Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Hawk

For those Canadians who sent their Crafty in for warranty, how long was the turn around? Also did you have to send to the US or Germany? Any trouble sending a device that may still get caught by the drug dog going through customs? I've had mine since February and it gets daily use, put a ton of hours on it, way over a hundred I'm sure, but lately starting to see a lot of issues:

- Overheating quicker even at low temps like 180C
- Getting the flashing red led when turning on. Only way to get rid of it is to do a factory reset by holding the power button for 30sec.
- The plastic lip the cooling unit screws into are breaking off among other plastic pieces. Must be do to the heat and plastic getting brittle. I baby this thing and it has never dropped.
- Still need to get updated firmware so it works with KitKat
- The whole unit feels like it gets hotter than it usually did.

Despite all that it is still works enough but it must be on its last legs and would like to get it replaced.

Hawk,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
For those Canadians who sent their Crafty in for warranty, how long was the turn around? Also did you have to send to the US or Germany? Any trouble sending a device that may still get caught by the drug dog going through customs? I've had mine since February and it gets daily use, put a ton of hours on it, way over a hundred I'm sure, but lately starting to see a lot of issues:

- Overheating quicker even at low temps like 180C
- Getting the flashing red led when turning on. Only way to get rid of it is to do a factory reset by holding the power button for 30sec.
- The plastic lip the cooling unit screws into are breaking off among other plastic pieces. Must be do to the heat and plastic getting brittle. I baby this thing and it has never dropped.
- Still need to get updated firmware so it works with KitKat
- The whole unit feels like it gets hotter than it usually did.

Despite all that it is still works enough but it must be on its last legs and would like to get it replaced.

I think that if you clean it well, don't send anything but the main piece (not cooling unit) and be careful how you package it, things will be fine. Include a brief note about the problems. (I'm on #3 in about the same time frame as you.)

The issues you mention are relatively common and in most cases, units are replaced quickly. BUT the number of charge cycles on the battery could be an issue; it was for me with #2. They quoted replacing the housing and firmware gratis, but I had to pay for the battery swap. Then a brand new one was shipped anyway (50 bucks usd is what I paid in the end, though the new price on their website is $70.)

Go for it, hopefully before the battery can be deemed D.O.A. by S&B. You may be in the sweet spot right now!

vapviking,

justcametomind

If S&B complain about charge cycles they should be remembered the number could be leveled up by their finicky wall charger that become positional just after a couple of months, causing the connection to go on/off many times resulting in more cycles. Or by their tiny battery so you may be driven to top it up often.
On top of that, do they ever state running many battery cycles could void the warranty? No.

Stinky

If S&B complain about charge cycles they should be remembered the number could be leveled up by their finicky wall charger that become positional just after a couple of months, causing the connection to go on/off many times resulting in more cycles. Or by their tiny battery so you may be driven to top it up often.
On top of that, do they ever state running many battery cycles could void the warranty? No.

They replaced the old chargers that were prone to breaking with a new smaller unit.

Stinky,

justcametomind

Due to the fact the old ones were positional the number of cycles could be higher, if it counts the times you plugged in the charger.

justcametomind,

MGG

I've sent @VapeFiend an email requesting to provide more information of the quality of the plastic they are using for the Crafty/Mighty waterpipe attachment as this is of concern to me.

I'd also like to know how airtight users have found the attachment to be?

Regardless I ordered it because I've been coming on this forum every now and then requesting it >.> almost $50aud shipped is pretty expensive for something that likely cost less than 10% of that to produce, but whatever, it's a niche item, for a niche market, blah blah blah, i'm just happy it exists.

I wish it was smaller though, it seems unnecessarily bulky compared to the mod designs on this forum. It sticks out from the mighty like a chode. Whatever, happy there's something for us mighty/crafty users who are too nooby/paranoid to make our own attachments.

I'm also curious to know how sturdy it is, considering it does just appear to be a standard glass adapter with a plastic shell around it, is it tight in the mighty/crafty? does it rattle?

love to see some videos, peace.

Thcgos

Vape Addict
I've sent @VapeFiend an email requesting to provide more information of the quality of the plastic they are using for the Crafty/Mighty waterpipe attachment as this is of concern to me.

Regardless I ordered it because I've been coming on this forum every now and then requesting it >.> almost $50aud shipped is pretty expensive for something that likely cost less than 10% of that to produce, but whatever, it's a niche item, for a niche market, blah blah blah, i'm just happy it exists.

I wish it was smaller though, it seems unnecessarily bulky compared to the mod designs on this forum. It sticks out from the mighty like a chode. Whatever, happy there's something for us mighty/crafty users who are too nooby/paranoid to make our own attachments.

