Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

stereo420

If anyone still has trouble getting any stains off the crafty bowl, 100% pure Acetone works perfectly.

I wish I could have taken a before shot in order to show the difference. The acetone also renews the screens and removes that dark stain in between the metal and plastic part of the bowl. Due to its strength, there is virtually no scrubbing. Just one wipe with a q-tip is good.

It has to be 100%. Don't use nail polish remover, as it has oils. I found it at a local beauty supply.

Mr. Me2

hey guys, new crafty owner here, just got it today. Very happy with it. It rips. I got 4 bowls and the battery died which is a shame..it's charging as I type this. How long does it take for you guys to charge the crafty from dead? Any tips and tricks I should know? I don't pack small bowls so no need to mess with the liquid pad etc .

Also, What are you guys using for a case? I plan to bring this thing with me to several theme parks in the coming weeks..what's a good portable power bank I could use that would keep the crafty charged all day? It needs to be small since it'd be in my pocket all day with the craft..size is very important. (think disneyland)
I got a RYOT small PackRatz. The Crafty fits in it perfectly, but room for virtually nothing else. And its smell proof.

Mr. Me2,

perspectionist

So I might be screwed on this one. I just looked over the instructions again and they say that the unit

"cannot be used in damp locations (such as bathrooms etc.)"

I used it in a bathroom 2 weeks before failure

Also,

"Never touch the Vaporizer or power adapter with wet or damp parts of the body"

The warm device causes my hand to sweat, thus my hand is damp

And,

"The Vaporizer and the power adapter must not be used in damp or wet conditions. "

I have used the vape a number of times when it was humid outside but never in the rain.

As well as,

"Do not use in the bathroom or above water "

I have used the unit a number of times while in a kayak.

I must be completely out of line with my Crafty use. If I am honest with S&B, I have implicated myself by my improper use and abuse.

Can I presume that:

all Crafty (and probable Mighty) owners never used it in a bathroom?

all Crafty (and probable Mighty) owner's hands never get sweaty?

all Crafty (and probable Mighty) owners never use it when it is humid outside?

all Crafty (and probable Mighty) owners never have used it while boating?

I would say that these types of restrictions greatly reduce the "portability" of this portable vaporizer. I wouldnt have imagined that it would be so extremely sensitive. I wouldnt have imagined that what I think would be "normal" usage would void the warranty.

I really do love the Crafty, but are these restrictions really realistic?

:shrug:

biohacker

I've used mine at the beach, over water (bong), in humid 40c weather etc without issue. There have definitely been a few rain drops on it too.

If they ever denied me warranty I would definitely move on to another manufacturer, no matter how awesome the crafty and mighty are.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So I might be screwed on this one. I just looked over the instructions again and they say that the unit

"cannot be used in damp locations (such as bathrooms etc.)"

I used it in a bathroom 2 weeks before failure

Also,

"Never touch the Vaporizer or power adapter with wet or damp parts of the body"

The warm device causes my hand to sweat, thus my hand is damp

And,

"The Vaporizer and the power adapter must not be used in damp or wet conditions. "

I have used the vape a number of times when it was humid outside but never in the rain.

As well as,

"Do not use in the bathroom or above water "

I must be completely out of line with my Crafty use. If I am honest with S&B, I have implicated myself by my improper use and abuse.

Can I presume that:

all Crafty (and probable Mighty) owners never used it in a bathroom?

all Crafty (and probable Mighty) owner's hands never get sweaty?

all Crafty (and probable Mighty) owners never use it when it is humid outside?

I would say that these types of restrictions greatly reduce the "portability" of this portable vaporizer. I wouldnt have imagined that it would be so extremely sensitive. I wouldnt have imagined that what I think would be "normal" usage would void the warranty.

If you were taking a shower and the bathroom steamed up (as often happens to me) then it is possible that there was enough water vapour to affect the PCB. That's what the warning about damp environments is about. I don't believe sweaty hands could cause a problem, but steam can easily get inside the unit.

perspectionist

If you were taking a shower and the bathroom steamed up (as often happens to me) then it is possible that there was enough water vapour to affect the PCB. That's what the warning about damp environments is about. I don't believe sweaty hands could cause a problem, but steam can easily get inside the unit.
I understand what you say. If it were to die immediately after the bathroom "incident " i might be more willing to assume responsibility, however it failed mid session a couple of weeks after.

