Choosing a desktop vape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I am in the market for a plugin vape or a butane powered vape for home use and that can be attached to a water pipe. I own a mighty and a firefly but I'm looking for a vape to switch out with the mighty so the mighty can just be for outside the house. So I need a vape that can
1. Take a lot of abuse as in I will use it several times a day everyday.
2. Isn't a session vape. I like to take hits here and there, I don't like being forced to vape a whole bowl.
3. Doesn't leak vapor while not being hit.
4. Can be attached to a water pipe.
5. Dense and flavorful hits.
6. Doesn't have a long heat up time.

Money is not an issue so any price range will be fine but I do want good value for my money. I was thinking the sublimator would be perfect but the 20 min heat up has me a little worried. Does the butane powered sub give the same experiance? Anyways any suggestions would be awesome, thanks.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
For water, I really enjoy my Nano - it's about the size of a redbull can, so it can easily fit on a large variety of waterpipes (I love my growing collection of glass)

I've dropped my nano plenty of times, not a damn problem with it, full convection heat, instant heat

There's only *ONE* catch to the Nano - preheating the vape. It takes a solid 15+ minutes before your vape is hitting like the videos. Most of us usually leave our Nano running 24/7 since it's so reliable (mine has been running for about 3 months right now without a single hour of downtime). Some people turn it on while they're home, and off when not.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Another vote for the nano! To your points above:

1. You could probably drive a truck over this thing. I wouldn't but mine takes a good bit of abuse and is still going strong after 2 years.
  2. nano really shines on small 2 - 3 hit loads. Flavor is exceptional. If taking break between them, can just set the stem or GonG aside and put it back on when ready to go again.
  3. Not a problem at all. Stem/GonG is often detached in regular usage. Just pull it off and no cooking going on.
  4. Very easy to attach. Just get the GonG attachment. GonG is about the size of typical sizing adapter. One end standard GonG onto glass, nano goes on other end.
  5. Adjustable heat lets you get hits as thick as you can, right up to combustion if you like (can also handle concentrates and hash). Flavor is incredible and stays that way for first few hits. If you do small loads, flavor is excellent on every hit.
  6. As @Ratchett said, can take 15 minutes from cold to full heat. But, does pretty well if you put it at full heat for 5 minutes then go down to preferred vape setting for 2. I also leave mine on all the time. It is suggested you drop the heat to a little below vaping temp when unattended (then kick up to temp for 2 minutes when ready), but seems most (definitely me) just leave it at vaping temp all the time. Mine is only off when in transit or if I won't be home for more than a day. If you plan to use it here and there through the day, it is a good vape to have. It sits there ready to go when you are and allows you to take a hit or 2, put it down, and pick it up later - always ready to go when you are.
Only real downside of this vape is you need to be near A/C power, but sounds like you already have your away from power situation well taken care of.

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
I had the same requirements. I also wanted cheap replaceable parts. There are people that want $70 for a bowl?! My bowl is $16 to my door and I can get it from suppliers around the world. As long as people need lab glass, I am good. I think the need for labs should outlast many warranties. Anyways, one way to get value is to completely bypass the overpriced vape market and buy standard heating parts and lab glass and make a vape. Well this is what I did when I did not like any of the vapes on the market. So +1 for DIY if your are a DIYer.

The reason the sublimator takes so long to heat up is because it runs on a dumb dimmer. I say dumb because a dimmer does not react to when you take a hit. Run that sub at 50% and you can see why it will take long to heat up, you are using half the watts. A pid controller is what the rest of the world uses to control temps. Smokers, kilns, sous-vide... all the same hardware and wiring. A pid runs at 100% power when it fires so they heat up much faster than a dumb dimmer. My $30 pid does the calculus 4 times a second to determine whether or not to fire. Not so dumb. So why are there dimmers on expensive vapes? Probably because voltage regulators are $5 and a temp probe, relay, and pid controller cost more. When I first made my vape I ran it on a dimmer and eventually switched to a pid. It was worth the added cost. It turned my vape from a mystery dial machine to a precision tool.

So if you want fast heat up times and a vape that reacts to you taking a hit, get something with a pid controller.

To most it seems that dimmers are good enough. I like knowing the temps so I can take a consistent hits.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
FWIW, nano GonGs are still $14 from the manufacturer. Can't do much better than that!

See what you are saying with a pid controller, but not sure how worthwhile it is. I know if I put my dial at 6.25 (whatever actual temp that is) that it will be the same every time. Same with any other setting,

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
Yeah, pids are expensive and add fine tuning that you may not need. Just pointing out why dimmers can be slow and what fixes the problem.

That is cheap! 24/40 lab glass is prob a little heftier.

jojo monkey,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Here's my suggestion, get a Firewood and the PA, get some stems from Underdog. Now you've got 30 second portable plug-in that hits like a log and can go even hotter.

Hits just like a log and you'll get quicker control with temperature adjustments.

Scott A

Here's my suggestion, get a Firewood and the PA, get some stems from Underdog. Now you've got 30 second portable plug-in that hits like a log and can go even hotter.

Hits just like a log and you'll get quicker control with temperature adjustments.
Same efficiency as a log too?

Scott A,

JimmyCricket

Do not have a nano so i wouldn't know, but the flavor and density are definitely good, better than the solo. I haven't used some of the higher priced options like you have, but from the lotus thread people say it is comparable quality to a desktop (especially when through water).

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
How do you guys feel the lotus wpa compares to a nano? Is the flavor on the lotus as good as the nano? And do they both have dense clouds?

Had the Lotus as my second vape - it's a fucking beast. With proper torch control, you can finish a load in under 30 seconds. The only down side is you need practice to perfect the technique to get the vape working.

I used my Lotus daily, milking glass constantly. It can certainly keep up with demand. I do suggest buying a few dozen screens as you will clog them up fast (keep a jar of ISO and drop them in to soak overnight, evaporate the ISO every month for some awesome reclaim!)

I upgraded to my Nano simply because I wanted more heat on tap without risking combustion (sometimes it's hard to get full extraction without risking combustion with the lotus!). Also, I wanted more control over temperature so I could experiment with cannabis and how it affects my body. I discovered after several months with my Nano that 7.5 was too high, I almost felt sick after medicating, now I've settled down around 6.5 on the temp scale (which is around 385-390F IIRC)

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
So I was just on epic vape's website and looking at a nano and it says 2 minute heat up. Did they change something or is it 2 minutes for a really low temp?

Yeah, I always laughed at that heatup time, I don't know how exactly he came up with that figure. I think technically you can start vaping if you set it to 10 for 2 minutes, but vapor production won't be fantastic unless you let the vape pre-heat for much longer than that.

If you do end up purchasing a Nano, use coupon code FCLOVE for a discount plus a lifetime warranty on the vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom