Custom CARBLESS VapCap Ti stems

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
So do the rings spin freely? Could you hold it in a similar way to a spinning MP for a bit of a smoother spinning action? Very cool.
Nope,the rings do not spin freely.
They are held firmly in place with the aid of a standard DV o-ring.
This kind of mp ( "Ring-mp" ) has three such o-rings.
Two of them are used to hold the mp into the stem and the third is used to hold the
decorative ring onto the mp.

Cheers.

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Iridescent green-violet is something I get from time to time ,
out of pure luck !

2pze82b.jpg

1601jco.jpg

2hi2jvk.jpg

atx3xj.jpg

iqec06.jpg

Cheers.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Φιλαράκι? How about MoodRings instead? :brow:
I'm not quite sure if these rings affect the mood of the Vc user .And in what ways...
What I'm quite sure is that they modificate the looks of a stem .
SDS, put the link in your signature for easy access. :nod:

It's had been already there !
;)

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
That's basically the same as the M3 Mokume stuff without the meaningless technobabble then? I giggled reading the M3 site.

No,actually is not .
The M3 Mokume is a composite material consisting of clear epoxy (or maybe methacrylate ) resin and real metal particles ( aluminium ,iron ,copper,bronze,brass,tin,zinc,titanium ,etc )
and ,most probably, some mica pigments.

The pen blank vid shows the making of a composite material consisiting of two part epoxy resin andonly mica powders .

If you ask me I prefer the Resin + Mica combo ,more than the M3 mokume composite.
The M3 is not going to be lightweight (as it contains real metal particles ) and is subject to
corrosion ( they may call it "patina" ,still it is corrosion actually ) .

Lately ,I'm experimenting with composite epoxy materials and their use at the making of VC stems & mouthpieces .
Soon ,some new mouthpieces will be available.
https://sdsvcstems.blogspot.com/2018/07/blog-post.html
Maybe even some new "cigar " type of Mica Composite (outer layer )
& Titanium ( inner tube ) stems will follow...

Mica is a very interesting material for the art .
Amongst many otheruses ,mica is also used ...

( ...) in reinforcing additives for polymers to increase strength and stiffness and to improve stability to heat, chemicals, and ultraviolet (UV) radiation; in heat shields and temperature insulation; in industrial coating additive to decrease the permeability of moisture and hydrocarbons; and in polar polymer formulations to increase the strength of epoxies, nylons, and polyesters.

Wet-ground mica, which retains the brilliance of its cleavage faces, is used primarily in pearlescent paints by the automotive industry. Many metallic-looking pigments are composed of a substrate of mica coated with another mineral, usually titanium dioxide (TiO2). The resultant pigment produces a reflective color depending on the thickness of the coating. These products are used to produce automobile paint, shimmery plastic containers, high-quality inks used in advertising and security applications.
(...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mica

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
I've already asked dear Squiby to choose 10 hues for a "starter " palette...
2 of them should appeal mostly to the ladies ,
as also 2 of them should appeal mostly to gents.
The rest 6 should be appealling to both sexes.

I also wish to make weird combinations
(like black and red ,orange & yellow to create a "lava" effect ,for example :
https://www.exoticblanks.com/Lava-Lamp-Blank-40-Copper-Kettle.html )

But if someone wants to help ,feel free to express your opinion about which 10 hues I should get for starters .

Here's the link :
https://www.u-makeitup.com/cosmetic-grade-coloured-micas/coloured-mica-world/

There are some other "chameleon" ( Interference/Duochrome ) effect micas too :
https://www.u-makeitup.com/cosmetic-ingredients/interference-duochrome-pigments.html
But i'm not quite sure if they retain their effect ,when mixed with resin epoxy .

I already have these hues :

- "Blue Moon " (blue with purple undertones/shine )

- "Icicle" (translucent silvery white ,to mix with GITD /gemstone powder )

- "Bejeweled " (vivid green with blue & gold shine )

- "Bewitched " (black with silver shine )

So,these four should not be included in the list .

Cheers.

Last edited:

Skunkport

The M3 Mokume (not actual mokume, M3) is, after reading all the nonsense claimed, metal dust suspended in resin. That's all it is.

Cigar stems? Yes!

I'll have one to match my Lamborghini. I don't actually have the car yet, I'm just planning ahead for when my lottery numbers come up.

Arancio Atlas Orange! Red/Orange mix
ehahvk.jpg

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
No it's not that's just a resin pen body. The mokume is metal.
Not the M3 mokume ,is not .
At least not fully metal.
It's a composite material.

http://m3mokume.com/

Create stunning heirloom quality luxury goods with M3 Mokume composite Blanks, Rods, Billets, and Knife Scales. Add a whole new dimension to your art by creating with magnificent materials exhibiting spectacular wood grains (Mokume), patterns and surface characteristics that both mesmerize and inspire. Produced with exotic natural elements (metals, lava, carbon) that have been transformed by the M3 macro-molecular process enabling them to be worked with standard tooling, finished easily to a gem quality surface and will literally last forever.

NOTE: Once any metal goes through the M3 Process, the resulting material will not conduct electricity and is no longer a solid metal. This material needs to be worked differently than solid metals, which is sort of the point. Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with our website to learn about this remarkable material before purchasing. M3 Mokume is a custom product that first goes into production the day after you order it and can not be returned. It will only be exchanged if the product has a physical defect or unsightly pattern.

