Athlete Vaporists?

Tweek

lol that's hilarious goat :lol: I used to think it was so depressing, that the old folks would thumb through the obituaries, I never understood it...until now. I find myself doing the same thing! Sadly enough, even though I am far from old, I still see the occasional friend or acquaintance. A stark reminder that even though I may not be old, I am not getting any younger...and death has no preferences:ugh:

Tweek,

goatgobaahh

lol that's hilarious goat :lol: I used to think it was so depressing, that the old folks would thumb through the obituaries, I never understood it...until now. I find myself doing the same thing! Sadly enough, even though I am far from old, I still see the occasional friend or acquaintance. A stark reminder that even though I may not be old, I am not getting any younger...and death has no preferences:ugh:

I'm sorry to hear that Tweak losing anyone can be difficult. I'm glad you learned something from my story as Italians have many traditions that still puzzle me today!

All we can do is keep the ones we love close and enjoy life as much as we can! Costa Rican's have a saying called "Pura vida" it translates to "Live life to the fullest".

Its something I try to do everyday. I try not to worry about things I cant control. What I can control is myself and striving to be the best person I can be. Which is why I have no trouble sleeping :cool:.

Thread related: I'm still riding my bike to the train station, which is about 6 miles(nothing too crazy) to and from work. Portion control is key to dropping my fat % as I'm down to 165. I gotta say while I look more cut, I cant wait to get surgery on my foot so I can get back to crossfit and bulking.

lwien

I'm finally down to 200.......my target weight. I haven't been this low in decades. Down from a high of 240. Wouldn't mind if I get a bit lower, but 200 in now my new ceiling. Body fat is now 22% and according to the charts for my age, it's right where it should be:

fmeg.jpg

k45n.jpg

goatgobaahh

Been eating like shit today:\ probably because I was taking my mountain bike down a bunch of stairs for the first time in a few years and totally ate shit a few times.

Gotta say it was alot of fun just about everything hurts though lol. I did beat up on those stairs alot more than they beat up on me! Gotta say before heading down them I was thinking to myself "You know I have never really broken any bones or anything...probably because I haven't spent that much time doing stupid shit like this" Cant say I regret it though it felt great!

Lets give it up for lwein for hitting his target weight!!! :clap:

keep it up brother your family of FC Athlete Vaporists are rooting for you!!!:tup:

Mr. Dabs

New Poster, long-time lurker, runner and cannabanoid enhancer :brow:

I'm not as fast as I used to be, so I run longer. I primarily have been doing ultramarathon distances and trail running over the past 10 years or so. I also enjoy cycling and kayaking as well as pretty much anything that gets my azz out of doors!

I still combust upon occasion, but I vape 99% of the time and of that, 99% of the time is concentrates. Currently in the market for a good, reliable and ROBUST portable on-the-go vape for trail running. I love to start my run pre-medicated then get to a nice area, medicate, and run back. Love it!

What do you guys suggest/use for your portable medication sessions?

Peace out!

Mr. Dabs

BlazedRunner

run high
Mr. Dabs, I would not trust any of the current set of portable vapes for running because they are expensive, bulky (for running) and are susceptible to sweat damage. However, I did have a nice loaded PAX waiting for me at the finish of a recent marathon. It was a nice post-marathon treat and possibly beneficial for recovery, although I was a bit dehydrated and the vapor gave me a slight sore throat. I would suggest hydrating or cooling the vapor if you're going to hit it during or after a taxing run.

As for my ongoing experiment, I have found my heart rate to be astonishingly high while running. It's not because I'm out of shape. My resting HR is a bit under 40 bpm, which is quite low. A moderately hard effort tempo run would bring my HR to 165-170 bpm before I started using Cannabis daily. Now it's not unusual for my HR to go over 180 and even hit my previously assumed max of 185. This is running hard, mind you, but not 5K race hard. I'm still not sure if this is a bad thing. I certainly don't feel like I'm punishing my cardiovascular system as much as the high HR would suggest.

BlazedRunner,

lwien

Cannabis does raise your HR. That's a known side effect.

Regarding if running with a higher heart rate while at the same time, not having the perceived exertion that the raised HR is indicating, is bad or not is a question I've often pondered. I never run when I'm high, but I have noticed that as the outside temp rises, so does my HR at any given pace, but my exertion level is no harder at that rate than a lower rate at the same pace when it's cooler outside. I've read somewhere that this is called heart rate creep but I just find it odd that it's not tied into an increased level of exertion.

I'm 69 years old. I try not to let my HR get above 137. At a temp of say 70 degrees, I don't need to look at my HRM because I can tell by my exertion level when I've hit 137. But when the temp starts rising above 80 degrees, I need to slow my pace down to keep it below 137 even though it doesn't feel that I'm working that hard. At above 80 degrees, I can easily let my HR climb to 143 or so but it feels like I am working out at a lower rate. Weird.

When the temp is in the 50's though, I have to work my ass off (I sound like a fucking steam locomotive) to get my HR up to 137. People in front of me definitely hear me comin' and quickly move out of the way. lol

lwien,

Mr. Dabs

Thanks for the info regarding the current state-of-the-art regarding running vapes. I might still improvise by wrapping my vape in a plastic baggie (I've done this with cellphones, for example.)

Note this would be for more "mellow" trail runs and most definitely NOT for races or even harder efforts. I save the vaping for afterwards in that case.

To add a datapoint to the HR increase...yes, most definitely, Cannabis increases my HR during my runs. Like you guys, I am not sure if this is good or bad. I used to run with an HRM all the time, but for the past few years, I've just run by perceived exertion. I don't really like the feeling of the HRM strap anyway.

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
New Poster, long-time lurker, runner and cannabanoid enhancer :brow:

I'm not as fast as I used to be, so I run longer. I primarily have been doing ultramarathon distances and trail running over the past 10 years or so. I also enjoy cycling and kayaking as well as pretty much anything that gets my azz out of doors!

I still combust upon occasion, but I vape 99% of the time and of that, 99% of the time is concentrates. Currently in the market for a good, reliable and ROBUST portable on-the-go vape for trail running. I love to start my run pre-medicated then get to a nice area, medicate, and run back. Love it!

What do you guys suggest/use for your portable medication sessions?

Peace out!

Mr. Dabs

Welcome, Mr Dabs!

We are alike, though I'm strictly a flower guy--no concentrates. I'm all for vaping on the run and find the Pax a perfect portable. Do you wear a hydration pack during your long trail runs? If so, then carrying the pax is no problem. I take my pax, already loaded and charged, and that's all I need for a ~10+ mile run.

On the go to work, but I wanted to chime in and welcome you, fellow vaporist athlete!

Mr. Dabs

Hello Vapinghole, thanks for the welcome and the great advice!

I have a MFLB, but being that it is made out of wood, I have always been hesitant to run with it, especially since I'm the "heavy sweater" type. I do run with a hydration vest, so yeah, carrying would be no problem.

I see you have experience with the MFLB as well, how does it compare to the Pax, which I've not had the pleasure to try yet?

Mr. Dabs,

Richy

Frequently up in space with Bowie
I just dropped into this forum for the first time and I thought it was gonna be about people doing massive vapebong rips, boy was I wrong. Of course it makes perfect sense now. In fact it's made me feel a bit guilty considering I'm really lazy and get zero exercise.

I have to say Mr Dabs the idea of a sweat soaked MFLB sounds pretty rank.

Hope you guys don't mind me dropping in considering I've adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Richy,

Mr. Dabs

I just dropped into this forum for the first time and I thought it was gonna be about people doing massive vapebong rips, boy was I wrong. Of course it makes perfect sense now. In fact it's made me feel a bit guilty considering I'm really lazy and get zero exercise.

Hope you guys don't mind me dropping in considering I've adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Heck no, the more, the merrier! I'm all about massive vapebong rips, too...just not necessarily WHILE running.

Yeah, the sweat-soaked MFLB is precisely why it has never gone on a run with me!

Mr. Dabs,
Reactions: Richy

vapirtoo

My friend has a pax and he thinks it is a better portable than the MFLB.
I think that the pax is too finicky with all types of battery and cleaning issues.
Except for the sweating moisture thing, the LB is a quick hitter on the go
especially with the new logo batts. The pax does hit harder when functioning
properly. My friend also just got the solo which is his latest praise worthy vape.
It seems to be made of plastic so sweating would not be such an issue.

vapirtoo,

Vapinghole

Jump on in, Richy! The vapor is just right in here. :tup:

Welcome!

Hello Vapinghole, thanks for the welcome and the great advice!

I have a MFLB, but being that it is made out of wood, I have always been hesitant to run with it, especially since I'm the "heavy sweater" type. I do run with a hydration vest, so yeah, carrying would be no problem.

I see you have experience with the MFLB as well, how does it compare to the Pax, which I've not had the pleasure to try yet?

I dig my Pax far more than my MFLB (bless its heart). I have one of the earliest pax models and it works great so long as I keep it clean. There is much less to futz with when using...no need to tap and shake after each hit. I ran with the LB before I got the Pax, and the pax is simply easier to deal with on the run. Plus, the taste us better, in my view and it holds more herb. I can get two or three sessions off one oven load.

Cheers, everyone!!

Vapinghole,
Reactions: Richy

Richy

Frequently up in space with Bowie
Thanks for the friendly welcome guys, I'll be sure to pop in regularly.

I was thinking, how about sectioning off a part of the hydration vest and running a whip style vape through it for water filtration? You could even power the vape with a similar system to that found in automatic quartz(kinetic) watches.

Note: I'm not completely crazy that was intended as a joke, albeit a bad one.

Richy,
Reactions: vapirtoo

Lokbok

I know its already been mentioned that UFC fighter Nick Diaz is an avid cannibis user.. and does triathalons for "fun" and training.. but he also says using it during training helps his "sensitivity" when training jiu jitsu. It also helps him be more creative to come up with new moves.

A lot of athletes in general are avid users because it helps them to sleep. Even in regular schmucks like us, getting enough sleep is important to help keep testosterone levels up... so apex athletes definitely benefit more from it.

Mr. Dabs

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great info regarding the Pax and comparing it to the MFLB. Speaking of the latter, I need to score some of those new batteries. I'm still using the original style ones and I think the new batts might be just what my device needs.

Also, just want to give a shout-out to everyone running Western States today...and tomorrow. Conditions are BRUTAL up on the course between Squaw and Auburn. 100 miles in temps 100 and over. YIKES! Super high temps and very humid. Karl Meltzer, one of the "old hands" of trail ultrarunning is wearing bib number 420! He's a kickass runner, currently in 17th. place and, old dog as he is, working his way up! Anyway, I'm doing a bong in his honor right now! I know you'll appreciate it, bro ;)

BlazedRunner

run high
Funny you mention WS100. I will be volunteering at one of the aid stations at WS 100 this evening.

In response to Iwien, I am aware that cannabis use increases heart rate. I would like to develop a qualitative sense of how the drug affects running efforts and training. I have done a lot of looking around on the web and haven't found much. People just don't talk about it. Especially athletes. Fitness minded people tend to be socially conservative and generally don't smoke pot, so there isn't a lot of information out there. In particular, what is the implication of having a higher heart rate? Does it mean I effectively lower my performance ceiling? I just redline and cant run any harder at a speed that would be manageable before?

I have been doing all my running medicated. I feel I'm developing my ability to run relaxed, because when high I can do nothing but relax. Sometimes it almost feels as if I am running in slow motion. Even when I feel totally exhausted I can still relax and fall in whatever direction I need to go and keep falling. I just try to keep that relaxed continuous falling feeling. My heart rate may be higher but I would like to think that the relaxed efficiency that results makes up for it.

Mr. Dabs

That's fantastic that you are volunteering at the WS100.

I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head regarding people not talking about it. Also, due to the insane Federal status, no one can do legit research on the matter. It's very underground with athletes and I'm glad to see more being upfront about it. The recent article in Trail Runner was very interesting I think.

Also, it seems, a lot of cyclists toke as well, and at least in the MTB community, it seems a bit more open than the running community.

Vapinghole

I was thinking, how about sectioning off a part of the hydration vest and running a whip style vape through it for water filtration? You could even power the vape with a similar system to that found in automatic quartz(kinetic) watches.

Note: I'm not completely crazy that was intended as a joke, albeit a bad one.

That's fucking awesome. Great idea!! :)

Vapinghole,

Random Runner

In response to Iwien, I am aware that cannabis use increases heart rate. I would like to develop a qualitative sense of how the drug affects running efforts and training. I have done a lot of looking around on the web and haven't found much. People just don't talk about it. Especially athletes. Fitness minded people tend to be socially conservative and generally don't smoke pot, so there isn't a lot of information out there. In particular, what is the implication of having a higher heart rate? Does it mean I effectively lower my performance ceiling? I just redline and cant run any harder at a speed that would be manageable before?
Hey man. I might be able to give you a few things/experiences to think about. Back when I was running competitively my teammates and I decided to smoke the night before a big race. Generally we abstained during the competitive season but we were celebrating our good fortunes and made a night of it. The next day we all PRed. Not by a few seconds, but by a good thirty seconds from everyone. We were all amazed and kept it hush hush. We felt like it was cheating so most of us went back to abstaining from smoking until the end of the season. However some guys decided it was a welcome advantage and started to smoke right before the race. These guys out performed their bests but quickly hit a plateau and couldn't run as well sober while the rest of us kept pushing forward. During the off-season (no official races) we started to experiment with cannabis and it's effects on our runs. I think we all found that running high wasn't as enjoyable, but smoking the night before (~12 hours) a race or hard practice helped us all. Sorry if this is hard to follow, IPhones are a bitch to type on.

lwien

So on the days that I don't run my 4.2 to 4.5 miles, I walk a mile (a bit uphill) to the grocery store and walk back with two 15 lbs. bag of groceries doing 3 sets of 40 curls on the way back. 2 mile round trip. Been doin' this for years. I'm always listening to some tunes from an iPod (Got these really great IEM's a few weeks ago) and yesterday afternoon, the song, Gimmie Shelter by the Stones came through on my way back and I got really caught up by the music and and kind of increased my pace to the beat while swingin' those bags of food. Stopped for a few minutes waiting for the light to turn green on the corner, and when it did, I took two steps and................YOWIE !! :o . Felt like someone was stabbing a knife in my left knee. WTF ???? I kinda limped across the street but had about a mile left to go and the longer I walked, the pain began to subside until it was completely gone, and I thought, "What in the hell that was about?". Sat down at the computer later that night, got up after about an hour, and the same thing happened. Major pain on the outside of my knee when I got up from the chair, but again, subsided to nothing after about 5 minutes.

Took some Aleve last night and this morning and I've been icing it every 4 hours. Just a tinge of pain but as soon as I hit it with ice, it goes away. Thinking about trying to go out for a run this evening to see how it holds up. Got this nagging suspicion that I'm going to get a 100 yards and I'm gonna have to stop and limp back.

What the hell? Never had any knee issues before. Wonder what this is all about. Didn't feel anything snap or anything. I was just standing at the light and when I took one step................OUCH !! l Something must have happened when I increased my pace by quite a bit when that song came on. Didn't feel it when I was walking though until I stopped for that light.

Kinda freaked out about this. I know I'm 69 and running with a 200 lb body (was at 250 when I started), so I have no doubt that I've put a lot of wear and tear on these old knees, but I really, really hope this goes away for good. There's no way in hell that I'm gonna stop running. Wonder what in the fuck happened?

lwien,
Top Bottom