Athlete Vaporists?

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Man, that sounds like deep nerve pain you have there. I know running is fun and all but your going to need to spread your activities among more than just one set muscles or you are going to be prone to this kind of stress damage.

Do you enjoy swimming? That may be a good activity to do in the meantime while you wait for your legs to heal a bit. Not only is it great full body exercise but the lack of weight on your leg will help it heal.

I hope you are feeling better soon man.

lwien

I think it could be IBS, a pretty common injury for runners and typically happens with overuse, except with IBS, it can radiate up the leg. Mine radiates down from the lower knee cap to mid calf. Feels like it could be tendinitis. Don't know. Will continue to ice for a few days. Gotta give running a shot in a few hours just to see if I can tolerate it. No way I can run through it though cause when this pain hits, walking is hard to do.

This is beginning to piss me off............

lwien,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Got the bikes out (finally!) and went on a bit of a jaunt.

Ooooo, the BURN! ... it's okay, my quads will forgive me, someday.

I also like medicating after. :)

BlazedRunner

run high
Iwien, do you bounce when you walk and/or run? Most recreational runners bounce a lot. I think people have the mental image that running should be bouncy. If you look at really good runners, they aren't bouncing much. Their energy is all directed forward. Bouncing puts more stress on your joints than necessary. Your knee should be bent when your foot hits the ground and it should straighten out behind you in such a way to push you forward, not upward. Think about moving forward without bouncing and align your body so that your head balances on top of your spine without needing neck muscles.

As for knee problems, the knee joint is at the mercy of the hip and ankle. The knee is a hinge, whereas the hip is a ball joint and the ankle is a funky joint that moves in two dimensions. Often knee problems have something to do with how things are lining up.

lwien

I just thought it was all the wear and tear of running about 20 miles a week and carrying a 250----now 200, pound body at 69 years old is beginning to take it's tole. I've run (on and off, but usually on for at least a few years, off for a year) since about 1980, and this last time, I've been at it over 4 years straight and I never had any issues with my knees before.

As far as bouncing, I don't think I do. I am kind of a mid-heal striker in that I'm never really going out after speed, but rather a mid paced jog.

But I will check my form next time I go out. I was gonna give it a go this evening, but after a few semi-painful twangs, I decided against it to give whatever's goin' on a chance to heal.

ps, I guess I am kinda recreational in that no one pays me to sweat. ;)

lwien,

Yanmam37

Advid user of my MFLB and love it to death. I will be attending a D1 college next year for track and field. Very excited about that but it sucks I have to stop using cannibis for 4 years

BlazedRunner

run high
Too bad Yanmam37 but running D1 must be cool. I vape every day, so it isn't a matter of cannabis vs no cannabis for me. I want to relate my experiences as a runner who *does* consistently medicate, which I have not seen anyone else do.
Training%20Load%202013-07-18.png

I have been using a gps watch since 2009 and observing trends in my running. I have been consistently medicated since May 2012. Since then I have gotten more consistent than I was before. You can see (the blue shaded region) I have less extreme ups and downs in my fitness. This is also due to experience and learning how to avoid injury. You might call this a plateau in my training but I welcome not being injured and I don't miss the emotional ups and downs that come with injury and peaks in fitness. And you can also see that my base fitness averaged over a year (the unshaded plot) is as high as ever.

Qualitatively I definitely feel like I don't have that high gear that I can kick in to. I don't have the ability or possibly the desire to surge hard. The beginning of all my runs is very lazy. I always feel too tired to run for the first 10 minutes or so, and then I kind of go into a cruise mode where I can cruise pretty well, quite relaxed. I can run at close to my threshold for pretty long and be relaxed for quite a while. My heart rate is much higher but it doesn't feel really high. It just feels like I get too lazy to run faster at a certain point. I only feel like running as fast as I can relaxed. I don't consider this a negative thing at all.

BlazedRunner,
Reactions: VapoRoor

kingtut106

Advid user of my MFLB and love it to death. I will be attending a D1 college next year for track and field. Very excited about that but it sucks I have to stop using cannibis for 4 years

I ran D1 all four years of college and vaped all the time. If you are worried about drug testing it really does not happen in track unless you blatantly look like you are on steroids.

kingtut106,

Yanmam37

I ran D1 all four years of college and vaped all the time. If you are worried about drug testing it really does not happen in track unless you blatantly look like you are on steroids.
Oh great that's good to know. Glad I won't have to give up the vape after all. And I'm going to college for jumps. Long and triple also probably the 400m. Damn I just realized my username is spelt wrong It's soppouse to be yanman37. But oh well

vapirtoo

As a dIII track coach, I must agree with the king. Testing for anything
is very rare in college track. Rare means almost non-existent. If you are caught,
most likely you will receive a warning if the institution likes you. You could
forfeit your scholarship if they are out to get you.
If you start breaking records, then all bets are off, and I would stop vaping. :2c:

vapirtoo,

kingtut106

Oh great that's good to know. Glad I won't have to give up the vape after all. And I'm going to college for jumps. Long and triple also probably the 400m. Damn I just realized my username is spelt wrong It's soppouse to be yanman37. But oh well

