Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Chandler

i'm in the theatre watching Suicide Squad. fully charged crafty. died during the third session. I was a bit disapointed, but the movie was alomost. 2.5 sessions though?? i don't usually have this problem, normally i'd get 3 - 4 solid sessions. i charge most times after the second session..
i do understand however, total vape time was probably a solid 35 - 40 mins.
Depending on the material, one can enjoy some pretty long sessions with Crafty. this is why people only get 2 sessions and cry about it, i believe....

Battery issues and my love for vaping is what lead to the necessary b/u butane vape. my torch will outlast any battery by dozens of sessions. drawbacks: torch is to conspicuous in public settings like a movie theatre.

Chandler,

flyfishwino

Honest answer... I don't know. I have an external charger and have only used that. I have 3 batteries and am in constant rotation. It's the only way to go...
So would you the mighty be a better fit for home yet only considering crafty issues?
Then go with the GH for traveling around. Does it really take a year to get one delivered as I wax reading on he shipping forum?
Reading this, the GH and FF2 forums. Seems to be a bunch of production issues for all of these units. Tough to make a decision when seeing all the problems.

flyfishwino,

Mr Mellish

My Crafty will hit two years in December. I've had zero issues (aside from slow heat-up and poor battery life.) Mine has been solid but probably has less than 40 hours on it (can't check right now). I would extrapolate from my experience that a heavy user would be disappointed with the Crafty. Light users would probably love it.

Thcgos

Vape Addict
Does the GH work when charging?

Yes it does.
But as @Mr. Me2 mentioned, I too use external battery charger, it's the best way to go.
1+ batteries constantly on charge whilst rotating batteries.

I also love my grasshopper, but to be honest I still love my crafty more.
If I had to choose only one it would be the crafty.

Although the GH shines in different areas, I couldn't handle it as my only primary portable. Each to their own.

FYI:
Had 1 GH die on me after 2 months of minimal use and I'm still on my original 1st crafty (~50 hours).

Mr. Me2

So would you the mighty be a better fit for home yet only considering crafty issues?
Then go with the GH for traveling around. Does it really take a year to get one delivered as I wax reading on he shipping forum?
Reading this, the GH and FF2 forums. Seems to be a bunch of production issues for all of these units. Tough to make a decision when seeing all the problems.
It seems that the Crafty issues have died down, based on a big drop off of posts here. Many people on fc have upgraded from the Crafty to the Mighty, and I never read of regrets for those who have. I think the choice depends on your intended use. If you're a heavy user or will likely share with others, the Mighty may be a better fit. But to some, size matters. Also, some prefer a self contained unit (Mighty), and others don't mind the use of an app (I never need the app).

I still love my Crafty and don't need the extra battery life of the Mighty. Plus I prefer the smaller size and that it will stand upright.

But I'm still on my gh honeymoon. I just love this thing. For me, it suits my vaping style perfectly (one-and-done). If it was 100% reliable, it would be my one and only, if I had to pick. But Crafty does taste better. I'm just less enthused about session style vaping, even though it tastes great and is so easy to use. I've barely touched my other vapes since I got my gh. I'm sure that will change.

The timeline for delivery from preorder for the gh is still close to a year, but I believe (hope?) that will change and shorten quite a bit in the near future. And if you don't preorder, who knows if the price or (lifetime) warranty will change. I really think it comes down to vaping style. If you're a convection fan, I suggest adding a gh to your lineup. But there's always room for a Crafty too.

TheVaporist

Man is a universe within himself
It seems that the Crafty issues have died down

Don't summon the Kraken Mr. Me2!
Right after reading your message my crafty was acting weird (not kidding)!
The heating blinking was quick (like the empty battery one) and the crafty went directly on the boost temp and would not stop on the base temp, no matter what, it was stuck on boost (and max temp as intended) and after a full cycle of discharge/charge it was back to normal...

So beware of the Kraken fellow craftyer :evil:

On another dark side, the battery meter isn't calibrated, when the crafty app or the libi one say 0%, I can do another warm-up and a quick pull before he died :) And I've noticed the same thing with my previous one.
Although, some overheating was invited in the party recently, I don't know where they came from! :p

So far my 9 month old 2.10 Crafty is at 111 hours so far, using it on 190\210 all the time ;)

Mr. Me2

The heating blinking was quick (like the empty battery one) and the crafty went directly on the boost temp and would not stop on the base temp, no matter what, it was stuck on boost (and max temp as intended) and after a full cycle of discharge/charge it was back to normal...

On another dark side, the battery meter isn't calibrated, when the crafty app or the libi one say 0%, I can do another warm-up and a quick pull before he died :) And I've noticed the same thing with my previous one.
Although, some overheating was invited in the party recently, I don't know where they came from! :p

So far my 9 month old 2.10 Crafty is at 111 hours so far, using it on 190\210 all the time ;)
I swear! I didn't mean to tempt the fates, Kraken or otherwise...

Kingly

My Crafty just broke again, press the button and it goes red, vibrates then turns off. I can keep pressing the button and it will do this every time. I cant charge it, I put the cable in and it cycles through green, red, blue. Maybe it will blow up.

This one lasted 7 months.

