Bowl size... taken with a grain of salt...

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
I don't think this is going to give an accurate representation of how much each unit is capable of holding while still functioning because the optimal packing for each unit is different.

I agree with you completely, and will add more in that "optimal" is subjective and will vary as much as there are different users and different uses.

That being said, this was *NEVER* an attempt to judge optimal loads.

As I point out, that is entirely subjective, and there is no one true answer. Optimal usage of a device is a discussion of opinions that is best left to the device thread.

We are looking for and OBJECTIVE measure, that has NOTHING to do with performance. It's just a fact --like how much a vape weighs -- that a lot of people are interested in for comparisions.

Minimum load that vapes well enough
Maximum load that vapes well enough
Interval where it vapes at/near its full potential

Thank you for your approximative comparisions. I'll use them to try to double-check the data I get.

"Well enough", "full potential" -- And again we are back at the subjective opinion. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on those terms, and again, the performance of a particular device is best left to its thread.

So going back to objective measureable volume of devices... I'm trying to get all of the initial reports on a page as we speak. :)

Get all the data!!!! Like the NSA. :\ ....Get all the data on weight first and then worry about optimal bowl size, temperatures, etc.

Yup. Exactly. Don't care about optimal anything at this point. See my comments in this post.

I don't mind measuring with salt, My results this morning:

Thank you for all of that data! :)

nigel,

clouded vision

i understand what you are looking for but I guessed I'm trying to figure out why. I get that you are trying to have some standard so you can compare then empirically but what I was getting at was that your methodology is flawed, what good is knowing that my LSV can potentially hold say 3 times as much as my solo when in reality it can only hold twice as much while still working. The way you pack a bowl is going to vary unit to unit in order to have it work and when people ask how much a certain unit will hold over another they want to know how much herb can it hold while still working, not how much more can I cram in there as though it was just a container. I would bet that you could ask almost any manufacture for the volume of their bowl for comparison but ultimately it isn't going to matter of one unit will work fully packed while the other doesn't.

I still plan to weigh for you as soon as I get a chance but right now I don't have any pieces that are clean enough to put salt in or dirty enough to want to clean right away

clouded vision,

nigel

i understand what you are looking for but I guessed I'm trying to figure out why.

Why? Because people ask for that info. It's just a "gut-check" item for most people looking into a new device.

[Plus, it's kinda fun collecting the data and comparing. :) ]

Yup, it has nothing to do with performance or optimal anything. Yup, different users use their devices in different ways. Yup, don't expect people to use anything fully loaded, just as I don't expect any person asking about cubic feet of storage in the trunk of a new car to ever use 100% of it.

It's just a factual metric, and about the only thing you can say about bowl capacity that isn't a subjective or conditional response.

It seems you think we are trying to measure something we are not.

Trying to get relational volumes. That's it.

I still plan to weigh for you as soon as I get a chance but right now I don't have any pieces that are clean enough to put salt in or dirty enough to want to clean right away

Heh... looks like we caught a few people just as they are cleaning. Or maybe this was the incentive to clean? :)

But, yeah, any device (even if I have a measurement already) you want to add will be great!
[As long as we both agree that it's just a measurement, and not an indicator of performance. ;) :) ]

nigel,
Reactions: Dreamerr

nigel

This is a really cool idea!
Plenty = 7.65
MFLB = 2.22

Oh and one of my Jyarz holds 43.33

I'll note that your MFLB is a bit bigger than the other measurement, but that's why I'm glad to have multiple data points: Averages. :)

Heh... and I made a category for non-bowls because of you. ;) There's only 1 size of Jyarz, right? Hmmm... you might have convinced me to pick one up.

nigel,

Yoshimattsu

I'll note that your MFLB is a bit bigger than the other measurement, but that's why I'm glad to have multiple data points: Averages. :)

Heh... and I made a category for non-bowls because of you. ;) There's only 1 size of Jyarz, right? Hmmm... you might have convinced me to pick one up.

Yeah there's only one size Jyar at the moment, they mentioned working on others, but not yet. Keep up the good work!

Yoshimattsu,
Reactions: nigel

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
With the MFLB did you fill to the bend in the screen or to the top of the wood cause that could be the difference.

I want to play this isn't fair.

If you put salt in a dirty stem what happens next time you vape?

nigel

With the MFLB did you fill to the bend in the screen or to the top of the wood cause that could be the difference.

I figured the MFLB would be one of the difficult ones. :)

NaCl's boiling point is ~2,500°F, so I'd think almost nothing. Was requesting measuring clean stems, just so whatever buildup doesn't interfere with the measurement.

nigel,

Yoshimattsu

I filled it to the top of the trenches like I would with herb material.

Edit: To clarify, I mean I usually fill it to where it is "flush" or level with the flat part of the screen, that's what I always heard the recommended "full" point is for the MFLB, so that's where I measured the salt from.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

I think the variance between my measurement and the one from Yoshimattsu is about what I'd expect. I measured the same way he did, filled to the rails.

To answer Dreamerr about the Pinnacle bullet, I filled it right to the top.

Bouldorado

Stock solo bowl w/ screen:
3 bowls = 3.73g = 1.24g/bowl.

Heat Island 5/16" metal bowl (I believe this is the same size used by PD, MZ):
5 bowls = 1.80g = .36g/bowl

Salt used was Kroger brand "free flowing salt". Measured by pouring over bowl until level.

Bouldorado,

SwiftGeneration

Get Lifted.
I tried to add the values to the VP wiki article, but it's locked from new users. :shrug:

This thread is a great idea and the data collected invaluable. Thanks to Nigel and all contributors

SwiftGeneration,

nigel

thanks everyone! Your data will be added tomorrow.
:)

I tried to add the values to the VP wiki article,

Thanks! But I got this. I also have a [larger scope than just this project] local database that all of the figures go into. I'm trying to ensure data is consistent across both the page and the database so more interesting stuff can be done with the larger database later.

nigel

*Finally* updated newest items. (sorry-Been on the road)

Thanks for info. Few questions:

Solo stock stem - 1.52
LSV 18mm shorty WPA - 4.66
Transfer wand - 4.36

Last two are both LSV, right?

Was there a screen in your solo stem? (see following question)

Stock solo bowl w/ screen:
3 bowls = 3.73g = 1.24g/bowl.

Heat Island 5/16" metal bowl (I believe this is the same size used by PD, MZ):
5 bowls = 1.80g = .36g/bowl

Salt used was Kroger brand "free flowing salt". Measured by pouring over bowl until level.

Great! As you solo stock bowl was about about 80% of the previous measurement, can I presume that the screen has some effect? [I don't have a solo, so I'm guessing here.]

Thanks all!! I'll be the first to admit that I know very few devices, so this project is causing me to look up (& learn) all kinds of new vapes. Oh, and learn more acronyms. :)

nigel,

clouded vision

yes both of the last 2 are the LSV. my solo was also with a screen but was an average of ten bowls instead of just 3. also you should probably throw out the HI and solo weights from bouldarado as he started he used a different brand and more importantly it is free flowing which means it has additives to prevent the salt from caking up or sticking to the sides of the dispenser

clouded vision,
Top Bottom