Bad karma, vapes banned in checked baggage

OF

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/dot-issues-new-flight-safety-rule-e-cigarettes

Effective in two weeks, no 'e-cigs or related devices' allowed in checked baggage on airplane flights. For sure this will include our vapes. You can carry them (but not use them) onboard, and can't charge them either.

This means, I think, the end of 'getting a pass' on vapes in your luggage because it looks like an e-cig.......

Makes me kinda glad I don't fly anymore. Be advised, Friends and Neighbors, those TSA guys can really harsh your mellow.

OF

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
That REALLY sucks :disgust:
Wonder if they'll make us take it out of the carry-on so they can inspect it?

Interesting that they allow you to carry them onboard but not in checked luggage. Seems counter productive to me. :hmm:
My guess would be that if the e-cigarette was stored in a checked bag, the bag could catch fire and do more damage before someone notices. Maybe if it's in a carry-on, someone will notice a catastrophic problem and prevent the fire before it becomes worse/

Nube Scrutator

Cloud Searcher...
Carry on is fine with me. No need to charge a vape while flying anyways. Can't see why this is a problem.

My guess would be that if the e-cigarette was stored in a checked bag, the bag could catch fire and do more damage before someone notices. Maybe if it's in a carry-on, someone will notice a catastrophic problem and prevent the fire before it becomes worse/

Good guess...

“We know from recent incidents that e-cigarettes in checked bags can catch fire during transport,” said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. “Fire hazards in flight are particularly dangerous. Banning e-cigarettes from checked bags is a prudent safety measure.” - See more at: https://www.transportation.gov/brie...safety-rule-e-cigarettes#sthash.lFts50VH.dpuf

killick

But I like it!
It's still legal to use e-cigs (and med MJ vapes) in airports in Canada, but I'm guessing we can't put them in luggage now, either. Our lawmakers are pretty silly, and tend to just copy what y'all do south of the border. Fortunately we use a different approach to MMJ ;)

A buddy was an airport screener on the US East Coast when he was in college in the 80s. One guy came up and looked really nervous. Buddy opened his bag and, after moving a few things around, saw a big bag of weed. He told the guy 'don't worry - I'm only looking for things that might damage the aircraft'. Thats kinda how it's supposed to be, at least in my world...

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@momofthegoons I agree it doesn't make sense to allow them in your carry on luggage but not the checked luggage. If they are thinking about safety it doesn't make sense to me.

Nube Scrutator

Cloud Searcher...
@CarolKing it makes sense to me. If a fire were to start in a room without people (cargo area of jet etc) it could go undetected for some time. However if a fire were to start in the passenger section, it would most likely be detected quickly, managed and extinguished.

Nube Scrutator,

CarolKing

Any fire on a plane is not something I want to deal with at all. Whether it's in the passenger section or the underbelly of the plane.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Things with those hi-tech batteries, I can see. I can't imagine a log vape would be a problem in checked baggage. Nevertheless, clean vaporizers are not illegal to have in your possession. I would feel comfortable with my Arizer Air in my carry-on. Or my Mighty, or ego-style battery base.

CarolKing

I wonder about some of the safety of the small cheap ecigs out there. I wouldn't think there would be a problem with something like the Solo or the Enano either.

When they make a ruling on something like that it's because there have been problems in the past. Think about all the Chinese cheap knock off vapes on the market that are sold all over the world. I want to be the safest possible if I or a loved one is flying on a plane.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I"m not sure, but I understand some batteries can be unstable, like the Li-ion:
From Wikipedia:
While fire is often serious, it may be catastrophically so. In about 2010 large lithium-ion batteries were introduced in place of other chemistries to power systems on some aircraft; as of January 2014 there had been at least four serious lithium-ion battery fires, or smoke, on the Boeing 787 passenger aircraft, introduced in 2011, which did not cause crashes but had the potential to do so

Last edited:
macbill,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Just one more reason for me to not get on a plane......

Interesting that they allow you to carry them onboard but not in checked luggage. Seems counter productive to me. :hmm:
Not really, the smoke lounges in airports (the ones that still have them anyways!) allow ecigs. I bet as long as you're not blowing stupid huge clouds the bars wouldn't mind if they're not busy... I think it's mostly because people are stupid and try to use their ecigs on a plane (even in the bathrooms where the air displacement shit goes on and triggers the fire alarms). Also, and I'm fixing my tinfoil hat here a bit, somebody has tried building a small bomb that looks like a box mod and they (somehow*) got caught and they don't want to bring any attention to it by bringing it to the news to prevent copy cats or to give any ideas. There are box mods that use two+ 26650 batteries, lots of space if one were so inclined.

Box mod internals:

black.jpg

* TSA has a great 95% failure rate, so maybe not luck... http://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/09/tsa-a-failure-at-every-level-security-expert.html

Top Bottom