Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

What does everyone think about Nogoo products? I recently purchased some Nogoo containers, a Nogoo plate and a Nogoo scraper. I am still very new to this concentrates game but I am finding those tools useful. I did a full scale (for me) QWISO run on Saturday. I had 10 grams of good bud and I ended up .5 of a gram of what I would describe as wax. I have been having a lot of trouble handling concentrates and was losing a lot while scraping and transferring. This seems to have been eliminated now. However, I was wondering if using a Nogoo plate would have any influence on whether I get shatter or not. I am hoping to get another .3 from my second run. That would give me a return of 8%. Is that reasonable? I still feel like I am missing something.

Mr. Gweilo 420,
Reactions: vakedcow

Bouldorado

I've come to expect around 10% from trim, 15% from mid-grade bud or shake, and 20% from top shelf bud.

What kind of extraction pan do you have? I like to use something with gently sloping corners/edges to make scraping easier.

I'm using the Nogoo plate for my tray. It is easy to manipulate and there is very little left behind. I'm not sure if this is the best option though. I wouldn't call the buds I used top shelf by US standards but they were pretty decent. Seems my return was a little low.

Mr. Gweilo 420,

herbivore21

• Is making oil and wax as easy as it appears?
  • How long does the entire process take?
  • Does the process smell strong?
My significant other does not participate and would not be thrilled if I stink up the apartment for days at a time...
You've probably seen the glass I am making with QWISO. PM me and I will gladly help walk you through everything you need to do the same, without any risk of injury and so quickly that your head will spin. I just did a nug run in 1.5 hours from the wash to a completed evaporation process. Rock hard shatter. Every time. :)

If you have a good rangehood fan, the process need not smell strongly.

hishighness

You've probably seen the glass I am making with QWISO. PM me and I will gladly help walk you through everything you need to do the same, without any risk of injury and so quickly that your head will spin. I just did a nug run in 1.5 hours from the wash to a completed evaporation process. Rock hard shatter. Every time. :)

If you have a good rangehood fan, the process need not smell strongly.
A quick question, someone recently told me that you can't make shatter unless it's from very nice fresh material - I was under the impression shatter was almost always possible so long as it's kept below the proper temperatures while under vacuum. Any experience with something that wouldn't turn to shatter?

hishighness,
Reactions: farscaper

Radio

stay true to yourselves
Can you vape shatter in a normal unmodified Arizer Extreme Q without any special attachments?

Radio,

herbivore21

A quick question, someone recently told me that you can't make shatter unless it's from very nice fresh material - I was under the impression shatter was almost always possible so long as it's kept below the proper temperatures while under vacuum. Any experience with something that wouldn't turn to shatter?
You can make shatter from anything with undamaged trichomes in it. Trim, buds (of any quality), kief (especially this!) and even reclaim (only from concentrates, not from vaping flowers) can be used to produce shatter. It is more about keeping the wash time short enough, and the evaporation temperature low enough, you cannot ever let the evap get above 70-80 Celsius, or you are getting wax, not shatter IME.

farscaper

extraction is art and science.... not just science, as some would have you believe. and science involving organics is half art.

its why so many refer to extraction as alchemy.

just sayn.

farscaper,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
So I got a new quartz domeless nail. Cleaned and did a heat/cool cycle. 1st and second dab tasted great,
but I had a little amber residue (didn't vape off, nail too cool?), so I torched it, but it kind of burned off, left a hard brown residue that won't come off with ISO. Dab after that tasted like poo. Is "combusting" on a nail a no-no? Do I need to do anything to get rid of that residue? My dome/nail rig got more of a black "tint" in come areas and tastes fine.

pigfoot,

farscaper

So I got a new quartz domeless nail. Cleaned and did a heat/cool cycle. 1st and second dab tasted great,
but I had a little amber residue (didn't vape off, nail too cool?), so I torched it, but it kind of burned off, left a hard brown residue that won't come off with ISO. Dab after that tasted like poo. Is "combusting" on a nail a no-no? Do I need to do anything to get rid of that residue? My dome/nail rig got more of a black "tint" in come areas and tastes fine.
try torching it off.

farscaper,
Reactions: DieHard

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
Just needs more fire to clean.

try torching it off.

Ok, will do. Didn't know if that was ok with quartz, works great on the ceramic, but takes a lot of heat.

So, another question. The shatter I have now (only concentrate I've tried), makes me very relaxed. No anxious feeling like I get from flowers at all. Is this true for dabs in general, or just my batch?

Caligula

Maximus
With use, you want a grey ashy coating to cover the quartz eventually. If it's black you need to burn it more. You can feel free to torch the shit out of the nail as long as it's real quartz as well. The black stuff needs to turn red hot before it'll turn to that grey ash... and it might even light on fire before it's done. Just keep torching even if it flames up.

Also it depends on the type of flowers the shatters made from.

Bouldorado

I'm using the Nogoo plate for my tray. It is easy to manipulate and there is very little left behind. I'm not sure if this is the best option though. I wouldn't call the buds I used top shelf by US standards but they were pretty decent. Seems my return was a little low.

If you're getting almost everything off the plate, then your low yield is either from your filter setup or your not soaking the buds long enough. It could just be the starting material though- I've had some disappointing returns from bud/shake that looks pretty good.

herbivore21

Ok, will do. Didn't know if that was ok with quartz, works great on the ceramic, but takes a lot of heat.

So, another question. The shatter I have now (only concentrate I've tried), makes me very relaxed. No anxious feeling like I get from flowers at all. Is this true for dabs in general, or just my batch?
I actually get the same effect my friend, it is a much more pleasant high I find. Very uplifting, no couchlock, very psychadelic. Different concentrates made from different strains, or using different methods will vary, remember that the entourage effect responsible for that lovely high you have just gotten depends on the constituent terps (including cannabinoids) in the particular concentrate.

However, since trying shatter, I always know what time it is - because every day is Shatterday!

Cheers

farscaper

I honestly think that the vaporization of chlorophyll and a few other compounds is why I find vaping flowers less pleasent than vaping extracts. dont get me wrong ill vape flowers all day if I have no oil.... gotta love that clean clear high right! makes me wonder if all the chumps these days had all the alchemy mixed up. they wernt trying to make metal.... they were extracting REAL GOLD! :doh::rofl::razz:

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!

Just needs more fire to clean.

try torching it off.

With use, you want a grey ashy coating to cover the quartz eventually. If it's black you need to burn it more. You can feel free to torch the shit out of the nail as long as it's real quartz as well. The black stuff needs to turn red hot before it'll turn to that grey ash... and it might even light on fire before it's done. Just keep torching even if it flames up.

Also it depends on the type of flowers the shatters made from.

That works great! The DI quartz domeless I am using now is easy to torch clean, much quicker than the large ceramic nail. Cleans up nice and tastes SOO good :)

I actually get the same effect my friend, it is a much more pleasant high I find. Very uplifting, no couchlock, very psychadelic. Different concentrates made from different strains, or using different methods will vary, remember that the entourage effect responsible for that lovely high you have just gotten depends on the constituent terps (including cannabinoids) in the particular concentrate.

However, since trying shatter, I always know what time it is - because every day is Shatterday!

Cheers

MMM, today IS shatterday!

I honestly think that the vaporization of chlorophyll and a few other compounds is why I find vaping flowers less pleasent than vaping extracts. dont get me wrong ill vape flowers all day if I have no oil.... gotta love that clean clear high right! makes me wonder if all the chumps these days had all the alchemy mixed up. they wernt trying to make metal.... they were extracting REAL GOLD! :doh::rofl::razz:

At least with what I have now, I definitely prefer the concentrate. Time will tell, I guess.

SunnyHours

I've been thinking about BHO for a while. I'm in Canada and as far as I know, there isn't a ton of Oil around here. About a year ago I did make a small batch with a bong downstem and Colibri butane. The resulting plate was then put in a warm water bath. The final scraped goo was then put on a heated Ti nail. It tasted so disgusting...so I've never re-attempted since then. I'm unsure what the problem was...might of been some plastic that was extracted with the butane, and I didn't have a vacuum so it wasn't vacuum purged, just heat purged.

Is it really supposed to taste like weed or is there a chemical taste because it's so strong?
Also, I probably got a new hookup for some Budder...what are the prices you pay? I heard like 100$/gram???

I just thought about it, and I collected some "wand" hash from the bowl of my Vriptech Heat Wand kit and found it tasted pretty bad, is that normal?

I'm just wondering why everywhere I look people are saying dabs are great and they taste amazing and so on, and the few times I've made BHO or vaped wand hash it tasted "chemicaly"?

P.S: I apologize for starting a thread, didn't see it on Mobile (and I was a bit too medicated) so made the thread on computer... :p

SunnyHours,

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
I'm a bit of a newb myself, but I'll let you know that they really do have little to no taste and are super smooth hitting.

You get hints of weed but nothing chemically like you are describing.

My experience comes from a limited number of dabs on various oil rigs and my frequent "dabbing" on a coil tank.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I am new to BHO/wax I think it taste terrible and I am buying from a dispensary, the good stuff. I bought the Dabbler and it's easy to use and a good product. I just don't like the taste of the BHO/wax.

I am mixing it with my herb in my Solo tastes much better that way, especially if you have good tasting herb like like Lemon Haze.

The price at a dispensary is 2 grams of BHO for $25 dollars. I'm sure the black market is probably double if you can even get it.

I've tried a few different kinds and they all taste awful by themselves. That's been my experience.

Last edited:

farscaper

@SunnyHours I would suggest to start researching by reading through this whole q&a thread. you asked alot of questions that have been fairly easily answered in this thread already I think...

on taste though. remember that taste(the sense) is in and of itself subjective and unique to the user.

concentrates will not smell like vaped or smoked bud becuase there is no plant matter in it. you smell whatever terpenes are from that strain and the actual oleo resins from the plant.

when the oil tastes like hot oil it is often overpurged perhaps even past decarboxylation to the point the oil became burnt. it coukd also have been underpurged if it tasted of butane and made you cough for hours in the throat.

finally, quality in quality out is the saying round here. If you use brick commercial swag or leaf thats too dry and crumbly you will end up with chlorophyll in the concentrate. you refered to it as goo so im gonna guess it was greenish black. not golden or honey or yellow in color.

green is bad on concentrates and ruins the flavor so its possible there was contamination from plant matter or as you stated some other foreign contamination.

end.

Caligula

Maximus
I've been thinking about BHO for a while. I'm in Canada and as far as I know, there isn't a ton of Oil around here. About a year ago I did make a small batch with a bong downstem and Colibri butane. The resulting plate was then put in a warm water bath. The final scraped goo was then put on a heated Ti nail. It tasted so disgusting...so I've never re-attempted since then. I'm unsure what the problem was...might of been some plastic that was extracted with the butane, and I didn't have a vacuum so it wasn't vacuum purged, just heat purged.

Is it really supposed to taste like weed or is there a chemical taste because it's so strong?
Also, I probably got a new hookup for some Budder...what are the prices you pay? I heard like 100$/gram???

I just thought about it, and I collected some "wand" hash from the bowl of my Vriptech Heat Wand kit and found it tasted pretty bad, is that normal?

I'm just wondering why everywhere I look people are saying dabs are great and they taste amazing and so on, and the few times I've made BHO or vaped wand hash it tasted "chemicaly"?

P.S: I apologize for starting a thread, didn't see it on Mobile (and I was a bit too medicated) so made the thread on computer... :p

I've made the best shatter on earth taste like ass by dabbing at too high a temp. Just putting that out there.

herbivore21

That sounds like terrible bho Carolking! My qwiso tastes delicious! In fact:

ThUOkXR.jpg

herbivore21,

SunnyHours

No actually, and this is why I was disappointed, it was pretty much a thick golden oil and extremely sticky. It also smelled heavenly. It might of been the temperature of the nail as you said. I think back then I was doing like everyone does in the YouTube videos...

SunnyHours,
Top Bottom