• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cloud repairs

lazylathe

Almost there...
I thought i would start this thread to show you how i go about fixing broken Cloud bamboos!
I did not take too many photo's for this one because i was not sure if it would work!
I think i will be fixing a few more units for members along the way!

The first one i fixed for @olivianewtonjohn
It arrived with the top portion of the bamboo cleanly broken off at the level of the heater.
Luckily the heater still worked!

Here i have removed the heater from the broken bamboo and i have my spare bamboo next to it
2014-04-24171711_zps5e08930f.jpg

And installed over the replacement bamboo with the thermocouple in place.
I added a small amount of 3000 Degree Celsius furnace cement to hold the heater in place and also added a bit more over the connections just for a bit of extra longevity i hope.
2014-04-24173937_zpsf3b0ae5a.jpg

Reassembled the Cloud and burnt it in for a few days at varying temps for varying lengths of time.
During this process i discovered that this unit does not have an auto shut off feature!
After a few days of burn in i decided it was testing time!
Loaded up some Violator Kush and hit it hard with the HT, i gave it everything i could for a few pulls.
and this was the result!
2014-04-21211432_zps9e1c9703.jpg

I will be uploading a video of it in action later today!

lazylathe

Almost there...
You already found an alternative heater I think if we can find an alternative bamboo this thread will become very popular.

I would prefer to repair them with working original heaters and just replace the bamboo.
The silicone heaters work well but the slight smell of silicone always stays around and the housings need considerable modifications...

Repairs are FREE if you send all the parts!
Just pay shipping both ways!

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Like I said in the Cloud+ thread, I have a friend who is willing to make the glass bamboos at a reasonable price.
Send me a PM if interested.

Put a classified up about it and then you could just say 'check the classifieds' when someone is looking for one. You're technically breaking the 'no solicitations in threads' rule with the way you did it.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Okay as promised earlier here is the video.
We tried to take one with my friend using the Cloud as his lungs are huge but we were too medicated to get it right...

So this is one i shot the first time i had it back together for a few trial runs.
You will notice the bamboo is very loose because there was no extreme temp furnace cement holding it steady, i was still deciding if it was required.
After watching the video and seeing the movement in the bamboo i made some modifications and use the furnace cement.

As you can see i had the dial set exactly at 2:44!!! LMAO!!!
Clearly this was not my first test....
And not to mention the lack of water in my HT...
And don't mind me trying to avoid the camera either....
Anyway with everything wrong it still rocked!!!

Vapour production was excellent, flavour was spot on and the hit went straight home!

olivianewtonjohn

Okay as promised earlier here is the video.
We tried to take one with my friend using the Cloud as his lungs are huge but we were too medicated to get it right...

So this is one i shot the first time i had it back together for a few trial runs.
You will notice the bamboo is very loose because there was no extreme temp furnace cement holding it steady, i was still deciding if it was required.
After watching the video and seeing the movement in the bamboo i made some modifications and use the furnace cement.

As you can see i had the dial set exactly at 2:44!!! LMAO!!!
Clearly this was not my first test....
And not to mention the lack of water in my HT...
And don't mind me trying to avoid the camera either....
Anyway with everything wrong it still rocked!!!

Vapour production was excellent, flavour was spot on and the hit went straight home!

Beast mode. That hydrotube is nice but even nicer white walled :cool:

I started a thread for delicate vapes and how to avoid breaking them.

Thanks again lazyvape your time and spare bamboo, very much appreciated

lazylathe

Almost there...
Update time!!!

I have been trying a few mothods of reattaching the wire to the actual ceramic heater body again.

So far the Laser welder is too powerful, even at the lowest setting. No use for repairs...

Next machine to try was a high powered Electro-Soldering machine. Using a gold alloy i managed to bond it to the small plate and then attach the wire to the pool of solder.
I will be uploading some pictures tonight to show what i have managed to accomplish!
Take into consideration that i melted most of the thin metal plate off with the laser welder so the solder joint is not so clean this time...

Good news is that this solder can withstand heat of up to 1600 F!

Picture time!!

When i bought my Fake Cloud it came with a cracked heater, this is my test bed.
The first two pictures show the wire connected to the heater, one side has the cement on and i removed it from one side to gain access to the wire.

2014-05-21131148_zpsdd579215.jpg

2014-05-21131128_zpsd0ff64a1.jpg

The next picture shows the wire removed and the metal cleaned up, ready for electro-soldering!

2014-05-21131644_zpsbdaa13f7.jpg

And the final result! A good, solid joint that i am unable to pull the wire from!
You can see where the solder has a dip in it, that is because the laser welder disintegrated the thin metal!
2014-05-21164340_zps5a4b9bab.jpg

Once i receive the unit i will take pictures and post them.
Hoping this will be a long lasting repair for all those out there with heater wires that are loose!

Last edited:

Teedub

Wow just, wow. You sir are my hero of the week, well done doing what so many talked about!

In your opinion what would be the best stuff to put over the soldered heater connections on a working cloud, to help prevent the connection failure?

I've seen the furnace cement and high temp silicone's talked about before what would you recommend?

The fakexhales from ebay iirc some had a blue substance dabbed over it and some had the grey/cream cement. Does anybody know what the blue stuff was?

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
Wow just, wow. You sir are my hero of the week, well done doing what so many talked about!

In your opinion what would be the best stuff to put over the soldered heater connections on a working cloud, to help prevent the connection failure?

I've seen the furnace cement and high temp silicone's talked about before what would you recommend?

The fakexhales from ebay iirc some had a blue substance dabbed over it and some had the grey/cream cement. Does anybody know what the blue stuff was?

I think the blue is a type of flux or a high heat sealant of some type.
Underneath the blue the wires are soldered to the heaters connection.

The compound dabbed over the blue is a high heat furnace cement.
I think they started to add it to the connections just in case they came loose.
The cement hardens to the actual ceramic of the heater, that is why i think it was an extra fail safe.

I would use some furnace cement over the connections and then fire up the cloud a few times to harden the cement and to off gas any residue.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Update time!!

I have another dead Cloud in my possession!!!
Not really something to be excited about...BUT i have a new heater on order to test in this orphan!
If it works as i hope it does, it will be going back to it's owner for extensive testing!!

Cost of heater is $30, so not too bad!!
I should have it in hand in a few weeks time and results a few days later!

Stay tuned!

lazylathe

Almost there...
Replacement heater has landed!!
Some small miscommunications but still a very functional replacement.

An FC members Cloud is back together and heating as i type!
Some odd things happening with the thermocouple as it flashes red/green for some time and a tweak of the knob settles it right down to steady green.
No smell from the heater.

After a few minutes at noon i am getting small clouds, the outside of the case is only just warm.
Will be back in a few with an update!

olivianewtonjohn

Replacement heater has landed!!
Some small miscommunications but still a very functional replacement.

An FC members Cloud is back together and heating as i type!
Some odd things happening with the thermocouple as it flashes red/green for some time and a tweak of the knob settles it right down to steady green.
No smell from the heater.

After a few minutes at noon i am getting small clouds, the outside of the case is only just warm.
Will be back in a few with an update!
Lose solder joint of the thermocouple wires to the circuit board can cause the flashing red/green.

Great news on your repair. Im sure many users are anxious to find out more about it!

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
Working well so far!!!
Great flavor and clouds!

Only issue i am having is with the thermocouple used in the new heater.
I think it is not quite the same as the original thermocouple and it flashes red/green for a while before settling down. Any draw and it changes colour again.
I think i will use the original thermocouple and see how that works out!

More testing to be done!

EDIT:
LED's are stable now that i have used the original thermocouple!
Heat up time is about the same as the original.
Will be doing some real vapor testing soon, once it is reassembled!
And of course the video and pictures of the new internals!

EDIT #2:

Okay there is good news!!!!
It works!!!!

So the heater i decided to try is one of those hot runner coils as used in e-nails.
It is a custom designed size, wattage and shape and i think i can make it even better with a few tweaks to the design!

Pictures!
Testing with the original thermocouple
2014-08-03100411_zpsc34005f6.jpg

Heater being used
2014-08-03100424_zpsf131ff68.jpg

All assembled and the LED is RED!
2014-08-03110812_zps902cf1ca.jpg

After a few minutes...GREEN!!!
2014-08-03111221_zpsa6935a09.jpg

And then the required wait for the heat soak... gave it 20 minutes at NOON.
Nice flavourful hits, kind of whispy but very nice!
ABV was just golden brown.

Turn it up to around 1:30 and wait for GREEN.
Load up a small amount of GSC in and ELB and time for a video!!!

So for now it is a success!!
I will be using it as my daily driver for the next month and if it is stable it will be returned to it's FC member for further testing to see how it compares to the original heater and output!
For me i cannot tell the difference between it and the EVO, same glass path so it should really only be the power of the heater and it's ability to keep up with any draw speed.
I'm rambling now so it must work...
Peace!
:peace:

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
Pumping out massive GSC clouds at noon on the dial with the whip!
Very tasty!!
No stirring, just pulling until the vapor ends then checking the ABV and it is slightly lighter than the ABV from my Herbie at max temp.

Shell does get pretty warm at the top with the base just warm.

So far so good!!

lazylathe

Almost there...
@lazylathe I am in need of your services! Pm has been sent. Please and thank you

Just replied!
Sorry but i do not have the time i used to have to spend on the forum, new job is taking up all my time during the day...
I am still here and will reply to anyone that needs their vape repaired!
And remember you only pay for shipping and parts! No labor charges!

Top Bottom