Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Michel

I used to do that with my LSV, but the finer particles would get through its coarse screen. I don't have a crafty. Do you foresee any problem with doing it this way in the Crafty with respect to little particles getting farther down into the unit?
Thanks!

I should have mentioned I use the fine sieves exclusively. I can imagine a large amount of fine particles escaping through the very large meshes of the standard screen directly into the CU.

Edit: I use very fine steel wool to polish the bowl if ISO doesn't work alone. A very gunked bowl looks like new in some minutes. I can still imagine the magic eraser could be faster, I will try this in the future.

Weez65

I used to do that with my LSV, but the finer particles would get through its coarse screen. I don't have a crafty. Do you foresee any problem with doing it this way in the Crafty with respect to little particles getting farther down into the unit?
Thanks!

Funny thing is, I JUST tried vaping a nug about 20 minutes ago. Wanted to try this out. I also tried the suggestion of using the back of the pick to crush the nug after a few hits.

I had to LoL a little, as the first thing I read when I opend FC is your concern about grounding material into the screen, because that is the EXACT question that entered my mind as I tried it out. "I hope this is not mucking up my screen."

i like that I can do this and it works decently. The just tossing in a nug thing I mean. It's a option I know I have now. But I don't think it will change my habits. I do feel like I get a nicer hit from ground material. How much is the convenience of not grinding compared to the possible loss of performance worth to a person? We all have our own tastes and needs so I could definitely see this being the way for some. :tup:

I DID like...
Not having to grind and thought it vaped fairly well.

I DIDNT like... That I had to remove the lid a couple times, and in fact could see this being a problem in some places, like the very windy beach that I live near.

That while stirring ( And this is something I'd probably get better at predicting. ) some material "popped" up and got in the hard to get to area around the o-ring.

In my first attempt, while it performed decently, I felt the clouds were whispier, and in fact really didn't get fuller until the very end. If you are not a cloud chaser, this probably will not bother you. I admit it is a bit of a failing of mine and I am to some degree a CC.

==========

The crushing the bud with the reverse end of the poker made me nervous, I'd like to ask Michel if he ever finds material under the screen? This is not a problem I've had to deal with and I think I'd like to keep it that way. Good suggestion if not, as it did work pretty well. And I can see no material under my screen after one use.

Sticksandstones Ty for heads up and info, I feel like this is something I may do from time to time. I think it might be particularly impressive to people that are not familiar with the crafty, as you demonstrate the vapes power and ability to easily vape an unground bud. :tup:

Weez65,
Reactions: Michel

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I used to only do it occasionally for the same reasons you mentioned. Eventually I fell in love with the stronger taste and what I think are stronger effects. But it took me a long time to come around to it.

freshly baked

I want to open a small debate that think hasn't been brought up yet.

My unit is nearly 100 hours of use, only having used herb and taking good care of the unit. It's one of the first units CY0029XX and had to be serviced at 50h usage due to sudden death syndrome, guess they changed the battery since hour count is reset but that has nothing to do with the upcoming question.

The issue is that I'm beginning to notice is a minor ABV flavor at the start of the session, even after having cleaned the mouthpiece, bowl and with the screen pulled out and throroughtly cleaned as well. It may be from the minor ABV ring that has formed in the fix between the metal ring and the cone area which I've been able to clean a bit with the pointed side of the poker tool but not completely.

I also find that the scratches created by the sponge (which I only used with half charges and regret) are getting some minor gunk (pic at bottom).

I'd like to know if you guys may have any tip to have this areas cleaned, have tried everything I could think of that wouldn't risk the vape (alcohol pads included), but my worst fear is that it may come from the insides of the heating chamber in which some ABV dust might have gone (seen black dust in the bottom part of the bowl under the screen while cleaning) after some usage time.

I still have to try using the vape without herb after a full cleaning to be completely sure and I may be just paranoid (noticed this on the first hit after the last bowl cleaning) but has anybody else felt this same issue? Before someone suggests it I'm not dipping this thing in alcohol unless the manufacturer tells me to :p

A pic to illustrate, has been used a bit since last cleaning.

zQ5a8HL.jpeg
I use the SS concentrate pad as a cleaning tool. I dip it in alcohol turn my unit upside down and spin the unit back and forth for about 5 or 10 minutes with the pad pinched in my fingers. Then I follow up with pad wet with water same way. Finally I use a piece of tp the same way wet then dry. It looks nearly new afterwards but the small crack near the rim is a hard to clean.

DorianGray

I just got my second replacement (bad moulding twice). On newest units you don't have to hold the button, it's instantaneous. I got to check what fv it is whenever I find a smarthphone.

It's 3 AM, I just vaped a nice bowl of Blue Dream. Good night / Hello guys.

its like you came from the future, tell us more bro! what else is different?

DorianGray,
Reactions: tdriver

Michel

Funny thing is, I JUST tried vaping a nug about 20 minutes ago. Wanted to try this out. I also tried the suggestion of using the back of the pick to crush the nug after a few hits.

I had to LoL a little, as the first thing I read when I opend FC is your concern about grounding material into the screen, because that is the EXACT question that entered my mind as I tried it out. "I hope this is not mucking up my screen."

i like that I can do this and it works decently. The just tossing in a nug thing I mean. It's a option I know I have now. But I don't think it will change my habits. I do feel like I get a nicer hit from ground material. How much is the convenience of not grinding compared to the possible loss of performance worth to a person? We all have our own tastes and needs so I could definitely see this being the way for some. :tup:

I DID like...
Not having to grind and thought it vaped fairly well.

I DIDNT like... That I had to remove the lid a couple times, and in fact could see this being a problem in some places, like the very windy beach that I live near.

That while stirring ( And this is something I'd probably get better at predicting. ) some material "popped" up and got in the hard to get to area around the o-ring.

In my first attempt, while it performed decently, I felt the clouds were whispier, and in fact really didn't get fuller until the very end. If you are not a cloud chaser, this probably will not bother you. I admit it is a bit of a failing of mine and I am to some degree a CC.

==========

The crushing the bud with the reverse end of the poker made me nervous, I'd like to ask Michel if he ever finds material under the screen? This is not a problem I've had to deal with and I think I'd like to keep it that way. Good suggestion if not, as it did work pretty well. And I can see no material under my screen after one use.

Sticksandstones Ty for heads up and info, I feel like this is something I may do from time to time. I think it might be particularly impressive to people that are not familiar with the crafty, as you demonstrate the vapes power and ability to easily vape an unground bud. :tup:

I have always black dust under the bottom screen, even if i I pregrind exclusively. It's probably true that crushing the nug in the bowl makes this worse and produces more dust.
It's depending a little on the strain, too. I have some Kush here, nugs hard like rocks, not easy to crush. Then I have other, more fluffy buds I can just stick in the bowl with light pressure, without crushing at all and I still get even ABV and there aren't really activities left. I can dumb a solid ABV nug after the session without dust or mess at all (sometimes).
It's possible to "finish" an unground nug completely with enough heat and time, without crushing. When I use unground bud, I start at higher temps (190'C at least) to get the same thick clouds. To be true, I only crush down if I overpacked the bowl before and draw resistance was to high or vapor production just don't want to start on very hard nugs.

Stirring in the bowl can be quite messy. It works, but if I would live near the windy beach I wouldn't open the CU mid session neither. What I do when out and about on windy locations or I simply don't want to make a sticky mess in my car is break the nug in smaller pieces like 3-10 "mini-nugs" before starting the session, vape them and just finish the bowl like it was loaded.

Edit: this post makes it seem I don't grind at all anymore. This isn't true, most of the times I still grind at home. It vapes the best with a coarse grind, imo.
But like you suggested there are situations you could have benefits from the mighty's powerful capabilities. I had to stay 2 nights at hospital this year and all I had with me was the mighty and some sticky bud... And some suggestions from FC-Family I remembered about vaping ungrinded nugs ;)

Last edited:

Churrucaman

I use the SS concentrate pad as a cleaning tool. I dip it in alcohol turn my unit upside down and spin the unit back and forth for about 5 or 10 minutes with the pad pinched in my fingers. Then I follow up with pad wet with water same way. Finally I use a piece of tp the same way wet then dry. It looks nearly new afterwards but the small crack near the rim is a hard to clean.

I just used the SS pad a few times and has left a lot of scratches in the bowl, as you can notice in the last picture I uploaded. Wouldn't it be better to use a cotton gauze or similar?

Would be nice to see your bowl if you can take a pic :cool:

Mr. Me2

I just used the SS pad a few times and has left a lot of scratches in the bowl, as you can notice in the last picture I uploaded. Wouldn't it be better to use a cotton gauze or similar?

Would be nice to see your bowl if you can take a pic :cool:
You may want to check out Vape Critic's cleaning video. He recommends using some type of firm, pointy q-tip (I think he got at a CVS). That (after dipped in ISO) may help getting in the hard to get places...

Tek

So I'm new here but have been following this thread and when the prices dropped I knew I had to buy the crafty. 8 hours on it so far and I am still amazed at it's power and efficiency, I used a plenty exclusively for almost two years and while it's great it just uses way too much and I was getting used to it. I've cut way back now but am using it a lot because I'm not using the plenty and I have an evo but I'm not super impressed with it for flower unless I need a proper glass set up but it's all I use anymore for concentrates, for that it's amazing. Anyways I just wanted to say hi and thank everyone for the awesome input and advice based on real life usage, much appreciated.

ligi

ligi
ligi,

Balzac

I had a problem recently where I was at two bars of battery but the Crafty would not turn on - it was not overheated either. Is this a common problem?

Balzac,
Reactions: Michel

mixchu69

Sup folks,

Let me present myself with this easy peasy DIY water tool adapter for those that may have some Solo stuff laying around, like me :p

MATERIALS:

- Your solo water tool adapter or straight stem if compatible with your water tool
- High temperature solo size silicone ring

REQUIRED SKILL: A single handed monkey can do it.

Load the stem bowl and not the Crafty. Full convection bonus btw :cool:; consider rising the temp a bit.

Slap me if this has already occurred to some one, swear I read most of the topic.

Some pics for your enjoyment:

Bbeohh6l.jpg

3xhz6FCm.jpg
03WeMD0m.jpg

6aBjvOom.jpg
Thank you for the great idea. I posted picks in the mighty thread and the solo pvhes gong fits perfectly in the mighty bowl. Eliminates the complaints from people who taste plastic (I personally don't taste it) Pure convection (maybe a tiny bit of conduction) and no leaking vapor, which is my favorite part.

blumpkinator

Crafty finally died on me.

Took a road trip from Anchorage AK, to Denver CO. Crafty was my constant companion on the trip and never let me down.

I was worried about bringing it into Canada and back, but that wasn't an issue. I just cleaned it up with ISO before tossing in my bag.

Bringing herb into Canada via the Yukon was no problem, and thankfully WA has dispensaries so I could re-up as soon as we crossed the USA border. I almost got sent to secondary search at the WA border just for being from Alaska. Apparently there's a huge issue with Alaskans not declaring guns.
Having logged about 10 hours on crafty in just the 3 days we were in Canada; I noticed it taking longer to heat up, and beginning to overheat about the time we got to WA. Crafty continued to hang in there keeping me happily medicated for the remainder of the trip. I got the dreaded "Vaporizer is faulty, send to S&B" message the last night of my trip.
I brought the dead crafty on the plane with me in my carry on no problem [along with some edibles for the flights]

Once again Storz & Bickel customer service was excellent. I simply packaged up my dead crafty, along with a paper containing my shipping/contact info, and proof of purchase and sent to Oakland. One week later I received a brand new crafty in a sealed box with all the usual accessories!

freshly baked

You may want to check out Vape Critic's cleaning video. He recommends using some type of firm, pointy q-tip (I think he got at a CVS). That (after dipped in ISO) may help getting in the hard to get places...
Stainless doesn't hurt stainless too awful bad. The only scratches i noticed were minor not concerning to me. Ill do a before and after over the weekend. Ive done this at least 5 times with no apparent negative consequences.

