Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

UnshavenFish

All 4 of my Mighty's came FULLY charged. You think the calibration is off and then becomes good?

Yes but it's not that something is bad then turns good, it's the same as mobile phones or tablets it needs ran down and charged to calibrate the battery display, I've had ecigs that showed full on the screen when new but when monitoring the mAh after plugging in the charger it still took a few hours for the amps and watts to drop to 0, so even though the screen showed fully charged the cell was not.

UnshavenFish,
Reactions: biohacker

biohacker

Could explain why my calibration always appears fucked up. I try not to bring the charge down too low, but i'll have to do that from time to time to re-calibrate?

UnshavenFish

Could explain why my calibration always appears fucked up. I try not to bring the charge down too low, but i'll have to do that from time to time to re-calibrate?

Assuming the crafty/mighty battery display works the same way as lots of other li-ion devices do, then draining and charging to full should be done once every 1-2 month to keep the display accurate.

Now I haven't confirmed any of this with s&b it's just based on my experiences with other devices with battery meters.

I use one of these to monitor charging and capacity in anything with a fixed cell that uses USB...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Display-U...141692?hash=item33af2aacfc:g:PBcAAOSwFqJWhODr

You can get them in a plastic box but I went with this kind as I plan to make a wooden box for it just because it will look nicer (to me) if I ever get round to it.

I have had a few things that show full on the screen of the device but still take a charge, sometimes just a little 10-100mAh but other times by a bit 1000mAh+, that's why I don't always trust the displays to be accurate as if I stopped charging when the screen said full it would give the impression that I was not getting the runtime I should.

Like you I don't let the charge on my crafty get too low and most of the time I don't charge it fully either, this is something else that that little gadget is good for as you can monitor the current to see when the charge slows therefore keeping charge times fast.

King87

Having previously read a fair bit of this topic, I came to the conclusion to make Crafty my first vape purchase. Thanks to everyone who has posted useful information / reviews / tips on here. I’ve had mine for a week now so will post up a review after a few more sessions in case it helps anyone else in making a decision.

Couple of quick things I’m still not sure on as not vaped before..

1) Is it generally the correct method to keep vaping at a certain temp until all vapour/clouds stop forming when exhaling? I.e does clouds = still getting weed hits? Not sure if im wasting my time towards the end of sessions by just inhaling vapour that may be of no use.

2) When vaping... just say for example you only want to hit it every 2 minutes, is it best to let the 1 minute auto shut down kick in and let it cool down naturally for a minute before pressing the button…or press the button so it keeps heating continuously even though I won’t be hitting it for 2 minutes?

3) When charging… is it ok to charge overnight (approx. 7 hours charge) and rely on it knowing when its fully charged / auto shut off or is it best to turn off when fully charged in case it damages the battery?

Thanks

King87,

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
Having previously read a fair bit of this topic, I came to the conclusion to make Crafty my first vape purchase. Thanks to everyone who has posted useful information / reviews / tips on here. I’ve had mine for a week now so will post up a review after a few more sessions in case it helps anyone else in making a decision.

1) Is it generally the correct method to keep vaping at a certain temp until all vapour/clouds stop forming when exhaling? I.e does clouds = still getting weed hits? Not sure if im wasting my time towards the end of sessions by just inhaling vapour that may be of no use.

2) When vaping... just say for example you only want to hit it every 2 minutes, is it best to let the 1 minute auto shut down kick in and let it cool down naturally for a minute before pressing the button…or press the button so it keeps heating continuously even though I won’t be hitting it for 2 minutes?

3) When charging… is it ok to charge overnight (approx. 7 hours charge) and rely on it knowing when its fully charged / auto shut off or is it best to turn off when fully charged in case it damages the battery?

Thanks

1.I like to do a few hits , maybe 5 or 6 on a lower temp like 180 to have the full flavour. Then I boost and enjoy the thicker 195 hits.

2.I tested this and there was no difference.

3.I charge my Crafty every night minimum 6 hours. 160 hours on the clock.

Thcgos

Vape Addict

Thanks

What @Crafty Vaper said is completely valid.

I just wanted to add my :2c:

1) To answer your question @King87, generally speaking when the clouds stop... It's time to stop.
What I do is much like crafty vaper... I do hits @180c and then when the clouds start to taper off, I boost to 205c and when there is almost no clouds left at this temp, it's well and truly time to stop.

2) I would recommend not using it like this. The auto shut off is to conserve battery if you forget to turn it off.
Ideally you should take a detectable draw every <1min, as this is exactly how s&b designed the device, it won't shut down if you take a good draw every <1min.

The way you describe it would inefficiently drain the battery because it will have to maintain 180c+ for a few minutes even when your not using it (and the herbs will still be cooking while your not using them).

I have tried using it by taking a few draws then turning it off and coming back to it later... My herb were wasted, I got much less draws and I was not as medicated.

Maybe, if you can't handle a full bowl use the oil pad and make it a half or quater bowl.... Then do another quater bowl later.

But experiment :science: and see what you like.

3) It shouldn't matter at all. But because I'm OCD I try to take it off when I notice it's finished.

Enjoy man! I own and tested a lot of portables, crafty and mighty are the kings of session vapes.

Last edited:

ligi

ligi
A little crafty mod

QmRwm773RBCCdegYcXjjp4trUBGg6WpUZcyEBN3WH8QKdW

Added NFC Tag so that you only have to hold the phone close to the crafty to open the app ( in my case VCC )

King87

As promised, here goes my mini review just after having had a session;

(Crafty, Firmware 2.10, Total 3 Hours of operation.)

-
Full bowl with a very dry herb, grinded using the crafty crusher. It took 2 mins to get to 175C (starting point was 40C)

Once at 175C I just about managed to get 10 full vapes of decent clouds

*Boost to 190C* managed to get 3 vapes once at this temp, then it was completely dead, session over. Approx 13 min total.

1 Big thing I'd like to point out is that I stated the vape session with the battery level showing 3 bars... then by the end of the session it was only 1 bar with a message flashing up saying “charge your Crafty”....

For me the Crafty has been a good buy so for, great tasting vape and 1 full bowl just about gets me to where I like to be, although admittedly I don't think it gets me as nicely buzzed as a full weed spliff would get me, but I'm hoping this will change now that I don't combust anymore. Still generally a really nice clean high though I feel.

The loading tool is a really useful bit of gear, does the job well and is also good storage for your herb. The AVB comes out really nice and evenly browned off. The Crafty App is ok to use, nice to see the temperature in real time... but at the same time I don't want to start getting in the habit of staring at my phone instead of enjoying the vaping session. Also, the stealth of this thing is pretty amazing, gets palmed off easily – I even managed to have a full vape session in my local pub at the weekend... that was quite a cool moment, stealth vape! I won't go into too much detail with the battery life... everyone knows it has got its limitations and to be honest it is pretty bad... but just be prepared for it and have a power bank on standby, sorted!

As a side note – can anyone who has been using their Crafty for a while confirm if my readings above are what you are roughly achieving (number of hits etc)?

King87,

Thcgos

Vape Addict
As promised, here goes my mini review just after having had a session;

-
Full bowl with a very dry herb, grinded using the crafty crusher. It took 2 mins to get to 175C (starting point was 40C)

Once at 175C I just about managed to get 10 full vapes of decent clouds

*Boost to 190C* managed to get 3 vapes once at this temp, then it was completely dead, session over. Approx 13 min total.

1 Big thing I'd like to point out is that I stated the vape session with the battery level showing 3 bars... then by the end of the session it was only 1 bar with a message flashing up saying “charge your Crafty”....

For me the Crafty has been a good buy so for, great tasting vape and 1 full bowl just about gets me to where I like to be, although admittedly I don't think it gets me as nicely buzzed as a full weed spliff would get me, but I'm hoping this will change now that I don't combust anymore. Still generally a really nice clean high though I feel.

The loading tool is a really useful bit of gear, does the job well and is also good storage for your herb. The AVB comes out really nice and evenly browned off. The Crafty App is ok to use, nice to see the temperature in real time... but at the same time I don't want to start getting in the habit of staring at my phone instead of enjoying the vaping session. Also, the stealth of this thing is pretty amazing, gets palmed off easily – I even managed to have a full vape session in my local pub at the weekend... that was quite a cool moment, stealth vape! I won't go into too much detail with the battery life... everyone knows it has got its limitations and to be honest it is pretty bad... but just be prepared for it and have a power bank on standby, sorted!

As a side note – can anyone who has been using their Crafty for a while confirm if my readings above are what you are roughly achieving (number of hits etc)?

You really don't need to use the app that often.
I have my main temp @180c and my boost @205c and haven't touched the app in months. I just double tap when I want to go to temp 2 (boosted).

I think you will get a fuller profile of cannabinoids and more draws if you take it to 205c instead of boosted 190c (but each to their own).

For a battery baseline, when I first got my crafty I was comfortably doing 3 bowls sometimes 4.
Now after 40+ hours it's more like 2.8 (on my 3rd bowl the battery is dying a few draws shy of what I know I should have left on boost).

I won't do a draws/hits comparison.
Simple analogy.... "How long is a peice of string?"...
It's not like a joint/combustion.
The number of draws is directly related to the quality of the herb (actives in it), dryness, packing density and grind.
I've had as few as 7 draws and as many as 20 for a bowl. But it also depends on draw speed/duration. Too many variables, but the biggest variables are the quality of the herb and dryness (should be dry).

Last edited:
Thcgos,
Reactions: King87
You really don't need to use the app that often.
I have my main temp @180c and my boost @205c and haven't touched the app in months. I just double tap when I want to go to temp 2 (boosted).

I think you will get a fuller profile of cannabinoids and more draws if you take it to 205c instead of boosted 190c (but each to their own).

For a battery baseline, when I first got my crafty I was comfortably doing 3 bowls sometimes 4.
Now after 40+ hours it's more like 2.8 (on my 3rd bowl the battery is dying a few draws shy of what I know I should have left on boost).

I won't do a draws/hits comparison.
Simple analogy.... "How long is a peice of string?"...
It's not like a joint/combustion.
The number of draws is directly related to the quality of the herb (actives in it), dryness, packing density and grind.
I've had as few as 7 draws and as many as 20 for a bowl. But it also depends on draw speed/duration. Too many variables, but the biggest variables are the quality of the herb and dryness (should be dry).
im having odd results and i cannot figure out what it is i keep my herb jarred 1 day i get clouds and 20 plus draws and the next day with the same bud i get extremely poor results small clouds and 5-6 draws can someone help me figure out whats changing?

i think it could be my herb curing slightly in jar maybe ?but i thought this would be positive better cured dry buds are good right?

also i wonder if its battery life or does this make no difference?

i have always used the same grinder a 4 piece diamond tooth and have experimented with different packing methods and have recently resorted to using liquid pad but i didnt need this before!

startedflowermatingnimere,

Thcgos

Vape Addict
im having odd results and i cannot figure out what it is i keep my herb jarred 1 day i get clouds and 20 plus draws and the next day with the same bud i get extremely poor results small clouds and 5-6 draws can someone help me figure out whats changing?

i think it could be my herb curing slightly in jar maybe ?but i thought this would be positive better cured dry buds are good right?

also i wonder if its battery life or does this make no difference?

i have always used the same grinder a 4 piece diamond tooth and have experimented with different packing methods and have recently resorted to using liquid pad but i didnt need this before!

If all variables are the same: grind, pack, dryness, material...then there are only 2 things I could think of.

Battery:
Some people have mentioned that on the last bit of battery it doesn't perform well.
I notice with my crafty that it struggles to keep up temperature on the last bit of battery and the clouds might be slightly decreased (but I can't confirm this).

Can you narrow it down to when you are using it within the last bit of your battery?

Cooling unit:

If your unit is really gunked up badly or the screen is gunked up it can affect performance. But your intermittent performance does not speak to this...
Although it might not hurt to do a complete thorough clean on cooling unit and bowl.

P.s. I believe dryer the herb the better, from my own experience, but I haven't done any thorough experiments to prove this (e.g. Keep same material in one jar with humidity pack and another jar without).

Last edited:
Thcgos,
Reactions: grokit

biohacker

-

That heatup time is too long. With only 3 hours, your Crafty should be heating up from 20c to 180c in LESS than 2 mins. More like 1:45. I'm sure there are plenty of variables, but in general a new Crafty should not be exceeding two mins of heatup unless it's to 210c. There is a thread specifically related to this and it would help if you added your numbers to it, for science!

