BatesxWorm Diffusion Pump Bubbler

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
agreed with jeppy on ALT shipping. gotten like 4-5 packages from them and every piece has been just as he said with the bomb proof shipping and outer foam. I saved their boxes/supplies and use it to ship other stuff out when I've sold it.

MarcellusWiley,
Reactions: Jeppy

bassplayer

OK, got the Bates unwrapped and noticed some 'smudging' of some sort on the inner tube (this is the big smudge, there's a smaller on on the other side of the tube. I have emailed the pic to the place I purchased from to get their opinion. What do you think? A defect or simply part of the manufacturing process that slipped past quality control? I currently have it full of Grunge Off to see if that helps remove it (water didn't help)

bassplayer,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
If it doesn't come off with the Grunge Off, I'd request a replacement myself.
:peace:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Try using tinypic. It looks like the flikr stuff blocked from forum embedding.
95rkgi.jpg

:peace:

Stu,

bassplayer

thanks! working now, anyways yeah grunge-off didn't do anything, will ask for a return/replacement

bassplayer,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I agree with Stu, if the grunge off doesn't get it off, I'd be asking for a replacement, or something.

There's nothing functionally wrong, but they essentially sent you a blemished unit.:\

Frederick McGuire,

bassplayer

I agree with Stu, if the grunge off doesn't get it off, I'd be asking for a replacement, or something.
There's nothing functionally wrong, but they essentially sent you a blemished unit.:\
Yeah, I agree. I ordered it from a popular site so hopefully it'll be an easy return/replacement process. The only things that touched the piece are my fingers, water and grunge off...

bassplayer,

SD_haze

I had a identical looking mark on the lip of my $200+ HydraTree and it eventually just came off. However, that was somewhere my finger could get to, unlike yours.

I was told it was a "tool mark" from the "high heat" :\

If grunge off didn't help, I'm think Iso + an abrasive like kosher rock salt could work (if getting a replacement falls through)

bassplayer

On close inspection, the dot above the smear seems to be something like a tiny pebble - it looks like it's embedded into the tube wall a bit...strange...

bassplayer,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Don't know about dot, but those smudges are definitely "tool marks". I have one on my SSFG downstem, that is slowly wearing off. Simple Green helped some, but then I was able to rub it to.

That dark and location... I wouldn't want to guess. Glass guy really needs to make that call. Certainly worthy of emailing concern and if it fades as slower than mine... I would want a replacement to.

EDIT: Then again, yours looks more granular and possibly easier to come off. Mine was actually made worse, when I received it. I saw a little tiny black mark and just went to rub it off, whoops! 1" long smudge now. The glass cleaning stuff, might work. You might want to try something like Formula 420, which is the blue granular shit. Works well, on open pieces like that.

Also, the more I look at that "dot" in your full-size pic... I'm thinking its the same stuff (not in the glass itself). Same color and consistency (taking the lighting into account). In fact, the lighting looks like its reflecting off the top of it. I don't think it would be that highlighted, if it were inside the glass. But, then again. I'm not holding it.

EDIT II:

Larger 2 circles, graphite "tool marks". Smaller circle, looks like tiny bubble.
batesworm.jpg

BigDaddyVapor,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Don't know about dot, but those smudges are definitely "tool marks". I have one on my SSFG downstem, that is slowly wearing off. Simple Green helped some, but then I was able to rub it to.

That dark and location... I wouldn't want to guess. Glass guy really needs to make that call. Certainly worthy of emailing concern and if it fades as slower than mine... I would want a replacement to.

EDIT: Then again, yours looks more granular and possibly easier to come off. Mine was actually made worse, when I received it. I saw a little tiny black mark and just went to rub it off, whoops! 1" long smudge now. The glass cleaning stuff, might work. You might want to try something like Formula 420, which is the blue granular shit. Works well, on open pieces like that.

Also, the more I look at that "dot" in your full-size pic... I'm thinking its the same stuff (not in the glass itself). Same color and consistency (taking the lighting into account). In fact, the lighting looks like its reflecting off the top of it. I don't think it would be that highlighted, if it were inside the glass. But, then again. I'm not holding it.

EDIT II:

Larger 2 circles, graphite "tool marks". Smaller circle, looks like tiny bubble.
batesworm.jpg

So so so,

I had the exact same mark a little higher on my Diff. pump! It also bothered me (+ I'm in France so not willing to send it back for that!), but I had already seen it on other pieces and knew it was graphite...the only problem with that piece is cleaning access to that spot, so I did a little DIY:

So pipe cleaners with a little grung offf magic, I did hit the spot in 5 mn and the black berk just disappeared with almost no friction!

Hope that helped!

farscaper

What site did you use to order (what is in my mind) a 400 dollar blem. I dont care who made the mess up, that reflects poorly on that site and their ethics as a company. I hate companys that have shipping clerks send out obveious defects. That should have never made it past QC and here it is making it to your door, a 400+ dollar fuck up. I dont deal with people who are always tryn to pull fast ones on me.

farscaper,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
It's ALT for my side... and though I feel you this is a totally frequent tool mark I have seen on many pieces from many different glass blowers, bought in several online legit businesses...and they all vanish with a little friction. Yes with this piece it is a little complicated to get it properly but nothing that pissed me off, really!

farscaper

Sorry, that may have seemed stonger than i meant... I just got burn on a picec that just never made it here so im like... Wtf who can ya trust? i just kinda figured for such a price tag they could at least clean the fucker lol.

bassplayer

What site did you use to order (what is in my mind) a 400 dollar blem. I dont care who made the mess up, that reflects poorly on that site and their ethics as a company. I hate companys that have shipping clerks send out obveious defects. That should have never made it past QC and here it is making it to your door, a 400+ dollar fuck up. I dont deal with people who are always tryn to pull fast ones on me.
ALT

bassplayer,
Top Bottom