Last edited:
freshly baked,
Reactions: skyvaper

Michel

I had a problem recently where I was at two bars of battery but the Crafty would not turn on - it was not overheated either. Is this a common problem?

Never read about this neither but I experienced this once some weeks ago. Auto-shut-off interrupted my session and crafty didn't turn on again, even after resetting the unit. 4 bars battery left... After a session with the mighty the crafty worked again!

Michel,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Well I have yet another brand new Crafty in my hands thanks to S&B. Now the interesting thing was when I tried to connect with the app it didn't work correctly. No battery display, weird temps, and no control of any kind even after entering the new serial #. So I uninstalled the app and re-downloaded it, noticing that the download went way too fast and after re-installing it still wouldn't work. Turns out I had to connect my phone to my computer and manually clear the downloads folder, uninstall the app, then re-download it again and reinstall it to get it to work properly. So it does work properly now however I no longer have access to the diagnostic panel. Oh well. Thanks @JCat for doing the original "modification" I will miss it but obviously do not need it. Just glad it works . . . :)

Churrucaman

I bet it's sparkling clean but also scratched like hell :lol:

Would dare to try with a convincing pic though (of the unit ;))

Looked at the time but haven't found any like these in the old continent, guess I'll have to :science:

Thank you for the great idea. I posted picks in the mighty thread and the solo pvhes gong fits perfectly in the mighty bowl. Eliminates the complaints from people who taste plastic (I personally don't taste it) Pure convection (maybe a tiny bit of conduction) and no leaking vapor, which is my favorite part.

I don't have it anymore since sold it a few days ago so I can't take pic but the MFLB glass stem is perfect for the users which prefer glass and can be easily adapted.

Just use the stock crafty's stem small ring to tight the seal between the stem and the main mouthpiece block and it's done. Can't twist this but you can pull it out and get the stock stem back in seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

freshly baked

I bet it's sparkling clean but also scratched like hell :lol:

Would dare to try with a convincing pic though (of the unit ;))

Looked at the time but haven't found any like these in the old continent, guess I'll have to :science:
Alright you twisted my arm Lol. I couldnt be happier with these results! Try it at your own risk....... as you can see, mines seen alot of heavy use!
C78O7c0.jpg

Mv0NbNn.jpg

pJfU3EO.jpg

rTXDEWk.jpg

Churrucaman

Alright you twisted my arm Lol. I couldnt be happier with these results! Try it at your own risk....... as you can see, mines seen alot of heavy use!

Looks polished like brand new, I'll definitely try this out.

What did you use to get that gunk in there btw? nutella? :haw:

Now we just need someone to come up with a way to clean the rims and we're set :)

freshly baked

I wish I could claim my stuff was just that sticky and good but its not Lol. I just haven't cleaned it lately and I can go through about 2 G's a day. Now one of those gs is normally through my crafty which actually died yesterday. But I like the results. It has some fine scratches but I haven't had any problems yet. Knock on wood as S & B probably wouldn't recommend it. But you can tell by the condition of my bowl I haven't much choice but to get aggressive lol! enjoy your Crafty my friend!

freshly baked,

skyvaper

Those dark spots that looked like scratches are now gone thanks to the liquid pad iso trick. What I thought caused the cosmetic eye sore actually fixed it. Chamber is sparkling like new save for the rim. Love this thread!! Whos going to pull the trigger on the upside down just enough to cover the rim iso soak? I say we vote by location. Closest to oakland is the winner? Lol

skyvaper

Wait they aren't scratches? :D

Oh boy I gotta try this

Yep they WILL go away using the pad. I thought it was permanent as I have spent too much time to admit trying to buff it out with iso on a q tip. I was going to get magic eraser as someone suggested but I kept forgetting to pick it up from the store but I read @freshly baked method and had an extra pad so I said why not. I hated looking at those scratches even though it was only seconds before it was covered with material.

Top Bottom