Last edited:
Kingly,

vapviking

Old & In the Way

When it misbehaves that way, with temp spiking and light flashing, try a 'factory reset' to default settings by holding the power button on for 10 seconds.

Mr. Me2

My Crafty just broke again, press the button and it goes red, vibrates then turns off. I can keep pressing the button and it will do this every time. I cant charge it, I put the cable in and it cycles through green, red, blue. Maybe it will blow up.

This one lasted 7 months.
Does the app notify you of a problem (when mine crapped out, the app basically confirmed it).

ligi

ligi
FYI: the crafty never pulls more than 1A even on a power-bank that can deliver 2.1A - this info might be useful to users that want to buy some power-bank for their crafty

QmaYCGJtr4x42cVRvQdZikbUTQsCQe35iHVxXWWpMZzFsR

TheVaporist

Man is a universe within himself
FYI: the crafty never pulls more than 1A even on a power-bank that can deliver 2.1A - this info might be useful to users that want to buy some power-bank for their crafty

I've noticed the same recently, that's sad for us!
Your USB meter is really cool, I must buy one now I see it :p

TheVaporist,

Vambo1980

Check your cable and the USB pins on the monitor that are made from China tin foil. They are very cheap and are usually the problem. My Crafty pulls around 1.5A sometimes a little more if it's completely flat. Charge current is constant until near the end of charge, when it switches to constant voltage charging. Other times it will slow the charge is if battery temp is above the set point. If battery is too hot then it will not charge at all.

UnshavenFish

Like @Vambo1980 i also get 1.5A, think I've seen 1.7A but can't find my pics right now, working on emptying my crafty to check :science:

Just a random thought...is the cable your using (non OEM) rated for 2A? I know you know your stuff but the cable is often overlooked at times when charging (myself included)

:2c: :peace:

ligi

ligi
@Vambo1980 @UnshavenFish thanks for your values! Just trying with another cable / source and get the same values as before - so this shiny new meter seems to be the problem ( or my crafty ) - cannot iterate fast on these measurements as I do not want to drain the crafty in vain ..-)
Will cut open one usb cable and use my multi-meter next ;-)

InspireAndAdmire

I've posted this in the other thread (FF2). I'm working 24/7, busy to even have a second to myself so I am unable to read through these pages yet.

I'm willing to purchase a high end vape. Air, Crafty, PAX2, or FF2.

Are the issues with the crafty fixed yet? Battery, internal issues still being a problem?

InspireAndAdmire,

rustyman

I'm having issues with my crafty. The battery life was really wonky for the past week. Full charge dying after a single session.

Now, it doesn't work at all. When I plug it in, I see the red/green light flashing like it usually does when you plug it in but charging light doesnt come on. And if I try to turn it on while plugged in, red light comes on for about a second.

App still connects and doesn't say anything and shows 1 bar charge. Is this busted?

rustyman,

Bad Ocelot

I've posted this in the other thread (FF2). I'm working 24/7, busy to even have a second to myself so I am unable to read through these pages yet.

Are the issues with the crafty fixed yet? Battery, internal issues still being a problem?

I haven't had any issues with my crafty, though I haven't had it all that long (since early May). Think I'm coming up on the 30hr mark. No battery issues, still getting 3-4 sessions per charge. I don't use it every day (probably 4-6 days per week) so take that into consideration. I also practice an arguably neurotic amount of battery maintenance as well, ha (not leaving it fully charged or on a very low charge for long periods, generally trying to keep it about 80% charged, no back to back sessions, etc). If you're going to be using it a lot it might be worth considering the Mighty as I've read that stands up better to heavy usage. Though if you aren't going to be using it multiple times per day & want something more portable/discreet, I think the crafty is a great choice. I really like the dosing capsules & magazine that are available for several S&B products also. Super convenient way to have your vape always at the ready.

Mr. Me2

I have 2 of the 4 you list (pax2 and Crafty) and also have followed the ff2. Having said that, people seem to love the air.

Regarding the Crafty, gauging by postings on fc, the warranty claims and S&B customer service issues seem to have died down. Having said that, you'll notice the post after yours is a Crafty performance issue. And my 1st Crafty died before one year of light to moderate use. But S&B replaced it with a new one; no problem but the time being without.

Your choice in part will depend on your planned/preferred use. You probably know the ff2 is pure convection, the Crafty is blended and the others are conduction. All are session vapes except for the ff2. And the ff2 has been described as driving a car with manual transmission where the others are automatic.

I think the pax2 and Crafty are both worthy of adding to a collection and keeping in rotation. I think the pax2 has the best warranty and reliability. And best battery life. Ff2 requires stirring between pulls (not every time, I think).

You should also consider flavor, maintenance,... What am I leaving out?

I know I'm not giving the Air it's due. I just don't have experience with it. But it's very popular, apparently very reliable, and people seem to love it. I'm sure someone will chime in on that one.

An easy place to get info and compare is to read Buzz Danklin's reviews or watch his videos (vaporizerwizard.com). He does comparisons and rankings too. I generally like Vape Critic too.

Good luck!

Mods / Stu - i just saw Stu's post on the ff2 thread (I think) about moving vape comparisons to ask fc. I think this one is related. Can you move it with the others, if appropriate? Thx!

Top Bottom