Brilliant Cut Grinder

elykpeace

exVASted
How long have you owned the Shredder???

Not @Roth
But I've owned my SCS for about a year and a half and I've never washed it. Use a tooth pick to grab stuff left behind.

SCS has been very reliable but let's be honest it's pretty plain... The brilliant cut grinder looks mighty spiffy and the consistency of the med plate seems to be similar. VERY excited for this one to come to fruition:rockon:

disGRUNTled

Hey friends,

We had to wait longer than we thought for the anodizer to finish the beta grinders, but they're finally here. Which colours do you guys like? This was a colour test to see which ones are the best. These are fully assembled and ready to ship. We'll ship out some tomorrow.

We've continued to improve the grinder while we were waiting for these. We've made quite a few new prototypes in the meantime. We're optimizing the teeth and working on making the fine plate grind faster while retaining the grind consistency and smoothness.

Here are some pictures:

52hr0w.jpg

350pjcn.jpg

2ngg7jl.jpg

fz83dd.jpg

334hi83.jpg

10zv41l.jpg

j9a2jp.jpg

15zm79h.jpg

23w2yrt.jpg

292xt8y.jpg

ws36vm.jpg

11t1pc6.jpg

2uizpe8.jpg
tenor.gif

High AF...............I need one of these in my life.......

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
....... the main place where binding and stickiness occurs on traditional grinders is on the outside rim that constrains the radial movement between the grinding plates. We've eliminated that interface and in our grinder the radial movement is constrained by the center cylinder on the middle part and the inner teeth on the top part.
This is what excites me most about the Brilliant Cut (apart from the threadless aspect ) as it causes my SLX 303 to jam (despite the "never sticks" claim etched into the bottom of the grinder.)
It's a good grinder, and I love the non stick coating, but it's restricted to the grinding teeth, and still has threads to clog (and I tend not to use the kief screen since it clogs pretty quick anyway).
This is largely my own fault , but I've also dropped the bottom while unscrewing and lost the entire contents a couple of times :doh::cuss: so I'm definitely not a fan of that thread.

Yup, threadless really appeals.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
My thoughts on the Brilliant Cut Grinder so far…

I’ve had an early Beta version of this grinder for around a week now, and it’s been the only grinder I’ve used since It arrived.

Of course, first off I have to praise the quality of the materials and the attention to detail that they put into this thing. I couldn’t find a flaw in the finish anywhere. It looks freaking beautiful to be honest. Everything is machined perfectly. Everything fits together perfectly, the seams seal up nicely, and nothing wiggles that shouldn’t wiggle.

I was especially worried that the middle grinding plate would wiggle slightly against the bottom collection-chamber piece, but it most definitely does not. It’s literally perfect.

The magnets are plenty strong too. I even dropped the thing from different heights between one and two feet in the air onto my desk six or eight times, as well as simply pushing it off my desk a couple times to bounce off the floor, and it never popped open.

Speaking of the quality of the build and the metal, I noticed that the center plates SING when slid into/tapped against each other on a table. It has nothing to do with the function of the grinder…but that HAS to say something about the quality of the high end aluminum that they are using.

The grind is of course effortless and quick. Though, some leafy-thin bits of the herb always remained after a few turns that required me to turn and turn way more than I wanted to, in order get the last flakey bits to all go down through the grinding plate. Though, I have no worry about this because @Grinders for Life has already stated recently that they recognized this issue and have already changed the teeth in ways that will eliminate this issue. And, as good as they have been so far, I have no doubt that this is the case. And, as long as the newer design fixes that, I will have very little to criticize about this grinder

Otherwise, the grind itself is very consistent, especially the fine grind plate, which seems perfect for many of my vaporizers. I’d been grinding a bit rougher recently, using the SWII as my daily driver, and this nice even fine grind is a joy to have around. Though, the medium grind plate does a fantastic job on it’s own as well.

Admittedly, I barely used the largest grind plate, but I will later and I’m sure there will be time to share views on it as well.

The final grind is very consistent with this grinder, and I absolutely LOVE the treadless design. I’ve been wanting someone to release a grinder with no threads, and held together with magnets like this for as long as I’ve been using grinders. With very little practice I can open and close this thing with one hand, like cracking an egg with one hand into a pan, and I bloody adore that aspect. So, no threads to clean, and any part that gets any sticky on it is easily wiped off. This is the most convenient to use grinder that I’ve ever had the pleasure of using.

Now for my only criticisms…

The size.

The very first thing that popped into my head when I opened the box was that I’d been expecting it to be just a little bit bigger. Though, it can definitely grind enough for me, I’d rather it be slightly bigger purely for how it feels in my hands when grinding. I think that maybe if the outer sides of the top-piece were closer to the width of the bottom piece, that way I could get a better grip around it without my fingers getting in the way of the fingers in my other hand that’s holding onto the bottom-half, rather than feeling like I’m “finger-tipping” it (the top cap). I guess, overall I wish it were something like 20% larger, both in width and height. That’s still kind of a minor complaint though, not a deal-breaker by any means.

Those are my thoughts so far. I should make it clear that @grindersForLife has made it clear to me that this is an earlier version of the grinder, and there have been multiple redesigns since this one, and I can’t wait to get my hands on the newer design just as soon as I can. The Brilliant Cut Grinder I have now is easily becoming my favorite grinder, and future improvements will get it closer and closer to perfection.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Speaking of the quality of the build and the metal, I noticed that the center plates SING when slid into/tapped against each other on a table. It has nothing to do with the function of the grinder…but that HAS to say something about the quality of the high end aluminum that they are using.

Just like fine crystal glasses!

I need to clean her up and take some beauty shots when it is sunny outside.
The Sapphire is amazing. It can look dark or light, depending on the angle of light.
As this is a Beta grinder and has been noted before, it takes a bit with the fine plate and there is usually a few crumbs left after quite a few more turns than normal. Grind is also slightly coarser but this version just munches through my still moist herb! So zero complaints again!!

I feel very privileged to own these two versions of their first grinder!!
They will be treasured forever!

Thank you for your ceaseless and tireless work on creating the perfect grinder for everyone!
@Grinders for Life You know those late nights are going to pay off soon!!
This grinder is going to blow up!

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Oh my gawd, I am about to freak out with anticipation for this freaking grinder! I’m serious y’all, I have never ever felt emotions for a grinder before the BCG showed up. I would have laughed at the notion yet here I am, obsessively checking the status of this grinder... :uhh: :mental: Grinders for Life!

szai

Oh my gawd, I am about to freak out with anticipation for this freaking grinder! I’m serious y’all, I have never ever felt emotions for a grinder before the BCG showed up. I would have laughed at the notion yet here I am, obsessively checking the status of this grinder... :uhh: :mental: Grinders for Life!

It just proves that with the right design a company can excite consumers for nearly anything.

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
... @Grinders for Life , is their an option for multi coloured grinders (for example we choose what colour top, middle and bottom are) or is there only the option to choose one colour per grinder???

... im having trouble deciding on which colour i want, and some of the multi coloured variations in the pictures previous make that even harder! Talk about first world problems....

Summer

Long Island, NY
Well, I finally received the grinder. I rec'd. the same color as Ramahs. It's a turquoise teal blue & it's beautiful. Now, to make this short & not redundant, I'm gonna quote Ramahs as I am in complete agreement with his thoughts & I don't think it could be better said.

Of course, first off I have to praise the quality of the materials and the attention to detail that they put into this thing. I couldn’t find a flaw in the finish anywhere. It looks freaking beautiful to be honest. Everything is machined perfectly. Everything fits together perfectly, the seams seal up nicely, and nothing wiggles that shouldn’t wiggle.

:nod: It's solid, but not heavy. I personally like the size.

The magnets are plenty strong too.

Here's the 2 grinding plates magnetically coupled together for storage.

1003181804c.jpg

Though, some leafy-thin bits of the herb always remained after a few turns that required me to turn and turn way more than I wanted to, in order get the last flakey bits to all go down through the grinding plate. Though, I have no worry about this because @Grinders for Life has already stated recently that they recognized this issue and have already changed the teeth in ways that will eliminate this issue

:nod:

I think that maybe if the outer sides of the top-piece were closer to the width of the bottom piece

I agree with this. The width of the middle grinding plate & the top lid are almost the same. The bottom collection bowl is about twice the width of the lid. I have large hands for a woman, close to a man's medium. (Hey, blame it my Eastern European heritage. ;)) When you're not grinding by scissoring back & forth, you can always grind by turning the wider bottom collection tier rather than the lid.

But I also agree with:
That’s still kind of a minor complaint though, not a deal-breaker by any means.

Here's 2 different sativas grinds & both were on the moist side. From what Grinders for Life said, the finer grind is going to be finer with the next prototype & the coarse will be also be finer, although I personally like the current coarseness in this version.

1003181735d.jpg

1003181748a.jpg

This is the most convenient to use grinder that I’ve ever had the pleasure of using.

It is such a pleasure not to have to deal with threads. Although, out of habit, I do initially keep trying to unscrew the collection bowl.

I love it!

I'm going to be buying a grinder soon cause I need one, I might not be able to wait for these guys to finish

Buy a cheap grinder with good reviews off amazon, or ebay, to tide you over. You can pick up one for like $9. Maybe get a small one for travel, this way the 2 won't be redundant. Or if you have a spice or cheese grater in the kitchen, maybe you can use that to hold you over. If not, check, out the dollar store.

Last edited:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I'm waiting over here to buy one and some people will have a couple lol I'm going to be buying a grinder soon cause I need one, I might not be able to wait for these guys to finish
Hey man, just step back from the ledge and we’ll talk. That’s right, we’re just going to talk. :lol:

I hope that my post didn’t incite your frustration, my friend. Not sure what you’re working with presently, so I’m not making light of your predicament. I’ve been reminding myself that for decades(!) I managed just fine with no grinder at all. We all did, lol! I still remember my best friend showing me this new grinder device and being all skeptical for some time before seeing the light, LOL! Anyway, pm me and I’ll happily send you a perfect, clean small space case. It would be my honour dear sir.

The only reason you & I are freaking out is because we’ve been aware of its existence for so long. This is the design development process and GFL kindly pulled the curtain back and let us watch. It’s gotta be tough for a new product/company these days, you have to build awareness and social media is a given. And then you’ve got yo-yos like me out there with nothing better to do than stir things up when you’re still tweaking details and trying to collect meaningful feedback from your betas. Tough balancing act. They want to get it right, and they’re making something that’s new. Right now, it’s only us cannanerds that’s aware. It’s our own damn fault that @lazylathe is our friend. Real talk. :D

I’m in for the long haul and loving every minute! If I wasn’t clear before, I don’t mind the wait because you cannot rush greatness. I know that for me, when my BCG arrives, the waiting and cost won’t matter at all. Until then I’ll just keep singing Tom Petty!

:leaf:

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I'm only frustrated that need and finance line up but the product I desire doesn't line up with my timetable. I've been using a space case that has black coating coming off. I'll probably get a homegrown cause they don't have traditional threading, and it's available.

This is a killer looking grinder. Maybe someday I'll be getting one.

Some decent suggestions to tide me over until this is released, but I'm not going to be able to sit on funds for the grinder, it will get spent.

I think hanging around the thread is bad for my health lol

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Just took my new Splinter Z out for it's 3rd run. So, been thinking about this grinder & I do have something to add.

@Grinders for Life, why are you making the fine grind any finer? It's so perfectly fine now. If you go any finer, you do risk powdering in the grind. And I don't know why your are making the coarse grind finer because I think you're gonna wind up duplicating the med. grind &, thus, there not being any differentiation between the medium & coarse like there is now. Personally, I think the grinds are absolutely perfect the way they are.

Not sure for scale that this pic is worth anything. (I'm tired so next time I'm do better.) Since most of you are familiar with the vc this is about .03 of fine grind-- the smallest omni bowl setting -- enough for one microdosing hit.

1003182207.jpg

You see in the 1st pic of my prior post that the med. grind is even, yet in the 2nd pic, (different, moister strain), the grind is a mixture of fine & medium (a finer coarse.) Yet, the other plates didn't differ in the grind regardless of moisture content. Seems peculiar, but I will gladly ;) continue to test to see the validity of this.

To the best of my ability using a cheap dollar store ruler, the grinder measurements are:
(*Sorry to my EU friends, but you're gonna have to do the conversion this time. :p)

diameter: 2-1/4"
overall height, not taking into account the center diamond faceting: 1-7/16", just an 1/16" shy of 1-1/2"
height of lid - 3/8"
height of grinding plate - 3/8"
height of bowl - 5/8"

I was surprised that the bottom also has the lid's diamond design. The convexness of the diamond design is very comfortable in the palm while grinding. I just love the ergonomics of it -- no unscrewing those damn, neverending threads. This is pretty much all I have to say about the grinder. :)

Last edited:

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
For as little time as I spend grinding herbs, I have far more grinders than I need. I love the hype, but how much herb do you really grind that a new grinder will cause the heavens to open, the crops to grow and great gifts to bestowed? It's great to have nice quality things, but not if they are just to sit. Even here at home my grinders sit. I bet the grinder that sees the most use is the one I leave in Jamaica, and that's an inexpensive grinder. In short, I'm not convinced but for whatever reason remain intrigued :hmm:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Thank you @Summer for the dimensions, I had wondered about it and assumed it was at the beginning. Then I would forget to look, space out and move on... so thanks for being so precise and thorough! :tup:

Happy to see @Hogni back on board and picking on the poor Americans! :wave: No one is safe anymore! But my friend please don’t distract GFL with new product requests, just let them focus on my baby. :goon:

@YaMon I’m completely different, although I know others like you who have grinder collections. I only have one grinder- the solid GR8TR, was my first non-cheepo grinder. I do have a SC freebie I don’t use. I made it a 3-piece & usually grind once a day or so, ~.5 g. That means I am poking and brushing that fine plate daily, more than enough so that I am plenty excited for the BCG! It’s a great grind but I’m so ready to clean and sell the kannastor. If I were in your situation, I would probably feel the same.

Given the superior material used, the evident quality & innovative design (along with comparable pricing to SCS, SC, other), I don’t want to acquire a collection of tools that all do the same thing, the exact same way. I’m thinking this is the last grinder I have to buy, hopefully. Grinders For Life is their name, after all.

Top Bottom