Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Hawk

Vambo1980

Version 2 :)
A lot of dremel work and it is much easier now to replace battery on the go :)

vWhB4gH.jpg

HAE3XCW.jpg

CtQBvv9.jpg

Wow Alex,
That is a great mod, it's very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Little update about my old girl.. she is still tickling my tonsils.
She still gets a run nearly every day. Altough not getting any fitter. I'm up to 896 hours on my 2.05 firmware model. The usb connector has now failed so I've hard wired/soldered it to an old usb cable and it just sits permanently plugged into my monitor charged ready to vape at least one bowl a day.

Long live the Crafty and all the pleasures it gives!!!

jvoltios

OMG .. Cleaning the cooling unit is SO easy ..when I hear ppl say they go months without doing so it completely befuddles me.

I Def notice a difference in clouds between a clean crafty and a gunned up one.. I also use the original screen (the big one) because the airflow is better (and its ridiculously easy to clean crafty anyways.

Simply take cooling unit apart . Let sit in iso for 20-30 mins or so.. then rinse with hot water (if its really dirty you may need to let soak longer and / or take a old toothbrush to it).

This method will give you a factory clean cooling unit. Not a spot of gunk anywhere!..

Keep your craftys clean ppl. Its easy and it tastes better..

I was just thinking about opening it and just soak everything on ISO but I'm worried about the hologram. Does it get ruined if I soak that part as well? I'm interested in reclaiming the oil.

jvoltios,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I was just thinking about opening it and just soak everything on ISO but I'm worried about the hologram. Does it get ruined if I soak that part as well? I'm interested in reclaiming the oil.
I've soaked it for ~20 minutes several times and have not seen any degradation of the hologram sticker. But I do seem to recall someone having had issues, so take my experience as anecdotal.

If you want to be 100% safe, you can just remove the sliding part from the CU before soaking. :2c:
jI24yn0.jpg

:peace:

Vambo1980

I've soaked it for ~20 minutes several times and have not seen any degradation of the hologram sticker. But I do seem to recall someone having had issues, so take my experience as anecdotal.

If you want to be 100% safe, you can just remove the sliding part from the CU before soaking. :2c:
jI24yn0.jpg

:peace:

If you leave them in ISO for more than a few hours the adhesive breaks down and turns to jelly.
If you reclaim the oil for any purpose then you should remove them altogether in my opinion.

karec

Hi Guys 1st post in FC, glad to have found this site, really helpful.
So i own a VapeXhale Cloud EVO, a Crafty (2nd unit) and a Lynx Hypnos Pen for oil.

Regarding the Crafty it is a really good product by a really good company but....

Bought my Crafty on Jan 15 and was my only vape so i did use it hard, after 13months and 150h of use got dead didn't plug in so S&B replaced the unit and on May16 i got a new unit but didn't use it so heavily because i bought the Lynx and the Evo but another 13 months and 150h went by and got broken again can go higher than 90 celsius but this time a yellow light and a message on the app saying "The Vaporiser is faulty Send the vaporiser in to S&B service center" now the unit turns on blinks red and yellow and turns off...so i got in touch with S&B in Germany and got this reply...

"Please understand that we do not offer a repair service after the warranty periode.

We can offer you a new device for the price of 258€. If you want to take advantge of this offer we would ask you to send your device to us.

Please let us know how you want to proceed."

So according to European Union Directive every member state should give a new warranty period after an item is replaced by a new one so i was supposed to get another 2 year warranty by this law...

But the German Law is ambiguous and by doing that they let the company use a Commercial policy saying what i got in the message, in Portugal where i live its clear and they wouldn't stand a chance giving me the reply i got...

So now this is whats happening my RMA still pending, im looking for a Law in Germany to support my claim but meanwhile i bought a DaVinci IQ (waiting to arrive) because even they gave me a new one with a 2 year warranty this hassle don't worth the point ... at least the IQ has 10 year so... (off course other hassles will come hahahaha)

Even i get a new device i will sell it unused, if not i will try to fix this (my wife favourite) so if anyone got the same problem and got it fixed... advise please, i didn't went thru almost 400 pages looking for it... never opened a crafty because of warranty issues but im just waiting for RMA closure to proceed to do it.

THX
Cheers
GAV

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
f you want to be 100% safe, you can just remove the sliding part from the CU before soaking.
i there a trick to remove it without breaking the plastic lips? broke them partially but it still works...
@karec - yes, the problem is a directive ain't law per se, the things it says have to be adopted into law by every state in it's own 'version' in a set time frame... eu is still far away from unity in many points - if u bought it at a portuguese shop chances would be probably better...

Last edited:
Used2use,

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Version 2 :)
A lot of dremel work and it is much easier now to replace battery on the go :)

vWhB4gH.jpg

HAE3XCW.jpg

CtQBvv9.jpg
S&B are insane for not releasing something like this. No way replacing Crafty after Crafty is making them more money than selling these that would actually last...or maybe it is what do I know.

Cheesequake,
Reactions: ktmstick

vapviking

Old & In the Way
i there a trick to remove it without breaking the plastic lips? broke them partially but it still works...
Slide it all the way back, push to one side then pry gently from under the edge at the side it's been moved to.
I think instruction or graphic for this is also in the owner's manual.

Vambo1980

Hi Guys 1st post in FC, glad to have found this site, really helpful.
So i own a VapeXhale Cloud EVO, a Crafty (2nd unit) and a Lynx Hypnos Pen for oil.

Regarding the Crafty it is a really good product by a really good company but....

Bought my Crafty on Jan 15 and was my only vape so i did use it hard, after 13months and 150h of use got dead didn't plug in so S&B replaced the unit and on May16 i got a new unit but didn't use it so heavily because i bought the Lynx and the Evo but another 13 months and 150h went by and got broken again can go higher than 90 celsius but this time a yellow light and a message on the app saying "The Vaporiser is faulty Send the vaporiser in to S&B service center" now the unit turns on blinks red and yellow and turns off...so i got in touch with S&B in Germany and got this reply...

"Please understand that we do not offer a repair service after the warranty periode.

We can offer you a new device for the price of 258€. If you want to take advantge of this offer we would ask you to send your device to us.

Please let us know how you want to proceed."

So according to European Union Directive every member state should give a new warranty period after an item is replaced by a new one so i was supposed to get another 2 year warranty by this law...

But the German Law is ambiguous and by doing that they let the company use a Commercial policy saying what i got in the message, in Portugal where i live its clear and they wouldn't stand a chance giving me the reply i got...

So now this is whats happening my RMA still pending, im looking for a Law in Germany to support my claim but meanwhile i bought a DaVinci IQ (waiting to arrive) because even they gave me a new one with a 2 year warranty this hassle don't worth the point ... at least the IQ has 10 year so... (off course other hassles will come hahahaha)

Even i get a new device i will sell it unused, if not i will try to fix this (my wife favourite) so if anyone got the same problem and got it fixed... advise please, i didn't went thru almost 400 pages looking for it... never opened a crafty because of warranty issues but im just waiting for RMA closure to proceed to do it.

THX
Cheers
GAV
Hi Gav,
Welcome to FC
You could search my old posts for more info.
The yellow/red flashing error for myself was the thermal fuse which connects in series through the heating element. I bypassed this fuse and soldered the heater element wires direct to the crafty main board. Perhaps not a good idea for everyone but I also removed the battery thermistor and soldered a 14k surface mount resistor across the connector solder tabs to stop the annoying warning about battery temp. I now have 900hrs on mine with numerous battery replacements along the way.

karec

Hi Gav,
Welcome to FC
You could search my old posts for more info.
The yellow/red flashing error for myself was the thermal fuse which connects in series through the heating element. I bypassed this fuse and soldered the heater element wires direct to the crafty main board. Perhaps not a good idea for everyone but I also removed the battery thermistor and soldered a 14k surface mount resistor across the connector solder tabs to stop the annoying warning about battery temp. I now have 900hrs on mine with numerous battery replacements along the way.

Cheers mate many thx to your reply
i will end the RMA with S&B, then i don't know if i will send the device back to them and wait for the repair cost or do it myself (with a little help) but if i do it myself i will take the opportunity to change the battery... the explanation that you provide is really helpful to try to explain to a tech guy, this way i will not be mislead on this...

My questions are:

Can the yellow/red blink light be other problem?

Since i could do it for myself i will replace the battery, can you provide a good battery for this replacement?

im also buying an Davinci IQ , by your experience what is the best replacement battery for this device?
i want to buy a replacement with battery charger but im afraid to choose a wrong one that will damage in the future the device...

Im new to this forum and i have 3 devices going to be 4 in a few days so i have a lot of reading to do hahahahahaha

Cheers Mate Many Thx
GAV

biohacker

According to some posts on the VapeLife review website, the new Crafty's have a sticker that say 20% more battery power! Another user said that there are about 4 sessions per charge vs the previous 3.

I have a brand new Crafty landing next week so hopefully it's the latest (from PIU)!

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
According to some posts on the VapeLife review website, the new Crafty's have a sticker that say 20% more battery power! Another user said that there are about 4 sessions per charge vs the previous 3.

I have a brand new Crafty landing next week so hopefully it's the latest (from PIU)!

This would be so cool! I'm on holidays in Denmark and my crafty will hit 293 hours tonight. With original battery! Impressive!

biohacker

I'd say! WOW! I can't wait to get mine, just hope the stock is new enough that I get one with the recent FW and 20% stronger battery.

biohacker,

karec

I'd say! WOW! I can't wait to get mine, just hope the stock is new enough that I get one with the recent FW and 20% stronger battery.

Guys after 2 devices with only 150h each and no warranty just because the german law don't defend the end user (like the european directive recommend) only defend the german company i changed to the IQ and i have to say from 2 years warranty to 10 years for sure is better!!!
the performance between them didn't notice one be superior to the other but i have to test it side by side
cheers

blackstone

According to some posts on the VapeLife review website, the new Crafty's have a sticker that say 20% more battery power!

When I searched it up I found a photo someone uploaded of the box with new sticker https://www.instagram.com/p/BUe4naQFeeL/

There was some Crafty discounts flying here the other day and I went into acute VAS, checking bank balances and in livechat with retailers!
I was able to calm myself for now.
Then those hot pics by @nitro on the last page,
now improved battery!

I guess there will come a time when they won't put the sticker on the box anymore and it would be hard to tell if a given package was improved?
But for now maybe all the improved ones have the sticker?

biohacker

Comparing the IQ to the Crafty? Apples and oranges, or should I say crab apples to oranges IMO.

I'd be more than happy to get 150h on a Crafty! If it dies and you're in your warranty period and it's not the battery you're covered. If you're outside of the warranty, that's a bummer, but 2 years and 150h would make me happy.

I guess there will come a time when they won't put the sticker on the box anymore and it would be hard to tell if a given package was improved?
But for now maybe all the improved ones have the sticker?

Nice find man! So it IS true!! If I don't get the new stock it's going back to PIU and i'm buying direct from S&B. I also picked up the Mighty so maby it has better batteries now too? Fingers crossed for the new stock!

Even without the sticker I bet you'd be able to tell with a firmware version number?

Vambo1980

Cheers mate many thx to your reply
i will end the RMA with S&B, then i don't know if i will send the device back to them and wait for the repair cost or do it myself (with a little help) but if i do it myself i will take the opportunity to change the battery... the explanation that you provide is really helpful to try to explain to a tech guy, this way i will not be mislead on this...

My questions are:

Can the yellow/red blink light be other problem?

Since i could do it for myself i will replace the battery, can you provide a good battery for this replacement?

im also buying an Davinci IQ , by your experience what is the best replacement battery for this device?
i want to buy a replacement with battery charger but im afraid to choose a wrong one that will damage in the future the device...

Im new to this forum and i have 3 devices going to be 4 in a few days so i have a lot of reading to do hahahahahaha

Cheers Mate Many Thx
GAV

Hi Gav,

The flashing red/yellow light could indeed be a common signal for other faults. If for example the heater burnt out or some how became open circuit. I doubt very much it is that though, most likely be the thermal fuse that is mounted at the bottom of the oven base mount/housing. If the base of the unit was getting noticabilly warmer towards the end of it's life this also points to the thermal fuse. If the fuse has blown you also need to test the heating element. It's resistance should be below 0.5ohms.

I'm not sure what's currently the best battery on the market, others on here or other forums will be able to help here. I have been happy with the Samsung 25R but the Sony VTC6 is a good cell I think. The same battery you get for the crafty would be good for the IQ you're after a battery that can sustain 15-20A discharge and hold it's voltage the longest while also not getting to warm.. usually the cells with lowest internal resistance achive the best discharge characteristics, although battery chemistry is being tweaked all the time so this may not be true with the latest cells.

VJ

karec

You're comparing the IQ to the Crafty? Apples and oranges, or should I say crab apples to oranges IMO.

I'd be more than happy to get 150h on a Crafty! If it dies and you're in your warranty period and it's not the battery you're covered. If you're outside of the warranty, that's a bummer, but 2 years and 150h would make me happy.

i would be happy if they were honest.... a replacement unit with 13months is still under warranty even if the 1st unit died on me with the same 150h and 13months, every replacement unit should have another 2year warranty but S&B like to use a hole in the german law to F%&k us so F%&k them, love their products, crafty has my 2nd Vap after the firefly and its perfect, love the plenty and all the others but cannot buy a new crafty every 2 years its not cheap and why they only give 2 years instead of 10?? because on the long run they are sh1t, i would love to have 500h on one unit (or even 900h Vambo1980 u rock!!!), i wouldn't be here complain but 2 units 150h each not for me, and yes i compare the IQ to the crafty, performance wise i like them both, outside look IQ smashes the crafty and his plastic case. but thats just a point a view from a new member with only 3 year fucking combustion.
Cheers

blackstone

Nice find man! So it IS true!! If I don't get the new stock it's going back to PIU and i'm buying direct from S&B. I also picked up the Mighty so maby it has better batteries now too? Fingers crossed for the new stock!

Even without the sticker I bet you'd be able to tell with a firmware version number?

True the mighty could be improved too. There's actually a funny comment next to that photo where a guy assumes that the Mighty would have 40% better battery.
Now I'm really bad at maths, but I think he might have got that hilariously wrong, and it would be still 20% better even with two cells?!

Maybe PIU will swap if it's not the latest. Best of luck with your new products btw!

biohacker

@karec that's not usually the way warranties work man. If it's 2 years you're covered for 2 years, they don't "reset", so you could perpetually be getting warranties indefinitely. After 2 years you're on your own, unless you use a credit card that "extends" the warranty an additional year like I do. Not many manufacturers give 10 year warranties, standard is usually 1-2 years. Maybe buy from a retailer that offers a "lifetime" warranty? Doesn't VapeWorld do something like that for $50?

@blackstone, I just received confirmation that mine won't have the newer better battery :ugh: Apparently they aren't even in the country for another month so maybe this is just in Europe? All good, i'll enjoy it and then sell it and buy the better one when it's available! Can't go wrong getting a sweet deal from PIU!

Or maybe i'll just hold on to it until it goes tits up which is probably inevitable and then get a newer better one like the dude on instagram. Again, thanks for your awesome detective skills dude! :D

Top Bottom