Cloud or SSV??

Status
Not open for further replies.

willieR

Been here since 2009
I've always wanted a really quality desktop vape. Some things I'm looking for:

• I like to vape ground herb as well as oils.
  • I would like a bubbler attachment to cool things.
  • Could be a whip or not.
  • Needs to be great build quality and thoughtful material selection (no plastic in air path would be great).

Thanks for any thoughts.

willieR,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Thanks for any thoughts.
Both vapes will fit the bill according to your criteria IMO, although they're both designed principally with herbs in mind and need something used as a substrate for vaping oils (such as herb).

Arguably the Cloud has the better material selection with a pure glass air path, screen notwithstanding, though the SSV is still very 'thoughtful' with it's bespoke tubing and not really open to all that much just criticism IMO.

I'm expecting, just judging from reports mind, that the Cloud will have the superior performance for connoisseur vaping occasions (it's got sensors, you know :cool:), but the SSV will perhaps be more reliable over the long term as an all day every day workhorse with it's simplicity, longer warranty and cheap repairs policy. And its glass parts are user replaceable. Of course we don't yet know the longevity of a Cloud, or any typical repair costs. It's a more complex beast so I'd perhaps anticipate repairs costing more.

If you're likely to use it at drunken parties or with groups I would sway towards the SSV personally, as there is less to break- people hold a whip and/or glass pieces which they are more welcome to drop than both your expensive Cloud and hydratube. But I don't have my Cloud yet so it's still precious, lol, maybe I'll be more inclined to let the world at it after I've had it for a while.

Another key difference is that the SSV can be left always on and ready to go, whereas the Cloud shuts off. It's not a big issue according to some user reports I've read on here though. Maybe depends on how many times a day you want to hit your vape as to how inconvenient that is.

To be honest it's quite a struggle to choose between the both if I were only allowed to buy/keep one. I think I'd probably have to go with the tried and tested, safe and reliable SSV at this stage, though the Cloud might well offer the better experience.

So there are my thoughts on the matter.

willieR

Been here since 2009
What a fantastic and generous reply! Thank you for that. I'm not in a hurry and will wait a bit and see how the Cloud is received in the market. It seems more like what I'm looking for, if it works. The simple vs. complex is a big concern. I generally like simple. iolite vs MFLB is a good example. I like them both but the simplicity of the MFLB dominates imho.

Thanks again!

willieR,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
willie...if you can hold out, wait for the Cloud. I used the SSV for years as my daily driver and nothing could touch it...an excellent vape. However, once I got the Cloud I put the SSV away and it sat packed away for more than a year. The price, waiting time, and vaporization experience with these vapes are completely different. I thought I would never relinquish my SSV, but now that the Cloud is my daily driver I have already traded my SSV for something else.

You will be happy with either vape, and the only thing I think that can beat the SSV is the Cloud, and it does it easily.

max

Out to lunch
see how the Cloud is received in the market.
No mystery there. It's very well received and will continue to be so.

if it works.
It works great. The only question is long term reliability, as with any vape. It's not as easy to use as an SSV, as far as bowl loading and unloading, but my SSV is being permanently retired, despite that.

max,
Reactions: willieR

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I'm expecting, just judging from reports mind, that the Cloud will have the superior performance for connoisseur vaping occasions (it's got sensors, you know :cool:)
There are many vaqes that got sensors. Cloud also has PSD regulator so it adapts to drawing speed. I know only VXC and Bud Toaster use PSD. PSD regulators generally improve performance and response time and adaptivity (if programmed well, the one in Cloud should be superior). Also it has efficient airpath and that means A LOT imo.

Seek,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Both vapes will fit the bill according to your criteria IMO

+1

Another thing to consider is if you want the vaporizer now or are willing to wait for the cloud. If so you better jump on the list ASAP.

Tweak,

willieR

Been here since 2009
+1

Another thing to consider is if you want the vaporizer now or are willing to wait for the cloud. If so you better jump on the list ASAP.

I had better! I really appreciate everyone's thoughts.

willieR,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i never say never, but i can't imagine ever getting a vape that doesn't have computer temperature control.

Hippie Dickie,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
If I remember well, yours have even more, than PSD, its like PSDD, with derivation of derivation counted.

Seek,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
sort of ... i do a 5 second time average adjustment to account for the battery pack losing charge.

Hippie Dickie,

VolcAnTV

Does anyone on here have a Mini Vap? From Spainimported. I aam very curious about this one. Looks like two dealers are carrying it. Both of which carry S&B gear! I havent found much info on web. I wonder why theres not a forum.

VolcAnTV,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I don't think that very many folk on here have had that much money to throw at a vape, at least not when there are so many alternatives available at a fraction of the cost. I think we'd have loads more reports if it was a little more affordable. Although I notice the price has dropped ever so slightly. I'm curious too- you couldn't spend that much money on a vape and not have it work excellently.

WatTyler,
Reactions: VolcAnTV

weedemon

enthusiast
Ultimately I think the cloud will be the better machine, but can you wait as long as it's gonna take? and we dont even know how long that is still. could be a few months. could be longer. :( see my comic in the cloud thread for a laugh about it :p haha

weedemon,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Loved the comic! I'm going to hold off for a bit. Look for more field testimonials.

willieR,

max

Out to lunch
Does anyone on here have a Mini Vap? From Spainimported. I aam very curious about this one. Looks like two dealers are carrying it. Both of which carry S&B gear! I havent found much info on web. I wonder why theres not a forum.
I can tell you this much. It's not worth $758 (or $591 for the AC version) unless you've got money to burn. The theory that 'the higher the price the better the quality' only goes so far, and that's certainly true with vaporizers.

VolcAnTV

Thank you max, I agree. I probably should have thought about the price range before mentioning in this thread. I was surprised to see a new portable vape while looking for a locking vape case.

I like my analog Volcano, which has been in service for over a decade along with the many in vapor lounges around the world. I know they a bit overpriced. My bro got it in Oaksterdam's hey day with a patient's discount... and now ihave and so its been great. Also a passed relative owned my particular vape for some time (cousins father) before i got posession of it.;) So its been a wonderful value and convenient comodity. Im not saying its the right vape for everyone by any means.

Im determined to make a 12 volt power adapter for my TV or something similar to what Pipes in the TV thread mustered up. That would be cloud 9 my friend. :peace:

VolcAnTV,

max

Out to lunch
I was surprised to see a new portable vape while looking for a locking vape case.
The miniVAP isn't new. It's been available for 2-3 years now. It should be top quality, but I've yet to see a review from a buyer. It's clearly aimed at those who are willing to pay top dollar (the only dealer I've found that carries it seems to sell only Storz and Bickel products), and is supposed to be superior at temp stability. Since that's a strong feature of the Cloud, it almost makes the Cloud price seem like a bargain. I suspect the miniVAP will remain an obscure oddity as long as it's priced in the stratosphere.

max,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom