Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

jules172

Wellllllll...I'm wondering if I chose wrong. I was stuck between crafty and mighty. My vape arrives tomorrow. Do I need to do a return and send it back?? :( I know the battery times are not great but are they really failing soooo much?

jules172,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Well, my Crafty's been performing pretty poorly for quite a while now, taking ~3min to heat up and then recovery time between hits became poor as well. I finally decided to take the plunge. After much research, and thanks to @Vambo1980 as well as a post on Redit, I decided I was ready to get started with replacing the battery. I've ordered from NKON in the Netherlands 4 batteries with tabs already spot welded on. I ordered a Sony VCT6, 2 LG HG2, and a Panasonic NCR18650PF (the same one as in the Crafty). I also ordered what I think will be the right cable/connector so I don't have to remove/re-solder the existing battery cable. Might take a few weeks to get the batteries, but once they are in and I've attempted the replacement I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Shieldsab

Well, I've submitted an RMA request after about 1.5 years. I'd been using my Crafty alongside the Grasshopper recently, as there's something to be said for session vapes sometimes. I went to power on my Crafty to finish a session yesterday and it doesn't power on. The LED does something for the first few seconds after the vibration, the battery is charged, but it won't turn on connected to USB or not. So we'll see what happens in the next couple days.

Shieldsab,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Well, I've submitted an RMA request after about 1.5 years. I'd been using my Crafty alongside the Grasshopper recently, as there's something to be said for session vapes sometimes. I went to power on my Crafty to finish a session yesterday and it doesn't power on. The LED does something for the first few seconds after the vibration, the battery is charged, but it won't turn on connected to USB or not. So we'll see what happens in the next couple days.
Did you attempt a 'factory rest' by pressing and holding the power button for about ten seconds?
If it's going in for RMA, this might be a good time to request upgrade to the big brother.

Dreger_US

mighty's forum: conversations on accessories and overall joy

crafty's forum: battery issues and warranty info

what i noticed:
mighty designed to be a portable home/desktop vape, a work horse
crafty designed for lighter use with same tech. but being pushed to hard
(normaly purchased first due to price)

first owned a crafty (year plus), i now have two mighties
yes there's a noticeable performance difference between the two.
it dramatically makes the two very different vapes

Shieldsab

Did you attempt a 'factory rest' by pressing and holding the power button for about ten seconds?
If it's going in for RMA, this might be a good time to request upgrade to the big brother.
Yes, I tried both resetting with the app since it still connects, as well as the 10 seconds press of power. When they get back to me, I'll be asking about the upgrade for sure.

Mr. Me2

Wellllllll...I'm wondering if I chose wrong. I was stuck between crafty and mighty. My vape arrives tomorrow. Do I need to do a return and send it back?? :( I know the battery times are not great but are they really failing soooo much?
It's hard to know the % of failures. And I think it depends on how you plan to use it and how hard you will push it.

For me, I vape solo mostly and much prefer the smaller size of the Crafty. And the fact that it stands up makes a big difference for me (without needing to buy a stand). I know, weird...

My original Crafty did crap out and they sent me a new one. Took at least a couple weeks, but it was a "no questions asked" kind of thing. It does seem that many have upgraded to the Mighty (and you NEVER hear of regrets with that decision), but I think they are heavier hitters than me.

I will admit that my Crafty has been gathering dust since I got my grasshopper many months ago. I'm still on my gh honeymoon!

Hope this helps!

jules172

Mr. Me 2-- that's very helpful. I rma'ed the unopened Crafty and sourced a Mighty at the price I paid for the Crafty. Thanks Puffitup lol!! I wanted clouds with this one. Firefly and Pax are great for what they do...I wanted a heavier hitter lol.

I know you'll get me to try that Grasshopper sooner than later.

blackstone

what i noticed:
mighty designed to be a portable home/desktop vape, a work horse
crafty designed for lighter use with same tech. but being pushed to hard
(normaly purchased first due to price)

Yeah I was going to say this too, although you can still get cases like @Little Bill above that seemed to use the unit very reasonably and still suffered a failure.
But it does appear to be a small companion to the Mighty just for when you need something small, and it would likely suffer from heavy daily use, or using through water due to potential increased airflow and temperature?
That's why it's still so attractive to me though, as a Mighty owner!
I can't get this Crafty out of my head, even when there are cheaper viable AlternaTE-ives coming out now!!

It's hard to know the % of failures. And I think it depends on how you plan to use it and how hard you will push it.

For me, I vape solo mostly and much prefer the smaller size of the Crafty. And the fact that it stands up makes a big difference for me (without needing to buy a stand). I know, weird...

My original Crafty did crap out and they sent me a new one. Took at least a couple weeks, but it was a "no questions asked" kind of thing. It does seem that many have upgraded to the Mighty (and you NEVER hear of regrets with that decision), but I think they are heavier hitters than me.

I will admit that my Crafty has been gathering dust since I got my grasshopper many months ago. I'm still on my gh honeymoon!

Hope this helps!

And do you now need to use the Hopper through water, or do you use the rubber MP? Can both Ti or stainless be comfortable/ cool enough to lips?
And did you not need to use water with your Crafty?

Always wanted a GH too in theory, but I don't use water and I sometimes had trouble with a concept of the worlds smallest, discreet portable pen that really needs to be put through a glassware in your home.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yeah I was going to say this too, although you can still get cases like @Little Bill above that seemed to use the unit very reasonably and still suffered a failure.
But it does appear to be a small companion to the Mighty just for when you need something small, and it would likely suffer from heavy daily use, or using through water due to potential increased airflow and temperature?
That's why it's still so attractive to me though, as a Mighty owner!
I can't get this Crafty out of my head, even when there are cheaper viable AlternaTE-ives coming out now!!

And do you now need to use the Hopper through water, or do you use the rubber MP? Can both Ti or stainless be comfortable/ cool enough to lips?
And did you not need to use water with your Crafty?

Always wanted a GH too in theory, but I don't use water and I sometimes had trouble with a concept of the worlds smallest, discreet portable pen that really needs to be put through a glassware in your home.
I love the Mighty, and after 4 Crafty's I don't need to go back. I think the reality is, I'm a Crafty killer. I do love some high temps and water use, and I don't think Crafty can handle that as easily as Mighty. It is currently seeing about as much use (for me & wife) as our Hoppers are, depending on situation and mood. As a light use device, maybe Crafty is okay (and there have been improvements over time).

At the same time I am a Hopper lover. I use it with or without water, with or without silicone mp, hot or medium. It's not simply a small device trying to be a home unit. It is a very tasty convection toker. Even with the Hopper's recent price increase, it's just a little more than half of a Crafty price, so, if it were me, I'd go for 2 Hoppers as companions for Mighty. But that's not hypothetical; this is what I now have! Oh, and a Pax2 that rarely sees the light of day.

ChooChooCharlie

I have a crazy theory about users stressing the device beyond its design limits. Think I killed my first two Craftys. Came from a conduction portable that required slow, measured draws, with 20-30 sec heater recovery wait times between draws. Tried Crafty and loved the open draw and responsive heater.

Read that to avoid pressing button to reset the one minute time out, just draw harder and longer to force temp drop and its accompanying light change to red. Great, I thought, this vape just keeps getting better, it wants abuse. Eh, maybe not.

Now I draw when green and stop when red to avoid stressing the Crafty. Noticed longer green "at temp" durations with v2.10 over v2.07, so they tweaked the software well. I don't draw hard anymore, and enjoy it more. So easy on the diaphragm after feeling that somewhat tiring pull using the grasshopper.

Using a collection of vapes reduces stress on any one, and they may all last until the next must-have vape arrives.

chiefcombuster1

I thought I would post in case anyone is interest in the idea. I love the bullets they came out with, but what I hated was that it doesn't block herb from coming out of the bullet and making a mess. What I decided to do was take the screen out of my cooling unit, and I shoved a fine screen into the lid of the bullets. With a fine screen in the lid of a bullet, no herb ever gets out of the top. I smoke and the cooling unit stays clean(with no screen on it) aside from the resin buildup but there's very little plant matter. No plant pulls through the bullet this way. It also keeps the base unit chamber very clean. I hardly ever have to clean it.

I always clean when hot. The bullets in this fashion can be used 2-3 times before you should wipe the top of it down while hot, because it builds resin on top around the edge where it touches the cooling unit. Right after use while the bullet is still hot, I dump it onto a paper town and wipe all resin off very easily. I'll also give the bottom hole on cooling unit a quick wipe as it builds resin. When they're hot the resin wipes off so easily. Every once in a while I will wipe the base unit chamber while its still hot, but it doesn't need to often because it mostly stays clean.

I find this is the best way to use it to have to do minimal cleaning, and for efficiency of prepacked bullets. When I empty a bullet, i brush the screen on the lid to try to keep them clean. They last many uses so long as you clean the resin off the top every few uses, and brush the old herb off under the lid every so often. I only threw 1 out so far I made 6 a few months ago. Have enough screens and bullets to make many more.

hT9aTv

https://ibb.co/hT9aTv Sorry i cant understand how to make that picture just show like normal.