M3 has been engineered to cut, carve, grind and sand smoothly and then polish to a hard, durable gem quality finish. The material is very stable and will hold the finest detail including threads. Any good epoxy glue will create a permanent bond with M3 and almost any other material including gem stones. Colors and patterns run completely through the material and the finished product is beautiful, lightweight, very strong, comfortable to wear and to touch and will last for many generations.

M3 Mokume Blanks, Billets and Scales are handcrafted to exacting standards in the USA. While the M3 proprietary process utilizes some very sophisticated equipment and scientific processes, the M3 Mokume wood grain patterns can only be produced by hand. Each blank is an individual work of art created by a master technician. The blanks are made to size in order to insure that the wood grain pattern is always in proportion and the “sweet spot” is just below the surface revealed by turning, carving or milling.

While macro-molecular composites sharing many of the same properties of M3 Mokume are used in aerospace, marine and medical industries; M3 Composite Industries LLC (the company that owns MetalPenBlanks.com) is the only company in the world that produces them in a form that artisans and manufacturers can use to make luxury goods. Many of the processes used to create the wood grained patterns, colour changing and unique surface characteristics of M3 Mokume were invented at M3ci making these materials quite rare and desirable.

Check out our gallery to see just some of the spectacular items that have been produced with this amazing new material. Custom high end writing instruments (fountain pens), custom and limited edition knives, wine stoppers, pistol grips, pool cues, jewelry, letter openers, candle holders, musical instrument inlays, small urns, bowls and boxes just to name a few.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Arancio Atlas Orange! Red/Orange mix
ehahvk.jpg

Coloured Mica - Orange Burst™ :
This intense highly saturated orange has slightly red undertones and is a real eye popper.

Orange_Burst_45369.1354014488.1280.1280__39080.1374915613.1280.1280.jpg

or

Coloured Mica - Sunset Dazzler™ :
Another extremely bright orange with red undertones and enough sparkle to make it a bit of a dazzler!

Sunset_Dazzler_watermarked__73064.1377696254.1280.1280.jpg

Which one looks closer to the Arancio Atlas Orange hue ?

Yeah,I guess a vivid orange color is a must !
:tup:

szai

Coloured Mica - Orange Burst™ :
This intense highly saturated orange has slightly red undertones and is a real eye popper.

Orange_Burst_45369.1354014488.1280.1280__39080.1374915613.1280.1280.jpg

or

Coloured Mica - Sunset Dazzler™ :
Another extremely bright orange with red undertones and enough sparkle to make it a bit of a dazzler!

Sunset_Dazzler_watermarked__73064.1377696254.1280.1280.jpg

Which one looks closer to the Arancio Atlas Orange hue ?

Yeah,I guess a vivid orange color is a must !

Are you going to be making bodies of resin? I don't have any yet but there's a lot of interesting options in the pen body world not the least of which is clear.

Skunkport

Sunset Dazzler is my vote, although the actual colour is more one of the Interference/Duochrome versions, it doesn't show that well in the picture but it changes from deep red to almost yellow depending on your angle.

I can't find a decent video of it, but this is the kinda thing I mean

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Are you going to be making bodies of resin? I don't have any yet but there's a lot of interesting options in the pen body world not the least of which is clear.
Not exactly .

I will make a test first.

Firstly a titanium tube will be cut in size (62 mm ) .
Then polish the inner of the tube and countersink both sides (mp & tip ) .
Then knurl the full length of the tube ,in order to make a "grippy" surface for the resin-mica composite.
Thoroughly degrease and then ....

...Well I haven't actually figure out how I'm going to apply the uncured composite on the Titanium tube.
:hmm:

I do use the 5 ' hardening kind of epoxy and not the 60 ' ( " liquid glass " or casting epoxy ) hardening kind ,as the latter is kinda difficult to stay put on a round object ,until it fully cures.
( It's kinda like trying to hang minced meat on a butcher's meat hook...)
:ko:
Everything has to be done really fast,
otherwise the epoxy gets hard and becomes unable to be worked further,
within 5 minutes.

Either I've to make some type of mold ,where I place the Ti tube and then cast the epoxy ,
engulfing the whole tube ,except it's mp and tip sides.
OR
Place the Ti tube on the lathe ,set it to spin at a low speed and apply the composite
on the turning tube,while working it also if necessary (making " swirls ,streams ,etc ,depending on the desirable effect .)
Then let the tube fully cure for 24-36 hours and then proceed to final shaping and polishing/finishing .
And then make an assorted Mica composite / Ti mouthpiece to complete the stem.

That's how i think of it .
Still ,any further ideas / help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Sunset Dazzler is my vote, although the actual colour is more one of the Interference/Duochrome versions, it doesn't show that well in the picture but it changes from deep red to almost yellow depending on your angle.

I can't find a decent video of it, but this is the kinda thing I mean
I like myself Sunset Dazzler a lot .
That's a keeper .

Skunkport

Either I've to make some type of mold ,where I place the Ti tube and then cast the epoxy ,
engulfing the whole tube ,except it's mp and tip sides.
OR
Place the Ti tube on the lathe ,set it to spin at a low speed and apply the composite
on the turning tube,while working it also if necessary (making " swirls ,streams ,etc ,depending on the desirable effect .)

Both? Mold is easiest and fastest I'd think so that's best for your main method, but you can get effects with the layering that you won't with a mold, like latticework designs or insetting stones ect as you build it. With clear or translucent resin you could set stuff under the stem but visible.

Top Bottom