage will be not harmful for pigment. (...)

(...) Our luminescent pigments are made from strontiun aluminateit’s non toxic, not flammable nor radioactive however during work with it it’s recommended to keep all safety rules as with other dusty materials. (...)

http://chaostrade.eu/en/offer/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strontium aluminate (SRA, SrAl, SrAl2O4) is a solid odorless, nonflammable, pale yellow, monoclinic crystalline powder, heavier than water. It is chemically and biologically inert. When activated with a suitable dopant (e.g. europium, then it is labeled SrAl2O4:Eu), it acts as a photoluminescent phosphor with long persistence of phosphorescence.

For many phosphorescent-based purposes, strontium aluminate is a vastly superior phosphor to its predecessor, copper-activated zinc sulfide; it is about 10 times brighter and 10 times longer glowing, however it is about 10 times more expensive than ZnS:Cu and it cannot produce the unique red phosphorescence of the latter. It is frequently used in glow in the dark toys, where it displaces the cheaper but less efficient ZnS:Cu. However, the material has high hardness, causing abrasion to the machinery handling it; manufacturers frequently coat the particles with a suitable lubricant when adding them to a plastic.

Strontium aluminate phosphors produce green and aqua hues, where green gives the highest brightness and aqua the longest glow time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strontium_aluminate

-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So , new composite materials are being currently under test .
( And I can not hold a secret to make a proper suprise to you all ...)

1 ) 14 x ( for starters , more later ) Mica colors and an endless range of effects by mixing them.

2 ) 2x Glow -In-The -Dark colors .

3 ) 1x gemstone powder ,moonstone that is.Hope it works .

Firstly the new mouthpieces with inlays are going to be made .
And then I will try making some Epoxy composite / Titanium " cigar " stems .

Cheers

Last edited:

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Iridescent green-violet is something I get from time to time ,
out of pure luck !

2pze82b.jpg

1601jco.jpg

2hi2jvk.jpg

atx3xj.jpg

iqec06.jpg

Cheers.
That's an absolute stunner in my two favorite colors! One day I'll be commissioning one... One day...

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Aquarius for sure, maybe in combination with Golden Pumkin.

Perhaps you should try to make "inlays" out of this stuff? Take a - deep - hammered ti, coat it with this stuff and abrase it until the higher parts of the hammered are visible again?

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Aquarius for sure, maybe in combination with Golden Pumkin.

Perhaps you should try to make "inlays" out of this stuff? Take a - deep - hammered ti, coat it with this stuff and abrase it until the higher parts of the hammered are visible again?

Titanium does not form so strong bond with polymers /resins ,like others metals do.
So,the inlay has to form a shape that "holds on " (like a ring )
or be applied on a really rough textured surface (like knurlling ) .
On hammered or tree bark textures i really have my concerns about the
durability of the Titanium-epoxy composite bond.

Here's one of the test specimens -made quite sloppish -: Dark blue tinted epoxy with (real )copper particles.
The copper is exposed ,so in time it will oxidize (darken or form green/blue patina) .
So,I 've ruled out any composite with metal particles( like the M3 mokume material ) .

2wf4y37.jpg

308uy45.jpg

2w7o7du.jpg

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
The inlays on the mouthpieces will actually form a composite ring ,
firmly attached to the mp ,both by chemical bonding between Ti and the resin composite,
but also by the ring being "trapped " inside it's groove mechanically ,
after the resin composite fully cures .

Inlays have a depth of 1 mm .Since the part of the mp that remains outside the stem tube ( 17 mm long )
has an inner tube dia. of 5 mm ,then the remaining wall thickness under the inlay is 1.5 mm *.
More than an acceptable thickness ,regarding the mp 's durability & robustness .
mp.jpg

* ( mp tube has OD of 10mm .Minus the 5 mm of the ID= 5 mm Dia. of material remaining.
Meaning the wall thickness is 2.5 mm .Minus 1 mm of the inlay groove = 1.5 mm
)

At the following pics you can see the inlay groove on an uncompleted test mp .
The inlay groove is the wider one.The other one-the narrow - is just a cut marking .
Inlay type E aka " 5X " = 5 mm wide inlay of a single composite .
Available mouthpiece inlay types : https://sdsvcstems.blogspot.com/2018/07/blog-post.html

2mos7rn.jpg

14cbm92.jpg

Note : the "scratchings " on the bottom of the inlay groove are done on purpose with a small file,while the part is being turned ,in order to increase the surface roughness ,for the composite to firmly bond with Ti .

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
And here are the four- currently available -mica hues .

Before mixing the composites

~ 5' after mixing the composites.They have already harden .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Bewitched " : Superb gray -black with silver shine.

"Icicle" : (Lightly contaminated with "Bewitched " dust ) Off- silvery white.
Reminds of ivory .

"Blue Moon " : Solid blue with a light purplish shine /undertone .

"Bejeweled " : Amazing green ,with gold shine !
A superb hue for matching with green anodized Ti .

Last edited:

Squiby

I think that the mouthpiece inlay idea is brilliant! It's another switch 'em up LEGO component for those that like to play with their pieces and will add another level of sophistication to the already beautifully milled mouthpieces.

BRAVO!

How long before we will see a sample mp?I

Edit: Well I'll BE.... Bewitched and Bejeweled that is. They are my favorites. That green is stunning! I'm surprised at how dark and rich the Blue Moon came out. On my monitor the website sample appeared to be more of a light Periwinkle Blue.

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
I think that the mouthpiece inlay idea is brilliant! It's another switch 'em up LEGO component for those that like to play with their pieces and will add another level of sophistication to the already beautifully milled mouthpieces.

BRAVO!

How long before we will see a sample mp?I

Edit: Well I'll BE.... Bewitched and Bejeweled that is. They are my favorites. That green is stunning! I'm surprised at how dark and rich the Blue Moon came out. On my monitor the website sample appeared to be more of a light Periwinkle Blue.

I'm not sure ,but me thinks that the saturation of the mica powder pigments varies
depending on the carrier / substrate / medium that they are mixed into and the mica powder load .

It's the same exactly mica powders that are used by ladies to subtle enhance their facial characteristics & also decorate other body parts ,in the form of make-up powder ,lipstick ,nail polish,etc .
But also mica powders are also extensively used in the " gents world ",mainly in the form of
high-priced paintjobs of their Lambos,4x4 wheels ,badazz bikes ,etc.

So ,the actual range of color saturation of any mica pigment can vary from "subtle "
to "extreme jaw-dropping ,eye-popping & brain-shaking vivid ".

BTW ,yes in real life the Bejeweled green-gold is truly unearthy !

I can't wait for the rest of the pigments to arrive .
I've ordered quite a few !
Here's the list of soon -to-be-available mica hues :

Blacks / Grays
1 ) Bewitched
2 ) Nebula
3 ) Moonkissed Nights

Whites
4 ) Icicle
5 ) Creme De La Creme
6 ) Arctic White

Browns -Yellows / Metals
7 ) Antique Gold Brown
8 ) Brushed Bronze
9 ) Coppery Blush
10 ) Gold Sparks
11 ) Toffeelicious
12 )Tiger's Eye

Reds /Oranges
13 ) Coral Sparkler
14 ) Fiery Fusion
15 ) Grape
16 ) Passionata
17 ) Sunset Dazzler

Blues
18 ) Almost Ice
19 ) Blue Moon
20 ) Deep Ocean Blue
21 ) Dreamy Aquamarine
22 ) Sassy Golden Blue

Greens
23 ) Aquarius
24 ) Bejeweled
25 ) Chartreuse Sparkle
26 ) Oasis

Purples
27 ) Pandora
28 ) Purple Passion

Dear Squiby ,it won't take long until the first inlay mp will show up.
But first I 'll need some time to learn how to actually inlay composites and reproduce
high quality results.
;)

Cheers.

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Oooohhhhh....What if you covered that in clear resin with just a tinge of green/purple, think it'd give a deep shine like doing multiple layers of clear on a car?

I'm not quite sure about the durability of the bond between anodized Titanium and multiple resin coats.
An automobile paint job is done way different :
Raw metal surface => primer => paint layer(s) => single,double,triple or even more clear acrylic resin layer(s).

While on a stem will be :
Anodized Ti => multiple layers of epoxy resin.
:hmm:

This is functional art coupled with indestructible titanium built to last a lifetime.
That is the best admiration comment ever done for my work !
Very comprehensive ,yet laconic enough.
Thank you .
:)

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Wow! That is so gorgeous. The rings really do seem like something I would swap out for my own pleasure. The form and lines of your stems are always stunning even without color, but I just love this style a whole lot. You named it perfectly because the it reminds me of an ocean's waves. I think hammered is my favorite when no anodizing or minimal anodizing is done. One day, one day.
@Squiby I believe that stem was shared with the community, right? I do recall a bronzed one with a more subtle coloring, and it was gorgeous. I know these stems will look even better in person. The craftsmanship is apparent, as is the creativity and artistry.

@stardustsailor that's the beauty! Oh yeah, "bejeweled" is my favorite, but I like sparkles, so they are all nice to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom