Cool music to vape to, you know the tunes that move you

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Trout Mask? No - you can't listen to an album like that with a remote control in your hand.
It requires submission and repeated listening to get it. I know it's dense and brutal and unrelenting - to me it's a masterpiece.
Some of my favorite all time albums were albums that I hated when I first heard it, like "Absolutely Free."

jeffp,

the electrician

no i mean its a poor example of the genre, if youre gonna call that dense youve got some discoveries ahead. you have no idea what dense, brutal and unrelenting mean

the electrician,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
of what genre? how do you know that i have no idea what dense and unrelenting mean? yeah i know about ornette coleman.

jeffp,

the electrician

because what you called a masterpiece i considered more of a demo tape from a group of 16 years just discovering drugs.

were clearly talking about avant garde. secret chiefs 3 are pretty much my butt buddies these days and they set the bar very very high.

the electrician,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
vliet and the magic band as sixteen year old dilettantes?
avant garde can mean a million different things - "the american metaphysical circus" for example is definitely avant garde on a conceptual level but it's not dense and unrelenting. same goes for "tonto's expanding head band," just to cite a few examples off the top of my head.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
any more? we don't even know each other.
why are you provoking a fight?
you know that i obviously know what i'm talking about.
you dislike an album that i love and you dismiss it - that doesn't invalidate your sensibilities or mine, does it?

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
it's not a great achievement or measure of distinction to know what you're talking about nor does it suggest that an informed music consumer is a "professional."
but yeah i do know what i'm talking about and you probably do also.

jeffp,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Anything by members of the AACM (Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians).
Two of my favorites are Full Force and Live at Mandel Hall. Both albums by The Art Ensemble of Chicago.

chucku,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
"Touchstones" is gorgeous, on ECM. The album "Northern Song" from guitarist Steve Tibbets is on that great label as well. Now that's a perfect album to have playing during a late night vape session.

jeffp,

Plotinus

jeff, what is your feeling re: ornette coleman? i've had an album or two of his lying around for awhile and have immense difficulty getting into him. would love to hear anything that would help.

Plotinus,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
You might like "The Shape of Jazz To Come" - it's just as interior, "free jazz," "avant garde," but I think more accessible. "Love Call" is also a beautiful yet complex album. That's actually my favorite Ornette album, for no particular reason. It's all a matter of taste, whether or not music is deemed brilliant and revolutionary or not, it's all about what you like and don't like.

Tell me this isn't a fantastic record cover:

51M63SBK4NL._SS500_.jpg

jeffp,

Plotinus

i'm embarrassed to say "shape of jazz to come" is what i've been having such trouble with. i guess i just need to be more patient.

it's always been my experience that the best albums are the ones that take many, many listens to open up to me. but this one -- i wonder if i just don't have enough jazz under my belt. i'll keep trying.

Plotinus,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Well in the meantime check out Kenny Burrell, "God Bless The Child." It's produced by Creed Taylor from Verve and of CTI and it has that lush, no holds barred type of arrangements that he did so well.
Also check out any of the small band Wes Montgomery albums like "Boss Guitar" but also check out his later A&M material like "A Day In The Life" - that period is somewhat dismissed as being overly arranged by Don Sebesky and less "pure" but to me it's all brilliant and masterful.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Charles Bukowski made 24 allusions to Mahler, including specific references to the Fifth and Tenth Symphonies, and the movie Barfly included parts of Mahler's Sixth. Mahler's music is a search for the meaning of life, and in "Notes of a Dirty Old Man" Bukowski listened to Mahler in the dark.

jeffp,

sour

I don't know too much about Jazz but my friend at work burned me one called Sun Ra - The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra. I'm about to load another vapor tube then give it a listen. :)

sour,
Currently listening to the masterpiece by Sublime, "Robbin' the Hood". I love this album. I revisit it every year, about this time, to amp myself up for spring and summer. Great for vapin' to.

SkeletonLips,

sour

Listening to Little Brother / ..and Justus for All
I've been slowly getting back into underground rap lately. It's a guilty pleasure :)

sour,

Konrad_Zuse

I listen to VGM and Techno/trance/house/ambient, etc. I love the beats and everything, I feel right in the middle of the action :).

Konrad_Zuse,
hopandstop said:
Check out Frog Eyes and Blackout Beach, and Blue Pine if you're so inclined.
Carey Mercer has such an interesting and unique voice. Have you checked out Swan Lake? I love those guys' music. A canadian supergroup of today!
Konrad, what artists do you listen to? I love learning about new electronic artists, as they usually don't have the same amount of publicity that most other kinds of musicians get. And I got into electronic music deep, for the last two years or so, but have listened to Aphex Twin for about 12 years now. So much good shit coming out these days.
Sour, I was listening to Clouddead's self titled album the other day, and turned a friend on to their brand of underground rap. Do you listen to any Doom, Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, or Finale? Those are a few underground ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I would love to hear some suggestions on new artists from you, too.

SkeletonLips,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
check this out if you're into spacey music - they were the first rock band to tour and record with synthesizers..

front_cover_small.jpg

jeffp,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom