Cheap, high - quality nails

blankrider

Castle is an OK design if made right. I have one of the better made ones. I got it on eBay for 25 when they first appeared, before I even heard people calling it a castle style.

The first reason I don't like it as much is the lack of joint. It is just the straw style which fits inside like old school grommet slides. They have ones out with joints now or you might like straw style so this doesn't really matter.

More importantly for me is that it was awkward to heat correctly and seemed to cool down to fast leaving a blackened reclaim spot. You want to heat up the middle bowl area where you dab. This means you have to either heat it from the side until it transfers to the middle, or you can try pointing your torch straight down at it which I don't really care for.

The benefit of the Banger is a large dabbing area that is easy to torch. Even if you are not taking big dabs it is nice to have more area to let your dab run around. I think I can take better tasting bigger dabs at a lower temperature.

With the castle it just goes to the bottom of the bowl and cools off right away. With the Banger I can kind of swirl my dab around and find areas that are still hot enough to get a nice slow flavorful low temp dab

Edit : by bigger dabs I mean getting more out of the same amount of oil

Last edited:

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
Castle is an OK design if made right. I have one of the better made ones. I got it on eBay for 25 when they first appeared, before I even heard people calling it a castle style.

The first reason I don't like it as much is the lack of joint. It is just the straw style which fits inside like old school grommet slides. They have ones out with joints now or you might like straw style so this doesn't really matter.

More importantly for me is that it was awkward to heat correctly and seemed to cool down to fast leaving a blackened reclaim spot. You want to heat up the middle bowl area where you dab. This means you have to either heat it from the side until it transfers to the middle, or you can try pointing your torch straight down at it which I don't really care for.

The benefit of the Banger is a large dabbing area that is easy to torch. Even if you are not taking big dabs it is nice to have more area to let your dab run around. I think I can take better tasting bigger dabs at a lower temperature.

With the castle it just goes to the bottom of the bowl and cools of right away. With the Banger I can kind of swirl my dab around and find areas that are still hot enough to get a nice slow flavorful low temp dab

Edit : by bigger dabs I mean getting more out of the same amount of oil

Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to write that. I just ordered a DI castle nail - but now I want a banger!

HugieLewis

I'm not an expert but I have a strong opinion
I also have a strong quartz preference. Ti just isn't my thing but all my friends who dab are using it. I see a banger in my future though. It looks like EXACTLY what I am looking for. How is the durability so far? Any qualms from anyone?

blankrider

I am at work now but will post some pictures when I get home. I have both a male and female Banger and a slew of other stuff that will probably never get used again now that I found Banger for a reasonable price. I thought they were cool before but never would have spent 100+ on a quave one.

I am waiting for knock off honey buckets to become available for a reasonable price. If anyone knows anything please speak up

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
I am at work now but will post some pictures when I get home. I have both a male and female Banger and a slew of other stuff that will probably never get used again now that I found Banger for a reasonable price. I thought they were cool before but never would have spent 100+ on a quave one.

I am waiting for knock off honey buckets to become available for a reasonable price. If anyone knows anything please speak up

I've haven't seen a clone of that one....yet :lol: Have you tried one?

blankrider

@pigfoot I have a friend who owned a mothership torus and bucket which I got to use on multiple occasions and it was nice but not for the price.

I feel like the bucket and Banger function fairly similar but the bucket gives you almost the feeling of a dome yet you don't have to constantly remove it and put it back on getting your joint all messy like you would with a dome.

I honestly can't say beyond that what makes them so special and why people are willing to spend more than your whole collection on one

Edit : no disrespect to anyone's collection, just saying that buckets are crazy taxed. And don't get me started on the worked ones.

blankrider,
Reactions: pigfoot

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
@pigfoot I have a friend who owned a mothership torus and bucket which I got to use on multiple occasions and it was nice but not for the price.

I feel like the bucket and Banger function fairly similar but the bucket gives you almost the feeling of a dome yet you don't have to constantly remove it and put it back on getting your joint all messy like you would with a dome.

I honestly can't say beyond that what makes them so special and why people are willing to spend more than your whole collection on one

Edit : no disrespect to anyone's collection, just saying that buckets are crazy taxed. And don't get me started on the worked ones.

Heck, I'm not offended - I'm proud my collection costs less than a fancy bucket :rofl:

We're seeing worked and heady pieces coming out of China now. I want a DI joint, minimal diffusion in a small (not micro) dab rig - haven't seen one yet. But, my Kathy recycler should be here this week!!

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/new-small-bong-mini-water-pipe-pocket-glass/190892756.html

Less than $22 delivered? Crazy!
new-small-bong-mini-water-pipe-pocket-glass.jpg

blankrider

@pigfoot I have the same recycler in your picture. I got it off ioffer for $50 and it is just OK. I recently got this one from Kathy and would recommend it
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product...ipe-pocket-glass/190893367.html#sshot_-4-null

Neither of them really vortex but I feel this one is much more solid, functions better, and the wide base makes it less likely to tip over

I also like the mouthpiece a lot more. Really just a much better recycler in my opinion

blankrider

@HugieLewis and anyone else who cares. About durability...

I have only had a few problems ever with the durability of quartz. Most of the time it is because I dropped something like an idiot.

I got this design off eBay and it was great. My favorite thing until bangers were available
http://m.ebay.com/itm/281337464818?nav=SEARCH
But... When I tried to order another I was sent a glass version. I could tell right away the difference between it and quartz but apparently the seller cannot. I tried to use it and it broke after maybe 20 dabs. I asked him for a new one and to make sure it was quartz. He sent another claiming that he paid extra money for quartz from his supplier. When it arrived it was glass so I quit dealing with him. I guess that I got lucky with my first order

HugieLewis

(Knocks on wood) I am generally pretty good about handling fragile items so I wasn't too worried personally. Just thought I would start that conversation!

Thanks for the info!

blankrider

I got these on eBay. They were listed as 14 but when I received them they were 18. I contacted the seller not even mad and they refunded my money and changed their listing in minutes.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111325309190?nav=SEARCH

So far these are the only Flux style nails I have seen in quartz. I really liked how they function when I was still using a dome but I go domeless most of the time now.

I did have one of these break from normal usage. Where the cup connects to the straw. It is really a wonderful design but the build quality left something to be desired. They are a little wonky but definitely a good deal

I have either owned or tried almost everything so anyone with a nail question please ask

Last edited:
blankrider,
Reactions: Detonator

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
@pigfoot I have the same recycler in your picture. I got it off ioffer for $50 and it is just OK. I recently got this one from Kathy and would recommend it
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product...ipe-pocket-glass/190893367.html#sshot_-4-null

Neither of them really vortex but I feel this one is much more solid, functions better, and the wide base makes it less likely to tip over

I also like the mouthpiece a lot more. Really just a much better recycler in my opinion

I was looking at them both, guess I shoulda got that one. Have you tried the hitman double barrel clone?
It gets great reviews, but I think it might be a little too big for a dab rig.

@HugieLewis and anyone else who cares. About durability...

I have only had a few problems ever with the durability of quartz. Most of the time it is because I dropped something like an idiot.

I got this design off eBay and it was great. My favorite thing until bangers were available
http://m.ebay.com/itm/281337464818?nav=SEARCH
But... When I tried to order another I was sent a glass version. I could tell right away the difference between it and quartz but apparently the seller cannot. I tried to use it and it broke after maybe 20 dabs. I asked him for a new one and to make sure it was quartz. He sent another claiming that he paid extra money for quartz from his supplier. When it arrived it was glass so I quit dealing with him. I guess that I got lucky with my first order

How can you tell glass from quartz? My D020's glass nail cracked quickly too.

blankrider

I have not tried the double barrel yet. I am much more interested in the barrel to funnel. I like how the tubes that go up are longer and I bet the funnel recycles better. When I watch the double barrel in action it seems like water falls back down the side tubes just as much as it recycles through the correct tube.

I have been waiting for it to show up in sunshine store or Kathy. I believe someone asked her to carry it and she just got the double barrel.

About telling glass from quartz...
If it has a joint you can tell by the roughness. A male joint will probably not have a nice clean lip like glass would and it is more opaque.

A female quartz joint has a rough almost dusty quality to it.

It is kind of hard to tell if you just have a normal style nail but the best way to tell is look at the groove where air passes by the joint. Some quartz nails have the groves cut unlike glass nails where they attach little glass beads to make it rest on the joint.

I hope you understand what I'm saying and that this helps

blankrider

here are some flux style quartz nails that I have been eyeballing... no idea on shipping cost though.
http://www.marijuanapackaging.com/quartz-nail-19mm.html
http://www.marijuanapackaging.com/quartz-nail-14mm.html

actually all their nails are pretty fair.
http://www.marijuanapackaging.com/smoke-shop-supply/concentrate-tools.html

These are the same as what I posted but with better pictures. If you get them on eBay you can get 3 for $11 instead of paying $10 each. And the seller was very nice

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111325309190?nav=SEARCH

blankrider,
Reactions: 215z

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
I find the banger style to be extremely easy to heat. From the bottom. Carb cap works well but balances precariously. It is also very easy to reheat with an unfinished dab in there.
Edit: less than $25 on ioffer

blankrider

I find the banger style to be extremely easy to heat. From the bottom. Carb cap works well but balances precariously. It is also very easy to reheat with an unfinished dab in there.
Edit: less than $25 on ioffer

What are you using for carb cap?

blankrider,

blankrider

Does anyone on here have anything to say about the durability of glass carb caps?

I know glass is not as good at withstanding heat but I am not sure if a carb cap gets so hot that it would crack or break.

There were some pretty cool worked ones up on boromarket very recently. Might still be available. I didn't want to get it and have it break on me so if anyone out there can help I would appreciate it

blankrider,

HugieLewis

If anyone is interested in cheap boro carb caps I saw some on nuggetry for $11. Guy's ig is diggaglass I believe. Dont know a thing about these. Just throwing it out there.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Damnit.

Dropped a hot nail on the new carpet last night... started melting the carpet, then I broke the quartz nail while trying to rip it off the melted fiber. It all happened in seconds.

Looks like I am going to be trying a banger much earlier than I expected.

Top Bottom