Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

skeletor

I am so confused.

First S & B says "You should hear something by 4 PM tomorrow.

Then I get an e-mail this morning saying "We have your device and you will receive a response in a few days."

Now, at 4:15 PM, I receive a shipping notification from Stamps.com with a tracking number that is not yet in the USPS system....but no e-mail, phone call or anything to tell me how we are resolving the matter.

I really hope this is a fixed or new Crafty, but who knows?!

Sidebar: I have a lot of Customer Service experience. Maybe I can get a job fixing S & B's CSR workflow? :cool:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
I am so confused.

First S & B says "You should hear something by 4 PM tomorrow.

Then I get an e-mail this morning saying "We have your device and you will receive a response in a few days."

Now, at 4:15 PM, I receive a shipping notification from Stamps.com with a tracking number that is not yet in the USPS system....but no e-mail, phone call or anything to tell me how we are resolving the matter.

I really hope this is a fixed or new Crafty, but who knows?!

Sidebar: I have a lot of Customer Service experience. Maybe I can get a job fixing S & B's CSR workflow? :cool:
But your SKELETOR! your a f**king villain...now if it were He-Man, we'd be in buisness!

perspectionist

Left a message after dialing 0# on the S&B phone service requesting further info on my "water damaged " Crafty. Thought I would give them at least 24 hrs. Still no response after at least 36 hrs.

I guess its E-Mail correspondance time in order to have an electronic paper trail.

BTW, my "estimate number" With respect to my return is 2461..........If the numbering system started with #1, then it sure sounds like quite a few send-backs and/or returns.

perspectionist,
Reactions: Jherst

Stinky

So I spoke with some tech guy at S&B who pretty much towed the company line with regards to my supposedly "moisture damaged" crafty.

He did say that using it in the bathroom shouldnt cause a failure, but because the moisture detection strip was activated the warranty is void.

He offered the opportunity for me to speak with another tech that knew more about this claim and that I would get a call later. I never received a call.

I would like to know:

If there is more than one moisture strip in the unit and how many of these were activated?

Can a moisture strip be activated without damaging the unit?

Was the failure caused by water?

Is there any additional evidence of water within the device?

Does a rapidly cooled unit (bringing a hot unit into a cold air conditioned environment) cause condensation within the unit?

Can the Indicators produce false-positive results or are they designed to?

A few years ago, Apple lost a lawsuit regarding this same type of "water damage" policy.
Court documents indicate that Apple had a "liquid damage policy" that allowed Apple to deny warranty coverage if the liquid indicator changed color. However, 3M, which made the indicators, later said that heat could also cause color change.

For those of you who have had warranty denials or other issues with S&B, was it better to speak directly with a tech, CS representative or superviser? Would E-mail correspondence be more efficient? Any other questions I should ask?
What did they say about the kayaking? Did that affect their decision.

Stinky,

perspectionist

What did they say about the kayaking? Did that affect their decision.

I still havent heard back from S&B yet so I havent had the opportunity to tell them about kayaking. All I have around me is flatwater so there's definitely no splashing going on. I also have it in a Pelican case when not in use. Unless any humididty off the water activated the moisture strips, I am certain water had not come in contact with it.

The way things are going, I'm sure they would use the 'do not use over water' clause to swat me away,.

I am really not trying to pull one over on them. After all, I bet someone @S&B reads this forum.

All I want is my Crafty again. :cry:

perspectionist,

skeletor

I still havent heard back from S&B yet so I havent had the opportunity to tell them about kayaking. All I have around me is flatwater so there's definitely no splashing going on. I also have it in a Pelican case when not in use. Unless any humididty off the water activated the moisture strips, I am certain water had not come in contact with it.

The way things are going, I'm sure they would use the 'do not use over water' clause to swat me away,.

I am really not trying to pull one over on them. After all, I bet someone @S&B reads this forum.

All I want is my Crafty again. :cry:

So, here's my advice on phone calls to S & B: Push #1 for sales. This week, 3/4 times I got someone on the Sales line who could help me with my RMA (because it's a small office). Prior to this, I tried to play ball and choose the right extension, or pushed 0# for the operator. I'm pretty sure they just ignore #2, #3, #0, etc. -- but they want to sell more units so they'll answer the phone if you call sales, and then explain, "Sorry that I pushed #1, but I've been calling for days without reaching anyone." They'll help.

If I were you, I would say nothing about kayaking. All you're going to be doing is telling them of a use case scenario that allows them to corroborate that there was water damage. Being 100% transparent with a company that is far less than that is pointless and not in your favor. Instead, argue that the device has never been exposed to water, and point out that false positives in these strips are common. Be cordial. If they will not budge, I personally would NOT pay for a new Crafty via S&B. Rather, I would insist that they provide you with evidence that the device has been water damaged so that you can make an informed decision. To be frank, you may have a bad fuse and one questionable liquid test strip, and it may be something easily fixable. If they aren't going to warranty it, get it back and crack it open. You have nothing to lose doing that, but could potentially lose another $200+ on your "discounted" spin of the Crafty roulette wheel.

But your SKELETOR! your a f**king villain...now if it were He-Man, we'd be in buisness!
Oh, and what? You expect that the great son of King Randor would be up in Greyskull loading bowls and doing a better job of ticket resolution! That guy talks to a bird he thinks is a woman when he's SOBER!

That's right! *I* have the power! F that He-Guy! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Oh, and what? You expect that the great son of King Randor would be up in Greyskull loading bowls and doing a better job of ticket resolution! That guy talks to a bird he thinks is a woman when he's SOBER!

:lmao::rofl::clap:
Great response! And I also agree with your take on the crafty, I would get it back, crack my knuckles and shoot for the DIY repair. Unless storz hooks you up that is

biohacker

Has anyone with a Crafty here owned a Goboof Alfa? I've moved on from the Crafty for some of the same reasons many of you here have, but the Alfa looks quite similar, supposed to have a good run time, air flow, etc. so i'm curious if it would make a good replacement, or is it better to ask this in the Alfa thread?:shrug:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Has anyone with a Crafty here owned a Goboof Alfa? I've moved on from the Crafty for some of the same reasons many of you here have, but the Alfa looks quite similar, supposed to have a good run time, air flow, etc. so i'm curious if it would make a good replacement, or is it better to ask this in the Alfa thread?:shrug:
Dude check out the lily thread...primo shit.

WakeAndVape,
Reactions: biohacker

perspectionist

So, here's my advice on phone calls to S & B: Push #1 for sales. This week, 3/4 times I got someone on the Sales line who could help me with my RMA (because it's a small office). Prior to this, I tried to play ball and choose the right extension, or pushed 0# for the operator. I'm pretty sure they just ignore #2, #3, #0, etc. -- but they want to sell more units so they'll answer the phone if you call sales, and then explain, "Sorry that I pushed #1, but I've been calling for days without reaching anyone." They'll help.

If I were you, I would say nothing about kayaking. All you're going to be doing is telling them of a use case scenario that allows them to corroborate that there was water damage. Being 100% transparent with a company that is far less than that is pointless and not in your favor. Instead, argue that the device has never been exposed to water, and point out that false positives in these strips are common. Be cordial. If they will not budge, I personally would NOT pay for a new Crafty via S&B. Rather, I would insist that they provide you with evidence that the device has been water damaged so that you can make an informed decision. To be frank, you may have a bad fuse and one questionable liquid test strip, and it may be something easily fixable. If they aren't going to warranty it, get it back and crack it open. You have nothing to lose doing that, but could potentially lose another $200+ on your "discounted" spin of the Crafty roulette wheel.

Thank you Skeletor. Heres the letter that is going to them

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your E-mail dated Sept. 4th 2015 in regards to a faulty Crafty vaporizer. I was able to speak to a technician on Tuesday September 8th however he could not answer my questions in a satisfactory way. He offered that another technician call me, however I never received a call. I also left a message later that day on your phone system, but still I received no call back.

I purchased the Crafty on or around 6/22/2015 directly through the Storz and Bickel website. I was under the impression that the product was reasonably fit for the purpose intended for normal use. After approximately two months, the unit failed. I used the product to expectations and did not in any way abuse it.

As stated in your letter, you advise the vaporizer is not covered under warranty repair/replacement due to the unit coming in contact with moisture or water. I reject these finding as there has been no circumstance of this vaporizer being in contact with water. The moisture indicator strips have been shown in other cases to be an unreliable "proof" that the failure was caused by water.

I respectfully request for you to provide evidence to these findings, and also prove this item did not succumb to an internal defect that was hidden or "latent", and had not yet shown itself which caused the failure. Please show that is was not already damaged or defective at the point of sale.

If this evidence cannot be provided, then I request the device to be repaired or replaced at no cost to myself.

This claim is made under the implied warranty statues of the State of New York, including, but not limited to the implied warranty of merchantability and fitness for purpose. The product is not reasonably fit for the purpose intended in that the vaporizer was not reasonably durable, which lack of durability caused the unit to fail in a primary function in ordinary use.

This claim is also made under Storz and Bickel warranty in effect at the time of the sale that guarantees this product against failure of workmanship in manufacturing. However, any claim made under Storz and Bickel warranty does not constitute a waiver of any rights I may have under any implied warranty or my agreement that any disclaimer of implied warranties made by Storz and Bickel in its express warranty document is effective in New York.

Demand is made by this letter for the replacement or repair under warranty. I look forward to an affirmative response from you within a reasonable amount of time.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

skeletor

Thank you Skeletor. Heres the letter that is going to them

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your E-mail dated Sept. 4th 2015 in regards to a faulty Crafty vaporizer. I was able to speak to a technician on Tuesday September 8th however he could not answer my questions in a satisfactory way. He offered that another technician call me, however I never received a call. I also left a message later that day on your phone system, but still I received no call back.

I purchased the Crafty on or around 6/22/2015 directly through the Storz and Bickel website. I was under the impression that the product was reasonably fit for the purpose intended for normal use. After approximately two months, the unit failed. I used the product to expectations and did not in any way abuse it.

As stated in your letter, you advise the vaporizer is not covered under warranty repair/replacement due to the unit coming in contact with moisture or water. I reject these finding as there has been no circumstance of this vaporizer being in contact with water. The moisture indicator strips have been shown in other cases to be an unreliable "proof" that the failure was caused by water.

I respectfully request for you to provide evidence to these findings, and also prove this item did not succumb to an internal defect that was hidden or "latent", and had not yet shown itself which caused the failure. Please show that is was not already damaged or defective at the point of sale.

If this evidence cannot be provided, then I request the device to be repaired or replaced at no cost to myself.

This claim is made under the implied warranty statues of the State of New York, including, but not limited to the implied warranty of merchantability and fitness for purpose. The product is not reasonably fit for the purpose intended in that the vaporizer was not reasonably durable, which lack of durability caused the unit to fail in a primary function in ordinary use.

This claim is also made under Storz and Bickel warranty in effect at the time of the sale that guarantees this product against failure of workmanship in manufacturing. However, any claim made under Storz and Bickel warranty does not constitute a waiver of any rights I may have under any implied warranty or my agreement that any disclaimer of implied warranties made by Storz and Bickel in its express warranty document is effective in New York.

Demand is made by this letter for the replacement or repair under warranty. I look forward to an affirmative response from you within a reasonable amount of time.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

My experience with email is that anything requiring actual thought is often not responded to, because it requires more than just sending a form response. You might consider sending this letter via certified snail mail with return receipt, so if you decide you want to pursue this in small claims court or with the NYS Attorney General's office, you have a legal record of when it was received and who at Storz & Bickel received it.

Stinky

My experience with email is that anything requiring actual thought is often not responded to, because it requires more than just sending a form response. You might consider sending this letter via certified snail mail with return receipt, so if you decide you want to pursue this in small claims court or with the NYS Attorney General's office, you have a legal record of when it was received and who at Storz & Bickel received it.
I'd be very surprised if they even bother replying to that email.

skeletor

Crafty is on her way back from Oakland (or perhaps a new replacement? Who knows)!

I've been keeping my Crafty in a tablet case, surrounded by a neoprene tablet sleeve, snuggled in with a back up battery, a grinder, and two dispensing containers (to keep my indica separate from my sativa). It all fits ok and I've added some padding, but it's a matter of organizing everything correctly to pack it, rather than a good insulated slot around the vaporizer.

Anyone find a good case for this vape? I've seen cases on Amazon designed for the Mighty at this point, but haven't run across a good Crafty case.

skeletor,
Reactions: Stinky

JustsVapeityo

My third replacement unit gave me the lights of death last Saturday. Emailed them Saturday, had the RMA form from before so i just filled it in and sent it with. Got an email from stamps.com on Tuesday to ship it out. Hour latter I got my only email from S&B saying here is your shipping label to send it back. Got another email from stamps.com on Friday saying I have a package headed my way. No idea if its fixed or a new one. Hoping a new one since it got shipped out the day after they got the broken one. Anyways my point is I know more about whats happening from stamps.com then S&B. They don't tell you shit. Tried to ask about why I can't keep a Crafty alive past 40 hours, doubt I'll hear a response. I suppose a working Crafty will shut me up though lol.

perspectionist

My third replacement unit gave me the lights of death last Saturday. Emailed them Saturday, had the RMA form from before so i just filled it in and sent it with. Got an email from stamps.com on Tuesday to ship it out. Hour latter I got my only email from S&B saying here is your shipping label to send it back. Got another email from stamps.com on Friday saying I have a package headed my way. No idea if its fixed or a new one. Hoping a new one since it got shipped out the day after they got the broken one. Anyways my point is I know more about whats happening from stamps.com then S&B. They don't tell you shit. Tried to ask about why I can't keep a Crafty alive past 40 hours, doubt I'll hear a response. I suppose a working Crafty will shut me up though lol.

I wish it would be that easy for me. :bang:

If I have to escalate this to small claims court, could this all blow up in my face with respect to the types of herbs I Vape?

perspectionist,

Mr. Me2

Crafty is on her way back from Oakland (or perhaps a new replacement? Who knows)!

I've been keeping my Crafty in a tablet case, surrounded by a neoprene tablet sleeve, snuggled in with a back up battery, a grinder, and two dispensing containers (to keep my indica separate from my sativa). It all fits ok and I've added some padding, but it's a matter of organizing everything correctly to pack it, rather than a good insulated slot around the vaporizer.

Anyone find a good case for this vape? I've seen cases on Amazon designed for the Mighty at this point, but haven't run across a good Crafty case.
I use a RYOT PackRatz small case. It holds the Crafty perfectly, but there's no room for anything else except the cleaning brush. I don't use their filler tool anyway. Love my case; its smell proof and pretty cheap on Amazon

JustsVapeityo

I use the RYOT HeadCase. Sucker is smell proof. Fits the Crafty and filling tool, can actually put 2 filling tools in there, or a two piece grinder. Has a nice little pocket on the inside I keep the brush and an oil pad in.

JustsVapeityo,

grokit

well-worn member

vapecase-volcano-crafty-contents.jpg

http://www.puffitup.com/Crafty-Vape-Case-p/vapecasecrafty.htm

grokit,

skeletor

You probably are getting a whole new Crafty. Your description was my experience, and my new Crafty just got here. Note that you likely need to sign for your package -- check your Stamps.com notification. It would have been nice if Storz & Bickel bothered to tell anyone that someone will need to be home to receive the package.

I use the RYOT HeadCase. Sucker is smell proof. Fits the Crafty and filling tool, can actually put 2 filling tools in there, or a two piece grinder. Has a nice little pocket on the inside I keep the brush and an oil pad in.

This looks great -- thanks for the heads up on the HeadCase!
@grokit thanks for the VapeCase link too!

Finally, I thought I'd report in with a few new pictures as well, because my new Crafty is definitely a different mold from my old one, and my old one was only 3 months old and running Firmware 2.07 (SN in the 17000's). I threw the pics up on imgur so that they wouldn't be huge and in everyone's way. You can get them here: http://imgur.com/a/eRuSo/all

My replacement has a 2.08 firmware and a SN in the 27000's. You might notice that changes have been made to the top and front of the housing (and in my case, it looks like the left side of the new "front" was sloppily pulled from the mold as I have a dimple in the plastic... but at this point it works, I've documented it, and I'm not doing another 7-10 days of wait and see over a cosmetic issue.

First session went just fine. I am cautiously optimistic, glad to have a more reinforced housing, and at least now I have a whole second set of accessories! Now let's hope I don't obtain a third set. :p

Top Bottom