Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Norcalsun

Did some reading through this thread and decided to try some glass flowers and the glass cubes. So do I place the flowers/cubes on the bottom then layer plant matter then place more flowers/cubes on top? Also is cotton used when vaping bud, if so how is it layered. My Ascent should be here this Tues so I'm trying to get some accessories ordered and learn the best ways to use this. Thanks. Also what size flowers do I need?

Norcalsun,

Conky

Did some reading through this thread and decided to try some glass flowers and the glass cubes. So do I place the flowers/cubes on the bottom then layer plant matter then place more flowers/cubes on top? Also is cotton used when vaping bud, if so how is it layered. My Ascent should be here this Tues so I'm trying to get some accessories ordered and learn the best ways to use this. Thanks. Also what size flowers do I need?
Flowers - not sure on the exact size, my lhs just has one kind. I toss 2 in the bottom, layer of green, more flowers (if I want to use a small amount, skip if filling it up), more green, then use 2 flowers like tacks on the top of everything.

Beads - put in the green, press it with the jar to compress it together. Put the cube/bead on top and it acts as a weight to keep it on the bottom.

Cotton - you can wrap a bud in cotton so it's resting in the middle and toss it in the chamber. Can do the same with ground up stuff. It's easier to use the full bud if your keeping the avb, ground up is nicer to hit, but a pain if you want to get it out to save. You can also put ground up bud in the bowl and then just fill the remainder with cotton.

That's been my experience.

Norcalsun

Flowers - not sure on the exact size, my lhs just has one kind. I toss 2 in the bottom, layer of green, more flowers (if I want to use a small amount, skip if filling it up), more green, then use 2 flowers like tacks on the top of everything.

Beads - put in the green, press it with the jar to compress it together. Put the cube/bead on top and it acts as a weight to keep it on the bottom.

Cotton - you can wrap a bud in cotton so it's resting in the middle and toss it in the chamber. Can do the same with ground up stuff. It's easier to use the full bud if your keeping the avb, ground up is nicer to hit, but a pain if you want to get it out to save. You can also put ground up bud in the bowl and then just fill the remainder with cotton.

That's been my experience.

When just using small amounts of bud which techniques have worked best for you, concerning taste and vapor quantity.

mod note: Edited to fix quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Norcalsun,

Conky

For a very small amount, under the jar seems to be the easiest, but using 8 flowers is a bit nicer, just gets the stems messier quicker.

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Reporting back in day 2 with my replacement. Smell is subsiding. This will require getting use to all over again. Seems I need to set 10*F hotter on this unit to get same burn of ABV. The 4 holes in the inner stem are considerably larger in both pieces received. Very easy to over draw the heater compared to the old glass. 14mm adapter works well with my bong and the PNWT but I think I'll try the old stems with smaller holes to lessen the draw and see how that goes.

RD,

DopeyJ

Has there been any word on the spacers DV has been developing so we don't have to use those glass flowers? I've been using them in mine, and it's working out great, but I still don't like how long it takes to load the chamber. Can take 5 minutes sometimes, and I feel for a vape of this quality, it shouldn't be such a hassle to load. Definitely not something I could load while out and about without drawing attention.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I know with the Ascent there's all these steps, you just want to load up and go. I am looking forward to a spacer. I am happier now with the unit than when I first received my second replacement unit in October.

The battery life in mine lasts about almost 2 hours, not quite the 3 hours that was promised. Maybe the battery life varies from unit to unit, that is longer than most portable vaporizers anyway.

After a week or so of sitting with no charge the battery goes dead. The battery life in the Pinnacle Pro doesn't seem to diminish as quickly while sitting and not in use.

The newer portable vaporizers on the market seem to be improving over time.

The Ascent in my opinion is the best looking portable, I have the black stealth, the black newest model that I saw the black carbon unit looks very nice. I am anxious to see what other units they come out with.

I can see myself buying another unit if I see others with positive results with there's.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
Just got back from a week in Arizona. Brought the Ascent along with me. Had it in a carry on (completely cleaned of course) and had no problem with TSA. Of course it helped that I had sent down some herb ahead of time. :tup:

Anyway...the Ascent performed flawlessly and it was the first time I actually used it as a true portable on the road. I love this thing and hope it lasts for years. :)

Nothing like walking/hiking around Sedona in short sleeves in December gazing at beautiful scenery and puffing on some Crater Lake v.4...very, very nice. :nod::tup::)

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Just got back from a week in Arizona. Brought the Ascent along with me. Had it in a carry on (completely cleaned of course) and had no problem with TSA. Of course it helped that I had sent down some herb ahead of time. :tup:

Anyway...the Ascent performed flawlessly and it was the first time I actually used it as a true portable on the road. I love this thing and hope it lasts for years. :)

Nothing like walking/hiking around Sedona in short sleeves in December gazing at beautiful scenery and puffing on some Crater Lake v.4...very, very nice. :nod::tup::)

Well done all around! And knowing your experience as a vaporist, from FC, it pleases me to learn you're happy with the Ascent.

Vapinghole,
Reactions: Shrike

Hoosier1982

Question here- I know it's probably a stupid one so I apologize in advance!

I am on day 2 of an ascent and trying to get used to it. Still waiting on glass flowers to put in bowl but have been using a jar with no lid in meantime.
Do the jars go face up or face down? Thanks in advance.

Hoosier1982,
Reactions: OF

Smknbud

Question here- I know it's probably a stupid one so I apologize in advance!