Last edited:

blackstone

^That screen in top of cap, and also with no CU screen is good idea!
Well done for imagining that!
I thought of a screen at the top of cap before but didn't think it would suit small loads but I know different now.
I think having the screen down in the oven makes it less likely to act as a condenser, and more likely to act like a pad, cotton or plant matter and pass the goodness upwards!

I love the Mighty, and after 4 Crafty's I don't need to go back. I think the reality is, I'm a Crafty killer. I do love some high temps and water use, and I don't think Crafty can handle that as easily as Mighty. It is currently seeing about as much use (for me & wife) as our Hoppers are, depending on situation and mood. As a light use device, maybe Crafty is okay (and there have been improvements over time).

At the same time I am a Hopper lover. I use it with or without water, with or without silicone mp, hot or medium. It's not simply a small device trying to be a home unit. It is a very tasty convection toker. Even with the Hopper's recent price increase, it's just a little more than half of a Crafty price, so, if it were me, I'd go for 2 Hoppers as companions for Mighty. But that's not hypothetical; this is what I now have! Oh, and a Pax2 that rarely sees the light of day.

Thanks very much for your answers. There's some worthwhile points there, and also @Mr. Me2 was able to PM me with more views on the Hopper so as not to distract the Crafty thread too much!
The only difference in my market is that the stainless Hopper is only US$38 cheaper than a Crafty, and plain Ti hopper is US$19 more than a Crafty. So it probably makes us have to think harder!
But if I ever want to try a Hopper I'll just have to suck that up. I know it works the opposite way for USA guys who want Alfa or other EU made vapes.

I have a crazy theory about users stressing the device beyond its design limits. Think I killed my first two Craftys. Came from a conduction portable that required slow, measured draws, with 20-30 sec heater recovery wait times between draws. Tried Crafty and loved the open draw and responsive heater.

Read that to avoid pressing button to reset the one minute time out, just draw harder and longer to force temp drop and its accompanying light change to red. Great, I thought, this vape just keeps getting better, it wants abuse. Eh, maybe not.

Now I draw when green and stop when red to avoid stressing the Crafty. Noticed longer green "at temp" durations with v2.10 over v2.07, so they tweaked the software well. I don't draw hard anymore, and enjoy it more. So easy on the diaphragm after feeling that somewhat tiring pull using the grasshopper.

Using a collection of vapes reduces stress on any one, and they may all last until the next must-have vape arrives.

Good points! we must keep an eye to the future releases too!
And it probably would have been easy for S&B to blame the owners rough use for Crafty failures, I know some companies who might do exactly that, but they stood by their deal, and have have not yet abandoned their belief in it or will still recommend it to anybody looking for a small unit, possibly combined with power bank.
They are still pretty confident that this is as good as it gets from one non user removable battery for now, in terms of battery tech and power management.

One thing I always found funny, is how disposable pen carts can have a draw sensor that senses every draw every time, but Expensive Crafty and Mighty are not sure what's drawing who?

VanCough

Environmentalist
Hi all,

I'm a mighty owner looking for advice.

I'm about to contact S&B to send my Mighty back as it's coming to the end of my 2 year warranty and I want to make sure I have the best condition vaporiser heading into the future with no warranty.

I've heard that sometimes S&B will simply send a brand new model back, which would be good for me as I have one of the original models missing certain software and hardware features.

I'm hoping some of you here can offer advice on how to get the most of S&B and what to say in my RMA request?

Peace :peace:

VanCough

VanCough,

hinglemccringleberry

Hi all,

I'm about to contact S&B to send my Mighty back as it's coming to the end of my 2 year warranty and I want to make sure I have the best condition vaporiser heading into the future with no warranty.

I've heard that sometimes S&B will simply send a brand new model back, which would be good for me as I have one of the original models missing certain software and hardware features.

I'm hoping some of you here can offer advice on how to get the most of S&B and what to say in my RMA request?

VanCough
Why not just tell them exactly what you posted here? That's what I would do. IDK of any other way to try and ensure that they send you a new one.

hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: vapviking

VanCough

Environmentalist
Thanks for the advice @mccringleberry that's probably what I'll do. I just know some of you here have dealt with the process and may have picked up some useful information along the way so figured I'd ask before submitting.

VanCough,

hinglemccringleberry

I didn't think they would even let owners do a warranty exchange on a unit that isn't broken. If they do, then I see no reason to make stuff up, lol. Ask about this in the Mighty thread too.

hinglemccringleberry,

DarkSm0ke

Anyone have a good recommendation for base temperature and boost temperature for the crafty using the liquid dosing capsules for wax, and how much wax to use? I usually use a rice sized piece in my Sai or DT3 atomizer.

stereo420

Hi all,

VanCough

I sent in my 1.5 year old Crafty to Oakland last month. The heat up time was becoming a drag and it had a hairline fracture near the bowl opening. The fracture wasnt really a problem but it bothered me (cosmetically). The battery was overheating as well so i used this as the RMA reason. Not the fracture, not the heat up time (a sign of the batteries reaching the end of their life). They sent me a new Crafty and it was like Christmas in February. The RMA reason is the difference between paying for new batteries for your Mighty or getting a new one for free.

