Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Peggit

Recently got a crafty as my first vaporizer ever and am very pleased so far. I do not smoke and for that I didn't enjoy the devils lettuce more than once a month for years now, with periods of abstinence over 6 month every now and then.

As I read some of the negative stories on FC I'm curious how my Crafty will behave over time.

Astedra

The Crafty is my favorite vape, it works well solo, or group sessions. The chamber is not that big. perfect for a solo session, but if you have people, just pack it up twice. Is there any news on Crafty 2.0? My warranty is out and if it brake this time with over 60 hours on it, I'm out of the crafty. I'm thinking of buying a new one as the price dropped a little bit, but I would be upset if I buy one at the end of the year, and a few months later they come out with a new one. Probably if they make a new one we won' t hear about it until it's ready for release. Then again these guys haven't really updated the volcano for more then a decade well adding temp control, but the same design for ever. What works don't fix it I guess. I just with I wouldn't have to go through 5 replacements in the 2 year warranty period. I still love my crafty :)

There is no way to contact S&B in Oakland because on the website contact page there is no email.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
There is no way to contact S&B in Oakland because on the website contact page there is no email.
On the "Support" page, at the bottom, it says CONTACT SUPPORT and the email address that pops up is:

america@storz-bickel.com

I have used this address successfully in the past.
But I don't think they'll tell you if a new S&B product is coming through the pipeline!

blackstone

Is there any news on Crafty 2.0?

I was looking at that timeline thing on their site, and it looked like they have done something pretty major around every 6 years or so.
With the Crafty being a 2014 model, we should surely hope to see something in 2020!!!
But there is probably more demand for the next level than can be even coped with or met.
All I could get from asking them in January was that they always work on their stuff and they can't say if or when anything will be implemented, so it's probably true you won't get them to admit a new launch in an email to you!

And yes, I bet if we all went out and bought a Crafty, it's right then they would launch a new one lol.

Also, in the background of the timeline thing, is an updating photo of their new vaporizer factory.
The factory looks to be nearing completion, and four things came to mind when I saw this latest image.

1. It's design seems to protect the upper floors from prying eyes, possibly for secret developments oooh!
2. Is this new factory going to be the heralding of next generation products?
3. If this is the first factory ever for medical vapes, where were they made up till now?!
4. Why have they not given me a job yet?

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
The way the market has been moving, I wouldn't doubt if S&B started to introduce new designs/devices at a faster rate. I'm hoping the desktop range gets a update. I think the crafty has got to have a revision or replacement really soon. It has been the only weak link for S&B lineup.

manujoe

Yes, fine screen keeps more particles out of c/u.
It appears, from you photo, that your grind may be a little finer than necessary.
Since you've just received your Crafty, I'm gonna suggest that you try variations of grind/fill/dryness of herb/etc. It is true that the learning curve with Crafty is not steep, but still there are better ways and less-good ways to use it. Each time I have a new batch to put in (Mighty), I try to ascertain the optimal method of use for it (for me) and take a few of bowls to dial it in.
Filling should not be stressful or cause loss of terpenes, etc. Let it be a little cooler when you fill up.
It makes no sense to load the Crafty after you turned it on. Load first then turn on.
It does if you use the dosing capsules. Less smell and flavour lasts longer

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hey fellas! :wave: My Crafty reached 272 hours with original battery. :brow: I still get three 10-12 minute sessions on 180/195! I can't believe how great this little machine works.

Vape on!:sherlock:
Thanks for posting! It's not crazy, I'm glad to hear of your experience.

That's nuts! I have 18 hours on an OG Crafty (serial 1000's) and heatup time is 2:20 from 21-180!
You apparently have a Crafty with a 2 to 2-1/2 year old battery and older firmware in it.
Haven't Crafty's always taken over 2 minutes for that heatup range? My 4 units did, as I recall.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

I had to change the scale in order to include this one. Seems like your battery is about to give up the ghost. Your entry is rather easy to spot on the new chart:

Edit: I was baked and incorrectly entered the odometer number. Here is the corrected new chart:
jBgkx7x.jpg

:peace:

Here's the most recent chart from the Crafty Warmup Comparison Thread.
My first observation is that there is an anemia of data, only a couple of dozen reports on the chart.
I also see that the vast majority of the points are above the 120 (2 minute) mark.

biohacker

Not sure how up to date the chart is, or if you've even read through the thread (obviously not!). But a brand new Crafty heats up in less than 2 minutes, which was your question to begin with? :shrug:

A brand new Crafty is in the 1:45 range (or less) in case you're still :hmm: Your welcome for answering the question, providing you the link, and giving you my time. But keep continuing to pick arguments for "argument's" sake like in the other thread. Or just don't quote or refer to me please. :tup:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Okay, I won't quote you, not even the post where you told me your credibility is irrelevant.
But I did go and read the whole thread you directed me to, THANK YOU. All three pages of anemic data. And the chart that pointed to a confirmation of what I had said, as opposed to what you SEEMED TO HAVE made up. I had said nothing about a brand new Crafty heat up time, btw.

I responded with my opinion of the data presented. You're welcome.

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
Hi fellas!

Hours: 273 (original battery)
Version: 2.10
Ambient temperature: 24
Target temp: 180
Led: 100%
Vibration: On

Warm Up time 1st session: 2m24s (100%-68% battery)

Second session: 2m51s (68%-33%)

Third session: 3m26s (33%-0%)

I get three 10-12 minute sessions on 180/195 out of one charge, I always use the dosing capsules and a clean cooling unit (5-10 sessions then clean). Once a week or so I do a hard reset when the battery is 0% or near. I charge the Crafty when it's temp is under 100°C.

Last edited:

jvoltios

Hi there,

I recently bought a Crafty. I knew about the battery issues... not every single thing but kinda went for it anyway because I own a Plenty and it stills performs like day one after almost 2 years of every day use. I thought S&B products were the best and they were great with customer service. Then (stupid me) I did more research and lurked in this and other forums and read all those bad stories. I'm sure this might have been discussed, but how many hours of use can one expect? My firmware is 2.11. I vape just a pinch from Monday's to Friday's. Maybe less than half the oven at 185-195C. Just one session every day since I use my Plenty at nights. I use the spacer they provide, take 8-9 puffs and I'm good. I then set the main temperature to the minimum and turn it off. How many hours of use before my battery craps out? I swear sometimes I don't even wanna use it because I don't want to have to contact customer support. I live in Perú so I don't believe it would be that easy. Thanks in advance.

jvoltios,

biohacker

Welcome my Peruvian friend! Can you make a good ceviche? :tup:

You have nothing to fear! Wow I didn't know FW 2.11 was out! Awesome. With your light use I think you can expect a long life with your Crafty....they can go the distance, but ofcourse anything can happen with electronics, especially with this kind of heat involved. I think you should be good for over 100 hours easy, and based on your usage pattern, that should last a LONG time.

Don't worry about it man, you're covered with the warranty should it decide to shit, but honestly I think it's the best vape for you since you like your Plenty and S&B. Otherwise, you can always get a Mighty!

Welcome again to FC! Enjoy your stay! :rockon:

jvoltios

Thanks a lot. And ceviche may seem simple but it requires true skill to master, so no :lol:.

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying my best to take care of my unit and save battery life. Storz & Bickle suggests draining the battery fully before you charge it. Is this true for this newer model? I tend to charge it after two sessions. That means once every two days. As soon as I finish my session, I purposely set my temp to the minimum as to not stress the equipment beyond what's necessary. Is this ok or am I actually giving the battery more work by doing this?

Thanks again. Love the forum and your message really helped.

jvoltios,
Reactions: biohacker

biohacker

Always happy to help. I would not drain it fully. It's a li-ion battery and they do better topped up, but not for storing for protracted periods. Checkout batteryuniversity.com... storage is better not fully drained nor full topped up, think 40-60%, and try not to charge it when warm. Li-ion likes to be "topped up". You can get super anal about it, and our very own @OF is the battery expert on FC, you can find him in the Solo threads. As for setting the temp to the minimum, i'm not sure how that really helps. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you'll be okay, and the battery isn't super expensive like the Mighty, and you can DIY as well as long as you don't mind voiding the warranty. Might not be a bad idea to pickup a second hand for a backup. Cheers

OF

Li-ion likes to be "topped up". You can get super anal about it, and our very own @OF is the battery expert on FC, you can find him in the Solo threads.

Thank you (and the Academy), I feel humble to at long last be the poster child for being super at something, if only Mother could see it.......

Yes, 'ideal storage' is about 70% charge, which is why you should expect to get new ones that way. The one you get fully charged, or dead flat has already lost lifetime credits. More so if stored warm/hot.

However, I don't agree they should be routinely topped up, in fact just the opposite, Stopping charge 'a bit early' (say 10%) can double, yes double, the lifespan of the battery in 'cycles'. From a typical 300 to 600. IMO not a bad deal. It's in the Battery University stuff on the topic. I don't think it takes much thinking to decide if the Sales guys would like more uses per charge (run it to the wall and sell more batteries) or less (not that 'numbers sell' or anything.....and we don't care how many customers buy replacements, really).

I think we all know of a cell phone or laptop with terrible run time on batteries now? One that was left 'on charge and ready to go'? You know, 100% charged, all the time.....

So don't run them into the mud, and if you should promptly recharge, keep 'em cool and avoid topping up when you can and you should get your money's worth. So I advise charging 'em up when the time comes then promptly enjoying a bowl or two to avoid the fully charged battery problem. Your call.

Regards to all.

OF

biohacker

Yes, 'ideal storage' is about 70% charge, which is why you should expect to get new ones that way. The one you get fully charged, or dead flat has already lost lifetime credits. More so if stored warm/hot.

70% sounds a bit too high, Batteryuniversity says 40%.

S&B ships their portables fully charged. Those bastards! :lol:

Arizer is smarter than that! :brow:

OF

70% sounds a bit too high, Batteryuniversity says 40%.

S&B ships their portables fully charged. Those bastards! :lol:

Arizer is smarter than that! :brow:

70% is the top of the typical 'safe zone', 40% being the bottom. Self discharge will always lower it over time. 'Store at 40%' usually also comes with 'remove and recharge every six months', something a vape in storage or stock on shelves is not likely to get. The logical call is to start near the top end so you can stay in range, right?

40% often gets confused here since it's often used as the benchmark against performance at full charge. The idea is the safest, easiest, long term storage.

Basically all the top end 18650s I've bought from known good sources have come at the '2/3 to 3/4 level', and with a couple of exceptions same with vapes (a couple arrived on or standby with flat charge).

IMO getting one so charged 'out of the box' is a reassuring sign.

I recommend avoiding the extremes and storage at 'not yet full' charge. For sure avoid 'dead flat' and '100% charged, ready to go'......or plan on early replacement.

As always, your call.

OF

jvoltios

Holy vapor! Then everything I knew is wrong. Thank you for this information.

So basically to take good care of the battery I have to avoid extremes (0% or 100%) and charge it till it reaches 5 bars? (The app shows 6 bars when it's fully charged)... I wouldn't know any other method to measure when it's ready to unplug.

I don't mind paying attention to the charging process as long as it guarantees better battery life. So this is gold for me. Thanks.

Top Bottom