I am on day 2 of an ascent and trying to get used to it. Still waiting on glass flowers to put in bowl but have been using a jar with no lid in meantime.
Do the jars go face up or face down? Thanks in advance.
Open side up.

Smknbud,

Norcalsun

How long and at what temp are you supposed to do the burn in for? Should the unit be cleaned in any special way before using? Thanks.

Norcalsun,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
I noticed the croc skin ascent can't be purchased currently - did they find some kind of problems in it?

Nope. Most likely just need more stock from factory.
:)

How long and at what temp are you supposed to do the burn in for? Should the unit be cleaned in any special way before using? Thanks.

1. ISO clean. (Interior ONLY.)

2. Set on Highest temp.

3. Run for 10 min.

4. Look for any vapor. If any, repeat 2-4.

Ok so I buckled and bought an ascent. Wanted croc but got stealth instead still nice looking.

Quick review - pretty awesome. Got a few flakes in my mouth. Taste was right up there with volcano. Got baked. Felt a little stiff on glass on glass. 9.7 outta 10 for first session.

269+tax here in canada right now.

Looks like its gonna be my fav Xmas gift. No way was I waiting for Xmas eve :)

DopeyJ

You already have the spacer, guys. Just put your bud in the bowl and put in the glass jar without the top. Worked great for me.

I've found it doesn't work nearly as well as using the flowers, and using the flowers takes a much longer time to load than a portable should.

Through testing, I've found this is the most efficient method:

1) Place 2 flowers with stems up on the bottom of the bowl
2) Load herb
3) Place 2-3 flowers stems down into the herb, as level as possible to keep the puck a puck, without disturbing the herb or flowers below to keep them level on the chamber's bottom
4) Load as many flowers as it takes to reach the top, trying to place them in such a way to reduce as much air in the chamber as possible, preventing the whole thing from moving at all.

Time to load: 4-6 minutes

If I don't do this method, exactly as stated, my vapor production reduces to almost nothing. This, compared to my Solo, is an excruciatingly annoying loading method after a while. To load my Solo, I just:

1) Suck ground up herb into chamber
2) Place in vape and go

Time to load: 10-20 seconds

So, having a spacer that will let me just dump some herb in, load in the spacer, and start ripping would make this portable truly portable. As it stands now, I either need to load it up before going out, or need a private space and 5 minutes to reload the chamber, which I can't always get when I'm out and about.

They did say they were working on them. I'm just hoping to hear an update.

Norcalsun

I typically like to take 2 to 3 hits then stop for awhile. Can you fill the Ascent bowl full and take a couple hits then turn it off and go back to it later? Or do you have to pack smaller loads using a spacer/glass flowers and vape all of it?

Norcalsun,

Smknbud

I typically like to take 2 to 3 hits then stop for awhile. Can you fill the Ascent bowl full and take a couple hits then turn it off and go back to it later? Or do you have to pack smaller loads using a spacer/glass flowers and vape all of it?
Your method is fine. Just hit it one or two more times after you turn it off since the bowl is still hot and the herb is still cookin.

Lately I've been packing the bowl about near full with a little cotton for a spacer. Take two or three hits with it on and one or two after I turn it off. I can repeat that at least two more times before I deem it spent. I'll usually stir it up between sessions.

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"

please read the thread. this exact question was asked and answered just one page back. sorry i don't want to sound mean but it was just one page ago. i understand reading this whole thread may take some time but you should at least read the last few pages of a thread.

sorry... must not have a had a good enough wake and bake today

mmenzie,
Reactions: nigel

Norcalsun

please read the thread. this exact question was asked and answered just one page back. sorry i don't want to sound mean but it was just one page ago. i understand reading this whole thread may take some time but you should at least read the last few pages of a thread.

sorry... must not have a had a good enough wake and bake today

I have been reading through this thread, if you have, you would have read my post where I stated that I have been reading parts of this thread. Not trying to be mean, just replying. I've been skimming through this thread for a week, just didnt run across an answer so I thought I'd ask. 171 pages takes awhile to read so excuse me if I haven't gotten through and digested all of it yet. I'm recieving my Ascent tomorrow and I'm trying to get ready now so I don't have to keep trying to look up answers.

OF

I've been skimming through this thread for a week, just didnt run across an answer so I thought I'd ask. 171 pages takes awhile to read so excuse me if I haven't gotten through and digested all of it yet. I'm recieving my Ascent tomorrow and I'm trying to get ready now so I don't have to keep trying to look up answers.

Understandable I think, I share the frustration of reading a thread to 'get up to speed' first. They tend to be really cluttered with 'My XXX vape didn't get here', 'I'm going to pull the trigger' and so on posts that really mean next to nothing a week or two later. In there, unfortunately, are the gems of wisdom we seek. This thread's really one of the shorter ones, look at MFLB, Solo, Omicron and Persei, Cera and some of the others......not that it makes reading this one any easier.

I also see the problem from the other side. To have just typed an extensive answer to a question to have it asked again a page later is frustrating as well. I've probably answered 'how do you load Omicron carts?' and 'why can't I get clouds from my TV xxx' over 50 times each. Honestly. It both sucks and is the best game in town.

The Forum Rules do call for reading a thread before posting, but as I say I see how that's not always going to happen.

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you get to know it. IMO there's no real answer to the sort of question you propose, it depends very much on the guy using it, but I hope you got enough information to make plans. As with most vapes, starting with a general technique and experimenting from there is probably the best way to get onto the path of True Enlightenment.

Best wishes with it.

OF

Top Bottom