If your Crafty had 30+ hours, sure 2+ mins is the norm.

I definitely noticed a performance change as the battery life strayed from full charge.

biohacker,

Vapoz

So after 70+ hours I returned my Crafty because of the battery issues (only 2/3 sessions) and the housing kinda broke. Within one week I got a brand new Crafty with the latests firmware (2.10) and the device feels more robuust then the old one. Also the CU "clicks" on the Crafty.

Vapoz,

King87

That heatup time is too long. With only 3 hours, your Crafty should be heating up from 20c to 180c in LESS than 2 mins. More like 1:45. I'm sure there are plenty of variables, but in general a new Crafty should not be exceeding two mins of heatup unless it's to 210c. There is a thread specifically related to this and it would help if you added your numbers to it, for science!

If your Crafty had 30+ hours, sure 2+ mins is the norm.

I definitely noticed a performance change as the battery life strayed from full charge.

Its weird you say that…. on my first few sessions the heat up time would increase in multiples of 2 on the app, but the stated session here just went up by 1 every time…. Maybe due to the battery being close to running out (well, 3 bars at the start of session) I will have another go tonight and make sure the reading is accurate before I post the results.

Another thing I noticed, I found it quite hard to make a draw big enough to enable the device to know that I was drawing and therefore to reset the 1 minute shut off. I was having to make the light go from green to red before it knew I was vaping, not sure if that’s the norm or not.

All minor things that I’m sure will go away once I master it.

King87,

biohacker

Even on a full charge, I notice as the temp climbs, sometimes it's by 2c and mostly 1c. Either way, just try to fully charge it up. Then time it from approx 19-21c to 180c. It SHOULD be around 1:45. On a partial charge (50%) that drops to over 2 minutes. This is just my experience, and based on my observations of others in this thread, as well as the Crafty battery thread that @Stu monitors and created.

I have never had an issue with my draw tripping the shut off timer, but my lungs are huge and I take massive rips. Checkout my Mighty videos for proof! lol

Regardless, nothing to worry about....your crafty is new, and heatup speed is not its strong point, but if you keep it fully charged and use it for a bowl or two, it should keep you happy. If you need to use it more, keep it for portability and buy a Mighty for home! Best of both worlds IMO.

Vapinmofo

i have 2.08 with 10 hours use now and 0 problems i didnt ask about firmware it just came and worked :)
I am amazed that you have 10 hours already. I have had mine for months. I use it every day (NOT all day) but I only have 30 hours on the thing....
anyway...
How much are you packing into your Crafty?
Too much packed too hard will cause poor performance. fine grind lightish pack.
If too too fine the herb can block the screen on the cooling unit.

I was wondering how much ground herb you guys use.

I grind up about 300mg and get a minimum of two loads. I pour my herb into a small (3 dram?) glass jar for carrying and storage. I find that pre grinding works great. Its so easy to pull off the cooling unit and load 'er up.

.1-.15 grams yield many hits and clouds!!
I then sprinkle the herb into the heating chamber all the way to the top. I tap it down with the tool and then load it to the top again. I tap it down lightly so that the top of the herb is even with the top of the metal heating unit.
The crafty is pretty efficient.
Pre-grinding a 3 grams of herb, fully charging the Crafty and a small 10000ma USB battery pack is sufficient for all activities surrounding the getting to and having lots of before during and after, going to a Grateful dead or equivalent Concert. I almost always come home with a couple more loads in the jar.

your numbers (What are they how much do you load?) may be different.

BTW I vape at 355. My "booster" is set to 45 degrees.

This heat boost helps me finish the session.

Vaporlovinmofo

Vapinmofo,
Reactions: luchiano

Vapeconvert

.1-.15 grams yield many hits and clouds!!
I then sprinkle the herb into the heating chamber all the way to the top. I tap it down with the tool and then load it to the top again. I tap it down lightly so that the top of the herb is even with the top of the metal heating unit.
Pre-grinding a 3 grams of herb, fully charging the Crafty and a small 10000ma USB battery pack is sufficient for all activities surrounding the getting to and having lots of before during and after, going to a Grateful dead or equivalent Concert. I almost always come home with a couple more loads in the jar.

your numbers (What are they how much do you load?) may be different.

