Cannabis News

BD9

New laws may close 150 dispensaries in Detroit. Seems they were not as heavy handed as they were in Toronto. It's estimated they're 200 shops within Detroit.
I remember reading an article a while back about cops in Grosse Pointe, MI. targeting/harassing people coming from Detroit that had legally shopped at dispensaries.

Read more here.

Teams of city inspectors and police officers have begun visiting stores to enforce Detroit's new medical marijuana ordinances, which took effect March 1.

"There is room in this town for probably 50 or 60 medical marijuana dispensaries spaced legitimately, and they have to be in industrial or high commercial areas," Duggan said in an interview. "They can't be in residential areas."

The new laws require store operators to obtain a business license designed for the medical marijuana stores. Shops are prohibited from operating within 1,000 feet of a church, school, park, liquor store other marijuana shops and other places considered a drug-free zone under city law, such as libraries and child-care centers. Store operators will be able to apply to the Board of Zoning Appeals for a variance to operate within those boundaries.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
The new laws require store operators to obtain a business license designed for the medical marijuana stores. Shops are prohibited from operating within 1,000 feet of a church, school, park, liquor store other marijuana shops and other places considered a drug-free zone under city law, such as libraries and child-care centers. Store operators will be able to apply to the Board of Zoning Appeals for a variance to operate within those boundaries.

Wait...what!?!? Steering clear of a church or school kinda makes sense but limiting the distance from a liquor store or other dispensary makes no sense to me. Haven't they heard of competition? I guess when I think about it 1000 feet isn't really that bad.

Gunky

If I were a Mayor of a failing city (Pick any one) I would not hesitate to have a "Blue Light" district where Dispensaries, Gastro Pubs and Motels would flourish. Give folks a reason to come to your city. Get Tax dollars for schools, roads, trash pickup.
Absolutely. Cannabis and things like live performance venues, jazz cellars, rock clubs and so on could become the basis of a renaissance for many of our seedier looking cities. Imagine knocking down abandoned housing and creating huge parks like the Tivoli in Copenhagen with venues, performances, art, drama, food, drink, weed...

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Fact: Cannabis Kills MRSA, Disrupts Prion Diseases

Marijuana is a potent antibiotic that can kill methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and disrupt the progression of prion diseases such as Mad Cow disease and Creutzfeld-Jakob disease — just don't expect the federal government to tell you any of this.

The factoids come from TheAnswerPage.com - a medical information resource for doctors sponsored by The Massachusetts Medical Society, publisher of the New England Journal of Medicine.

(gross picture)

Scientists from Italy and the United Kingdom reported in the August 2007 issue of the Journal of Natural Products that the main active ingredient in weed, THC, as well as four other pot molecules “showed potent antibacterial activity against six different strains of MRSA of clinical relevance."

Pot also stops prions, a type of protein that can cause neurodegenerative diseases that are invariably fatal. Once prions get into a brain they replicate rapidly and shred brain tissue “resulting in a ‘spongiform’ appearance on post-mortem histological examination of neural tissue."

In 2007, American and French researchers reported that pot molecule cannabidiol “prevents prion accumulation and protects neurons against prion toxicity” in the Journal of Neuroscience.

Cannabidiol inhibited prion accumulation in mouse and sheep prion disease cell cultures and inhibited prion formation in the brain of infected mice given injections of CBD. “The authors conclude that CBD likely represents a new class of anti-prion drugs.”

“These findings are encouraging, as prions are very difficult to kill. According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, presently there is no FDA-approved treatment that can cure or even control [prion] disease.”

MRSA kills about 18,000 Americans each year and sickens about 94,000.

The federal government, as directed by Congress, still maintains that cannabis is a dangerous “schedule 1” drug with no medical use and high potential for abuse. All weed research must be federally approved, and the US government has resisted approving any studies that seek to show beneficial medical properties in the plant.

http://m.eastbayexpress.com/Legaliz...t-cannabis-kills-mrsa-disrupts-prion-diseases

grokit

well-worn member
California state police and prison guard allies lobby against legalized marijuana... because arrests are so profitable

As California prepares to vote on marijuana legalization in November, police and prison guard groups are uniting in an attempt to defeat the initiative so that they won't lose the enormous amount of income generated from cannabis prohibition.

These groups account for around half of the money being raised to fight the passing of the measure – an indication of just how seriously legalization threatens those who profit from arresting and incarcerating marijuana offenders.

Prohibition profits

The war on drugs has proven to be a complete failure on the societal level, but continues to be extremely profitable for law enforcement agencies and the prison system.

From The Intercept:

"Drug war money has become a notable source of funding for law enforcement interests. Huge government grants and asset-seizure windfalls benefit police departments, while the constant supply of prisoners keeps the prison business booming. ...

"Police receive federal grants from the Justice Department to help fund drug enforcement efforts, including specific funding to focus on marijuana.

"Asset forfeiture is another way law enforcement agencies have come to rely on marijuana as a funding source. Police departments, through a process known as asset forfeiture, seize cash and property associated with drug busts, including raids relating to marijuana. The proceeds from the seizures are often distributed to law enforcement agencies. From 2002 to 2012, California agencies reaped $181.4 million from marijuana-related asset seizures."

Lobbying for profiteers...

Adobewan

Yes I did. The article gives a selection of the facts, but not enough to know if the punishment is fair. You are very young aren't you? The young are such absolutists, so self-righteous in their beliefs and cruel in their justice. For example, they said they tested the cake wrapper and found THC. But did they test her blood? What if the wrapper was re-used from a different cake and she was sleepy because she took benadryl? We have no way of knowing. What I do know is that punishment sounds awfully cruel to the daughter and wife, if there is a wife.
You suggested I might be young in a response to one of my posts.
You'd be surprised.
And some old folk are so set in their ways they can't absorb new or opposing information.
So we all suck!

BD9

@momofthegoons posted a great picture of the signatures collected in the picture thread. Unfortunately, there will be a long way to go at the expense of tax payers.

Petitions to legalize marijuana to face likely fight

Here's the article

The key issue? Although a state formula required the group to gather 252,523 signatures to qualify for ballots and the petitioners turned in far more, a majority of signatures likely will be deemed invalid. That's because state law says that any signature gathered more than 180 days before being filed with the state is presumed to be “stale and void,” unless the petitioner can prove otherwise. Leaders of the drive said they’ve offered ample proof and they’re prepared to make it stick — in court, if necessary.

They need to read the article @grokit posted above about alcohol being the 'gateway' drug.

In southeast Oakland County, leaders of the youth-oriented Tri-Community Coalition see a need to counteract the petition campaign with education forums about the risks of marijuana to teenagers, said Executive Director Judy Rubin. The group that serves Berkley, Huntington Woods and Oak Park is “planning a town meeting and an advisory council workshop — we are totally against it,” Rubin said Thursday.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I would guess it depends on the type and amount of alcohol. When I was a child my mother would give me scotch soaked towelets to rub on my gums when I was teething or had a toothache. Give a 4 year old 2 or 3 shots and it would hopefully be jail time.

"It's hard to make judgements without knowing all the facts"
No, actually it's not. Be responsible!

YES. If not, then they should. 'Slipping' something to someone, especially a child, is unacceptable whether it's cannabis, alcohol or whatever.

Without all the facts, how can you know if he was responsible or not?

I agree it's unacceptable to slip a child some drug or alcohol. 2 years in prison and 5 years barred from seeing your child is pretty significant punishment. The drug wore off in 24 hours and apparently the girl was unharmed. Preventing her from seeing her parent for 5 years will continue to damage her for a long time. Who is going to pay for her stuff while dad is in prison? This doesn't just punish the dad. Who knows possibly he is a total piece of work and should be tossed in the chokey and throw away the key; without knowing all the details it is easy to self-righteously condemn the fellow.
I think my recent post in the parents that vape thread addresses these comments so I will repost it here.
Parents That Vape

I think it's crazy that anyone would think a 2 year prison term or a 5 year separation from your kid is justifiable. The guy gave his kid pot. We don't know the circumstances but what could his worst of intentions have been. Lets say the guy had the worst intentions. What would those have been? How do you hurt someone with a little bit of pot? Oh right, he was probably trying to get his daughter so high she couldn't handle it and would jump out a fucking window right? A little pot does not hurt a kid so please explain to me why those of you that feel a 2 year prison sentence or 5 year parentless kid is acceptable forms of punishment.

A slap on the wrist fine and some survelliance over the girls behavior or even drug tests for the daughter for a certain timeframe to ensure this is not a repeat offense is understandable. But ruining lives and families is not acceptable justice and shame on those of you that said it was...I know who you are:cool:

BD9

Yes I did. The article gives a selection of the facts, but not enough to know if the punishment is fair. But did they test her blood?

What would those have been? How do you hurt someone with a little bit of pot? Oh right, he was probably trying to get his daughter so high she couldn't handle it and would jump out a fucking window right? A little pot does not hurt a kid so please explain to me why those of you that feel a 2 year prison sentence or 5 year parentless kid is acceptable forms of punishment.

But ruining lives and families is not acceptable justice and shame on those of you that said it was...I know who you are:cool:

I quoted Gunky's post again because I asked him if he read the article. He answered "Yes". If he had read the article he would have known that they did test the child and she tested positive for THC.

A quote from the article, "The girl’s system tested positive for THC — the active ingredient in marijuana. Day care staff said the girl had been visited that morning by her father, Batten, who gave her snacks."

I'm going to ask you now, did you read the article?

This is a child. A 4 year old child that was given a psychoactive drug without her knowledge. I've known adults that have ingested too much pot through edibles and have become incapacitated. Jump out a window? What about possibly stumbling and falling out a window? The article stated she became disoriented, so falling out a window was a possibility. The person that gave her the cake denied it and lied saying he purchased the cake at a deli. That leads me to believe that he intended to do harm to the child in some way.
As I said before, giving drugs to anyone without their knowledge is unacceptable. Especially when it's a child.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I'm a bit torn on this one and I kind of agree that maybe we don't have all the info.

For example....I don't know what the father's background is. Maybe they threw the book at him because he is a felon with multiple previous arrests/convictions. Did he abuse the child in the past? Was he on parole at the time? Did he live in a legal state? Did he medicate his daughter by mistake or on purpose?

Even if it was a mistake some form of punishment is in order.... but if this was a mistake and a first time offense, 2 years in prison and 5 years without being able to be with your kid seems a bit harsh.

I think there had to be more to this to get hit that hard.

Gunky

I quoted Gunky's post again because I asked him if he read the article. He answered "Yes". If he had read the article he would have known that they did test the child and she tested positive for THC.

A quote from the article, "The girl’s system tested positive for THC — the active ingredient in marijuana. Day care staff said the girl had been visited that morning by her father, Batten, who gave her snacks."

This is a child. A 4 year old child that was given a psychoactive drug without her knowledge. I've known adults that have ingested too much pot through edibles and have become incapacitated. Jump out a window? What about possibly stumbling and falling out a window? The article stated she became disoriented, so falling out a window was a possibility. The person that gave her the cake denied it and lied saying he purchased the cake at a deli. That leads me to believe that he intended to do harm to the child in some way.
As I said before, giving drugs to anyone without their knowledge is unacceptable. Especially when it's a child.
You still don't know what happened, whether there was a mistake or what. He took a plea bargain because they had charges which would have put him away for a long time. Possibly all he did was see a piece of cake in the fridge and put it in the girls lunch. Conceivably he is taking the fall for someone else. You can't know from that article. "That leads me to believe...". Yes exactly, you are projecting beliefs onto the situation and making all sorts of assumptions.

Yes I read the article. Apparently I missed the bit about testing the kid for THC. At least I am not missing my compassion.

BD9

I'm a bit torn on this one and I kind of agree that maybe we don't have all the info.

For example....I don't know what the father's background is. Maybe they threw the book at him because he is a felon with multiple previous arrests/convictions. Did he abuse the child in the past? Was he on parole at the time? Did he live in a legal state? Did he medicate his daughter by mistake or on purpose?

Even if it was a mistake some form of punishment is in order.... but if this was a mistake and a first time offense, 2 years in prison and 5 years without being able to be with your kid seems a bit harsh.

I think there had to be more to this to get hit that hard.

I agree with 100% with everything you said.

You still don't know what happened, whether there was a mistake or what. He took a plea bargain because they had charges which would have put him away for a long time. Possibly all he did was see a piece of cake in the fridge and put it in the girls lunch. Conceivably he is taking the fall for someone else. You can't know from that article. "That leads me to believe...". Yes exactly, you are projecting beliefs onto the situation and making all sorts of assumptions.

Yes I read the article. Apparently I missed the bit about testing the kid for THC. At least I am not missing my compassion.

You accuse me of making assumptions then proceed to imply that I have no compassion? Odd....

"He saw a piece of cake and put it in her lunch". This is false. The article states he was seen handing the girl the cake.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist so I took the article as it was written. I based my opinion on this being a case that has already been tried on facts presented.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!

NO, I did not read the article. My point was not on the article but on the subject matter. I disagree whole-heartedly with treating pot like it is a lethal poison all of a sudden. I agree with punishment if there is reason to believe there was negligence or intent, however I do not agree on such harsh punishment for a first time offender.

As for the article, it is not an official police report and contains limited information so it can be spun however you want to write/read it.

Gunky

I agree with 100% with everything you said.

You accuse me of making assumptions then proceed to imply that I have no compassion? Odd....

"He saw a piece of cake and put it in her lunch". This is false. The article states he was seen handing the girl the cake.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist so I took the article as it was written. I based my opinion on this being a case that has already been tried on facts presented.

How would handing the girl cake be significantly different from putting it in a lunch she was going to eat? Same thing: he gave her the cake. We have no idea what really happened. Knowing how the justice system is wont to treat any cannabis involved issues it is best to take that article with a few grains of salt rather than start loudly baying for the man's head without all the requisite facts, indulging in the daily minute of hate.

BD9

How would handing the girl cake be significantly different from putting it in a lunch she was going to eat? Same thing: he gave her the cake. We have no idea what really happened. Knowing how the justice system is wont to treat any cannabis involved issues it is best to take that article with a few grains of salt rather than start loudly baying for the man's head without all the requisite facts, indulging in the daily minute of hate.

gunky, you've been nasty to me since joining this conversation. Condescension, insults, but the worst, yet funniest part, is the hypocrisy.
I don't take it personally, because I know you can't help it. I've also seen that's how you have treated other members who disagree with you.
So, I'll not continue to beat a dead horse and hope you have a have a great weekend.

BD9,

TheWhisper

I think Gunky's point is that we don't know — and can never know — all the details. We only know what happened after it was filtered multiple times — the police officer(s) wrote a report based on what they saw, likely influenced by their biases, and then the court reporter wrote about that police report, again likely influenced by their biases.

It may be 100% factual, but that doesn't mean it's true.

TheWhisper,
Reactions: Derrrpp

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Washington marijuana applicants’ personal info subject to data breach

http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/06/07/washington-marijuana-data-breach/55731/

SEATTLE — The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board is working to notify marijuana license applicants whose personal information was accidentally distributed by the agency in response to a public records request.

The data may include social security numbers, driver’s license numbers, financial information, tax information and attorney-client privileged information. The LCB had redacted the documents for the records request, but a folder containing the personal information was accidentally included.

BD9

Snyder signature harms marijuana legalization proposal

Rick Snyder denies Michigan voters a chance to vote on legalization this fall.

People organizing petition drives for ballot proposals will have to adhere to a strict 180-day window to gather signatures under a bill that was signed into law Tuesday by Gov. Rick Snyder.

The law signals another blow to petition drives that would have banned fracking and legalized marijuana in the state. Both groups had worked to gather the signatures -- and in the case of the marijuana ballot, had gathered more than enough signatures, but not in a 180-day window.

The Secretary of State’s office said the MiLegalize petition is invalid because 137,029 of the signatures were gathered outside the 180-day window. The State Board of Canvassers will meet on Thursday to consider the Secretary of State's findings on the ballot proposal.

Top Bottom