Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

lwien

See this is what scares me

Why should it scare you.? You may get an Ascent like mine that is virtually flawless. On the other hand, you may get one that needs some work. As far as I know, DV has not hung anyone out to dry by sticking them with a product that does not work right. From what I have seen, they will replace until you are satisfied.

Belgianvapor

The first session with clean tubes gave me a few specks in my mouth but after
a few uses, the oiling up of the glass also starts to work as a "screen" so after a few
uses there are hardly any particles in your mouth.
Looking at that glass screen oiling up makes me hungry for some hot chocolate :-)

on a side note, did anybody already make hot chocolate with the oiled up screen?
How much milk do you use, how oily was the screen? What can I expect?
I know the mushroom man for many years now but I have never had vape-oil-hot chocolate
and I don't like four hour freak out surprises.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
My opinion is less valid than yours?
No! Your opinion is no less valid than OF's, IMO. All new V1.2 units out of the box simply may not function equally well - QC still failing to adequately address narrow design tolerances - therefore slipping through the cracks into the hands of unfortunate consumers. Still too many IMO to take a chance with hard earned coin. Your reluctance to pull the trigger based on reports from disappointed users is well justified. And not until you feel comfortable that a consistent steady stream of positive reports are enough in number to quell your doubts should you go for it. Trust your own best judgement above all else. I too am watching and waiting for the Ascent to establish a longer-standing stellar QC & product reputation before pulling the trigger. I'm liking a lot of what I'm hearing, and still not liking too many things as well. I will continue to rely on FC user reports pro & con to guide my decision. I wish everything could be solved with a glass star, but it can't. Peace!

Last edited:

armin

We get that you are doubtful about the Ascent. You don't need to tell us after every post that mentions something negative. Move along now.
See people like you ruin the community. Just block me if i annoy you. I'm here to learn and get all sides, yet the fanboys always whine and whine.

So how about you move along or just ban me. Geeze. I come on here for some discussion about a product I am looking to purchase and want to make sure I am getting what I need, but some of you just want to flame.

Some of us don't live off trust funds and don't want to blow money on a product that might not be what is promised.

Lame

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
We all get admonished by Admin from time to time... :whip:

On this Forum it is a good thing, because it keeps the flamers and shit stirrers from gaining an upper hand and ruining the Forum, like the fate of many other Forums.

If you find yourself being admonished frequently, then it might mean that you are acting outside the norm that the rest of us have decided is the way we WILL act on this Forum because we like this one very much and want it to stay around.

What you seek on this Forum is completely legit, armin...you seem like a bright guy...tone down the negative reactions to what you read and form the conclusions you know you will need to decide if the Ascent is going to work out for you... :2c::nod::tup::peace:

Eh I found the flowers still werent fool proof from stopping material getting through. Which can't be good your lungs.

When all is said and done...I want to love my DaVinci...I keep coming back to it, hoping some new method will make it better. But still little bits of material do find their way through occasionally, and the vapor production isn't even on par with my vaporblunt 2.0 and there seems to be a lot of wasted vapor out that bottom grill.

However I do only have a 1.0 da vinci, with a 1.1 expected soon...but I don't have hopes this will fix any of my issues.

Maybe the version 1 is different, but if you have vapor out the bottom grill, I only see two reasons:

1. your technique needs work. Don't blow, don't puff, don't send air down the straw.
2. you are covering the straw with heat going. I have noticed that mine seals so well that if I cover the straw while it is heating up, the hot air expands through the bottom of the bowl and the cloud ends up outside me...turrable. Keep your finger off the straw when she is hot.

Could be something else. Let us know if it is.

YesIt'sLoaded,

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
All armin required (and deserved) was direct acknowledgement for his justified concerns. His reiterations expressed a need left unfulfilled. Instead he got deflections in deference to the new & improved (though still not QC perfect) Ascent. I believe my response above duly and honestly addressed his concerns. He deserved no less.

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
See people like you ruin the community. Just block me if i annoy you. I'm here to learn and get all sides, yet the fanboys always whine and whine.

So how about you move along or just ban me. Geeze. I come on here for some discussion about a product I am looking to purchase and want to make sure I am getting what I need, but some of you just want to flame.

Some of us don't live off trust funds and don't want to blow money on a product that might not be what is promised.

Lame

Block you? My dear fellow, you're just the type we moderators have to keep an eye on.

What's lame is getting upset with people who try to point out the problems in your decision process, and posting about your fear of buying one every time someone makes a negative comment. If you want a real discussion, try being nicer. A little reflection on the rules would probably help.

Smokedeye

Can somebody explain how to use the 14mm water tool adapter. I got the ascent and I love it. For spacers I use just some simple oval glass beads. Would like to know if they are harmful somehow. But the water adapter remains a mystery to me.

Smokedeye,
I haven't seen one and people have asked, so I will share my observations on what a first time user should know. Sorry if it seems presumptuous.

Initial Setup:
You should check your charge when you get your vape. They have been coming from the factory with a substantial if not full charge. As tempting as it is to blaze away, charge it first. If your aren't sure if the indicator has lied to you, I've seen a few posts suggesting that unplugging and replugging the charger and if the indicator is "stuck" it will change. Not sure if this is a issue with the new ones. I haven't seen it for many, MANY pages of posts. Mine was fully charged from the factory.

Your vape may have an old serial number. DV says they do not ship anything but the most current version, and my own stealth is the newer revision with an A1 serial number. If you bought it from somewhere else, you should look for the enhancements. The most obvious is a "v" notch stay on the side of the unit.

Most people say you should run it for a while at broil (or whatever the top temp is). This is apparently to "cure" the seals. I did not do it, and I didn't taste or feel anything off. I bought a second vape for my buddy for Christmas, and it appeared to have a bit of something on the seals and in the bowl. This may have been condensate from moving it inside from the cold. Regardless, I don't see how "cooking off" the unit will hurt. They also mention that it might be a good idea to watch the unit when you do this, so you can see if it "smokes". As an observation, silicone has a fantastically high melting point (I pour molten lead into silicone muffin trays to make lead "biscuits"), and I think, but am not certain, that the "smoke" is more likely vapor.

Using the Vape:
The DV Ascent likes to have a full bowl. Some people just fill it, some people use "flowers," or glass tobacco filters, some people use glass beads, and some use the wax/oil jar.

Filling the bowl is self-explanatory, but the bowl is big, so it's also expensive ;). I only really fill and pack it when I am with friends and sharing. Some say pack it, some don't emphasize that. In my observations, packing it does make the clouds more rich.

If you use flowers, you can play with it. Honestly, I've read every post (this vape is too pricey for me to not know every thing I can about it) and there really seems to be a lot of variations with their use. Most put at least one flower in first, pack it a little, and then put at least one more on top, from what I gather. I ordered flowers, but I don't have any, so sorry.

When you use beads, ensure you don't use something that will poison you. Avoid iridescent coatings or the super cheap Chinese ones. Wash them in ISO first. I read an excellent post about how round was absolutely the wrong shape. The square beads seem to be well-liked.

Some have drilled holes in the jar that comes with, and used it as a spacer. I personally use the jar with no holes. It seems to work fine, so I don't wanna drill out a jar until I read more.

The goal in all cases is to increase the surface area and reduce the amount of empty space, while holding down the products.

Prevailing opinion is that you should draw slow. It actually took me a few days to get the breathing right. THIS IS A TECHNIQUE DEPENDENT VAPE. Do it right or you will be here complaining.

This vape needs time to warm up and recover. I've never had a problem hitting it within 20 seconds of hitting temperature. I have seen varying times between hits. I try to give it 30 seconds, and that seems to be enough.

You will know when you are done because you can taste it. For me, it's almost like a burnt popcorn taste. It will also produce less vapor/taste.

Most people are happy with the way it cooks the product evenly without having to stir. I stirred it a few times but it really didn't seem to make a difference so I stopped.

I start around 360. I end around 400.

When You're Done:
This takes a long time to cool down. I see that guys will sometimes snap the stems off the flowers. If you have the jar in don't even think about touching it.

Clean the glass in strong ISO. I put the glass and alcohol in a baggie and let it soak for a few hours. Then I take the glass out, pour in a little kosher salt (cheaper than sea salt where I live), then put glass back in the bag one at a time and shake the hell out of it. The salt will help scour it.

The crap that's left after that (if any) has always rinsed out by just holding it under the faucet.

By all means, if you find better ways, post here. I like better ways!

The design issues have been revised out of it. QC still seems iffy for some people, but customer service does not. If your question is "Does it still..." the answer is no, unless you have a broken one, in which case you should exchange it.

Last edited:

100n3y

I've spent the last 15 min. combing the forum for info so be gentle.

I received my Stealth today in the mail. Looking it over it seems to be free of blemishes so that's good. The OLED screed does have a few smudge'y looking spots on the inside of it, but when turned on it doesn't look so bad. If it works fine I'm thinking I can look passed it in lieu of shipping it back and doing without for several days.

My question is this: How should I go about off-gassing? It's charging currently, but when I removed it from the box I let it heat up all the way once, turned off all the lights and held a flashlight up to it holding it against a black background and didn't notice anything right off-the-bat, but turned it off pretty quick cuz I wanna give it a full charge like a good boy. It does smell a lil, but I expect that to fade after letting it burn for a bit. Do I let it get a full charge and then just let it run for 3 hours till it's dead or what? Thanks in advance for reading and any responses.

100n3y,
Reactions: nigel

100n3y

Wipe it down with ISO and let it burn at 430 for ten minutes and then go to it!

Thanks @mewash2! Big help believe it or not. I went to go wash it down just now and it's been charging for an hour or so and the battery is solid and not blinking. Seems to be fully charged. Reckon it's safe to give it a whirl or should I let it keep charging despite it looking fully charged. I realize how asinine this question may seem, but I don't wanna F anything up ya know? =/

100n3y,

100n3y

Only when you wear polarized sunglasses.

I see what you mean. Threw on the shades and it looks a lil rainbow-y. Not a huge issue. Just gotta figure out if this is gonna be a tale tell heart type issue where it ends up driving me crazy or not. *sigh* 1st world problems.

I gave it a few dry pulls w/o loading it up (not sure if I'm gonna send it back yet or not. Really trying to like it and look passed the screen issue.) and noticed the pull is really tough. I have the first Davinci so I'm semi-familiar with pocket vapes, but definitively not a vet. Is it supposed to be tough to pull air through? If I take out both glass stems it feels wonderful to pull on much like the OG Davinci, but with them in it's pretty labored.

If it's supposed to be this tough, does anyone that's had success with it thus far have any problems with it or do you get used to it?

Last edited:
100n3y,
Top Bottom