Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
Hi, @Little Bill

A Happy 74th!

A Senior convert, by a septuagenarian! Congrats!

Was it medicinal, I wonder, or did you find happiness in a centuries old tradition.:sherlock:

At any rate, welcome to FC, hope you don't get caught up in the VAS maelstrom. It's fun.:ugh:

BTW! Youth is a state of mind. & with a good Vape, one can't fail.

Thanks to all you nice folks who welcome me. Stark1, my usage, while not legal in my state is driven by both medicinal (arthritis aches and pains) reasons and also recreational reasons. I don't usually drink any form of alcohol, but the MJ gives me a nice buzz equivalent to a couple or a few drinks.

I don't plan to get caught up in the VAS maelstrom; but I make no promises. I have been reading the FF2 thread and that might get me.

Thanks again for the welcomes.

Little Bill

Mr. Me2

Thanks to all you nice folks who welcome me. Stark1, my usage, while not legal in my state is driven by both medicinal (arthritis aches and pains) reasons and also recreational reasons. I don't usually drink any form of alcohol, but the MJ gives me a nice buzz equivalent to a couple or a few drinks.

I don't plan to get caught up in the VAS maelstrom; but I make no promises. I have been reading the FF2 thread and that might get me.

Thanks again for the welcomes.

Little Bill
If you allow yourself to be tempted by the ff2, you may want to read the grasshopper thread too! I'll add that the gh is a great companion to the Crafty to keep this thread on track...

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
Mr.Me2 thanks for the suggestion. The gh is on my reading list after the ff2, but the crafty is truly meeting my vaping needs. I am worried about long term reliability though. That is why I turned all vibration off on the crafty and am being diligent about cleaning and charging regimens. I may buy another vape for backup. The 17 days without vaping (partly my own fault) in December was too long. My first session with the new vape got me to at least a 5-6 high.

Little Bill,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
Mr.Me2 thanks for the suggestion. The gh is on my reading list after the ff2, but the crafty is truly meeting my vaping needs. I am worried about long term reliability though. That is why I turned all vibration off on the crafty and am being diligent about cleaning and charging regimens. I may buy another vape for backup. The 17 days without vaping (partly my own fault) in December was too long. My first session with the new vape got me to at least a 5-6 high.

You can turn off the vibration function on the crafty??

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
You can turn off the vibration function on the crafty??

Last unassembled factory unit discussed had push on tabs to connect the battery to the logic board. I figure that repetitive vibration would not be good for those tabs or maybe even solder joints. It also saves a bit on battery use.

edit: I did leave the leds on but minimum brightness setting.

Little Bill,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
Last unassembled factory unit discussed had push on tabs to connect the battery to the logic board. I figure that repetitive vibration would not be good for those tabs or maybe even solder joints. It also saves a bit on battery use.

edit: I did leave the leds on but minimum brightness setting.

Hey Bill! My experience is different! I never turned off the vibration and the lights are mostly on 100% in my Craftys. I had 4 of the little beasts and I never realised a change in battery power...lights on or off. My current unit has 222 hours on the clock and gives me still three 10-13 minutes sessions per charge. Vape on and enjoy your crafty. If it fails, S&B will take care, they always sent me a new unit within 5 days.

DarkSm0ke

A standard pipe screen is wider than the diameter of the Crafty oven. By cutting a wedge out (so the remainder looks like pac man) and pulling the ends together reduces its diameter to better fit the oven.

Plus the cone shape gives it depth to better act as a spacer. And I've found this cone shape makes it easier to insert and remove...no tools needed!

I don't know if you've tried a pax, but some (me included) have used a folded screen to act as a spacer. For me it's for mostly the same reasons (easier to manage than a screen cut to size).

Hope this helps and answers your questions!

Ahh, IC! Okay I understand now. I visualized a longer cone. Yeah it all makes sense now. I do have a pax 2 (it is out of rotation), and never used the screen trick, although I have seen places online selling "oven reducers". I might have to try that :). Thanks again @Mr. Me2 !

DarkSm0ke,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
Hey Bill! My experience is different! I never turned off the vibration and the lights are mostly on 100% in my Craftys. I had 4 of the little beasts and I never realised a change in battery power...lights on or off. My current unit has 222 hours on the clock and gives me still three 10-13 minutes sessions per charge. Vape on and enjoy your crafty. If it fails, S&B will take care, they always sent me a new unit within 5 days.

I like the name Crafty Vaper! I know that S&B has good service; but my two years warranty will be up in 6 months. Because my usage is light any failure will likely happen after that. I just want that time frame to be as long as possible. The fact that you have had 4 of the little beasts in two years just proves my point.

stereo420

I sent out my 1.5 year old Crafty to S&B for the first time due to the battery overheating warning showing up at the end of the first session (roughly 10 mins.) I received an email today saying my RMA is closed and that I would receive a tracking # when the device was shipped out.

I guess my question is: how good of a chance do I have of receiving a brand new Crafty? Id honestly hate to receive my funky old Crafty with new batteries.

hinglemccringleberry

Late to the party here but to get this straight, does the data confirm that there's basically a 100% failure rate for rhe Crafty? Even for new units purchased today? Did s&b come up w/ a real fix or do they just have a service bulletin based on planned obsolescence and repeated warranty fixes?

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
Late to the party here but to get this straight, does the data confirm that there's basically a 100% failure rate for rhe Crafty? Even for new units purchased today? Did s&b come up w/ a real fix or do they just have a service bulletin based on planned obsolescence and repeated warranty fixes?

I have read this entire thread and I don't recall any service bulletin being discussed. I don't think anyone has disassembled a recently manufactured unit to see if any changes have been made. It makes sense that S&B has some kind of ongoing QA program. My first unit lasted 17 months with 41 hours on the clock. I'm now putting about an hour a week on the new unit. Best case after warranty is up would be having to replace the battery at some point if nothing else fails.

Mr Mellish

I sent out my 1.5 year old Crafty to S&B for the first time due to the battery overheating warning showing up at the end of the first session (roughly 10 mins.) I received an email today saying my RMA is closed and that I would receive a tracking # when the device was shipped out.

I guess my question is: how good of a chance do I have of receiving a brand new Crafty? Id honestly hate to receive my funky old Crafty with new batteries.

I had a 23 month old Crafty with miserable heat-up times. They sent me a brand new one with all the goodies.

ligi

ligi
My warranty also enters month #23 soon ( 98h currently / 3rd device - working hard to put some more hours on it :) - how have your heat-up times been? Also has anyone tried after the 24 months? I think legally I should have 25 as one month it has been shipped around for RMA reasons and AFAIK the device needs to be working in your hands for 24 Months - but I am also not keen on wasting time talking to lawyers ..

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My warranty also enters month #23 soon ( 98h currently / 3rd device - working hard to put some more hours on it :) - how have your heat-up times been? Also has anyone tried after the 24 months? I think legally I should have 25 as one month it has been shipped around for RMA reasons and AFAIK the device needs to be working in your hands for 24 Months - but I am also not keen on wasting time talking to lawyers ..
I've never corroborated this further, but I have an email from S&B that answers a question I had asked (well over a year ago) re; exactly when my warranty began. Contrary to all other stated policy and other reports, this email tells me that my 2 year warranty coverage BEGAN on the day S&B first received my original unit in for its first warranty service. The email gives the date-certain that this happened, and that date is about 2+ months later than my purchase and receipt dates. I think it's coming up in March this year but the Mighty just keeps on truckin', so it doesn't seem I'll ever get to test this warranty date thing. Mighty was an upgrade after 4th crafty and is now a bit over 15 months old.

vapviking,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

zenmasterofzinfandel

3X have had Crafty units fail in 1yr, 1st @around 35hrs or so, next 72hrs, most recent <60hrs...was working fine for about a month after I let it sit in the jar pictured with the molecular sieve (not sure if this particular MS can absorb ISO, but there are MS that can) for 10days. Lucky for me I live near enough to IMPAK, that I could get single packets of MS for not much money. They do sell a MS that has blue indicator to tell you when the MS is saturated, but you have to buy min quantity, something like $25.

I dropped two 1oz packets into the glass jar that I sealed with duct tape, left most in packets, some spilled that you can see @bottom.
Crafty-mol-sieve by zenmasterofzinfandel, on Flickr

My suspicion this time, is electronics overheated to the point of damage. The only time I decide to not use the app, and just go by the LED lights...should have used the app as I thought I had a full charge, but in reality forgot to charge it when it got down to 1 bar status (but before getting low battery warning)...then it stopped and I checked to see the battery was completely discharged on the app, lol. Put it on charge, 1+hrs later it showed fully charged (which is wrong, since it takes 2+hrs on a fully discharged battery). Next time I tried to start it, pushed button, got red power light on the LED, app connects very temporarily> red LED goes out. No power, cannot get the app to establish a connection with the Crafty. Sent in RMA request. If only S-B would redesign this unit, using a cooler running Samsung battery, maybe the electronics would last longer :(

zenmasterofzinfandel,

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
3X have had Crafty units fail in 1yr, 1st @around 35hrs or so, next 72hrs, most recent <60hrs...was working fine for about a month after I let it sit in the jar pictured with the molecular sieve (not sure if this particular MS can absorb ISO, but there are MS that can) for 10days. Lucky for me I live near enough to IMPAK, that I could get single packets of MS for not much money. They do sell a MS that has blue indicator to tell you when the MS is saturated, but you have to buy min quantity, something like $25.

I dropped two 1oz packets into the glass jar that I sealed with duct tape, left most in packets, some spilled that you can see @bottom.

My suspicion this time, is electronics overheated to the point of damage. The only time I decide to not use the app, and just go by the LED lights...should have used the app as I thought I had a full charge, but in reality forgot to charge it when it got down to 1 bar status (but before getting low battery warning)...then it stopped and I checked to see the battery was completely discharged on the app, lol. Put it on charge, 1+hrs later it showed fully charged (which is wrong, since it takes 2+hrs on a fully discharged battery). Next time I tried to start it, pushed button, got red power light on the LED, app connects very temporarily> red LED goes out. No power, cannot get the app to establish a connection with the Crafty. Sent in RMA request. If only S-B would redesign this unit, using a cooler running Samsung battery, maybe the electronics would last longer :(

I am resetting my Crafty once a week (turn the unit on and press the button for 10 seconds, all lights will show up and the crafty is resetted) , I think it helps. My Crafty has 230 hours on the clock and is still doing great! Three sessions 10to13 minutes each one on default temperature (180 and 195).
Vape on!

Crafty Vaper,

vapviking

Old & In the Way

If I understand correctly, you put it in this torture chamber to get it to fail, then get a new one? ;)

vapviking,

Vambo1980

Which Samsung battery runs cooler than the Panasonic PF? All high drain Samsungs run hot hot hot no?

Vambo1980,

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
Well maybe VAS will claim another FC member.

I do love my Crafty. It is so easy to use and to keep clean. I usually clean it while it is cooling. I never pack it full or too tight. The ABV is normally medium dark brown. I put the concentrate spacer on top of the flower load. I put in a clean spacer about twice as often as I clean the cooling tower.

The draw is easy, smooth, and tasty. Sometimes I hit it so hard and fast that the vapor and mouthpiece get warm. Because of the limited battery life, you are encouraged to draw hard and keep session time to a minimum.

I have been micro-dosing and with a fully charged battery can get 6 sessions lasting about 5 minutes each and consuming .007 gm per session.

Having said all that I still want to try a vape on demand portable so I can medicate more slowly. I also am interested in a vape that I can sip on without worrying about battery life. Even better if I can find one unit that will be good for both.

Some of you Crafty owners must have other vapes that you can compare and contrast that would complement the Crafty. I have read this entire thread and a few others and I have money to spend. I just need some guidance please.

cloudsosmoke

@Little Bill

have you tried butane vapes?

(tho butane usually means approx zero stealth)

there are more experienced FC members than me whod have more/better advice

cloudsosmoke,
Top Bottom