Haha nice I did long and triple my best was 24' and 50' 5". I have my school records for indoor and outdoor in triple and that did not stop me from vaping if anything it helped haha.

kingtut106,

vapirtoo

Damn King, 24' is an awesome long jump.
Your triple is solid also. Great job. !
:bowdown: If only I had those type of numbers.

vapirtoo,

lwien

So I just started to roll out my IT band with my foam roller because I've been having some intermittent pain on the outside of my knee. OUCHIE....................Dat foam roller HURTS (not my knee, but my IT band), which is an indication that I really need to do this, but man, almost brings tears to my eyes.

The "no pain, no gain" saying, imho, applies more to this fraking foam roller than anything. I've used it on my back, my calves, and my quads, but the pain from rolling my IT band is intense. The first thing I thought of when that pain hit over those certain areas was, "No wonder my knees have been giving me issues lately."

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
ouch ... i feel for you... fear of knee damage is why i gave up road running about 15 years ago. NordicTrack FTW!

on a similar note i finally started using my Bowflex about 7 weeks ago. and, much to my surprise i am really enjoying turning my puny 65 year old body into a stud muffin. i am quite curious to see what i will look like in another 8 weeks.

lwien

k FTW!

....i am really enjoying turning my puny 65 year old body into a stud muffin. i am quite curious to see what i will look like in another 8 weeks.

Worse than you look now. ;)

But in regards to giving up running, for me, I don't think I ever will. I may have to slow down eventually, but I'll be going around that track even if I'm pushing a walker in front of me or pushing the wheels on my wheelchair. It's my addiction and drug of choice.

Gobrian

I've done a full and a half after 2 solo stems right before each. I love vapor running and feel like it does not hinder my performance.

Got some Streak LT2's in the mail, and some glyphs batteries for my MFLB coming in the same day... gonna be a good day on the road.

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
I love vapor running and feel like it does not hinder my performance.

I love vapor running as well! And since I'm going for endurance/strength/distance versus simply speed, vaping a low-temp sesh just before a hilly 15-mile trail run does me just right. I'm still alert so I can remember to fuel/hydrate properly but can easily zone out and enjoy my surroundings as the miles pass. Yesterday I was relegated to the road but still had a nice, stoney 10 miles.

Vapinghole,
Reactions: vapirtoo

WaterBongs

If it means anything, I also used to play sports (basketball) and smoke, and thought I had little to no difference, but didn't play spectacularly. Now I just drum/run, and smoked for quite a while, and after I started vaping I definitely started noticing the change in energy levels between the two, with vaping being much more efficient for getting shit done haha. Smoking still does the trick, but I tend to get winded after a smoke sesh in comparison, and even get a little dizzy haha?? YMMV

vapirtoo

Hey water bongs,
Smoking fills your red blood cells with carbon monoxide which makes it very hard for the red blood cells to carry and deliver oxygen to your muscles. Vaping has almost no carbon monoxide in the vapor making it easier to do cardiovascular exercise.
Since my old ass running partners (50 - 60) have fucked combustion, we all feel that our lungs are more flexible and efficient. In fact our times from our combusting 40's are very close to our current perfomance.

Lwien,
I have found that fish oil, costco's is just a effective as the expensive brands, really helps the joints.
It has eliminated severe pain in my shoulder, and many of my athletes have responded quickly as in two days!
Have you explored this remedy?

lwien

Lwien,
I have found that fish oil, costco's is just a effective as the expensive brands, really helps the joints.
It has eliminated severe pain in my shoulder, and many of my athletes have responded quickly as in two days!
Have you explored this remedy?

Yeah, I thought about that, but there's been a recent study that seems fairly conclusive that fish oil can increase the chances of getting prostate cancer, and being that I am currently having major prostate issues, fish oil is not on my things to do list.........but thanks for the tip.

lwien,

vapirtoo

Wow what a choice; My nuts, My knees, My nuts, My Knees
Conclusive study huh..... My nuts; I guess.

vapirtoo,

lwien

Knees are startin' to feel better. Only a few twinges here and there that go away as quickly as they come on. I think I've nailed down what the problem was.

This knee issue started manifesting itself a few months ago. Typically, I'll do a really fast walk, which is on a slight downhill grade for about 15 minutes as a warm up before I start running. It was during this walk that my knees would begin to hurt, but would immediately go away once I started running. Last week, rather than doing that fast walk, I just did a very slow jog to warm up, and whala..........no knee pain.

Why would my knees hurt doing a fast walk but as soon as I broke into a slow jog, the pain disappeared. Weird. Fast walking must work my knees totally different than running, eh?

lwien,

vapirtoo

Fast walking on a slight downhill proably does not agree with your system.
Yes your running form is more forgiving then your walking ,fast walking form.

vapirtoo,
Top Bottom