CCA Liger banger V3.0

ItWasaGoodDre

I know this has been address previously in this thread, but I can't seem to find it. My SiC insert is stuck. My rig spilled and a bit of water got into the liger and it has been stuck ever since. I have used ISO and acetone soaks to no avail. I'm maintaining my Liger as usual in the mean time. Any ideas???

I have been trying my hardest to keep sludge and carbon from building up around the outside edges of the insert, but without being able to take out the insert, it's a losing battle.

Thanks for all of your help!

Thanks to all the ravings here about the Chad Bro carb caps, I ordered a prototype Terp Trunk today with a directional dot straight from the guy who blows em. I checked out his instagram and happened to catch a live auction he was doing. Got it for a steal :)

He didnt know about FC forums, so I fixed that. He says he'll make an account tomorrow.

Pretty excited to put it on the 30mm and see what the hype is about!

As the one who first suggested Terp Trunks for Liger use here, I am beyond stoked to see everyone is getting as much satisfaction from them as I am! When I saw how cheap it was, I balked at first because I couldn't believe something so much cheaper than the competition could compete on functionality. I'm happy to say I was dead wrong. The terp trunks straight up crush dabs. Also, I have dropped mine on the tile floor several times with not a single scratch.

Hover who?!

Check out his bubble caps too. Even cheaper at $30. After using it for a couple weeks now, I can say that it is even superior to the Terp Trunk. If you haven't used a bubble cap, whether it's by Chad or Puking Beagle, I HIGHLY recommend one. You absolutely will not be disappointed. It's like a little dab blaster or something. It's really fun to be able to easily aim the cap at pooling and see the pool disappear while your rig billows with clouds.

Last edited:
ItWasaGoodDre,
Reactions: Gn0sis

Seanstuffy

I was very curious as well as to why no one mentioned bubble caps? I figured maybe someone tried it awhile ago an it didnt work or something cuz bubble caps are perfect for flat bangers.

hardboiledfrog

tinkerer
Yes I use a K thermocouple to measure dish temp.
I let my Liger sit for 10 minutes before using.

I have a Gimido Enail.
Temp set at 600' F
Dish temp at 10 minutes = 480' F

I don't use quartz at all actually. Even the quartz halo, which is the best quartz I've ever used (and yes, I've spent ~$1000 on various pukinbeagle nails which weren't as good!) is lackluster compared to SiC and sapphire. Quartz is simply old news IMO and IME. Inferior to SiC and Sapphire for our purposes.

What I mentioned in the post you quoted is only a property I've experienced with sapphire, I find that SiC does not experience this problem unless you turn the temp down much, much lower.

I have used a thermocouple to measure dish temps in the past, but I have not in quite some time and in fact the one I used went missing a few months back (no doubt my own carelessness lol). I never bother measuring my warm-up time. My e-nails are left on 24/7 all year around except when cleaning so this is not relevant for me.

I have a calibrated thermal imager I use for work. I used it to map out the dish on the quartz banger that I use earlier this evening. I will post a sample image tomorrow as this PC has no SD card reader :doh:.

I use a Bee Nail PID with 20mm coil (rep Colorado). After running for five minutes at the 600 dags setting the dish was fairly evenly 475 dags, with one fairly small hot spot right at the 500 mark. This is a cheap quartz banger from a local shop however. As soon as I get my Liger I will repeat the process in much greater detail with several images.

I am loving this forum, my kinda peeps here. Cheers everyone! :science:

thanks guys! this is very useful info. I don't like leaving an e-nail running 24/7 so that was one of my design goals for my controller and I'm trying to minimize my run times. currently my session times are about 10 minutes, 8 minutes for the temp to stabilize, 2 for the dab. this is with SiC on a 20mm liger.

I get 483F on the dish at 550F on the controller. the vapor is nice and thick but can be harsh on the throat and usually leads to a cough. I dab rosin, at 550F the remains have a duller sheen to them than the lower temp dabs and look more thoroughly vaporized.
RGkDrbu.png

at 510F on the controller I get 450F on the dish.
SQDmJzR.png

the lower temp is much smoother on the throat but extends the vaporization time.
can't say much about flavor ATM as my source material has been rather tasteless.

carini

I am pretty disappointed. After waiting well over a month i am sent a 30mm bucket with a giant scratch on the side and a defective quartz dish. To my knowledge the dish shouldn't crack in half within a day of use. The crack is getting worse every time i turn the enail on. I am hoping josh will respond but with his track record i'm guessing ill get a response maybe in a month. I want to support this business but these issues are making it really hard to

I have the 16mm with quartz and sic dishes and have loved it. I wanted something bigger to enjoy as well. I was hoping this would be it. I really don't want to buy a new dish as they expensive.

carini,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Hey @carini
Sorry to hear about your liger issues.

I'm sure if you contact @mrbonsai420 he will do his best to help you out. Did you by chance thermally shock your quartz insert by putting moisture on it while hot? (Just curious what happened.)

These guys are doing their best to get everyone taken care of, just haven't been flexible enough to meet the need.

Happens, but definitely sucks.

Don't worry though, I'm sure you will be happy, just wait.

Brown

I am pretty disappointed. After waiting well over a month i am sent a 30mm bucket with a giant scratch on the side and a defective quartz dish. To my knowledge the dish shouldn't crack in half within a day of use. The crack is getting worse every time i turn the enail on. I am hoping josh will respond but with his track record i'm guessing ill get a response maybe in a month. I want to support this business but these issues are making it really hard to

I have the 16mm with quartz and sic dishes and have loved it. I wanted something bigger to enjoy as well. I was hoping this would be it. I really don't want to buy a new dish as they expensive.

Wow, I really hope that doesn't happen to me. I'm well over a month here as well with no end in sight and I was worried about something like this happening. It really seems like they're in over their head, and they aren't able to take care of their customers at the level they need to, really beginning to look like there's a refund in my future. :(

Brown,

n473isme

To be fair, he did say he was hoping Josh would respond and I assume that means he sent an email. I definitely second contacting @mrbonsai420, I had a similar issue and he has responded quite quickly to PM's.

n473isme,

carini

Yes i did email, but with how it went down before, i don't expect a response. How the quartz could do that is beyond me. Unless its actually glass. It should never crack like that. I will contact mr. bonsai right now.

carini,

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Yes i did email, but with how it went down before, i don't expect a response. How the quartz could do that is beyond me. Unless its actually glass. It should never crack like that. I will contact mr. bonsai right now.

Dang
I did have 1 do that on an early test batch also. Josh will get you a replacement out asap, PM me and we will get those squared away.

mrbonsai420,
After reviewing the data on my PC, I see there is a much larger range of temps in the bucket than I originally thought. Again, my PID was set at 600 F for 5 minutes and you can see from the thermal image that much of the bottom of the bucket is between 400 - 450, with one relatively small hot spot at 500. The light green 300 dag ring around the outside is the tall rim of the quartz bucket. This image is a top down close up shot looking into the bottom of the bucket.

LIkDbYL.jpg

Again, this is just a cheap quartz banger. When I get my Liger I will repeat this in much greater detail with a range of temps / run times. Let me know if there is something you want me to check out, and I will see if it is possible.

Cheers!

***Jim OG Live Resin going into the bucket***

Thank you Bat Norman, link much appreciated.

Last edited:

hardboiledfrog

tinkerer
After reviewing the data on my PC, I see there is a much larger range of temps in the bucket than I originally thought. Again, my PID was set at 600 F for 5 minutes and you can see from the thermal image that much of the bottom of the bucket is between 400 - 450, with one relatively small hot spot at 500. The light green 300 dag ring around the outside is the tall rim of the quartz bucket. This image is a top down close up shot looking into the bottom of the bucket.

LIkDbYL.jpg

Again, this is just a cheap quartz banger. When I get my Liger I will repeat this in much greater detail with a range of temps / run times. Let me know if there is something you want me to check out, and I will see if it is possible.

Cheers!

***Jim OG Live Resin going into the bucket***

Thank you Bat Norman, link much appreciated.

WANT!!! :D
that imager is awesome! the thermal conductivity of the quartz, not so much. :science:
thanks for posting, looking forward to seeing the liger image.

Marihuana

Iso Tensei
After reviewing the data on my PC, I see there is a much larger range of temps in the bucket than I originally thought. Again, my PID was set at 600 F for 5 minutes and you can see from the thermal image that much of the bottom of the bucket is between 400 - 450, with one relatively small hot spot at 500.

I have a feeling that the variance in temperature might be the result of the coil. Have you ever tried mapping it out alone?

ReggieHaze

are these nice caps that much more functional than a typical local made glass directional carb cap that they would be worth the $50 or more even if I already have one?

ReggieHaze,

ItWasaGoodDre

Running into an interesting issue of sort with my bubble cap. My SiC insert has gotten stuck in my Liger. At first, I thought it was because I got some water in my liger while hot. But that would not explain how stuck this insert is. Despite repeated soaking in both 99% ISO and acetone, coupled with the standard ISO + boiling distilled h20, the insert is still stuck.

I've noticed since I got the bubble cap that I now have to Qtip the top edges of my insert after a dab. Significant amounts of build up after each dab. It is as if the force of the restriction is blowing my extract up over the lid of my insert. Could it be that the bubble cap is "too good" cause residual extract to be blown up and over the insert, causing carbon to build up thus fusing the insert and the Liger? Is this even plausible?

The most effective technique seems to be the standard ISO boil procedure but just over filling it, so the liquid gets between the liger and the insert. After every round, more and more carbon comes up, but I have yet to get it loose. In the meantime, at least it's fully functional.

ItWasaGoodDre,

Marihuana

Iso Tensei
As @n473isme said, I'd highly suggest knocking on it a bit. Any time I've ever had problems with titanium related crust-lock, force has been the solution. I'd also feel a lot more confident tapping on SiC than quartz or sapphire.
What about ultrasonic cleaning? Never done it before but it could be a possible solution.

Marihuana,
Reactions: n473isme

damm

Running into an interesting issue of sort with my bubble cap. My SiC insert has gotten stuck in my Liger. At first, I thought it was because I got some water in my liger while hot. But that would not explain how stuck this insert is. Despite repeated soaking in both 99% ISO and acetone, coupled with the standard ISO + boiling distilled h20, the insert is still stuck.

I've noticed since I got the bubble cap that I now have to Qtip the top edges of my insert after a dab. Significant amounts of build up after each dab. It is as if the force of the restriction is blowing my extract up over the lid of my insert. Could it be that the bubble cap is "too good" cause residual extract to be blown up and over the insert, causing carbon to build up thus fusing the insert and the Liger? Is this even plausible?

The most effective technique seems to be the standard ISO boil procedure but just over filling it, so the liquid gets between the liger and the insert. After every round, more and more carbon comes up, but I have yet to get it loose. In the meantime, at least it's fully functional.

My experience with Quartz is overfilling it causes the insert to get wedged. Small particles that are burned I sometimes miss and by filling it up I found myself (did it by accident once) that the particles would then get burned to the top of the insert and eventually work their way to the back and then connect to the bucket ... I really couldn't get the insert removed when I had that problem so I just heated it up to around 215 and I was able to pull it out. _NOT_ easy

Marihuana

Iso Tensei
...the particles would then get burned to the top of the insert and eventually work their way to the back and then connect to the bucket ...

Do you know how long you were using it before there was enough residue to stick it? It seems like you have to disassemble your setup regularly in order to keep it in good shape.

Marihuana,

damm

Do you know how long you were using it before there was enough residue to stick it? It seems like you have to disassemble your setup regularly in order to keep it in good shape.

Yeah that's likely my problem. I disassemble it every 4-5 days to clean up. Otherwise I Q-Tip clean and the directions on the site to use the iso + water combo to clean up the crusty build up.

If it's not broken; don't fix it. Words I try to live by; so until it starts to get cloggy ... then I clean it up; I admit I don't clean the actual bucket much.

Occasionally it gets nasty but overall most of the mess is on the Quartz insert

damm,
Top Bottom