Mr Mellish

I sent in my 1.5 year old Crafty to Oakland last month. The heat up time was becoming a drag and it had a hairline fracture near the bowl opening. The fracture wasnt really a problem but it bothered me (cosmetically). The battery was overheating as well so i used this as the RMA reason. Not the fracture, not the heat up time (a sign of the batteries reaching the end of their life). They sent me a new Crafty and it was like Christmas in February. The RMA reason is the difference between paying for new batteries for your Mighty or getting a new one for free.

Exactly my experience. With a month left on my warranty, I put in an rma for heat-up time. They told me to send it in. The period of time between the receipt notice and the ship notice was not enough to support a thorough diagnosis. I guess paying the S&B premium has its benefits. Night and day difference between that support and the ESV support. I'm loving the brand new Crafty and dosing capsule.

ktmstick

No, warranty runs from date on your original purchase invoice. There is someone (Crafty or mighty owner) here who has it in writing that it starts from the 1st warranty application but that doesn't make sense to me.

This is the email I received when querying the warranty.

"Dear Michael Brewis,

Thank you for your message.

Our warranty is as follows:

CRAFTY and MIGHTY Vaporizer – 2 years

The warranty starts with the date of purchase of your genuine Storz & Bickel Vaporizer. The proof of warranty for your vaporizer is your invoice. We do not have an extra warranty card in the box and you do not have to register for it. If you ever are in need of any service please follow the link below and fill out the form provided:

http://www.storz-bickel.com/service

For further information please refer to our General Terms and Conditions of Sale and Delivery.

We hope this information is of assistance for you.

Please contact us if you have more questions.

Kind regards,

Verkauf / Sales"

Dusks

Hi,
first thanks for all the good advices i got across this forum, i'm writing today because i just bought a Crafty and i'm trying to connect it to my phone, whan i enter the ID the "save" button cant be clicked, and so i cant use the app at all. My iphone is a 3gs with 6.2, i know some ppl say it doesnt work before iphone 4s but, its not specified anywhere, the terms of the app say ios 6.1 and more and i can install the app and see the device in my iphone bluetooth settings, also, i've read on the itunes crafty app page that a bunch of ppl have the same exact problem. Anyway it seem to me like a glitch from the last update but if anyone know what's going on i'd be gratefull for your help :)

Oh and, did you guys made your crafty heat up empty to clean the factory residue like some ppl say on youtube or not? i kinda think its not a good idea because its designed to work filled and the big manual doesnt say to do that at all so i might not do it, but i'm curious to know if anyone actually did that or not.

Last edited:
Dusks,

JRyan

i cant use the app at all. My iphone is a 3gs with 6.2, i know some ppl say it doesnt work before iphone 4s but, its not specified anywhere, the terms of the app say ios 6.1 and more and i can install the app and see the device in my iphone bluetooth settings, also, i've read on the itunes crafty app page that a bunch of ppl have the same exact problem. Anyway it seem to me like a glitch from the last update but if anyone know what's going on i'd be gratefull for your help :)

The device must support BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). The first Apple mobile device to support BLE was the iPhone 4s.

Storz & Bickel FAQ said:
In order for the Crafty to connect to the Crafty Remote Control App, your smartphone has to run on Android or iOS and support Bluetooth Low Energy.

https://www.storz-bickel.com/shop_us/en/support/

Oh and, did you guys made your crafty heat up empty to clean the factory residue like some ppl say on youtube or not? i kinda think its not a good idea because its designed to work filled and the big manual doesnt say to do that at all so i might not do it, but i'm curious to know if anyone actually did that or not.

I perform 'dry' runs on all new equipment. I'll then perform a quick wipe down with 99% ISO.

JRyan,
Reactions: Dusks

Dusks

The device must support BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). The first Apple mobile device to support BLE was the iPhone 4s.

I perform 'dry' runs on all new equipment. I'll then perform a quick wipe down with 99% ISO.

I see, that explain why it wont work, then, do you happend to know if a windows android emulator would work with my pc bluetooth(say it has BLE) to control the crafty?

Alright, the seller didnt tell me to buy alcohol so i cant do that right now, ill just go without it.
Thanks a lot for the quick answer :)

Dusks,
Top Bottom