I'm also curious to know how sturdy it is, considering it does just appear to be a standard glass adapter with a plastic shell around it, is it tight in the mighty/crafty? does it rattle?

Hey, fellow Aussie here.

I ordered mine a few days ago, so I should get it before you. I'll post a response to each of your concerns after some testing :science::rockon:

Totally agree with you regarding the cost.
I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price shipped (in AUD). Especially given that it is, essentially, a glass adapter with a plastic sleeve.

I emailed Vapefiend about the plastic they use. They indicated the plastic used is POM. They also claim an all glass air path, except for the metal screen. If they chose the right POM, then it could be safe. One example of POM is Delrin, often used as vape pen tips.
@c76man already mailed them, apparently it's POM, whatever that might be.

Although I too was initially concerned with the plastic type used, after I saw @UnshavenFish post and saw the base, the seal will be formed by the glass coming in contact with the chamber. The plastic sleeve will just hold it in place and provide the necessary down pressure to create a seal. See photos below:

The plastic itself does not form the seal but merely supports it.

Although if I were a buyer, I too would like to know, with 100% certainty, it's proper heat safe material, especially given the price point!

Thanks again @UnshavenFish for the pictures to help illustrate the point.

Last edited:

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too

I thought I had it tough with postage and import duties that I pay. That's harsh.

The adapter is very sturdy and as stated only the glass makes contact to the chamber so no worries with regards to the glass.

I like mine and think it looks and fits great. Sorry no vids but it white walls my large bubbler with ease. (On max temp)

Only problem is you can kill you bowl in a few big hits. :science:

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

But would I pay $50 for it?????

Probably.

h3rbalist,
Reactions: Thcgos

Stoned Cold

I thought I had it tough with postage and import duties that I pay. That's harsh.

The adapter is very sturdy and as stated only the glass makes contact to the chamber so no worries with regards to the glass.

I like mine and think it looks and fits great. Sorry no vids but it white walls my large bubbler with ease. (On max temp)

Only problem is you can kill you bowl in a few big hits. :science:

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

But would I pay $50 for it?????

Probably.
...I think it's better than buying a CU, imo....

Stoned Cold,
Reactions: h3rbalist

MGG

I haven't been following this thread much, what does CU stand for?

Also Vapefiend said ; The plastic parts of the Crafty / Mighty Easy Flow adapter are made from a POM high temperature safe engineering plastic, and the air path is entirely glass except for the stainless steel screen.

MGG,

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
I haven't been following this thread much, what does CU stand for?

Also Vapefiend said ; The plastic parts of the Crafty / Mighty Easy Flow adapter are made from a POM high temperature safe engineering plastic, and the air path is entirely glass except for the stainless steel screen.
CU = cooling unit.

I call it a cooling chamber, but it's all good.

I found the plastic barely gets warm. Even after consecutive uses.

:tup:

BioSector

I have sent my Crafty twice and Mighty once (though it's boxed up for send number 2 today).

Always to the US, just follow their steps on the website and you'll be fine. From Alberta, I would suggest using Expedited parcel and NOT express. Expedited goes through Richmond, BC. Express stays in AB and goes to Customs in Calgary. I accidentally used express and it took DAYS to get through customs compared to minutes in Richmond. May be a coincidence but I don't want to find out for sure.

Takes about 4 business days to get to Oakland via expedited, and they usually turn them around pretty quickly. Return may be UPS or USPS but shouldn't be more than 4-5 business days.

Astedra

My crafty is boxed up and I'm shipping it to Oakland from Toronto. Previous 2 times it was around 2 week turnaround time.

vts

My crafty is boxed up and I'm shipping it to Oakland from Toronto. Previous 2 times it was around 2 week turnaround time.

I sent my Crafty back last week to Oakland.

My Crafty died on me last week, after only 17 hrs. use in a little over 3 months. I would consider that very light use and no abuse at all, I babied that thing. I think I got a bum unit from the start because it would overheat, but it was great and I do miss it. I used it more for outdoor activities, my main vape is the Daisy for home use.

I just bought a Mighty for back up from Puffitup. Hopefully the Mighty will last longer.

Not sure how long it will take to get my Crafty back, but I'm disappointed in the quality. It does a great job at vaping but they need to improve it and make it work longer than 3 months.

Why is it, that my German made, Braun shaver (which I've been using for 5 years now), still works like new, and no battery problems. My iphone made in China about 3 years old and no battery problems. Same with my ipad and bunch of other battery powered devices.

Ok, rant over. It just pisses me off when you spend your hard earned money on something that breaks so quickly.

Cleezy

Impatient Grahhopper Preorder & about 3 month crafty owner. I honestly couldn't be happier with it so far. I have impressed dozens & never had a bad "review" with 90% 1st timers. I am also an herbie owner but this thing impresses. I'm at 22 hours & just did my first ISO cleaning. Everything is like new so I attach it to my DH Glass & it milks as well as herbie which thoroughly impressed me. Sorry for the vaped out ramble. Lol

Stinky

I sent my Crafty back last week to Oakland.

My Crafty died on me last week, after only 17 hrs. use in a little over 3 months. I would consider that very light use and no abuse at all, I babied that thing. I think I got a bum unit from the start because it would overheat, but it was great and I do miss it. I used it more for outdoor activities, my main vape is the Daisy for home use.

I just bought a Mighty for back up from Puffitup. Hopefully the Mighty will last longer.

Not sure how long it will take to get my Crafty back, but I'm disappointed in the quality. It does a great job at vaping but they need to improve it and make it work longer than 3 months.

Why is it, that my German made, Braun shaver (which I've been using for 5 years now), still works like new, and no battery problems. My iphone made in China about 3 years old and no battery problems. Same with my ipad and bunch of other battery powered devices.

Ok, rant over. It just pisses me off when you spend your hard earned money on something that breaks so quickly.

Get a refund on the Crafty if you feel it is not of merchantable quality. I get a refund when my unit goes back for warranty replacement.

Stinky,

SatanLovestoVape

My third Crafty works great. 41 hours on the clock. (First one 78 hours ,second one 213 hours).
My first Crafty lasted around 175 hours on firmware 2.0.4, but the heat up time took forever. I was surprised my Crafty lasted that long. Only time will tell how long my second unit will last hopefully I will get 300 hours. I feel like my new one is going to last longer than my older model since the reinforce housing.

SatanLovestoVape,

UnshavenFish

So I've been a little quiet after getting my crafty wpa (crazy busy) but today I had nothing to do :rockon:, so my crafty has been charged 5 times today (full charges) and I'm in a happy happy place, really like this thing.

I know people like vids but I don't do YouTube or Facebook or anything, and hadn't posted a pic on the web until I joined here, so pics will have to do until I either figure it out or get someone to do it for me.

Before... (Although I did take this pic after the one below so not technically before but kinda :shrug: pow just blown my mind :hmm: did I just time travel?

And the money shot...

Now I should say this took some effort to get these pics, mainly because I'm baked and kept forgetting to take the pic before I was finished :doh:

Now I'm sure there was more I had to say but I can't remember now and it's taken almost an hour to type this much out :science:

:peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm interested in posting some pics as well and maybe vids, but I'm hesitant since I don't know best any ways to (easily, pls) stay anonymous. Any of the sites seem to at minimum want to know who I am, which is borderline acceptable for my purposes. At that point I'm one errant keystroke from being exposed to the world! :nope:

Any easy tips for me? A tutorial I've not found yet?
I hope not to trouble anyone too much, thanks in advance.

vapviking,

MGG

I'm interested in posting some pics as well and maybe vids, but I'm hesitant since I don't know best any ways to (easily, pls) stay anonymous. Any of the sites seem to at minimum want to know who I am, which is borderline acceptable for my purposes. At that point I'm one errant keystroke from being exposed to the world! :nope:

Any easy tips for me? A tutorial I've not found yet?
I hope not to trouble anyone too much, thanks in advance.

https://vid.me/
www.imgur.com

BioSector

So my 2nd Crafty that survived only 13 hours of usage in less than a month arrived at S&B on Monday morning. In communication with them previous to sending it in, I was promised "expedited" repair service... Here it is 48 full hours later and no word from them on return. A polite email yesterday asking for a status update on my expedited repair (remember, my Mighty died a few days later.. I have no working S&B products) went unanswered.

Pretty sure your service is totally based on who is answering the email on a given day, which is really unfortunate.

Stinky

So my 2nd Crafty that survived only 13 hours of usage in less than a month arrived at S&B on Monday morning. In communication with them previous to sending it in, I was promised "expedited" repair service... Here it is 48 full hours later and no word from them on return. A polite email yesterday asking for a status update on my expedited repair (remember, my Mighty died a few days later.. I have no working S&B products) went unanswered.

Pretty sure your service is totally based on who is answering the email on a given day, which is really unfortunate.

I got sick of doing this so buy a new unit outright when my unit fails. I wait until the replacement arrives then send the defective unit back for a full refund.

I thought it was excessive at first but really has been the ultimate fix to the problem for me. I am out of pocket $500 for two weeks but my retailer sends me an invoice for the refund so that I know when the money has gone back in.

Could be an option for other frustrated owners.

Stinky,
Top Bottom