Cool music to vape to, you know the tunes that move you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

vaporist
I've been getting into pandora lately. I think my all time favorite band is Yo La Tengo and I just had on the Yo La Tengo station the other night. F'n awesome. I got lost for hours.

Ash,
I fucking love Hella!! Acoustics is my favorite album. Have you heard of the Ladies? It's Zach Hill and Rob Crow (from an awesome band called Pinback), it's really good stuff. I also like Lightning bolt, who if you haven't heard of, is amazing, and the same kinda sound.
Edited to add- I have Yo la tengo's entire discography. I have been lucky enough to see them twice. Great, great band, who can make you feel any emotion just about.

SkeletonLips,

hopandstop

Oh yeah, the Ladies are great. Great bands you listed. Heard his stuff with Marnie Stern? Crazy..

Also a fan of Lightening Bolt. Wolf Eyes, Black Dice, etc. More noise-oriented, but the sonic assault is the same.

hopandstop,
I've got all of Black Dice's albums. And I've got an ep, and a full length from Wolf Eyes. Awesome stuff to listen to when everything else seems boring at the time. The last time I got drunk by myself, I put on a Wolf Eyes album, and I finally got them. Now I can listen to them sober...lol.... Black Dice are evidently a big influence on one of my favorite bands, Animal Collective. I love how they just keep pushing the musical envelope.

SkeletonLips,

the electrician

did somebody say lightning bolt? top band there. i never understood the allure of noise myself, but i know of merzbow and the boredoms, maybe check them out. they might even be good!

my latest offerings are a couple id forgotten about: deserts of traun and the orange tulip conspiracy, if you liked the avant garde i posted on the other page youll enjoy these. if you dont like the things i posted on the other page there is something very wrong with you

the electrician,
Anyone here a fan of Emmylou Harris? Her "Last Date" live album is amazing. Her voice is so beautiful, feminine, powerful, and sexy in a classy sorta way.
I've also been listenin' to some br5-49 lately. "Me 'n' Opie (down by the duck pond)" gets down, and makes me smile.
Buddy and Julie Miller have also been a recent find for me. Awesome harmonies, and great musicianship, especially Buddy's guitar. I guess I've been in a country, folky kinda mood lately.

SkeletonLips,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Nightwatchman is good, Tom Morello's (of Rage Against The Machine) solo project. Also been digging Palodine, Heartless Bastards, and Gram Rabbit lately.

DevoTheStrange,

sour

Quasimoto / The Unseen

a classic underground rap album. listening to this while my PD heats up!

sour,

Plotinus

Ash said:
I've been getting into pandora lately. I think my all time favorite band is Yo La Tengo and I just had on the Yo La Tengo station the other night. F'n awesome. I got lost for hours.
one of my all-time favorites as well. i never get tired of exploring their (huge) back catalog. just had 'nothing turned itself inside out' on the other night. i was lucky enough to see them live last year at a club down the street, and they did not disappoint.

i fondly remember a night in college. we were passing around a pipe in my dorm, and i suggested we put on a yo la tengo album. i was met with heavy skepticism by most of the folks around, but went ahead anyway with 'summer sun'. by song 3 everyone in the room had been converted; some of them even approached me later to ask if i could burn the album for them.

Plotinus,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
SkeletonLips said:
Anyone here a fan of Emmylou Harris? Her "Last Date" live album is amazing. Her voice is so beautiful, feminine, powerful, and sexy in a classy sorta way.
I've also been listenin' to some br5-49 lately. "Me 'n' Opie (down by the duck pond)" gets down, and makes me smile.
Buddy and Julie Miller have also been a recent find for me. Awesome harmonies, and great musicianship, especially Buddy's guitar. I guess I've been in a country, folky kinda mood lately.
Great stuff. I also love listening to Laura Nyro - you ever hear "Stoned Soul Picnic"? I think her music fits the nuances of vaping perfectly and it doesn't sound dated at all.

jeffp,
Thanks jeffp and Devo, I will have to check out this Laura person. I'm pretty intrigued.
By the way, the new MGMT "congratulations" album is a neat little throwback to surf rock, and 60's pop, without really sounding like they are copying someone. It's totally different from their debut album. No real "dance" songs, or modern sounding synths much, either. Their old fans will either love it or hate it. They are streaming it now, I believe, still.

SkeletonLips,
Oh, I love Band of Bees. One of my favorite songs of theirs is "Sweet like a champion". In fact, that whole album is amazing. It's also been a long while since I've listened to it. Gotta get it out and play it now.

SkeletonLips,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
King Khan and the Shrines also has a good LoFi psychedelic sound.
I also dig anything by Daptone Records. Kind has that old sound from the 60's and 70's R&B... and they only use vintage instruments and equipment to get that sound.

DevoTheStrange,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
SkeletonLips said:
Thanks jeffp and Devo, I will have to check out this Laura person. I'm pretty intrigued.
By the way, the new MGMT "congratulations" album is a neat little throwback to surf rock, and 60's pop, without really sounding like they are copying someone. It's totally different from their debut album. No real "dance" songs, or modern sounding synths much, either. Their old fans will either love it or hate it. They are streaming it now, I believe, still.
i'll check out MGMT. my favorite post sixties surf band is laika and the cosmonauts.

also if you want to hear something very trippy and fun, check out 'the dukes of stratosphere' - it's actually xtc; it's their psychedelic band alter ego.

yeah i fell in love with laura nyro from the first day i heard her and her beautiful soulful personage. she was so brilliant as a songwriter and singer.

jeffp,
Ha, I've got a couple of King Khan's albums, even got to see him live. A badass born too late, or just in time. Who knows?
I think you would like a band called The Dirtbombs, if you like that kind of stuff. And I will definitely check out Daptone records' roster.

SkeletonLips,
Jeffp, I've got 4 XTC albums, and my favorite is skylarking. "Dear God" is an amazing song. I also have a Dukes of Stratosphere album. I did NOT know they were the same band, though. Dang, I feel dumb. Awesome taste in music here! One of the reasons I like this place so much.
Edited to add- I am about 7 songs in to Psonic Psunspot, and can't see how I missed the connection. I got the album as a gift, it was burned for me, so I had no cover notes. The person who gave it to me also said nothing. I must now give XTC extra props now.

SkeletonLips,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
A very challenging listen....

%5BAllCDCovers%5D_captain_beefheart_trout_mask_replica_1994_retail_cd-front.jpg

jeffp,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom