Best portable for wilderness backpacking?

What are your thoughts on the best portable for either

(a) single-day outdoor excursions (hiking, skiing, etc)

(b) longer term outdoor trips (wilderness backpacking)

The MFLB sounds like the right choice for (a), but I'm concerned about the battery life for (b). Is a lighter-based vaporizer a better choice there? Is the Vaporgenie/Gn0me a good choice? I'm not terribly familiar with what my options are here, so are there any I'm not thinking of that I should be considering?

Main factors:
size and weight
battery/fuel life (say, the weight required for 5 days of moderate daily use or 50 moderate draws)
quality, ease of use (good temperature control is a plus), resilience to wind/cold, durability

itsmekirby,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
For a 5 day trip, I'd go with the VG. All you need is a lighter and you're good to go.

A Supreme would be my second choice, but you can also consider the iolite or wispr as well as you can carry butane quite easily.

edit: For a one day hike I'd take the Thermovape over the MFLB.
:2c:

Stu,

weedemon

enthusiast
The Gnome is the one i'd take. that with a can of butane and your torch :) that or the revolution

weedemon,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Stealthvape has yet to be tested, nor has the DaVinci. They are new entrants to the market.

:peace:

Stu,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
For either a hike or camping trip I'd take a lighter based vape for sure. Even for the hike - if it's a day trip - I think the MFLB or Thermovape would need too many batteries to be sure you're covered for an entire day (unless your a very light user and just a few batteries will cover you). Whereas something like the VG, gn0me, Vapman etc. a lighter and can of butane could have you covered for a week with no worries and minimal weight :2c:

J.R.R.Tokin',

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
What about Metal vapobowl with cheap 2 $ metal screw pipe.. ? or small acrylic or bamboo bong ? Can't brake it ... Costs 10-12 $ (around 15$with the bong/pipe). With a can of butane i can vaporize probably about 50-100 g material..
LOL.... / Vaporstar is also a similar product you might wanna look in.. if can't find the VB
VG thin coil is only 20 $ on the VG website.
This would be my choices if i need a vape which is almost imposible to brake and won't hurt my heart even if i loose.
--------------
Gong gnome or gnome classic would be my choice if i aim at cleanest and tastiest possible vaporizing experience on the go..
You can get the classic for 40 $ with a nice storage pouch . It needs less butane than the gong,uses less herb + you can watch herb changing color which imo is better than any temp dial/digital display :).
-------------------------
If you are looking into spending a bit more $ you can look into the Vapman and the Lotus .. Which are also flame powered + are getting much love on FC..
Thing that is keeping me off getting one is the mica (and maybe the copper bowl) in the Vapman.. and the Nickel ? top of the lotus..
Vapman is the cheaper option for now.. The basic version can be found for cheap money on the official website :).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I personally wouldn't consider a electric portable for a hike .. but if i was going to have one.. i would aim in more battery life..
I heard Vaporblunt is capable of vaping satisfying amounts of herb on single charge + is a great to pass around :). Although it might not be suitable for the type of use you described .

Abysmal Vapor,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i looked into the vaporsmoke for a while and it seemed to be right on the money for what you need.
that being said the learning curve is somewhat long.
http://vaporsmokepipe.com/

OO,

scottio19

scotty
don't go battery powered, no electric portables have the battery life you are looking for yet.
these guys are right when they suggest butane

scottio19,

hogleg

I have used my VaporGenie handcarved on many a backpacking trip I carry a torch lighter for the wind. It is tough ultralight and versatile the torch comes in handy for fires

hogleg,

SD_haze

I'd go with the Metal Coil vaporgenie. Its a steal at only $20 shipped and is lightweight/compact/ultra-durable, perfect for backpacking. With a small torch lighter its pretty darn wind-proof. (Just thoroughly practice it at home first, there's definitely a learning curve)

I went backpacking at joshua tree last spring but i actually went with edibles instead of vaporization. Kept the lungs in tip-top shape and extra calories are always a bonus with 60 lbs on your back.

SD_haze,

hogleg

the coil weighs a shitload more 70g and 56g for the hc and the pipe probably has 2+g of buildup inside. I do not choose the coil for hiking ever the pipe is so much easier

hogleg,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I'd like to put my :2c: on a couple of electric portables:

I would say the solo is fine for a 1 day trip.
5-7 12 minute cycles vaping 1-2 stems per cycle seems fine for 1 day to me.

The Omicron is also very portable, and I'm sure 1/2 cart(s) and 2 batteries will last almost anyone a few days.

Aside from those, I'd agree that butane powered would be the way to go.

I'd also like to vouch for the gnome, I recently picked up the GonG version an I am loving it.

Frederick McGuire,

hogleg

The electric portables work ok if you are planning to solar charge batts for headlamps and such. I carried a vapir mini one 4 day trip with extra batts and the cold killed them all first day so now its always two torches and the VG you can even use a stick on fire if you had to. If I want to use concentrates I just throw in a fine screen all the way at the top of the bowl and it works great for all but the really liquid stuff which is a pain in the ass in the hills anyways

hogleg,

max

Out to lunch
scottio19 said:
don't go battery powered, no electric portables have the battery life you are looking for yet.
Battery life is no problem if you have a bunch of charged batteries with you. A vape powered by user replaceable bats is different from one where you have to recharge the internal battery.

max,

scottio19

scotty
true max, user replaceable batteries are hands down better than internal batteries in the OP's situation, but I'd have to spend a ton of $$ to buy enough recheargable AA's to last 5 days of use for my MFLB.

I cannot speak for the Thermovape, maybe its batteries are cheaper/last longer. only then would I recommend an electric portable for long trips

scottio19,

max

Out to lunch
I missed the 5 days part. That would indeed take a good supply of bats, or light use. I could manage it, if it were just me using it, but it wouldn't be a good choice for a lot of people.

The Thermovape goes through bats fast. I would take my iolite, but for the best reliability a lighter based vape is the way to go.

max,

OO

Technical Skeptical
another thought is just bring a long pipe or small bong, and solar bowl with a magnifying glass.

OO,
Top Bottom