Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

armin

How can anyone be sure the bull flowers on amazon that keeps getting posted doesn't have lead in it. It seems like a guessing game at this point

armin,
How can anyone be sure the bull flowers on amazon that keeps getting posted doesn't have lead in it. It seems like a guessing game at this point

The flowers I saw posted were specifically tobacco filters. The chief complain against them was the packing. It's marketed to smokers and as we see in this thread, it only takes one clever person to warn everyone off a bad product, as long as you are willing to read through the reviews.

I feel fairly secure.

YesIt'sLoaded,
Reactions: CMD and OF

Vaporcussion

Hello fellow vaporists! Question on the Ascent. If you drop it, would the two pieces of glass inside shatter?

Vaporcussion,
Reactions: armin

vapecapz

Hello fellow vaporists! Question on the Ascent. If you drop it, would the two pieces of glass inside shatter?

Not easily, if at all is my guess. Just a guess however, unless someone around here is willing to test it out? I'd probably be more paranoid about dropping it on the display screen side.

vapecapz,
Reactions: OF

OF

You can test it? There are cheap test kits for this available (hardware stores, on line....) if you want to confirm it yourself I guess. I had one unit left and had a couple of other things I wanted to test so I did at least one batch of flowers with them. None had lead as I suspected.

From a practical standpoint it's a true PITA to make Lead Crystal, more so to work with it which is why the stuff is so much more expensive than normal glass. And heavier but a lot, should you care to test that way too, you can probably do it by density. Drop a carefully weighed bunch into a graduated cylinder half full of water, be sure there are no trapped bubbles and do the math. You should easily hit within 10% and IIRC Lead Crystal is a fair bit more than that.

I see no reason why someone would use much more expensive material than necessary, nor are they willing to pay higher skilled workers more money to make them from that material. They want cheap and easy.....like some of the guys I know.....

My advice is 'not to worry', but in the end that's your call.

I don't think anyone around here is willing to take one for the team to find out.

Agreed. But I can think of a couple of guys we could trip........

OF

Vaporcussion

Ok, thanks! I was curious if there was any drop test done by the company. I'm imagining the "pass" between friends, and if it dropped with the mouthpiece extended out, how easily it might break.

Vaporcussion,

denalus

not a parking meter ;)
I don't think anyone around here is willing to take one for the team to find out.
Actually, mine did drop from an end table to hardwood floor (~2.5') when I tripped over the charging cable while the unit was charging. The Ascent landed display face down. A second after feeling my heart explode at what I thought would be the worst, I quickly picked it up & examined it. Only damage was a couple small chips of paint missing from the left vertical black metal bit between the aluminium sides & rubber center on the Stealth. Each chip <1mm. One has to really be checking carefully to even notice. Modest (inadvertent) drop test successfully survived.

den

OF

Ok, thanks! I was curious if there was any drop test done by the company. I'm imagining the "pass" between friends, and if it dropped with the mouthpiece extended out, how easily it might break.

If it's stowed the glass is all pretty well protected I think (being mounted in soft rubber), extended it's a piece of glass with a weight on one end......

OF

°k

The sound of vapor
No need! One of our beloved review unit tester took the hit already!
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ascent-vaporizer-by-davinci.9885/page-9#post-407143

I have been super busy here with yard work. Just that time of year. Anyway, things are still going great with the Ascent. I had a bit of an unfortunate accident. It fell out of my shirt pocket when I was bending over to pick something up. It fell about 3-4ft to the concrete floor of the hardware store and slid a bit. I was mortified! One of those moments where time slows as it is falling to the floor...

Anyway everything pretty much held up. The mouthpiece/draw stem got a minor crack in the bottom, but it did not crack all the way though. Everything else was fine. So for people worried that everything would break with a slight fall... it holds up pretty well. I thought for sure I would have had a shattered mouthpiece or filter. It is still completely usable. Will need to get a replacement mouthpiece eventually. So there you have it... unintentional stress test passed. ;)

VapeZombie

Hi, I've been following this thread and ordered an ascent based on some of the reviews of the updated model. I just got it in the mail and when I turned it on I noticed the display is off center. When the temperature is displayed the last number gets partially cut off. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem with there ascent.

VapeZombie,

lwien

Hi, I've been following this thread and ordered an ascent based on some of the reviews of the updated model. I just got it in the mail and when I turned it on I noticed the display is off center. When the temperature is displayed the last number gets partially cut off. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem with there ascent.

Nope. Mine is perfectly centered.

lwien,

Pistons13

Really keen to get an Ascent. However am only willing to if the offgassing problems have been addressed. I'm guessing they haven't yet? If that's the case I'd probably opt for the Arizer Solo

Pistons13,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
My new unit nor my original ascent ever had any off gassing issues. My gripes were purely cosmetic on my first one and the new one is about as flawless as I could ask for.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,
Really keen to get an Ascent. However am only willing to if the offgassing problems have been addressed. I'm guessing they haven't yet? If that's the case I'd probably opt for the Arizer Solo

That is fixed in the newer models. Mine has no problem

YesIt'sLoaded,

VapingBad

I haven't fallowed the thread for long, so idk if it's been covered, but anyone else have issues with the unit leaking incoming air from multiple places? Mine seems to be pretty bad, I fixed it some by using the replacement inner sleeve, the og one didn't fit very tight, I assume the glass manufacturer had to be within a tolerance range with size, so if u have a smaller diameter inner sleeve, it really lacks the seal needed for a slow draw, u end up sucking air that tastes like the surrounding plastic, I think that's what happens when I heard someone say the hit "Farted out" or something, u end up burning it all up and not getting much from it except a few whifts mixed with plastic air. I think with a better sealed unit (maybe just a better sealed sleeve connection) and the glass flower idea ( I picked some up at a smoke/head shop, ask for glass screens, I had to ask a couple times), this could be a good unit, but as of now I'm not impressed, 3 days into it and sadly I ended up grabbing my pax on the way out the door today, I have high hopes good compression will give the control needed, but there's a lot of leaks, lower an upper halves, and if sleeve leaks (take inner and outer sleeve out and pressure test while together and covering "screen" holes) than all around the oled leaks, as well as all of the seems. Pax is a milkshake cause it has compression, with no material it breaths easy. Let me know if I should read more, just a lot of info last couple days with release

Would be nice if someone could put together a current "tips" and "best solutions" post, just to summarize, I read like a page and just said $&@$ it, I'll post like the noob I am here. Anyone getting better per gram results from the ascent than pax (only pax to compare, tried other vapes but not enough testing for me to know)

I'll try a few more, guessing looser pack with new glass flowers might help

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Three posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
VapingBad,

Belgianvapor

Hi, just recieved my ascent today, it came 70% charged (just a guess) and when I plugged it in, it was fully charged after about an hour or so, I tried looking it up here but to be honest I'm too ancious to try it out, so does it mean the battery is full or do I still better wait for a couple of hours and leave it on the charger.
by the way, first time I recieved a vape from over seas where I didn't have to pay another two vapes worth to customs, big thanks DaVinci !
( don't bite my head off if it's been discussed just a few pages back, I try to follow all the threads as good as possible but the more vapes you have, the more threads you want to follow...damn vas!)

Belgianvapor,

°k

The sound of vapor
Hi, just recieved my ascent today, it came 70% charged (just a guess) and when I plugged it in, it was fully charged after about an hour or so, I tried looking it up here but to be honest I'm too ancious to try it out, so does it mean the battery is full or do I still better wait for a couple of hours and leave it on the charger.
by the way, first time I recieved a vape from over seas where I didn't have to pay another two vapes worth to customs, big thanks DaVinci !
( don't bite my head off if it's been discussed just a few pages back, I try to follow all the threads as good as possible but the more vapes you have, the more threads you want to follow...damn vas!)
Da Vinci QC them so the Ascents arrive partly charged, if you've charged to full then you're good to go with some off gassing test!

Belgianvapor

so....I just tested the ascent for the first time....
Now...what you all are talking about, the tamping and the beads and the pucks and the stirring and the...
are we talking about the same device here?
I filled the oven with two good scoops from the pipe tool (I might use more in my pinnacle, wich doesn't use alot at all) and I didn't tamp it, didn't add anything.
I must say, I like (since lately) higher temps, so I started on 202°C (396F) wich it reached blazing fast and from the first pull I had vapor, wich got denser by the pull, hard, slow, didn't matter, it all gave me great vapor, then, after about 5 minutes or so, I upped the temp to 210°C (410F) and got the same great vapor and nice taste.
Abv was nice brown.
Am I missing something here or is the tamping and beads for the real big cloud people on here?
All in all, I like this thing alot and I'm sure it's going to be liked even more the next few days.

*edit* just tried with a very small scoop (mflb worth) and got more than 10 inhales with visible vapor, I had it up to 220°C at the end but still had great flavor.

Two minor things, maybe, just to be a bit of a jerk, are that when I fill it, I can see herbs falling trough the holes on the bottom and every time I put the straw in my mouth to inhale I see a puff of vapor going out of the back, need to work on that one.
The battery is awesome, stays full, only when using it goes down, when I shut it down and restart it later, battery shows full again.
One question, does this thing really heats that fast or is it trying to fool me? when I go from lets say 202 to 215 it is almost immediatly at that temp, it seems to rise almost as fast as I push the plus button. Makes me think the ascent is just trying to fool me and says it's up there but in the meanwhile still is climbing?

Last edited:

Vapodudule

Okay fellows, Ascent is in my hand. Almost fully charged, no offgassing. I immediately cut a screen for the bottom of the bowl to cover the four holes.

I machined two oil cans by 3 holes in the bottom.

First session, oil can with holes not tamped. i had too much material in my mouth, so i cut a screen for MP too!

Second session a puck in the bottom of the bowl and an oilcan w/ holes on the top. I extracted lots of goods. But the puck solution restricted the heat avalaible flux

I am lacking some glass flowers , some are coming.

Great unit overwhole, not a single previously described default.:clap:

vapecapz

Eh I found the flowers still werent fool proof from stopping material getting through. Which can't be good your lungs.

When all is said and done...I want to love my DaVinci...I keep coming back to it, hoping some new method will make it better. But still little bits of material do find their way through occasionally, and the vapor production isn't even on par with my vaporblunt 2.0 and there seems to be a lot of wasted vapor out that bottom grill.

However I do only have a 1.0 da vinci, with a 1.1 expected soon...but I don't have hopes this will fix any of my issues.

vapecapz,

armin

Eh I found the flowers still werent fool proof from stopping material getting through. Which can't be good your lungs.

When all is said and done...I want to love my DaVinci...I keep coming back to it, hoping some new method will make it better. But still little bits of material do find their way through occasionally, and the vapor production isn't even on par with my vaporblunt 2.0 and there seems to be a lot of wasted vapor out that bottom grill.

However I do only have a 1.0 da vinci, with a 1.1 expected soon...but I don't have hopes this will fix any of my issues.
That's a lot of coin for a device that needs to be tweaked and hacked to work. Keep us posted. Posts like this keep me from pulling the trigger.

armin,
Top Bottom