BTW I vape at 355. My "booster" is set to 45 degrees.

This heat boost helps me finish the session.

Vaporlovinmofo

I see you have taken your crafty to concerts, have you gone through any metal detectors or wands with it? Did it trigger the detector?

Just curious about how stealth it can be....

Thanks

Vapeconvert,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Pre-grinding a 3 grams of herb, fully charging the Crafty and a small 10000ma USB battery pack is sufficient for all activities surrounding the getting to and having lots of before during and after, going to a Grateful dead or equivalent Concert.

But I take issue...
There has never been anything "equivalent" to a Grateful Dead show.

For myself and wife, Crafty's single battery and longer charge time could not keep up with our patterns, so we've gone to a Mighty for most use...and a Pax2 to supplement.
Looking forward to our Grasshopper shipping sometime...
Have you seen what the Hopper users have begun to do with Crafty's cooling unit? Check it out over on the Grasshopper thread.

King87

I tap it down lightly so that the top of the herb is even with the top of the metal heating unit.

Vaporlovinmofo

06191258a5023030f8bf1457b38f7f0991975f7d5e2fd7ff36b02eaa44264b2bb1f17618.jpg

Just for clarity, for a full bowl is it the red line you go up to? I only ask as I've seen someone go beyond the line when filling their chamber...

King87,
Reactions: Thcgos

vapviking

Old & In the Way
06191258a5023030f8bf1457b38f7f0991975f7d5e2fd7ff36b02eaa44264b2bb1f17618.jpg

Just for clarity, for a full bowl is it the red line you go up to? I only ask as I've seen someone go beyond the line when filling their chamber...
Long answer, this is how the owner's manual shows proper filling. There are other options available.
More is okay, as long as it's not so tight-packed so as to restrict air flow.
Less is okay, just put a top screen or the oil pad on top to hold it down semi-snug.

If all variables are the same: grind, pack, dryness, material...then there are only 2 things I could think of.

Battery:
Some people have mentioned that on the last bit of battery it doesn't perform well.
I notice with my crafty that it struggles to keep up temperature on the last bit of battery and the clouds might be slightly decreased (but I can't confirm this).

Can you narrow it down to when you are using it within the last bit of your battery?

Cooling unit:

If your unit is really gunked up badly or the screen is gunked up it can affect performance. But your intermittent performance does not speak to this...
Although it might not hurt to do a complete thorough clean on cooling unit and bowl.

P.s. I believe dryer the herb the better, from my own experience, but I haven't done any thorough experiments to prove this (e.g. Keep same material in one jar with humidity pack and another jar without).
im currently thinking its cooling unit as it gunked up fairly quickly ive got 16 hours on it in a short amount of time so im going to try to clean it also how often do you clean crafty?

when you load do you push it down so its a hard block or leave it slightly looser?

startedflowermatingnimere,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
im currently thinking its cooling unit as it gunked up fairly quickly ive got 16 hours on it in a short amount of time so im going to try to clean it also how often do you clean crafty?

when you load do you push it down so its a hard block or leave it slightly looser?
Well, if your c/u is gunked up, then Crafty is likely producing vapor, at least some of the time!
Check the c/u for leaks. When c/u is off of the main unit, cover the screen with thumb and try to blow or suction through the mouthpiece. There should be resistance, no air getting in or out elsewhere. Might be time to change a seal?

vapviking,

Betdwn

3 hours on my crafty and on the first charge I left it overnight after fully draining the battery.

Woke up in the morning and found out the crafty does not turn on.

I then tried to charge the unit but blue light did not turn on.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

v2.08 sn:034xxx

Betdwn,

Mr. Me2

3 hours on my crafty and on the first charge I left it overnight after fully draining the battery.

Woke up in the morning and found out the crafty does not turn on.

I then tried to charge the unit but blue light did not turn on.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

v2.08 sn:034xxx
Did you check info on your app? It may show no charge and may be as simple as the cord was not fully plugged in.

Mr. Me2,
Top Bottom