Or can a delayed failure be possible?

perspectionist,
Reactions: biohacker

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I understand what you say. If it were to die immediately after the bathroom "incident " i might be more willing to assume responsibility, however it failed mid session a couple of weeks after.

Or can a delayed failure be possible?

I suppose it's possible. I'd say unlikely but I'm not an expert. My guess is that the two incidents are unrelated, however they don't know that. The best you can do is present your case and see if they improve their offer.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
My Crafty has NEVER seen a drop of moisture/rain or water in any way. I even keep it in a Pelican case!
Never you say?

Im pretty sure that's what did it (made your moisture strip react, not kill the crafty)

Im going to go out on a limb and say NO. A boat maybe some have...a kayak is another thing
Wouldn't even think of the mighty or crafty as kayak friendly vapes.

I would say that these types of restrictions greatly reduce the "portability" of this portable vaporizer. I wouldnt have imagined that it would be so extremely sensitive. I wouldn't have imagined that what I think would be "normal" usage would void the warranty.

the mighty and crafty are probably the most sensitive vapes I own. They are the most expensive vapes own. And they need to be swaddled and pampered. There are other vapes I think that would fit the bill for you.
I think you should get a pax 2 for those kayak trips if you need a one handed...or if you can use two hands I would suggest a vapman, it even has a waterproof case.
Good luck with S&B

WakeAndVape,

Krizzle

Hi Very high
I used my crafty a couple of times in a hotel bathroom recently with the idea of the vapor going through the extractor fan :ninja: it was fine the first few sessions(not back to back spread out few different days) but I think on the third or fourth, it turned off after only a couple of minutes and flashed blue to say it overheated. The bathroom was completely steamed up so this all adds up as I had the hot shower running to attempt to mask any smells. However my crafty has been fine and I haven't had any issues since...wont be using it in a steamy, humid bathroom again that's for sure:doh:

grokit

well-worn member
One thing you can do to combat moisture damage is to put a "damp" crafty into a ziplock of uncooked white rice for a few days. It may be too late in many cases, but it will dry the unit out internally.

grokit,

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
One thing you can do to combat moisture damage is to put a "damp" crafty into a ziplock of uncooked white rice for a few days. It may be too late in many cases, but it will dry the unit out internally.
I don't think it was water damaged, the crafty crapped out and since the contact strip reacted from the moisture, they decided not to warranty. In my experience things that are water damaged stop pretty much right away.

BioSector

I don't think it was water damaged, the crafty crapped out and since the contact strip reacted from the moisture, they decided not to warranty. In my experience things that are water damaged stop pretty much right away.

Yes, in this case I think the events were unrelated but the end result in a no warranty claim. :(

The bag of rice idea can be useful in the future though!

stereo420

And acetone has no negative effects on the bowl or plastic piece? thanks.

On the metal? Nope. As far as the "plastic" (PEEK), the only solvents that will attack it are concentrated nitric acid and sulphuric acids.

A hot ISO soak for the CU and pure acetone for the bowl and screens is extremely effective. The hot ISO cuts the soaking time down to like 2 minutes, no scrubbing.

My bowl was gleaming this morning as I loaded it. The first hit reminded me how great a spotless Crafty hits.

Stinky

On the metal? Nope. As far as the "plastic" (PEEK), the only solvents that will attack it are concentrated nitric acid and sulphuric acids.

A hot ISO soak for the CU and pure acetone for the bowl and screens is extremely effective. The hot ISO cuts the soaking time down to like 2 minutes, no scrubbing.

My bowl was gleaming this morning as I loaded it. The first hit reminded me how great a spotless Crafty hits.
Where did you learn the specific type of plastic that is used? We have been trying to work it out as S&B won't tell us.

DaftDrunk

I have a friend who loves his Arizer Solo, but after using my desktop vape he says he wants something that hits harder. Would the Crafty be good for him?

Mangled Alaskan

@Mangled Alaskan, welcome to fc :tup:

To guide you around a bit, there's an official welcome to fc thread, and you may feel at home with the rest of the freaks (including yours truly) over at the fuck the parkinson's thread. You've got some great crafty content in your post for sure, but you can introduce yourself to a wider audience in the former thread. In the latter we just basically complain about our various medical ailments and fling poop:shit:, in both the literal and figurative sense. As a fellow alaskan that visits anchorage a couple of times a year, I'm so glad you have had such a great experience with the generosity of others, neighborliness is a great part of this state :)

I got it on amazon 2-3 years ago, this model is no longer being sold but newer is always better with these anyways. I do recommend the brand, just scroll down for some of their current choices.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VBNYDS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dude thanks for this post. I can't remember if I have already replied. Damn strokes have left me like a caricature of Beavis or Butthead. My Crafty died after 3 months and 82 hours of use. S&B in
Oakland said it was a blown fuse this morning when I called and I opted to try a Mighty this time. It should be here this week. Another $60 plus $30 for Fed-EX in lieu of the free USPS 3 day. I miss vaping!
Next time you're in Los Anchorage maybe we could have a beer and a Bud? I too am glad to be an Alaskan, although it has been suggested because I probably won't ever be able to fly fish for Trout on the Alagnak again , I could now justify moving to Costa Rica. WARM, beaches, and WARM. Fireweeds been done for a while and I think we have just had some Termination Dust.

What's your opinion of the workings of the so called Marijuana Control Board? I think they are spwn of the Devil. Thank God for the Ravin Decision!!

NOW I know why they asked me today if I'd dropped my Crafty into water! I was told it had blown a fuse and they covered it. They told me water damage wasn't covered. Unfortuantely I can no longer fish this river near Anchorage.
Kenai_River_Rainbow_Trout_1.jpg

The color of the Kenai is unreal

copy-of-111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

grokit

well-worn member
Costa Rica. WARM, beaches, and WARM. Fireweeds been done for a while and I think we have just had some Termination Dust.

What's your opinion of the workings of the so called Marijuana Control Board? I think they are spwn of the Devil. Thank God for the Ravin Decision!!
Yes its getting cold, hopefully another mild winter! The mcb is a part of the abc liquor board right? That bothers me because of how poorly it's being handled in wa, hopefully these guys will be more hands off. I am still trying to figure out if I'm renewing my medical permit or not; from a growing perspective it does not seem to offer any advantage, and I have no idea if it would be helpful when dispensaries happen.

grokit,

perspectionist

So I spoke with some tech guy at S&B who pretty much towed the company line with regards to my supposedly "moisture damaged" crafty.

He did say that using it in the bathroom shouldnt cause a failure, but because the moisture detection strip was activated the warranty is void.

He offered the opportunity for me to speak with another tech that knew more about this claim and that I would get a call later. I never received a call.

I would like to know:

If there is more than one moisture strip in the unit and how many of these were activated?

Can a moisture strip be activated without damaging the unit?

Was the failure caused by water?

Is there any additional evidence of water within the device?

Does a rapidly cooled unit (bringing a hot unit into a cold air conditioned environment) cause condensation within the unit?

Can the Indicators produce false-positive results or are they designed to?

A few years ago, Apple lost a lawsuit regarding this same type of "water damage" policy.
Court documents indicate that Apple had a "liquid damage policy" that allowed Apple to deny warranty coverage if the liquid indicator changed color. However, 3M, which made the indicators, later said that heat could also cause color change.

For those of you who have had warranty denials or other issues with S&B, was it better to speak directly with a tech, CS representative or superviser? Would E-mail correspondence be more efficient? Any other questions I should ask?

Last edited:

skyvaper

I just received my unit back last week. I tracked it until they recieved it and was planning on calling the next day as I was informed they usually work on units the the day after receiving. I received a notification they sent me a package so I called them asap because I wanted to add some fine screens and have everything shipped together. While he tracked my new unit down I asked him what went wrong. He responded and said he didnt know and that I was just getting a new unit. I got the impression they didnt even really investigate what happened and just sent me a new unit. This is the 2nd time I received that same response of not sure but here is your new unit. My first crafty I sent in for broken fins and it getting too hot but no flashing lights of death. My mighty for hanging 5 degrees below set temp and hit or miss vibration. Most recent was the flashing lights of death. @perspectionist sorry they are throwing policy in your face. What was your initial communication to them? Im curious if they are now using that as an excuse to void warranties. Also there is a member on here that voided his warranty and replaced his battery and fixed a fuse I believe. I m really going out on a limb but if they are not going to fix your unit reach out to the community here as we definitely have people here that are WELL versed in electronics and vape tech.

Vapor Loop

A few years ago, Apple lost a lawsuit regarding this same type of "water damage" policy.
Court documents indicate that Apple had a "liquid damage policy" that allowed Apple to deny warranty coverage if the liquid indicator changed color. However, 3M, which made the indicators, later said that heat could also cause color change.

When i lived closer to the beach i NEVER water damaged a single phone yet ALL of the moisture strips turned pink in every phone i got. I honestly thought it was normal till i had to call to replace a phone. I just called rite back and said the moisture strip was white painted it white sent it in and everything was good, If you know you didn't do it then they NEED to fix it free of cost simple as that. I do have to admit this companies failure to produce a reliable product and shoddy cs is pushing me further than ever from a purchase. I did consider at the $260 price tag just $10 over my limit for a unit with non replaceable battery, But i did a check up here and found thing's changed a bit for the worst. I really hope they get there act together and fix EVERYTHING. I will still keep my eye on this one but they NEED a replaceable battery or be $250 at all times, And they gotta prove to me the average person can get atleast a year use with a good 500-1,000 hours on it, Is there a single person here to even get 500 hours?

skeletor

Today is day 9 of my RMA process. I finally got a rep on the phone yesterday, but only by calling the "SALES" extension, since no one else answers. Sales guy says "You should expect an update to your case tomorrow. If you don't hear from us by 4 PM tomorrow, call back."

This morning, Storz & Bickel e-mails me:

Hello,

Your device has been received and we will contact you in a few days.

Sincerely,

Storz & Bickel America, Inc

So much for that 7-10 day turnaround time -- which is hilarious given that I could DRIVE to Oakland in a matter of hours.

Best part: Guy on phone says, "Yeah, well, it was Labor Day weekend, so lots of employees are still out." (On Tuesday afternoon).

Didn't some folks in this forum speak CS responses that response time had been slow because most people were on holiday during August, like 2 weeks ago?

So I spoke with some tech guy at S&B who pretty much towed the company line with regards to my supposedly "moisture damaged" crafty.

He did say that using it in the bathroom shouldnt cause a failure, but because the moisture detection strip was activated the warranty is void.

He offered the opportunity for me to speak with another tech that knew more about this claim and that I would get a call later. I never received a call.

I would like to know:

If there is more than one moisture strip in the unit and how many of these were activated?

Can a moisture strip be activated without damaging the unit?

Was the failure caused by water?

Is there any additional evidence of water within the device?

Does a rapidly cooled unit (bringing a hot unit into a cold air conditioned environment) cause condensation within the unit?

Can the Indicators produce false-positive results or are they designed to?

For those of you who have had warranty denials or other issues with S&B, was it better to speak directly with a tech, CS representative or superviser? Would E-mail correspondence be more efficient? Any other questions I should ask?

I can't possibly imagine how a device that gets hot, produces vapor, and comes with a liquid pad by design could POSSIBLY lead to false positives on 3M strips. :p:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

No-Wrinkle

I purchased a crafty in early August and hadn't started using it very often until the past two weeks. At first the device was performing excellent however the device quickly started to have battery issues and perform poorly. Last night the battery was drained from completely full to empty without finishing a bowl. I immediately emailed S&B and got a response today. It looks like I will be going through the RMA process. While this is extremely frustrating I did love the device while it was working well. It was the best vape I have owned and I hope to keep on using it for a long time once it is returned to me. I was somewhat skeptical of the device after reading all of the failures. I suppose that was warranted. Two of my friends just purchased craftys of their own because of my recommendation. I hope they don't run into the same issues. The performance of the device while it is functioning is superb. I hope this is not going to be a consistent issue.

No-Wrinkle,

Astedra

Now I'm worried about the moisture strip in my crafty I was using it in rain couple of months ago it works fine and you know it's going to need warranty eventually I just hope the rain didn't trigger the strip even though it will have nothing to do with it failing eventually. I was using an umbrella but i saw drops of water on the crafty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom