Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

LukeMLH

Do you get good airflow drawing on the unit when it's empty/off??

Also maybe check the CoolingUnit... Disassemble/reassemble

Although how is your ABV at the end of your session?
It should be a deep even brown :)

Something very very odd has happened.

My Crafty seems to get better with every single use.

From my 3rd/4th session the overheating wasn't as bad, then it stopped completely.

I also am getting significantly more vapor each time!

In a couple days, my vapor should be on point.

I wonder why this is though...

And to answer your question, the AVB is generally a brown colour but some sessions its goldy brown.

I feel I get fully medicated each time, even right from the start with the overheating issues.

LukeMLH,

GenericUsername

I got my crafty yesterday and tried it out, worked pretty decently. Granted, I put in very little material as I'm a lightweight.

I'm new to vapes, but it says it highly recommends packing the chamber full to produce the best quality. So my question is, is it like a traditional pipe where if you were to pack it fuller you'd simply be 'wasting' the extra material (since I don't want to use it all obv). Or will it only "vaporize" enough for what I need and I can re-use that filled chamber multiple times without having to reload it.

ChooChooCharlie

Hi @GenericUsername ,
From what I've read, most choose to finish in a session what they put in.
I've split a bowl between two sessions, but only when interrupted.

The dosing capsules may be a good fit for your usage patterns, in two different ways:
  1. Easy to limit your dose. Fluffy almost filled capsule is about tenth of a gram, 0.1g. Session is over quickly, couple minutes. No need to wait between draws like most portables.
  2. Or, fill/pack the capsule for 0.15g or more. Dump capsule out onto safe surface when you want to take a break. This way your load is removed from the hot chamber and minimizes loss during the break.
I probably sound like a sales rep for S&B, but hopefully you can spend about $30 for a spare cooling unit, magazine of eight capsules, and spare O-ring seals. (free shipping over $25)

GenericUsername

Thanks for the reply @ChooChooCharlie

What's the advantage of buying a dosing capsule, as opposed to filling it with the same amount then using the liquid pad to fill the space?

Additionally, is there a reason to but a spare cooling unit other than needing something to buy that will trigger the $25/free shipping offer?

ktmstick

Spare cooling unit is handy to have. I love the dosing capsules. The oven on my mighty still looks brand new. I feel I have more control over the amount I put in using the dosing capsules. I'm not a heavy user and probably only have 4-5 sessions a day totaling 0.15g per day. 1g lasts me about a week. I part fill the dosing capsules, liquid pad on top, no lid and insert the capsule UPSIDE DOWN. I do not like pulling vapour through liquid pad as I feel it loses alot of taste.

ChooChooCharlie

What's the advantage of buying a dosing capsule, as opposed to filling it with the same amount then using the liquid pad to fill the space?

Additionally, is there a reason to but a spare cooling unit other than needing something to buy that will trigger the $25/free shipping offer?

You're welcome. And welcome to FC. A welcoming place.

I have a goal. It is bliss. The bliss from attaining the enlightened state of pure OCD laziness.

For me, using capsules is easier, faster, and neater than the liquid pad method:
  • liquid pads get sticky, harder to clean and dry
  • pads are more difficult to load on the go, or at home in a rush for that dose
  • they are a more difficult to remove from bowl, and become frayed
The extra cooling unit lets you swap in a new cooling unit now. No waiting to clean. Nice!

Now, a cynic would respond like this:
"Just wait for a few RMA replacements to get the extra CUs for free."
Fortunately, this forum is cynic-free.

@ktmstick - I was with you until the end of your post. A bit messy for my taste.
Also, the inverted cap can get wedged into bowl because of its shape.
But whatever works for you -- find your own bliss.

Mr. Me2

Welcome @GenericUsername !

I haven't tried the dosing caps, and started using the liquid pad as a spacer (I recommend only filling the Crafty with what you will finish in a single session).

But I'm not a fan of the liquid pad. In its place try using a traditional pipe screen as a spacer. Cut a wedge out of the pipe screen so it looks like pac man. Then pull the 2 edges together to form a cone shape. Then press that into the oven on top of your partial load. It works great!

And I do recommend having at least one extra cu. that way you can rotate and always have your Crafty ready to go while you're cleaning the others.

cloudsosmoke

i got mighty c/u recently for crafty (it fits)

not bad atall - certainly worth trying IMO

maybe that could be your spare c/u

..you could see if you can taste the difference with a slightly longer vapor path

as an added bonus it means crafty can now use
delta studios water adapter that replaces top half of mighty c/u
(which seems to be the preferred one..)

edit
not that crafty really needs any water
.. but i guess most ppl have to find that one out the hard way lol

Last edited:

Bad Ocelot

I really like the dosing capsules as well. I know people have used bubble hash in the crafty, typically with the liquid pad or on top of or sandwiched in some flower, has anyone used bubble hash in the capsules? Wanna try that the next time I get some bubble, thinking i'll probably do the reefer-hash-reefer sandwich method in the capsule as the liquid pads won't fit in there. Thoughts?

Bad Ocelot,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I really like the dosing capsules as well. I know people have used bubble hash in the crafty, typically with the liquid pad or on top of or sandwiched in some flower, has anyone used bubble hash in the capsules? Wanna try that the next time I get some bubble, thinking i'll probably do the reefer-hash-reefer sandwich method in the capsule as the liquid pads won't fit in there. Thoughts?
I know nothing about bubble hash, but I can tell you that SB sells smaller oil pads that fit in the dosing caps

greenextinguisher

Last week I packed all of my capsules with just a pinch of material. I've since gone through a few of them and overall it worked really well. Not the knock-you-on-your-ass-with-endless-huge-hits experience that the crafty is capable of, but four really nice hits at 365 and two small ones on 385. The only downside I really noticed is that material is free to move around and more of it works its way out of the capsule onto the CU screen. A quick brushing cleans it right off. I'm sure a liquid pad remedies that, if you have that sort of patience.

Great use case for the capsules. Turns this mega-sessioner into a very convenient quick-hitter, if you have a few minutes to warm it up.

flyfishwino

So I've been following all the most recent posts and pages.
I'm on the fence between the Crafty and the FF2.
Here's what I need:
A vape for flowers, specifically, that I can take anywhere and share with my friends at festivals, concerts, etc. And also works great at home to share with the Mrs. I use pens for concentrates and perfectly happy with using/ carrying both.
Both of these appear to be it. But like the idea of an extra battery with the FF2, something the crafty doesn't offer.
Thoughts?

flyfishwino,

Mr. Me2

Here's what I need:
A vape for flowers, specifically, that I can take anywhere and share with my friends at festivals, concerts, etc. And also works great at home to share with the Mrs. I use pens for concentrates and perfectly happy with using/ carrying both.
Both of these appear to be it. But like the idea of an extra battery with the FF2, something the crafty doesn't offer.
Thoughts?
I replied to your other post, but I'll add some more info here.

I have a Crafty, gh, and ff1. The ff1 has basically been retired for quite a while. It's too finicky and I just prefer my others. Although the ff2 solved many issues of the ff1, you still need to stir, which is a turn off for me.

I still love my Crafty, but I'm on a gh honeymoon now and have been using it exclusively. I just LOVE it.

greenextinguisher

Here's what I need:
Thoughts?

I think for your purposes, I'd recommend the crafty. It's mostly the part about sharing with friends at festivals, concerts, etc. In general, the crafty is a better vape for when you are doing things. It takes less focus and just always works. Especially if you have the dosing capsules!

Just carry one of these instead of an extra FF2 battery:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-bar-Si...?ie=UTF8&qid=1470853979&sr=8-7&keywords=anker

and at some point you'll likely want to send it in for battery replacement.

For quick hits/seshes at home and flavor tasting new stuff, its tough to beat the FF2.

flyfishwino

I replied to your other post, but I'll add some more info here.

I have a Crafty, gh, and ff1. The ff1 has basically been retired for quite a while. It's too finicky and I just prefer my others. Although the ff2 solved many issues of the ff1, you still need to stir, which is a turn off for me.

I still love my Crafty, but I'm on a gh honeymoon now and have been using it exclusively. I just LOVE it.
Thankso, doing some more research.
How hot dies the GH get?

flyfishwino,

Mr. Me2

How hot dies the GH get?
It can get hot if you take pulls one right after another. I always wait for it to cool down before taking my next. For me, it's a much nicer way to pace my vaping. That's why I like it so much. And it's SO nice just to hold. Unbelievable aesthetic.

The mouthpiece does get warm, but using it as I describe, it never is uncomfortable (for me). Some others on the gh thread disagree and think it is too warm, so they use the condom that comes with it, or a bubbler. I don't find either is necessary.

One downside is that these vapes are back ordered, so it will take a while to get. But you can pick up a boundless vape to tide you over. Those two together are not too much more than a Crafty, Mighty, or ff2

Hope this helps!

P.S. To help with your research, you may want to read/watch Buzz Danklin's reviews on vaporizerwizard.com. Great info on all of these!

greenextinguisher

How hot dies the GH get?

There are pretty widely varying opinions on this and I myself have been back and forth and don't know where I currently stand. I highly recommend spending some time in the GH thread. Its an amazing little device, but its a bit of a "project" in my opinion and doesn't provide as solid of a vaping experience next to the FF2 and Crafty. I'd say, like the FF2, its controversial and, for me, it's tough to recommend it without a strong emphasis on "do your homework!"

People don't tend to get very excited about S&B devices around here, but they are all powerhouses. Some things have been improved over time. Their devices do kind of "just work" almost universally. They are kind of like medical devices. Very well designed, tested and functional, but a little sterile and lacking character. If you want a vape that speaks to your soul, maybe check out a different brand, haha.

I think a lot of people assume at some point you will have to service your Crafty. The frequency probably depends on how you care for the device and how you use it. Maybe plan for around $70/year of maintenance on the crafty and a little while without it, but between services, it should rock your world. No guarantees, yours may run carefree for years, but if this possibility is a show stopper, its worth considering other options (haze v3? vapcap?).

The FF2 is an unknown for long-term durability, but it does have swappable batts, which will help.

The GH is pretty well known for not being durable or reliable at all. It 100% requires a backup vape, if you are at all concerned about being vape-less. They do have a lifetime warranty and may very well work out the bugs.

I have not yet had any reliability issues with either of my two GHs, my Crafty or my FF2, but they are all very new and I'm not pushing them hard.

I'd suggest that if you want to go deeper on comparing some specific vapes that you start an ask FC thread after you've narrowed it down to a few devices and your primary concerns.

Mr. Me2

There are pretty widely varying opinions on this and I myself have been back and forth and don't know where I currently stand. I highly recommend spending some time in the GH thread. Its an amazing little device, but its a bit of a "project" in my opinion and doesn't provide as solid of a vaping experience next to the FF2 and Crafty. I'd say, like the FF2, its controversial and, for me, it's tough to recommend it without a strong emphasis on "do your homework!"

People don't tend to get very excited about S&B devices around here, but they are all powerhouses. Some things have been improved over time. Their devices do kind of "just work" almost universally. They are kind of like medical devices. Very well designed, tested and functional, but a little sterile and lacking character. If you want a vape that speaks to your soul, maybe check out a different brand, haha.

I think a lot of people assume at some point you will have to service your Crafty. The frequency probably depends on how you care for the device and how you use it. Maybe plan for around $70/year of maintenance on the crafty and a little while without it, but between services, it should rock your world. No guarantees, yours may run carefree for years, but if this possibility is a show stopper, its worth considering other options (haze v3? vapcap?).

The FF2 is an unknown for long-term durability, but it does have swappable batts, which will help.

The GH is pretty well known for not being durable or reliable at all. It 100% requires a backup vape, if you are at all concerned about being vape-less. They do have a lifetime warranty and may very well work out the bugs.

I have not yet had any reliability issues with either of my two GHs, my Crafty or my FF2, but they are all very new and I'm not pushing them hard.

I'd suggest that if you want to go deeper on comparing some specific vapes that you start an ask FC thread after you've narrowed it down to a few devices and your primary concerns.
Well said!

Regarding the gh, it does seem a little "buggy" (no pun intended), but we don't know the statistics (what % are bad). Crafty was getting a bad rap here for a while (it seems to have quieted down) for it breaking down and poor customer service.

I can tell you I baby my toys, and my Crafty still died in less than a year. Although S&B wasn't very communicative, I did get a new unit through warranty. I did miss it during those weeks though.

To change paths, if you want a very reliable, solid vape, get a pax2. That one comes with a 10 year warranty you'll probably never use. I still love that one too.

Okay...we've decided for you. It's time to start building your collection. One is never enough. At some point it won't work when you want it (even if it just needs a charge), and it's too much fun to rotate.

flyfishwino

Well said!

Regarding the gh, it does seem a little "buggy" (no pun intended), but we don't know the statistics (what % are bad). Crafty was getting a bad rap here for a while (it seems to have quieted down) for it breaking down and poor customer service.

I can tell you I baby my toys, and my Crafty still died in less than a year. Although S&B wasn't very communicative, I did get a new unit through warranty. I did miss it during those weeks though.

To change paths, if you want a very reliable, solid vape, get a pax2. That one comes with a 10 year warranty you'll probably never use. I still love that one too.

Okay...we've decided for you. It's time to start building your collection. One is never enough. At some point it won't work when you want it (even if it just needs a charge), and it's too much fun to rotate.
Ha, thx
I have MFLB, TIred off the batteries and lack of power.
Friend has a Pax2, could never get it to work, might have been a knockoff, another has the ascent, didn't like that either.
Guess I'm picky!

I think for your purposes, I'd recommend the crafty. It's mostly the part about sharing with friends at festivals, concerts, etc. In general, the crafty is a better vape for when you are doing things. It takes less focus and just always works. Especially if you have the dosing capsules!

Just carry one of these instead of an extra FF2 battery:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-bar-Si...?ie=UTF8&qid=1470853979&sr=8-7&keywords=anker

and at some point you'll likely want to send it in for battery replacement.

For quick hits/seshes at home and flavor tasting new stuff, its tough to beat the FF2.
How long do you think the brick takes to charge the crafty?

Last edited by a moderator:
flyfishwino,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

greenextinguisher

How long do you think the brick takes to charge the crafty?

I like then anker bricks. They have various sizes. They all charge about as fast as wall warts @2.1A. I don't know how long it takes to fully charge a Crafty from completely dead, but I bet the brick can get you up and running in 15 minutes from a totally dead battery, if you don't mind having a tether. The crafty supports passthrough, so it can work partially off the Anker battery pack while you use it. You just need about 20% in the crafty battery for that to work.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I like then anker bricks. They have various sizes. They all charge about as fast as wall warts @2.1A. I don't know how long it takes to fully charge a Crafty from completely dead, but I bet the brick can get you up and running in 15 minutes from a totally dead battery, if you don't mind having a tether. The crafty supports passthrough, so it can work partially off the Anker battery pack while you use it. You just need about 20% in the crafty battery for that to work.
I don't think 'passthrough' is technically the correct term for the way Crafty/Mighty work when plugged in. True pass through means the unit works (heats, etc) at the same time as it charges the battery. I think that, technically, these two vapes flip back and forth between heating and charging, i.e., as it heats up it is not charging, and when not sending heat to achieve temp. it then charges the battery.

There's also a difference in how Crafty and Mighty behave while plugged in. Crafty's usb charger is not fast enough to keep pace with relatively steady use, so, while it can be used plugged in, the battery will drain and eventually lack enough power to function. Mighty's more robust charger is faster and even as it is used in session it will build charge rather than deplete.
Sorry to split hairs over this...;)

greenextinguisher

I don't think 'passthrough' is technically the correct term for the way Crafty/Mighty work when plugged in. True pass through means the unit works (heats, etc) at the same time as it charges the battery. I think that, technically, these two vapes flip back and forth between heating and charging, i.e., as it heats up it is not charging, and when not sending heat to achieve temp. it then charges the battery.

There's also a difference in how Crafty and Mighty behave while plugged in. Crafty's usb charger is not fast enough to keep pace with relatively steady use, so, while it can be used plugged in, the battery will drain and eventually lack enough power to function. Mighty's more robust charger is faster and even as it is used in session it will build charge rather than deplete.
Sorry to split hairs over this...;)

Good call, its worth going a little deeper on that point.

To be very specific, "passthrough" means that the device operates off of the power source independent of the internal battery. While they do differ in experience, I consider neither the crafty nor the mighty legit passthrough.

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but I believe what they both do is function off of the internal battery while the device is charging. Since the mighty has a much bigger charger, it functions in a way nearly indistinguishable from true passthrough since it charges at a rate faster than it discharges when operating the heater. That being said, neither device deals with passthrough in an ideal way with regard to battery health. And that is definitely worth bringing up. If this is something you will do often, you will likely destroy your battery faster.

edit: clearer wording

Top Bottom